Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Computer Virus
PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 6:22 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Ice Blk Drgn
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: MaSoRs
So my computer totally died on me. All of the anti-virus software on my computer suddenly attacked me with pop-ups saying there was a huge big, bad virus on it and I tried to get rid of it but then Microsoft popped up and said oh you need to download Microsoft ThinkPoint to get rid of the virus. So I call my brother and he says don't download it and just do a regular virus scan. I'm like okay, but then my account stops working because the taskbar refuses to show up and the only thing on the screen is my background and the "download this microsoft program" crap. So I swear and hop to my brother's account but it freezes in the middle of the scan so I force shut down then restart, hop into my mom's account but then the taskbar refuses to load there! So I cursed the air blue and force shut it off.

Any ideas of what to do next?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 6:22 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: Computer Virus
PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 8:02 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
I had trouble with this once. What you might have to do is start Windows in safe mode with networking and go from there. That will only boot up the necessary processes for Windows to run. After that, you should be able to run a scan. Here's my thread on the Windows Seven forums.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/86912-virus-attack.html#post750698l

That will take you directly to the post where I mention what sites I used to figure it out. Anyways, good luck trying to get rid of that virus. It's a pain, and it sucks, but you just have to deal with it and try to recover as best you can afterward.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 8:24 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Microsoft FrontPoint isn't a real program. You'll want Microsoft Security Essentials, and not to listen to random popups.

Safe mode should solve your issues, supposing you can get some of the virus disabled. You might consider Super-Anti-Spyware as it's a non-install program, and you can run it off of a thumbdrive if you wish. Once that's done, install MSE from a thumbdrive, and see what it can do. Reboot back into your main account and see if the problems are solved.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 11:02 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
Like the other two have said, use safe-mode to temporarily disable any viruses. This should allow you to go and find anti-virus software without being hindered by spam popups. I'd also recommend unplugging yourself from the Internet until it's dealt with (obviously you'll need it to download anti-virus)- just in case.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 3:51 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Aquw VettelS 776 wrote:
Like the other two have said, use safe-mode to temporarily disable any viruses. This should allow you to go and find anti-virus software without being hindered by spam popups. I'd also recommend unplugging yourself from the Internet until it's dealt with (obviously you'll need it to download anti-virus)- just in case.

If you don't want to download anti-virus stuff, just use another computer and thumb drive it. That's what I did in my situation. Usually, the only way you can get something onto your computer when a virus is there is to use a thumb drive and not use the internet on that computer.

RSBandB Member #517
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 8:46 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Ice Blk Drgn
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: MaSoRs
Thanks guys, I fixed my comp. I ran Spyware Doctor in Safe Mode w/ Networking. Then I had to download MBLAM to get rid of ThinkPoint and AntimalWare Doctor. Took about 3.5 hours, 4 scans, and like 5 reboots to do it :lol:

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 8:46 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 9:20 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Hey, at least you have your computer back. Some computers get totally f-ed up by viruses and are non salvageable or have to be reformatted. At least you can breath a sigh of relief as the worst is over...for now. :twisted:

RSBandB Member #517

PostPosted: October 27th, 2010, 4:21 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Alright, going to lock.. Seems your problem has been solved :)