Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Informer Article] A move in the Micro transaction way
PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 2:36 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Tim2
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Hello everyone, I'm back with another article this month talking about the recent update regarding Jagex's new way to gamble away our money below the legal age. :D Now compared to my last article, I think this is going to be more of a rant so be ready to get infuriated at me and then defending what you think about this update in your own words in the comments below.

Now I have recently fallen off the RuneScape map so this is just my fair opinion about it. Jagex recently released an update where you can, put simply, gamble your hard earned money away even if you are not of the legal gambling age in most countries. Now in order to do this, you need a verified PayPal account (which means it is linked with your bank where they can directly take money out of it when you purchase the spins), a credit card, or some other method of payment I had never heard of. Now most people are going to go with the credit card option because you need to have access to cheques in order to use a paypal account (which is really the only good part of this update, the fact that Jagex makes sure you need a verified account to make the purchase). I personally bought the 75 spin option because I am 18 so I am allowed to gamble my money away and secondly, I wanted to see if they would do something for the people who bought spins (and by that I mean give them a much higher odd at getting a rare item like what the Crate buying system for the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer does) but it does not. The best thing I got was a rune platebody which I already have many of, so overall it was a waste of $20. I know some people who got lucky (Riceay13 with this lucky Arcane Spirit Shield) but in order to get there, it took him 168 spins. This means about $40 to get an item that can't be traded in any way, shape or form.

Now think what you want about the above because considering they are going to do this for a random chance event (gambling) the next logical step for them is to do a Team Fortress 2 style micro transaction model. A store ingame where you can buy any item in the game for some amount of money but they cannot be traded and to also make it fair, you cannot bring it into any PvP area. PvE is alright as you are not fighting some other human who might not have the money to buy the item you buy (an Armadyl Godsword as an example). Now you might be thinking if you play TF2, "But Tim, you can use those items in TF2" and to that I say, they cannot be crafted in any way, shape or form. Now you may think that isn't that bad but that means if you want to get a hat (because let's face it, the only reason people play TF2 is to get hats) like the Bonk Helm which I have never, ever seen as a drop, you need to craft it. Now you can buy the Bonk! Atomic Punch but then you can't use it to craft something, so you need to wait to get it as a drop, which could take a long time to get the items you need for a certain item or you can get it through a trade, which could also take as long because you need to barter to get what you want. Overall, only way I would see micro transactions working in RuneScape are if they make those items not tradeable AT ALL and if you ONLY allow you to buy items that you can get in the game, not any exclusive items unless they are only for looks, and even then it's pushing it as people are just going to wear those items to show off how rich they are.

Overall the micro transactions would bring in a lot of money, but Jagex needs to make sure that they are doing it in moderation, I think they should only allow verified PayPal account because that will do two things, make sure that the people buying the Squeal of Fortune spins are of legal age (or at least have some sort of income) and with PayPal, you get an email as soon as you make the purchase so parents can keep track of the purchases towards something that is just pixels and bits. I hope you enjoyed my rant which I don't want to call a rant about micro transactions. Next months, depending on how I feel at the time, might be what my cousin suggested to me about what I should write about, how to get prepared for a Skill of the Month competition (which you guys know I like to go big or go home :D). So ya, all I have for now, Tim Out!

This was originally posted as an Informer Runescape article.

/ August '15 (Fishing) \

/ Skiller of the Year Wins - 2009 | 2015 \
/ Informer Runescape Writer from 01/27/09 to 9/27/12 | 80th Dragon Member | RSBandB donator \
/Global Moderator April 1st, 2015 - April 1st, 2015\
/ 842 to 99 Dungeoneering & First RSBandBer to 99 Dungeoneering \

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 2:36 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: [Informer Article] A move in the Micro transaction way
PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 5:05 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
The problem isn't so much the items and gp you can get from the wheel, it is the xp you can get from it. People can now essentially buy xp now for difficult skills like runecrafting.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2012, 8:53 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Touchpad Pro
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Tmoa
They're just fighting rwt'ing by making themselves the #1 dealer.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2012, 6:58 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Ataronchronon wrote:
They're just fighting rwt'ing by making themselves the #1 dealer.

^

It's terrible when players in game do gambling, but entirely fine so long as Jagex endorses it/makes money from it/does it.

I think it's just another step in the wrong direction for the game and for Jagex. I suppose that if people don't care and keep playing, it doesn't matter that much.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: April 17th, 2012, 6:41 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Scotland DIY
RS Status: Old School (2007)
The thing about rwt and jagex selling money, is if jagex is spawning money to sell, that is going to cause the worst inflation since bounty hunter, which is simply unacceptable. Does this defend essentially selling xp? No, does it help me understand it a little more, yes.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 9:06 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Jamandy52
Clan Name: 1elitesc / Jamandy52
goodread... thanks for posting it :)

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 9:06 am 
Runite Member