Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What motivates you?
PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 11:58 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Jamandy52
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: 1elitesc / Jamandy52
What motivates you guys when you are training a skill?

Is it an achievement like a skill cape? The ability to access new stuff? Is it a person or a clan?

I'm always curious about what motivates people.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 11:58 am 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: What motivates you?
PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 12:27 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Scotland DIY
RS Status: Old School (2007)
I like showing off, the best way to do that is to get higher skills.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 9:13 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Initially, for my first 99, it was to achieve a 99. I don't think you can be a true Runescape player without achieving a 99 at least once. I got both Firemaking and Cooking the same day. Firemaking I wanted because it's my favorite skill. Cooking was easy and fast to train. If a skill doesn't take long to train, then I can stay motivated. As for Woodcutting, my brother got 99 Woodcutting and part of my motivation to get it was because he got it. So speed and to equal other people's achievements.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 2:32 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Addiv
Setting goals and trying to achieve them interests me. There are usually a half dozen of them that I work on depending on my mood but motivation is almost always goal based.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 5:46 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
Having fun is my biggest motivator. I am not interested in hi-scores, but gaining a 99 in a skill gives a sense of accomplishment. I am not one to spend hours and hours on just one aspect of the game; I'll usually do several different things when I log on, such as a herb run, then off to fight Barrows Brothers, then maybe some slayer, etc. I currently have two goals set for myself. One is to get all my skills to 95, but I am in no hurry to get there. I don't want the game to feel like a chore, where I MUST do something when I log on. My second is to fight the Barrows Brothers until I have attained every piece of their equipment from looting the tombs, and to help myself keep going, I record the results for this on youtube. So, while goals and achievements do motivate in part of the way, fun is still the biggest one.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzooUvr8ksScMFQ8Hmp7osQ/videos ~my youtube channel

PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 12:10 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
RS Status: Retired
I really don't know how to explain it, RS just has a special appeal to make those pretty little numbers go up and up and up. I suppose it's just setting a goal and watching those numbers rise, ultimately getting a 99 (after so long still hasn't happened for me and probably never will since I've quit).

ImageImage

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 12:10 am 
Runite Member

PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 10:32 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
i don't know. I truly believe, what keeps me playing RS is waiting for the elf quest to finish up.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 9:07 am 
Runite Member

Thanks guys- those are some really great responses.

My motivation comes from mostly, the hiscores. I want to have several 200ms :)

PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 5:43 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bryan Tran
Clan Name: W22 Farming
Estor wrote:
I really don't know how to explain it, RS just has a special appeal to make those pretty little numbers go up and up and up. I suppose it's just setting a goal and watching those numbers rise...

I've been trying to find an answer to OP's question for the longest time, but I think this is the response that best suits the words I was trying to form. I like to think of starting out as a noob back then and seeing how far I've come since, and how far I'll go next.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 7:07 am 
Runite Member

Well said Bryan!

Part of my job involves data entry and my boss says that's the aspect that makes me good at it. ;)

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 10:00 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Guppee
Clan Name: Sovereign Order
For me, it has to be the capes. Wearing your achievements on your back gives such a sense of pride.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 5:09 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Touchpad Pro
Clan Name: Tmoa
Hi Jamandy, TP here. You might remember me from your time in TMOA. In 2001 I played simply because of competing with my class mates, trying to be highest combat level and stuff like that. Later on I started going for 99 skills, then highscore ranks and 200m skills. Now I feel like just finishing up maxing and other small things, the highscore rank aspect has gone off me after being non competitive for over two years, and the highscore has filled frontpages. It's probably because I've played for such a long time now, but the things that have motivated me to play have varied a lot over the years.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 4:44 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: 26
RS Status: Classic
Nowadays, skills and wealth are devalued. My motivation is to reach personal goals :).

:P Making friends along the way, even if they do not last, makes the process of leveling up easier and less mind numbing too.

Honestly... The reason I have played RuneScape for so many years is that in RuneScape I feel like somebody. In real life, I don't...

PostPosted: November 24th, 2013, 7:51 am 
Runite Member

Ataronchronon wrote:
Hi Jamandy, TP here. You might remember me from your time in TMOA. In 2001 I played simply because of competing with my class mates, trying to be highest combat level and stuff like that. Later on I started going for 99 skills, then highscore ranks and 200m skills. Now I feel like just finishing up maxing and other small things, the highscore rank aspect has gone off me after being non competitive for over two years, and the highscore has filled frontpages. It's probably because I've played for such a long time now, but the things that have motivated me to play have varied a lot over the years.

Touchpad <3

I think fondly of my time in TMOA. I laugh at the memories and I recall how hard we worked on that clan cup. Much of the advice and tips I received have stayed with me, and so have some of the friendships.

One of the reasons I stay active here is because of the TMOAers. ;)

---

Undo - I used to feel that way. Then I started being open about being a gamer. Now I'm someone both IRL and in Rs, and having friends who support me in both places helps a lot!

=)

PostPosted: December 1st, 2013, 9:31 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
As of late, not really anything.

But one thing that has always kept me going is to not set long term goals.
The longer it will take the less likely it will get done, no amount of motivation will help that.
No level 80-99 goal to speed rushing it.
I'm more of a 80 to level 85 person.

But at the end of the day I really just want my character to be better then all of my former schoolmates accounts, most of whom still play. I use to always be the best but after a year away, got bumped down to the number 2 spot.

Hear that Nick, coming at you, taken my place back.
8)