Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need a New Headset 2.0
PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 8:45 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
So it's been a while since I got my last set of headphones. Here's the last thread I made on the subject back in 2011.

I ended up getting the Razer Carcharias. They were very comfortable and worked well for a little while...but then the left headphone went out and I've been using the speakers on my comp ever since for output. It's probably a simple problem like loose wires in the headphone or audio controller, but I don't know if I could fix it myself or if an electronic place in town would know what to do. I still use the mic on the headset, though, as it still works. Anyway, the point is I need a new headset...hopefully one that will last a bit longer than my previous choices.

To revise a bit from my previous thread, I am looking for a headset that (in this specific order)...
1. is durable (can last longer than a year or two if not longer).
2. is comfortable on the ears (has padding of some sort and doesn't rub).
3. is cheap (preferably $150 or less).
4. has good sound quality (no explanation needed here).
5. has a good mic (doesn't take in ambient sounds ideally).

So far, I have two recommendations from friends, both a bit on the pricey end of the spectrum. First up is the ASTRO Gaming A50 Wireless Headset ($300). Second is the Mad Catz AX 720 Gaming Headset ($162) which was recommended to me by Earth and now another friend. I've heard nothing but good things about Astros. As far as I know, they are the top of the line when it comes to gaming headsets, but their products do come at a premium. The typical A50, A40, and A30 headsets run roughly $300, $250, and $200 respectively. I've never heard of Mad Catz, but upon a quick browse of their headsets, they seem to be pretty good...a step or two below Astros. They are much closer to my price range, but still just a little bit above it.

I do believe the saying "you get what you pay for" is completely true for gaming headsets. Having used $30 Logitechs which were utter crap, my current $80 Razer Carcharias which were much better (but lacked in the durability department), and now looking at my friends who spent more for their headsets and are having better results than me, I'm convinced I need to up my game (punny?) and my budget a bit and reach a little higher for something better.

So, with all that said, I leave this thread open to whatever recommendations the community has for me. I'd like to know 1) what do you personally use, 2) what do your friends use, and finally 3) what have you heard or seen is good from everywhere else. Keep in mind that I'm looking for a PC gaming headset, though I know many of the top of the line headsets are compatible with PC and other platforms as well. Rest assured though, the headset I buy will only be used for PC gaming. Thanks in advance guys.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 8:45 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: Need a New Headset 2.0
PostPosted: May 12th, 2013, 5:45 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... =1&IsVirtualParent=1

i like these. the folding ability is nice because i am constantly on the move and i can stick that in my backpack without much worry.

fits well and sound quality is good for me.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 5:55 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Chief. Snake
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
You're right about paying for quality with headsets (sadly). My $20 Sony headphones are amazing and have lasted me something like a dozen years, but headsets just seem to feel flimsy until you get past the $100-mark. (NZD though so...)

Stay away from Logitech, in my opinion. Their top end headsets are fairly delicate.

I have a Turtle Beach P11 headset which is nice but not quite premium quality. One of my friends has the PX21 which is a bit more robust but slightly more expensive. Pretty cheap next to those options though. :P

Most of my friends use Turtle Beach headsets (X12, P11, PX21 and some other model similar to the X12) and a couple have the high end wired and wireless Logitech ones. I'm not really sure why there isn't more variety amongst the people I know but I looked at all of theirs before I picked my P11.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 10:11 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
For what it's worth, I still use the same headset that I recommended in your last thread. With that model getting hard to find, it's probably not a good option anymore because it's definitely not worth more than $40. I really like it still because it is extremely lightweight, but it would be really easy to break if care is not taken with the thin plastic.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2013, 9:02 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
RS Status: Retired
I personally love my Astro A40s. They are so soft around my ears but a little on the heavy side but I can use them for my PC, Xbox 360, PS4, and Wii U and the audio is crystal clear. This is the head set I personally prefer, even though they cost $250.

I have also never been yelled at for having a ******* audio quality from my friends and I can also hear in excellent quality how many random gamers on Xbox live have slept with my mother. ;)

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \