Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Healthy Breakfast
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 4:06 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
I have been eating a rather large bowl of cereal (chereos, Lucky charms, etc) for breakfast for over a year. I have recently emphasized attempting to loose weight. My current eating arrangement for breakfast is likely over 500 calories, for one bowl. This isn't really acceptable, as the food is "junk" and provides too many calories.

So, I call to you RSBANDBCOMMUNITY:

- Do you have any healthy breakfast ideas (preferably under 350 calories). I have considered eating 2 banannas, but I am unsure what the most fulfilling eating arrangement is for breakfast.

- What do you personally eat for breakfast?

I have considered switching to scrambled eggs, or 2 bananas (large bananas).

On a side note, related to health, I was considering switching to this eating arrangement (link1 ----- link2). But I currently live with my family (and will for another year), and I don't usually choose what I am eating (in terms of what is cooked), so I will be unable to do this until I move out and go to college.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 4:06 pm 
BANNED

Post subject: Re: Healthy Breakfast
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 4:51 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Parselmouth
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: DGS
I have 2 bowls of Cheerios with milk every day and have done so for as long as I can remember. I consider this to be plenty healthy, if I wanted I could add a fruit or something in there which I occasionally do. I don't consider this "junk" at all.

Why do you want to limit your breakfast to <350 calories? Especially at a young age and the fact that it's your first meal of the day, this seems like a bad idea.

RSN: Parselmouth | Jaysawn on ********

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 6:09 pm 
BANNED

Jason wrote:
I have 2 bowls of Cheerios with milk every day and have done so for as long as I can remember. I consider this to be plenty healthy, if I wanted I could add a fruit or something in there which I occasionally do. I don't consider this "junk" at all.

Why do you want to limit your breakfast to <350 calories? Especially at a young age and the fact that it's your first meal of the day, this seems like a bad idea.

Nah, I need to drop > 15 pounds.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 6:30 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
I don't know much but as far as I know it's a lot better to have a bigger breakfast and cut out later in the day. Something I read was like most people eat in a pyramid, least at breakfast and the most at the end of the day, but that pyramid should be reversed with most at breakfast and least at end of day.
Something else I think I know is that it's better to have smaller meals spread over the day rather than a couple of big ones.

I don't even eat breakfast most of the time though... or lunch. So I'm not a guy to ask about eating properly

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 6:40 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Eggs or real oatmeal.

Also, to lose 15 pounds, just intake around 1900 calories a day, and eat 5 small meals a day.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 6:44 pm 
BANNED

Ranging God wrote:
Eggs or real oatmeal.

Also, to lose 15 pounds, just intake around 1900 calories a day, and eat 5 small meals a day.

I was thinking about half that..

I lost about 15 pounds last time, now I just need to finish.. But I have actual time to make something decent in the morning, so I see no reason to keep eating cereal.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 6:44 pm 
BANNED

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 9:29 pm 
Runite Member

Ring wrote:
Jason wrote:

I was trying to get what Warren was getting at by saying that you should be skimping out later in the day rather than earlier. Still don't get why you are hating on cereal :p The sugar cereals are crap but stuff like Cheerios and anything from Kashi or those natural brands are perfectly healthy.

If you goal is to lose weight, skimping out on breakfast is also not the thing you want to be doing. Changing what you eat and even more importantly exercise should be the focus, not just eating less food.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2012, 5:49 am 
BANNED

Jason wrote:
Ring wrote:
Jason wrote:

I was trying to get what Warren was getting at by saying that you should be skimping out later in the day rather than earlier. Still don't get why you are hating on cereal :p The sugar cereals are crap but stuff like Cheerios and anything from Kashi or those natural brands are perfectly healthy.

If you goal is to lose weight, skimping out on breakfast is also not the thing you want to be doing. Changing what you eat and even more importantly exercise should be the focus, not just eating less food.

Believe it or not, Honey chereos has about the same amount of calories as Fruit loops and lucky charms.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2012, 8:29 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
How can you accurately tell how many calories are in a bowl of cereal. Surely the size of the bowl and portion messes that whole thing up.

Besides cereal is not a reason for being fat. Nobody ever got fat from eating cereal.

I eat thisfor breakfast daily and I'm built like a greek god.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2012, 9:43 am 
Runite Member

Ring wrote:
Believe it or not, Honey chereos has about the same amount of calories as Fruit loops and lucky charms.

I am fully aware that the calories in all cereals are pretty similar, as no matter what cereal you eat it's all about the same size and consistency, but calories aren't the bad thing you need to be cutting out. It's all the simple sugars they pack in to those cereals like fruit loops and lucky charms that are what's wrong with them.

I know I'm beating this point dead but I must defend my cereals! :P

PostPosted: May 24th, 2012, 12:07 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
I usually eat nothing for breakfast.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2012, 1:39 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Bonsai99 wrote:
I usually eat nothing for breakfast.

^

If I do, it's typically a glass of chocolate milk.

If I were you Ring, I wouldn't cut back on your breakfast. Cut back on other meals like lunch and dinner or have smaller meals or snacks throughout the day so you aren't as hungry at lunch and dinner. Don't skip breakfast or make it smaller. As for cereals, most have about the same amount of calories. Where they differ is how much sugar they have. Cheerios is about as base as you can go in terms of cereal and would probably be good to stick to since excess sugar doesn't help. If you have milk with your cereal, pick a milk with less fat content (2% is good, 1% is as low as I'd go, skim if you really want to be healthy). Other than that, just exercise and be more active.

In terms of a healthy breakfast, I'd throw in a banana along with cereal. Also, adding something like orange juice would be helpful, too. A bowl of cereal, orange juice, and a banana should be sufficient.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: May 24th, 2012, 3:34 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Ring wrote:
Ranging God wrote:
Eggs or real oatmeal.

I was thinking about half that..

I lost about 15 pounds last time, now I just need to finish.. But I have actual time to make something decent in the morning, so I see no reason to keep eating cereal.

No, half of that (900 calories) is crazy unhealthy. You may lose weight fast, but it will be unhealthy and you will gain it all back after. A 1900 calories diet will make you lose weight at a steady, healthy rate.

So, what I suggest is a high protein breakfast, something like eggs, then a small snack, like almonds, a 500ish lunch, another snack, and the rest of your calories in dinner and the after dinner snack. A good tip is to not eat anything after 9pm.

Also, make your you are drinking a lot of water between meals. Don't drink more than 16oz of water during a meal since it will make your body not be able to absorb and breakdown the food as well.

Splitting your meals into 5 small ones will also boost your metabolism.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2012, 3:35 pm 
BANNED

Today I ate the following:

1 banana and 1 apple for breakfast
1 sandwitch with 2 pieces of 80 calorie bread and some meat
2 pieces of toast with 80 calorie bread
several sticks of gum and glasses of water
the chicken and rice stuff that my family ate for dinner

and I feel good, so I guess that worked for the first day of break

PostPosted: May 24th, 2012, 5:27 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: iZant
Clan Name: Apocalypse Slayers
I usually get a Cajun Fillet biscuit from Bojangles on my way to school every morning, with a side of Bo'Tato rounds and an iced tea.