Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Statement
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 7:50 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
The fact that the attached image is even a common search term speaks volumes. The fact that users of the internet expect a site taken down BY THE GOVERNMENT (or, one could argue, by the entertainment industry) to be back up in a matter of days (this was a search term shortly after the takedown) speaks volumes about the lack of regulation on the internet. People have no regard for regulation of the internet, which is why it would never work. I just wanted to express my thoughts (and frankly shock) that people would so willingly circumvent a government takedown. (I searched for it too, hoping there is a site I could share encrypted (shared) content backups with several colleagues of mine. I just thought that was a lulzish thing that people would try and find/make a new MU.

tl;dr - RIAA shut down megaupload, internet routs around RIAA restriction. I love humanity, a bear takes a crap on some bushes.

Image:

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 7:50 pm 
BANNED

Post subject: Re: Statement
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 11:26 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
So according to your logic, we shouldn't have laws against murder either because people are going to do it anyway? Why do we even try to regulate anything if people are going to go around it anyway?

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:52 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
Seems to me that the only ones who are worried about being regulated or "controlled" by the government, are those who have something to hide.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 10:54 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
The ol your with the good guys or with the bad guys, and we're the good guys. Seems to me that the only people who stress that you have "nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide"[1] are the ones trying to hide the fact that they have something to hide.

[1] Pius Thicknese, Minster of Magic under control of the DEATH EATERS

are you a DEATH EATER?

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 11:43 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
From what I have read (which isnt that much) on the MegaUpload case, it seems they should have been shut down due to the amount of illegal file sharing.

I also think that is a very false statement that people don't want regulation of the internet... What needs to happen is more informative political speeches (like the GOP debate did a few months back) which all candidates agreed something needs to be done, but the drastic measures of the bills were not them.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 1:17 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Ranging God wrote:
From what I have read (which isnt that much) on the MegaUpload case, it seems they should have been shut down due to the amount of illegal file sharing.

I also think that is a very false statement that people don't want regulation of the internet... What needs to happen is more informative political speeches (like the GOP debate did a few months back) which all candidates agreed something needs to be done, but the drastic measures of the bills were not them.

Mostly, it's just an over-reaction. People (or companies) are made about something. They complain to Congress. Congress rushes out legislation to deal with the problem. Legislation isn't fully reviewed or fixed and it fails.

Regulation will happen eventually, but it definitely needs to be well thought out and structured. It can't be rushed.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 1:17 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 2:35 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Estor
RS Status: Retired
What I've heard is pretty much stating that they're trying to take down piracy for the Entertainment Industry. Really? The internet is a part of the entertainment industry, and does so much more than what the government would call 'The Entertainment Industry'. Internet or a Movie Theatre? -.-
Besides you can't stop piracy however hard you try.

ImageImage

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 2:42 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Estor wrote:
What I've heard is pretty much stating that they're trying to take down piracy for the Entertainment Industry. Really? The internet is a part of the entertainment industry, and does so much more than what the government would call 'The Entertainment Industry'. Internet or a Movie Theatre? -.-

Estor wrote:
What I've heard is pretty much stating that they're trying to take down piracy for the Entertainment Industry. Really?

Well, since internet piracy really effect the entertainment industry that makes sense... Right?

Estor wrote:

I am confused as to why you think that? Once the government starts fining citizens more for pirating movies, you can bet it will stop!

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:04 pm 
BANNED

Ranging God wrote:
Estor wrote:

Estor wrote:
What I've heard is pretty much stating that they're trying to take down piracy for the Entertainment Industry. Really?

Well, since internet piracy really effect the entertainment industry that makes sense... Right?

Estor wrote:

I am confused as to why you think that? Once the government starts fining citizens more for pirating movies, you can bet it will stop!

Yeah, we should just ceed all of our human rights to the RIAA and MPAA, that is a great idea! Copyright is important to protect ******* music and ******* music.. Piracy is the reason people don't watch ******* movies!!! The communists are taking over.

Anyone who thinks citizens will willingly give up rights to stop **** copyright infringement is (in my opinion) a moron, and re-labeling the problem as "Protecting children" doesn't do a **** thing to further the issue.

The point of this was not about piracy, or even censorship. I was just surprised that several days after a government takedown, users of the internet were looking a way to circumvent/route around that takedown, it shows how little regulation is in place.. Nothing more or nothing less.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:10 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Firering401 wrote:
Ranging God wrote:
Estor wrote:

Estor wrote:

Estor wrote:

Yeah, we should just ceed all of our human rights to the RIAA and MPAA, that is a great idea! Copyright is important to protect ******* music and ******* music.. Piracy is the reason people don't watch ******* movies!!! The communists are taking over.

Anyone who thinks citizens will willingly give up rights to stop **** copyright infringement is (in my opinion) a moron, and re-labeling the problem as "Protecting children" doesn't do a **** thing to further the issue.

Piracy is the reason people don't watch ******* movies? What do you mean?
And Communists are taking over... Have you actually studied Communism and have taken any sort of economics class? I can assure you that Communists are not taking over... The closest thing American has to this is our new Socialized healthcare, which is probably going to be overturned.

Honestly, what rights will be given up so that I can not rip a DVD I paid for and give/sell it to someone for free. Is it fair that a movie company risks a $100M and I can make a profit on their money for free? No.

Now, I assume you will bring up posting this content on blogs. Well, here is the problem. Yes, I think that media SHOULD be allowed to be posted on blogs, the problem is people are adding ways to make money off their blogs like adds. Now they are making a profit on something they didn't create. That's a problem.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:22 pm 
BANNED

QUOTE:
Firering401 wrote:
Ranging God wrote:
Estor wrote:

Estor wrote:

Estor wrote:

And Communists are taking over... Have you actually studied Communism and have taken any sort of economics class? I can assure you that Communists are not taking over... The closest thing American has to this is our new Socialized healthcare, which is probably going to be overturned.

