Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Rise and Fall of the Wilderness
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 5:35 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Watch and discuss.

Last edited by Bonsai99 on April 8th, 2012, 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 5:35 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: The Rise and Fall of the Wilderness
PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 6:46 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: newhero
RS Status: P2P
cool vid

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 7:25 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
This is pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 4:33 pm 
Community Ambassador

RS Name: Lord Rickles
Why within the first 5 seconds did I know this was made by WildyGuard? :P

Anyways, yes, they make some valid points, and although they make it seem like PK clans were full of honor and rank-and-file before the free trade change, they were regularly rife with jealousy, immaturity, and constantly taking advantage of each other by crashing scheduled wars and the like. While I can't say I particularly agree with everything, PKers definitely gave the game a different dynamic that affected all players back in their heyday. Thousands played the game just to PK with their clans. Now few do. While it could be argued that PKers fueled the economy based on their needs, you also have to remember that this game met a tipping point in whether it was going to favor skillers or PKers.

Whether their return would improve the game, I can't be sure. When you look at it, PKers prey on those who cannot defend themselves and that in itself is a very immoral way to play, though that's why it's a game. We play games to do things and be things we aren't or can't do. If I had to pick whether to have the money hoarders or PKers, I would definitely pick the PKers.

All in all, this is a very well made video by His Lordship and his cohorts. Wilderness Guardians have always been at the forefront of dictating the voice of clans' desires, and have the people with the passion to express it. While I could write forever on them as a clan, His Lordship, and their impact on RS itself. I have extensive knowledge in this area and have lived through it, so I have some interesting views. Let's just say, Wildy Guard has some motivation for the return of PKers, because they participate (or at least once did) in ARPK, which is Anti-Random Player Killing, meaning they kill PKers and save the skillers. This explains their name - The Wilderness Guardians.

However, RSB&B doesn't appear to favor clans in general (something I'd wish to change). If anyone wants to know more or ask questions, shoot me a PM. Perhaps I'll force Shane and Trekkie to talk about this by submitting a question on it. :P

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 7:32 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Let's get out the positives first. Well made video, good emotional appeal, and great history of the wilderness.

Now that that's done, on to my brief criticism. I thought the "documentary" was quite over the top. Were talking about a feature in a video game, not the end of a tribe in the Amazon rain forest or the extinction of a species on the Galapagos islands. It's not the end of Runescape if PvP clans go away. It would be a shame, sure, but certainly not the most devastating thing to happen in the history of the real world. By presenting it in that light, it may come across as humorous, but it truly discredits their appeal in my eyes.

The Wilderness aside, the game as a whole has changed for the worse. As such, PvP is not as popular as it once was. I don't think there is too much hope Jagex will bring the Wilderness back to it's former glory, but it certainly has the means to do so. I just don't see how Jagex can fix everything they have screwed with at this point (or the incentive to do so).

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 7:41 pm 
Runite Member

Hopefully when Bounty Hunter returns it will get some clans going again, as long as Jagex doesn't make it members only.
(I can easily see that happening)

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 7:41 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 10:26 pm 
Community Ambassador

RS Name: Lord Rickles
Duke, it's an appeal to Jagex and the players of Runescape, not the whole world. For the audience, I think it is very stirring and passionate for fellow passionate people. One man's patriotic propaganda is another man's trivial dribble. If you think this is overdone, you don't know how His Lordship does things. lol

Personally, I don't see Bounty Hunter as the answer or as an improvement to pvp at all. Were there people that did actually prefer this to just killing people at random?

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 12:48 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Varunky
Clan Name: RuneHQ
I remember when the wilderness was a big deal... that was long ago though :-?

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 3:14 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
Removed by WMG... :D

ImageImage

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 5:12 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
I am curious why the owner of this video would have it removed. Doesn't it help reach MORE people and get his views and ideas across? i wanted to watch it and see what it was all about. I have only been a member for about 10 months on RS and have heard many people talk about the "old days". I will not search this on youtube myself now as my own small protest against the WMG copyright claim. Seriously, opening it to more viewers is not a breach of copyright, but good luck to you.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 12:15 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
^ -_- He didn't remove it, WMG did. I searched myself I couldn't find another copy of the video. Only trailer copies. I have no clue what the copyright claim was for but it's not because it was stolen from another uploader, they made it. Probably some music claim or something. I already saw it before this thread. GL trying to find a copy =/

ImageImage

PostPosted: April 1st, 2012, 8:12 am 
Runite Member

Re-uploaded it since no one else had it up (atleast with audio), so now you guys can watch it (Changed link in first post)

EDIT: WGKeanu got the original back up so the first post now links to the original video