Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Surface
PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 4:30 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Southrend
RS Status: Classic

So what do you think?

Proud RSB&B Member #570 since 12/27/04
Proud RSB&B Mod since 7/24/05

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 4:30 am 
Dragon Member

Post subject: Re: Surface
PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 5:11 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
Two years and two months too late.

There's no point now, it's all about ecosystem. Who's going to buy a Microsoft tablet if they've got investments in iOS or Android applications? Sure, Microsoft has a huge selection of Windows based applications but they aren't really tablet optimized, the only ones that will be are the metro applications which will come with and be developed for Windows 8.

Those that want this as a laptop first and foremost would probably find a better option with a traditional laptop given the hardware restraints.

Here's a nice piece on the device: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/30941 ... rface-windows-tablet

Also anyone wonder why all the photos of it are running metro only? Would be interesting to see how the classic desktop handles touch on a device like this.

I just hope Microsoft remembers the Zune and what happened with that...

PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 1:49 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
A bit of a dramatic video. The tablet it self looks ok. I'd still prefer a laptop over a tablet.

I think part of the idea with the release is for Microsoft to at least show they have a tablet available rather than showcase if it is ready, useful, or any good.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 2:23 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
Get ready for the ******* quality, most poorly priced, insecure, and un-user friendly tablet on the market to hit. **** microsoft and their anticonsumerism. They suck at it, and it sucks that so many consumers get stuck with winblow$ because its the only choice when they should be using a superior operating system like Linux, or Mac OSX. Despite being a windows security expert, Steve Gibson himself even called windows a pile of **** (he said it pile of duky or something nicer) but still.

I hope they fail and go out of business.

Edit: **** bing too

PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 3:28 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Ring wrote:
Get ready for the ******* quality

Why would it be ******* quality? I have had no problems at all with any microsoft product I have ever had.
Ring wrote:
most poorly priced

Just because it is reasonably priced (unlike apple products) doesn't mean it sucks.
Ring wrote:
insecure

It's only insecure if you do stupid things like download Smiley Central and various other trash.
Ring wrote:
un-user friendly tablet on the market to hit

You haven't even used one yet...
Ring wrote:
and it sucks that so many consumers get stuck with winblow$ because its the only choice

You can install other operating systems you know...you aren't stuck with Windows if you don't want it.
Ring wrote:
when they should be using a superior operating system like Linux, or Mac OSX.

Dont know how it's so much more superior, but whatever.
Ring wrote:
Despite being a windows security expert, Steve Gibson himself even called windows a pile of ****

Mac OSX Security is like 10 years behind Windows...
Source

PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 3:42 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: ZeeEngineer
Duke Juker wrote:
A bit of a dramatic video. The tablet it self looks ok. I'd still prefer a laptop over a tablet.

I think part of the idea with the release is for Microsoft to at least show they have a tablet available rather than showcase if it is ready, useful, or any good.

Microsoft has had one for a long time, nobody just cared. Gates revealed the first Microsoft Tablet back in 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC#History

http://www.wfaa.com/news/technology/Its ... ablet-159531965.html

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 3:42 pm 
Bronze Member

PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 4:04 pm 
BANNED

For Bonsai99

Ring wrote:

- trying to copy apple
- trying to promote their own counterintuitive design agenda
- unsuccessfully making a tablet that students can rely on

Ring wrote:
most poorly priced

Windows computers give **** quality for a high price. HP, Dell, Asus, etc *Every windows computer my family or I has ever own

Ring wrote:
insecure

WMF alleged backdoor take over 0day, Stuxnet, Flame, Every 0 day takeover vulnerablility ever. I wouldn't be surprised if Microflop installs backdoors for the NSA and FBI to watch everything you do. I also wonder if windows security is so **** because microsoft gets bribed from antivirus scumpanies.

Ring wrote:

HP touchbad 2? Galaxy tab 10.1?

Ring wrote:
and it sucks that so many consumers get stuck with winblow$ because its the only choice

- normal users generally don't know how to do that. They are microslaves, forced to deal with the upmost **** quality because they don't know how to install ubuntu or mint.

Ring wrote:

I lost an A in a class (high school, mind you) because my Winblows computer **** up. Number times ubuntu has failed me - 0. Number of times OSX has failed me - 0

Ring wrote:
Despite being a windows security expert, Steve Gibson himself even called windows a pile of ****

Sandboxing, reliable updates, better record. Microsoft learns by **** up, Other operating systems learn by microsoft **** up.

This is going to be hard with all these **** quotes, but I'm going to try. I'm not an apple fanboy, they do plenty of stupid **** that infuriates me, like slowing down older devices on purpose and preventing jailbreak software install and preventing OSX install on other hardware without piracy. It really does seem like Microsoft can't do anything right. They are falling down the path RIM fell down. Not to mention my Xbox just **** up because of their poor quality design.

Tl;dr: Microsoft company = ****; Microsoft tablet = ****. Apple/ubuntu/mint/other linux = mostly good

PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 4:25 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Ring wrote:

- trying to copy apple

Microsoft made a tablet before apple ever did (look up two posts)

- trying to promote their own counterintuitive design agenda

???

- unsuccessfully making a tablet that students can rely on

you still haven't tried it...

Ring wrote:
most poorly priced

Windows computers give **** quality for a high price. HP, Dell, Asus, etc *Every windows computer my family or I has ever own

"Windows" computers can't all be classed as **** just because a few computer manufacturers suck (Mostly HP and Dell)

Ring wrote:
insecure

WMF alleged backdoor take over 0day, Stuxnet, Flame, Every 0 day takeover vulnerablility ever.

There are lots of vulnerabilities in OSX too...

I wouldn't be surprised if Microflop installs backdoors for the NSA and FBI to watch everything you do.

Watch your network traffic, you won't see anything

I also wonder if windows security is so **** because microsoft gets bribed from antivirus scumpanies.

Yet again, the security is only **** if you are stupid about it.

Ring wrote:

HP touchbad 2? Galaxy tab 10.1?

What does that have to do with microsoft's tablet?

Ring wrote:

- normal users generally don't know how to do that. They are microslaves, forced to deal with the upmost **** quality because they don't know how to install ubuntu or mint.

Windows isn't **** quality...it is the most compatible operating system there is.

Ring wrote:

I lost an A in a class (high school, mind you) because my Winblows computer **** up. Number times ubuntu has failed me - 0. Number of times OSX has failed me - 0

What happened?

Ring wrote:

Sandboxing, reliable updates, better record. Microsoft learns by **** up, Other operating systems learn by microsoft **** up.

Reliable updates...how many MONTHS take apple to come out with the java patch to prevent flashback?

Not to mention my Xbox just **** up because of their poor quality design.

The iPhone 4 also **** up because of apple's poor quality design

PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 10:28 pm 
BANNED

Bonsai99 wrote:
Ring wrote:

-

While I am tremendously enjoying this debate, I fear we drifted off topic greatly. Perhaps we should continue this debate in private message?

P.S

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » Off-Topic » Non-RuneScape Discussion » Tech Talk » Surface Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]