Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: pc magazine says window 8 will fail
PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 5:39 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
RS Status: P2P
Windows 8 Shows Desktop Will Go the Way of the Dodo
The Desktop in Windows 8 is little more than an afterthought, by design. I've got the evidence that shows why Microsoft hopes to kill it off as soon as it can.

The first piece of evidence is the most obvious: When you boot into Windows 8, you boot into the Metro interface, not the Desktop. I've nosed around various options, and haven't figured out a way to boot into the Desktop, so even if it's possible, Microsoft has made it very hard to do. (If the last thing you were doing before leaving your PC was use the Desktop, and Windows 8 goes to sleep in the interim, you'll head into the Desktop when you wake it from sleep, of course, because Windows goes to the last app you used before it slept.) If Microsoft wanted to keep the Desktop around for the long term, it would have made it simple to boot into the Desktop.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251120/w ... odo.html#tk.rss_news

More in the link, looks like window 8 is another testing OS

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 5:39 pm 

Post subject: Re: pc magazine says window 8 will fail
PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 7:18 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I was already looking forward to Windows 9 before this supposed piece of crap was even announced.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 8:01 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
The pattern has been repeating for a while, every other (non-business) Microsoft OS is bad. I guess it's because with every other OS they test the waters, and then fix everything up on the next release.

Why they can't just give out win7 SP2 is beyond me, win8 doesn't look much more than 7 with less mouse compatibility and more tablet features.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2012, 9:24 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Cliff Dude wrote:
Why they can't just give out win7 SP2 is beyond me, win8 doesn't look much more than 7 with less mouse compatibility and more tablet features.

$$

There are quite a few changes that are worthy of the OS change. With that said, I'm still hoping they'll let users set the desktop to come up instead of the start menu / Metro UI. I mean, hell, the only time I ever saw the start menu on login was in highschool...

I can see it being useful for a purely touch-based device such as a tablet, but on a laptop or desktop, I don't see how it is good. I like the concept, everything Metro being sandboxed, the app store at some point, etc. But throwing almost all of the system tools into Metro doesn't make sense.