Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer Article] Why Romney Deserves a Chance
PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 10:42 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
Normally I like to focus my writing on pieces relating to something in the field of computer science or a new piece of hardware or software that has recently been released. Occasionally I tie this in with RuneScape, not this month. One week from today is the United States general election. In one week Americans will go to the polls to elect one-third of the senate, the entire house of representatives, and a president. All of these races are equally important, but the most focused one is that of the president. It's widely expected that the race will be very close, one of the closest in decades. It's also one of the most important elections in decades. With those two ideas in the back of my mind I thought I would share my thoughts on just why it's time for change.

Going back to the last two months of the 2008 campaign season it's clear as to why Obama was elected. The financial crisis just struck and the world was thrown into economic turmoil. The population was upset over the ongoing Iraq war and the fact progress seemed to be reverting itself in Afghanistan. Coupled with these external factors the Republican party also had a weak ticket caused by some combination of John McCain and Sarah Palin. Obama being the politician he is capitalized on this discontent and adjusted his message accordingly. People in turn flocked to Obama and his party resulting in him carrying states that the Democrats had not carried for years, such as North Carolina. The end result was that Obama was elected with a healthy mandate of 365 electoral votes.

Looking back with the benefit of history it's probably fair to say that if some of these factors had not been present the race would have probably been closer. One of the downsides of the two party system is that there's very little choice, people are forced to choose who feels better. In 2008 Obama was the candidate that related better to most people, there was no better choice.

Moving forward four years to 2012 there are still problems that are plaguing the US economy. The argument has been made that it would take anyone more than four years to fix the myriad of problems that exist. This being said, more progress could have been made over the past four years. Unemployment is still at a high value of 7.8%. Some say it may even be higher due to the way unemployment is calculated. The reported unemployment rate is calculated by dividing the number of people looking for work by the total number of people in the work force. Unemployment may very well have gone down last month due to people leaving the work force because they've simply given up. The budget deficit was horrendous when Obama took office, it's even worse now, $6 trillion higher. This also means an increased national debt, a large bulk of which is owned by China. Let us remember that those who loan money exert control.

We've seen why Obama was elected in 2008 and we've also seen the current state of affairs, let's have a look at just why he should be replaced. Top down decision making does not work, the US stimulus program augmented the natural recovery but produced results no where near the desired outcome (e.g. the unemployment rate). Focus should have been on the economy, instead Obama's focus was wandering, often focusing on the green sector and other areas that don't create jobs. A business or individual can't have a blank cheque, so why should a government? More emphasis should have been made over the past 4 years to reduce spending and thereby reduce the deficit. With all of these areas where response could have been better, one must ask, if these were the operating conditions of a business, would a new CEO be brought in to correct the problem?

Now that we've made the argument that Obama should be replaced, there's really only one alternative, Romney. Romney has extensive private sector management experience. He's also had the experience in government at state level, one would hope that this means a less expansive federal government. The financial crisis is not over, Europe could experience a downturn taking the rest of the world into recession once more before the wounds of 2008 are fully healed. Obama has had the opportunity to preside over the 2008 recovery and the recovery rate has not been that great. Just as in 2008 where people picked a president who was different than the status quo the same will happen next week. Even though Romney might not be the ideal candidate nor the Republican party the ideal party, Romney and the Republican party is the only credible option at this stage in 2012.

This was originally posted as an Informer Real World article.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 10:42 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article] Why Romney Deserves a Chance
PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 12:55 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Na. Really the only good alternative is to dissolve the Constitution and start over. :P

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 2:11 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Shane wrote:
Unemployment is still at a high value of 7.8%. Some say it may even be higher due to the way unemployment is calculated. The reported unemployment rate is calculated by dividing the number of people looking for work by the total number of people in the work force. Unemployment may very well have gone down last month due to people leaving the work force because they've simply given up.

I am glad you put this in there. People don't understand the the unemployment rate that they see on TV means next to nothing. The actual number is much higher.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 5:55 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
I am not voting for the man who's going to make sure that *** marriage will not even become close to reality.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 7:46 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

trekkie wrote:
I am not voting for the man who's going to make sure that *** marriage will not even become close to reality.

