Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 60TB harddrives coming soon
PostPosted: October 1st, 2012, 3:20 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
RS Status: P2P
In theory, HAMR should allow for areal densities up to 10 terabits per square inch (magnetic bits just 1nm long!), and thus desktop hard drives in the 60TB range. Meanwhile, conventional perpendicular recording is expected to hit one terabit in the next few years, but the roadmap to greater densities isn’t very clear. There is no word on the cost of HAMR drives, or whether the addition of a laser will significantly impact power consumption or I/O performance.

The biggest winner from larger hard drives, of course, is cloud storage and computing — but then again, the other angle is that you’ll have so much local storage that the cloud seems a bit pointless, especially when we all have 100Mbps internet connections. But then again, with the unstoppable surge of smartphones and tablets and flash memory, do mechanical hard drives really have a future in consumer electronics?

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/12 ... -drives-on-their-way

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 1st, 2012, 3:20 pm 

Post subject: Re: 60TB harddrives coming soon
PostPosted: October 1st, 2012, 5:09 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Too much info? :P

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2012, 1:11 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
I'm pretty sure that a 7200rpm mechanical drive will be faster than trying to access the internet for everything. Not to mention LAG. Lag will always be a fact of the internet and will always be there to make you angry.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2012, 6:23 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
I almost don't want to know what the failure rate on a 60TB drive would be. That kind of density, any minute problem and you could lose huge amounts of data.

That being said, I can't wait for larger drives. Not only is having access to that kind of storage fantastic, it also means that the other drives *should* come down in price. I wouldn't mind having a few 3TB drives lying around for backup and general storage purposes.