Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Feds Shut Down MegaUpload
PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 1:43 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
http://techland.time.com/2012/01/19/fed ... ile-sharing-website/

McLEAN, Va. (AP) — One of the world’s largest file-sharing sites was shut down Thursday, and its founder and several company executives were charged with violating piracy laws, federal prosecutors said.

An indictment accuses Megaupload.com of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed one day after websites including Wikipedia and Craigslist shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to thwart online piracy.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 1:43 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: Feds Shut Down MegaUpload
PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 2:23 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
So true.
Edohiguma wrote:
Here's the important part: "But the Motion Picture Association of America, which has campaigned for a crackdown on piracy, estimated that the vast majority of content being
shared on Megaupload was in violation of copyright laws."

The MPAA, which only produces crap these days, estimates and the Feds jump. The MPAA has no evidence. All they have is an estimate, a claim, yet that is enough to shut down the site. That's exactly what the whistleblowers were pointing at. No due process or evidence required. One party complains and that's it.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 2:37 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
RS Status: P2P
I hope the same doesn't happen to mediafire, that is like the best place for quick large-file uploading. I use it for many legitimate purposes.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 5:13 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
Anon shut down the feds... Meanwhile a bear ******* on some leaves.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 5:25 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Well done. True, MegaUpload can be used for legal means but the vast majority of the links I've seen on the internet are for sharing something illegally. I'm not sure on the particulars of the matter but I'm sure MegaUpload was offered the opportunity to take down the offending content.

Now back to the whole SOPA/PIPA thing, by this example the US already can take down their own websites. SOPA/PIPA would only be for foreign hosted websites. From the extension of this case today do you see the government taking down YouTube or Facebook for someone posting a pirated video or similar? No. By this logic SOPA/PIPA would not spell the end of websites like YouTube or Facebook. Only websites that don't comply would be blocked from being viewed in the US.

Firering401 wrote:

That's what's called cyber terrorism. Anonymous is stifling exactly what they are saying they stand up for, freedom of expression. Why should websites that are against what the anonymous organization stands for be blasted off the internet? In that right shouldn't the groups who were taken down by anonymous be able to strike back at anonymous?

And for those who say it isn't terrorism, it becomes terrorism when you target the government, disrupt business (paypal), and prevent honest people from carrying on with their lives.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 5:58 pm 
BANNED

Shane wrote:
Firering401 wrote:

That's what's called cyber terrorism. Anonymous is stifling exactly what they are saying they stand up for, freedom of expression. Why should websites that are against what the anonymous organization stands for be blasted off the internet? In that right shouldn't the groups who were taken down by anonymous be able to strike back at anonymous?

And for those who say it isn't terrorism, it becomes terrorism when you target the government, disrupt business (paypal), and prevent honest people from carrying on with their lives.

My opinion is: It isn't terrorism, terrorism is an overused word invented by the Bush administration. Terrorists are stinky arabs who **** in caves and bomb people

P.S FBI.gov = down

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
BANNED

Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Shane wrote:

Shane is right. What Anonymous is doing is completely against what they stand for. They believe in non-democratic practices, yet preach liberation. Obviously democracy has prevailed in SOPA since now president Obama and more than half of congress are against SOPA, meaning it has 0% chance of passing.

Firering401 wrote:

My opinion is: It isn't terrorism, terrorism is an overused word invented by the Bush administration. Terrorists are stinky arabs who **** in caves and bomb people

P.S FBI.gov = down

Excuse me? How did the Bush administration invent terrorism? Clinton was fighting against it before Bush was in office. Do you think the conflict int he middle east with terrorism began with Bush? No, we have been hunting terrorists since Bush Sr.

Terrorists are arabs? Here is just a copy and paste from a list of non-Muslim terrorists.

Anti-Government/Anti-Tax Extremists: There have been 36 plots by right-wing extremists since 9/11. These attacks include Joseph Stack’s suicide attack on a Texas IRS building and Joshua Cartwright, who became enraged after the election of Barack Obama and “believed that the US Government was conspiring against him.”

KKK/NeoNazi/White Supremacist: There have been 27 plots by white supremacists since 9/11. These attacks include a 2004 letter bombing of the Arizona Office of Diversity and Dialogue that injured three employees.

Unknown/Miscellaneous: There were five attacks that federal crime officials did not categorize.

Christian Extremists/Anti-Abortion: There were three attacks by anti-abortion extremists and Christian extremists. The killing of abortion provider George Tiller is the most prominent of these attacks.

Black Supremacist Cults: There were two plots by black supremacist cults.

Jewish Extremists: There were two plots by Jewish extremists. The most prominent of these was a plot by Robert Goldstein to attack a local Islamic center with home made C4 and other explosives.

Extreme Anti-Immigrant: There were two plots by anti-immigrant extremists. One of these was the attack by Shawn Forde, who murdered a Queens deli clerk and was motivated by racist and anti-immigrant feelings.

Anti-Jewish: There was one plot by an anti-Semitic extremist. Norman Leboon made anti-Semitic threats against Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA).

Anarchist: There was a single plot by an anarchist. Joseph D. Konopka “wreaked havoc in 13 counties by setting fires, disrupting radio and television broadcasts, disabling an air traffic control system, selling counterfeit software, and damaging the computer system of an Internet service provider.”

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 6:02 pm 
BANNED

Ranging God wrote:
Shane wrote:

Shane is right. What Anonymous is doing is completely against what they stand for. They believe in non-democratic practices, yet preach liberation. Obviously democracy has prevailed in SOPA since now president Obama and more than half of congress are against SOPA, meaning it has 0% chance of passing.

An appressed people have 2 rights in an oppressive senario. A constitutional right to amend the government or a revolutionary right to overthrow it. (Abe Lincoln)

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 6:04 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Firering401 wrote:
Ranging God wrote:
Shane wrote:

An appressed people have 2 rights in an oppressive senario. A constitutional right to amend the government or a revolutionary right to overthrow it. (Abe Lincoln)

Considering how Anonymous is not all Americans, and considering how simple online protests (site's doing a blackout day, petitions being signed) has clearly worked, the terrorism that was done was not needed.

Firering401, i would highly advise you to read the essay I just posted. You may learn something.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 6:09 pm 
BANNED

And for those who say it isn't terrorism, it becomes terrorism when you target the government, disrupt business (paypal), and prevent honest people from carrying on with their lives.[/quote]

Shane is right. What Anonymous is doing is completely against what they stand for. They believe in non-democratic practices, yet preach liberation. Obviously democracy has prevailed in SOPA since now president Obama and more than half of congress are against SOPA, meaning it has 0% chance of passing.[/quote]

An appressed people have 2 rights in an oppressive senario. A constitutional right to amend the government or a revolutionary right to overthrow it. (Abe Lincoln)[/quote]

Considering how Anonymous is not all Americans, and considering how simple online protests (site's doing a blackout day, petitions being signed) has clearly worked, the terrorism that was done was not needed.

Firering401, i would highly advise you to read the essay I just posted. You may learn something.[/quote]

I read it, I know what I said... And I knew 99% of what you said.. I said what I said on purpose, it wasn't an accident

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 6:36 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Firering401 wrote:

What?

Firering401 wrote:

Origin: 1785–95; terror + -ism
The word has been around a while...

Firering401 wrote:
I read it, I know what I said... And I knew 99% of what you said.. I said what I said on purpose, it wasn't an accident

Firering401 wrote:
Terrorists are stinky arabs who **** in caves and bomb people

Why did you focus on the Arabic terrorists? As Ranging God said, there are many, many more kinds of terrorists, a lot of which probably have much more to do with cyberterrorism than those in the Middle East. If you said what you said on purpose, could you explain why you focused on them?

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 7:50 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
"What anonymous stands for"

What do they even stand for? It's just a name lmao it's not even a group. They stand for nothing. Some hackers took out a website for whatever reason and they don't put their name out HEY I DID THIS LOL FUNNY RITE. Doesn't mean they acted on or represented a non-existent group.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 11:33 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Southrend
RS Status: Classic
Everytime I hear something about Anonymous taking down websites, I instantly remember this xkcd comic:

Anonymous is so childish and I think an DDoS attack should not considered to be hacking.

Proud RSB&B Member #570 since 12/27/04
Proud RSB&B Mod since 7/24/05

PostPosted: January 21st, 2012, 12:43 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Firering, the point is piracy shouldn't be taking place at all. What's the use of copyright laws and protections if they aren't enforced? Regardless how you may feel about record companies, the MPAA, or any other similar business, they own the material and the right to distribute it. If a website can't keep control of what is put out on the internet, it's only fair the Feds step up and protect the rights of copyrights holders. Also, usually how the government works is that they shut down a site, investigate, and then reopen the site or leave it closed depending on what they find. The MPAA doesn't have the power to shut down a website distributing its content, but the government does. Any claim made by the MPAA or whoever has to be taken seriously and investigated regardless of evidence or proof. Chances are MegaUpload is used for piracy and is rightly being shut down by the Feds.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: January 21st, 2012, 4:51 pm 
BANNED

Duke Juker wrote:
Firering, the point is piracy shouldn't be taking place at all. What's the use of copyright laws and protections if they aren't enforced? Regardless how you may feel about record companies, the MPAA, or any other similar business, they own the material and the right to distribute it. If a website can't keep control of what is put out on the internet, it's only fair the Feds step up and protect the rights of copyrights holders. Also, usually how the government works is that they shut down a site, investigate, and then reopen the site or leave it closed depending on what they find. The MPAA doesn't have the power to shut down a website distributing its content, but the government does. Any claim made by the MPAA or whoever has to be taken seriously and investigated regardless of evidence or proof. Chances are MegaUpload is used for piracy and is rightly being shut down by the Feds.

I don't pirate anything - what in God's name gives the MPAA and the RIAA to govern me? I barely consume anything, let alone consume illegally.