Well, I don't think it will really be up to him. As of yet, *** marriage is more of a state issue. I believe six already have it legalized and four are considering legalizing it this year. I'm not sure if it will be up to the federal government and the president to decide. I'm sure you have other reasons you don't want to vote for him, but just to challenge that reason. ;)

RSBandB Member #517
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 5:35 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
trekkie wrote:

Hmmmm.... I am so conflicted with respect to what to post as a reply, or even if I should reply at all, when I see something like this. Actually makes my blood boil when I get the feeling that people have absolutely no regard or consideration for traditional moral values.

*takes a deep breath*

I am wise enough to realize that I do not know it all. I am wise enough to seek knowledge and understanding. May I share with you what comes to mind as I think about this:
<< 1 Corinthians 10:23 >>
"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. [New International Version (©1984)]
You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is good for you. You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is beneficial. [New Living Translation (©2007)]

Thinking beyond one's own selfish desires, one should look at what is best for society and the human race as a whole. Insofar as stances on social issues I could never vote for someone who if re-elected will continue to ensure that the traditional values that society (not to mention God) has long held as proper, appropriate, natural, and beneficial are completely erased.

Sorry to sound so preachy. Trekkie - I still love ya man! :D

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012, 5:35 am 
Chat Moderator

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 4:11 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
Hopefully mr dano, you have also decided that it is morally wrong to stone a daughter to death if she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 5:39 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Uncle Dano wrote:
trekkie wrote:

Hmmmm.... I am so conflicted with respect to what to post as a reply, or even if I should reply at all, when I see something like this. Actually makes my blood boil when I get the feeling that people have absolutely no regard or consideration for traditional moral values.

*takes a deep breath*

I am wise enough to realize that I do not know it all. I am wise enough to seek knowledge and understanding. May I share with you what comes to mind as I think about this:
<< 1 Corinthians 10:23 >>
"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. [New International Version (©1984)]
You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is good for you. You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is beneficial. [New Living Translation (©2007)]

Thinking beyond one's own selfish desires, one should look at what is best for society and the human race as a whole. Insofar as stances on social issues I could never vote for someone who if re-elected will continue to ensure that the traditional values that society (not to mention God) has long held as proper, appropriate, natural, and beneficial are completely erased.

Sorry to sound so preachy. Trekkie - I still love ya man! :D

This is where my "conservative" values stop. I find is almost appalling that so much emphasis is placed Christianity and making *** marriage illegal in the US. The argument of protecting the traditional marriage values is a joke. What, the US has over a 50% divorce rate? We don't barter and trade for women anymore, marriage wasn't originally a Christian thing. Republican Christians in office who battle *** marriage and ignore other issues make me so confused. What about killing? What about asking for interest on loans? The Bible says that asking for interest shouldn't happen. What about all the greed that these politicians who battle *** marriage have? Wasting their energy fighting love instead of fighting for love? Also, when does Jesus ever go into ragging on *** marriage? All these people that are so against *** marriage live their lives so different that Jesus, the make atheists look more Christian then they do.