Honestly, what rights will be given up so that I can not rip a DVD I paid for and give/sell it to someone for free. Is it fair that a movie company risks a $100M and I can make a profit on their money for free? No.

Now, I assume you will bring up posting this content on blogs. Well, here is the problem. Yes, I think that media SHOULD be allowed to be posted on blogs, the problem is people are adding ways to make money off their blogs like adds. Now they are making a profit on something they didn't create. That's a problem.

The MPAA is inept if they think making ripping DVDs illegal will stop people from ripping them. That's **** retarded. It isn't like piracy where you can have scumbag lawyers attack monitored IP addresses. There is NO WAY to monitor who is ripping their movie collection, and who isn't, and the MPAA hates that. That is the reason they are wasting so much money on lobbying. They would try to shut down handbreak.fr for "causing a tremendous amount of damage for the deepthroat of intelectual property" .

Maybe because I'm not much of a movie guy? Or maybe I just despise any company in support of SOPA (except Shane, I like Shane)? I have only enjoyed 3 movie series in my entire 17 years of roaming the earth.. (and not many more TV shows at that)

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:27 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Firering401 wrote:
QUOTE:
Firering401 wrote:

The MPAA is inept if they think making ripping DVDs illegal will stop people from ripping them. That's **** retarded. It isn't like piracy where you can have scumbag lawyers attack monitored IP addresses. There is NO WAY to monitor who is ripping their movie collection, and who isn't, and the MPAA hates that. That is the reason they are wasting so much money on lobbying. They would try to shut down handbreak.fr for "causing a tremendous amount of damage for the deepthroat of intelectual property" .

Maybe because I'm not much of a movie guy? Or maybe I just despise any company in support of SOPA (except Shane, I like Shane)? I have only enjoyed 3 movie series in my entire 17 years of roaming the earth.. (and not many more TV shows at that)

You misunderstand me I think. Ripping DVD (for backup purposes) is perfectly fine. Companies have every right to make it hard to backup, but I dont think it is illegal to rip them. The problem is people who sell these DVD for a few dollars, or mass distribute them for free, like via The Pirate Bay.

I just don't see how anyone can justify the mass sharing and sales/making a profit from movie/music illegally...

You are taking something that someone created and are making a profit from it. Simple as that.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:30 pm 
BANNED

Ranging God wrote:
Firering401 wrote:
QUOTE:
Firering401 wrote:

You misunderstand me I think. Ripping DVD (for backup purposes) is perfectly fine. Companies have every right to make it hard to backup, but I dont think it is illegal to rip them. The problem is people who sell these DVD for a few dollars, or mass distribute them for free, like via The Pirate Bay.

I just don't see how anyone can justify the mass sharing and sales/making a profit from movie/music illegally...

You are taking something that someone created and are making a profit from it. Simple as that.

My parents have already bought ever movie I have wanted to see, with maybe 1 exception in 17 years, I have seen no incentive to torrent more, I don't even like movies. And the MPAA says it's illegal because you are circumventing copy protection, which is garbage. A 12 year old can circumvent copy protection, and they are making a fuss about it.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:34 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Firering401 wrote:

My parents have already bought ever movie I have wanted to see, with maybe 1 exception in 17 years, I have seen no incentive to torrent more, I don't even like movies. And the MPAA says it's illegal because you are circumventing copy protection, which is garbage. A 12 year old can circumvent copy protection, and they are making a fuss about it.

You are very lucky then. A lot of childrens (including when i was a child) parents dont have the extra money to do that. Also, what justification do you have to copy media? Would you want to spend countless hours painting a painting that you have put so much effort into, just to have someone photocopy it? No, i dont believe you would.

Also, in reference to your CCP
"while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies."[7] This case made clear that manufacturing and distribution of circumvention tools was illegal, but use of those tools for non-infringing purposes, including fair use purposes, was not.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:41 pm 
BANNED

Ranging God wrote:
Firering401 wrote:

You are very lucky then. A lot of childrens (including when i was a child) parents dont have the extra money to do that. Also, what justification do you have to copy media? Would you want to spend countless hours painting a painting that you have put so much effort into, just to have someone photocopy it? No, i dont believe you would.

Also, in reference to your CCP
"while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies."[7] This case made clear that manufacturing and distribution of circumvention tools was illegal, but use of those tools for non-infringing purposes, including fair use purposes, was not.

My parents don't spend all that much on movies..

I said I only like 3 series.

- Spiderman
- Harry Potter
- Star wars

Each of these series has had movies come out at various times.. These are movies I have liked since I was a kid, and I wouldn't even bother looking for an illegal copy online. The illegal copys are of ******* quality. Plus, they can be "potentially dangerous to the health of the consumer", according to the MPAA...

And you are right, I was aware of that case. But if you honestly trust the MPAA not to continue to extend their powers. Next thing it will be "Stop online circumvention act" and then "Stop users from copying movies to their minds by beating them clueless after viewing copyrighted material act" ...

I think we have beat this subject to death (literally?)... I wasn't trying to be insulting to anyone who holds opposite beliefs.

I refer you to this episode of FLOSS weekly, I found it of high importance http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/192
I also refer you to this episode of Triangulation, I found it very informative http://twit.tv/show/triangulation/37

My opinion was likely formed because I read blogs like Techdirt/Torrentfreak and listen to the Twit network, all of whom are anti-regulation

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » Off-Topic » Non-RuneScape Discussion » Tech Talk » Statement Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]