Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Internet Connection Help
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 10:33 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Parselmouth
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: DGS
Over the past week or so I have been having some issues with my Internet connection via my laptop. Nothing has changed much in my house recently and my laptop has been working fine for over a year, and no other computer in my home is experiencing this issue.

Basically what will happen is every... say 20 minutes or so,(I haven't really recorded how often it happens but I doesn't seem very consistent, yet I has been occurring more frequently as of late) I will lose Internet connection temporarily. I will either have to wait around 30 seconds for it to come back or put my laptop to sleep and then start it back up in order to get my connection back, but even then the problem continues to occur. So I was wondering what anybody thought of this and how I could test things out in order to find the source of the problem.

Thanks.

RSN: Parselmouth | Jaysawn on ********

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 10:33 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: Internet Connection Help
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 10:47 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Are you connected to a router of any sort? If so is it happening on other computers?

If not does this happen if you choose "Safe Mode with Networking" or something else while starting Windows?

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 11:07 pm 
Runite Member

Shane wrote:
Are you connected to a router of any sort? If so is it happening on other computers?

If not does this happen if you choose "Safe Mode with Networking" or something else while starting Windows?

Yes I am connected to a router.

No it is not happening on any other computers on our network.

I will try that when I have a longer stretch of time to work w/o homework interruptions. (Probably later tonight).

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that whenever this does occur, the signal strength down on the bottom right of the taskbar does not notify me, and acts as if everything is running smoothly. This surprises me because I would expect it to display the little yellow hazard symbol (or whatever it is) letting me know that I'm connected but without internet access.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 11:20 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Anything happening in the house when it happens? Like, at my house, if a certain door gets shut, the connection goes, which is weird wireless, but it happens. Maybe a faulty wireless card? Overheating? I'm just throwing ideas out there.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 11:45 pm 
Runite Member

Duke Juker wrote:
Anything happening in the house when it happens? Like, at my house, if a certain door gets shut, the connection goes, which is weird wireless, but it happens. Maybe a faulty wireless card? Overheating? I'm just throwing ideas out there.

I don't think it has anything to do with the house. Something being wrong with the wireless card, overheating was one of the first things to come to mind as well, was one of the problems I came up with. If that was the case I dont know if that would seem strange or more likely seeing as this laptop is a year old.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 3:53 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Have you power cycled your router? (unplugging power and phone like for a minute then plugging back in)

this solves 99% of the problems. Other than that it would like your router is going bad.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 3:53 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 4:25 pm 
Runite Member

Ranging God wrote:
Have you power cycled your router? (unplugging power and phone like for a minute then plugging back in)

this solves 99% of the problems. Other than that it would like your router is going bad.

I've reset it but not forcefully by unplugging it as you suggested. But if that was the case then why is my computer the only one affected and not the other 4 devices on our network?