Also, America isn't supposed to be influenced by religion, so why does it matter if two men want to get married? We have freedom of religion, and no religious values should be forced on people. Denying people rights because they can't be married since some guy in office, with this third wife, who he cheats on, is greedy, and has broken probably all of the ten commandments (all 10 don't mention marriage by the way) says it is immoral? It's a joke.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 7:05 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Mas841
The deeper problem is that we look at how our government should function in so many different ways. The three main ones I have seen are as such:
- Make laws that are bound with a moral code (i.e., Conservative values)
- Make laws that the populace agrees is best (true democracy)
- Make laws that follow a logical path of reasoning (Libertarianism)
We have candidates that come along and always fill the first two. Romney wants America to be held to his moral code and Obama wants to please the greatest portion of people. When we look at a topic such as *** marriage, these three ways of governing all provide different solutions (I'll use candidate names to keep it relate-able). Romney thinks that *** marriage is wrong and an abomination in God's eyes. His notion of God is what governs his life and many others, thus His laws should be followed. Obama wants to gain more votes and do what is perceived to be "the new thing" and right. He will thus try to give married homosexual couples the same rights and benefits as regular heterosexual couples. [Gary] Johnson realizes it is personal choice and that nobody should be held back from committing a harmless act in the name of abiding by another person's beliefs. My personal opinion is that the state as a whole should stop attempting to weigh in on the situation. Marriage in itself is a sacred religious covenant that is formed under the eyes of God/Allah. The government has no right to have any word over who is married; that's a violation of church and state. I don't believe it's possible for a homosexual couple or atheist couple to be married, since it's not a covenant of religious roots. That being said, I endorse the concept of a state-recognized civil union for everybody. If a monogamous couple of any sexual orientation wishes to get recognized by the state as a civil union, they should be able to.

tldr: Marriage is a religious act. The state should only issue civil unions. Civil unions should be able to be held between any two consenting adults.

Edit to reply to Ranging God: The Bible states that you shouldn't charge interest on your brothers (i.e. close friends, fellow Christians). Only a few verses later does it give some guidelines on charging interest to others (and the rates are meant to be pretty hefty...)

PostPosted: November 7th, 2012, 5:34 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Sky Jace
Not the *** marriage thing again. Here's the opinion of someone who is ***:

1. I actually had a hard time choosing Obama over Romney. I legitimately think that Romney, as a successful businessman, would have been better for the USA economy, but he kept flip flopping so I didn't know whether I could trust him to keep his word (or what his word actually was). That plus Obama's advanced stance on social issues made me choose him. I guess now I can only hope for the best for the economy.

2. Now onto *** marriage. I understand that people want to keep the skewed up institution of marriage traditional (with all its divorces and cheating I'd hardly think that marriage still upholds its traditional values, but that's just me). It did start as a religious ceremony to celebrate the joining of a man and woman's hand in marriage, so if you want to keep it that way, then fine by me. The thing that I'm not ok about is that marriage provides governmental and monetary benefits that same *** partners cannot get since they can't get married in some states. Civil unions and domestic partnerships give us some, but not all of the benefits that heterosexual partners get. If there was something for same *** partners, some partnership that allowed us the exact same benefits, then I would be happy. I don't care whether it's called marriage or not. It's just stupid that same *** partners who have been in a committed relationship for probably longer than the average heterosexual marriage cannot get the same benefits that they do.

The other issue with *** marriage with the way it is now (being a state issue) is that your marriage may not be recognized in states that don't allow *** marriage. So if you had to move from one state to another due to work, there's no guarantee that that new state will give you the same benefits that your old state did. If there was a system implemented so that there wasn't worry about a loss of benefits between states, then that would be much better than the way it is now.

Dragon Member #90

PostPosted: November 7th, 2012, 7:19 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Jamie wrote:
The other issue with *** marriage with the way it is now (being a state issue) is that your marriage may not be recognized in states that don't allow *** marriage. So if you had to move from one state to another due to work, there's no guarantee that that new state will give you the same benefits that your old state did. If there was a system implemented so that there wasn't worry about a loss of benefits between states, then that would be much better than the way it is now.

Actually...we talked about this in pols sci today. You know that full faith and credit clause in the Constitution. Well, that is a guarantee that contracts, like marriage licenses, are to be recognized by all states not matter what state it was done in. The issue is that states are allowing *** marriage. You can go to those states, get married there, then move somewhere else, and that state has to recognize the marriage...at least, that's how I understand it. It's more an issue of making it legal in more states than it is recognition because i think once you are married, states have to recognize that. But that's just my understanding. I could be wrong.

RSBandB Member #517

PostPosted: November 10th, 2012, 12:16 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
At this point it seems like Christians are just another hate group.
I thought religious people were supposed to be nice and accepting and not single people out and treat them like they are somehow less of a human.