Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: firefox problem
PostPosted: June 29th, 2010, 1:18 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Marking22
RS Status: P2P
Since the new update everytime I go on youtube my firefox freezes then crashes.Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know how to fix it?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: June 29th, 2010, 1:18 pm 
Dragon Member

Post subject: Re: firefox problem
PostPosted: June 29th, 2010, 7:08 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
I don't use Firefox, so I can't share first hand experience. However I'd be surprised if Mozilla released a version of Firefox which didn't work properly on a webswite as popular as YouTube. Has it only just been released? If so you'll probably see a patch or new version pretty quickly. If the problem is the browser, they'd have had loads of complaints already.

A possible cause could be Flash. I know a new version of Adobe Flash has just been released (I've just installed it a couple of days ago), so make sure it's update.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2010, 12:00 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
I had this problem but on Google. So.... opera.com

PostPosted: June 30th, 2010, 2:32 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Aquw VettelS 776 wrote:
I don't use Firefox, so I can't share first hand experience. However I'd be surprised if Mozilla released a version of Firefox which didn't work properly on a webswite as popular as YouTube. Has it only just been released? If so you'll probably see a patch or new version pretty quickly. If the problem is the browser, they'd have had loads of complaints already.

A possible cause could be Flash. I know a new version of Adobe Flash has just been released (I've just installed it a couple of days ago), so make sure it's update.

Ya. Definitely update your Flash version if you haven't already (and Firefox as well). Otherwise, if you can't find a solution to the problem, switch to a different browser.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: June 30th, 2010, 9:17 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Switching to a different browser is a crappy workaround. 'My car doesn't work.. No, it's not out of gas... Oh, I need a new car now?'

Try to download the installer from Mozilla, then try to download the Flash plugin from Adobe and install them both separately. You might consider running the Flash Uninstaller from Adobe before reinstalling Flash, just as an added step that may help.

Also, verify that Flash is actually working at all, as it might be a YouTube specific issue. Try the Settings Manager from Adobe and delete flash cookies while you're there.

As a side note, have you installed any addons recently such as Flash Block, NoScript, or another Flash blocking utility? Might want to verify settings in that addon if you have.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 8:30 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Marking22
Pfk tried all of that but none of it work.Youtube does work it just freezes and if I keep clicking the tab it sometimes works and unfreezes.Sorry if that sounds confusing.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 8:30 pm 
Dragon Member

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 11:50 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Pfkninenines wrote:
Switching to a different browser is a crappy workaround. 'My car doesn't work.. No, it's not out of gas... Oh, I need a new car now?'

Try to download the installer from Mozilla, then try to download the Flash plugin from Adobe and install them both separately. You might consider running the Flash Uninstaller from Adobe before reinstalling Flash, just as an added step that may help.

Also, verify that Flash is actually working at all, as it might be a YouTube specific issue. Try the Settings Manager from Adobe and delete flash cookies while you're there.

As a side note, have you installed any addons recently such as Flash Block, NoScript, or another Flash blocking utility? Might want to verify settings in that addon if you have.

1) The whole point of a work around is to "work around" the problem. Therefore, switching browsers would most likely fix the problem and thereby be a successful work around.
2) Browsers and cars aren't the same thing, namely that a car costs money and a browser does not. Your comparison, therefore, is invalid.

Keep working at it, but I still suggest changing browsers for the time being at least. The other reason for a work around is a temporary solution more often then a permanent one. Heck, you could even find you like a different browser, making the work around an excellent solution. That's my opinion.

RSBandB Member #517
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2010, 8:45 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Apparently you're not the only one with this issue with 3.6.6 . According to one (random) person, if you've got FireTorrent installed, disable that.

Otherwise, I'd suggest backing up Firefox with something like MozBackup (try just bookmarks+passwords, if you store them in Firefox) and then uninstalling Firefox, then reinstalling Firefox, opening any page (this creates the profile after you install) then restore your previous settings to see if it works.

If at all possible, uninstall Flash at the same time too using the uninstaller previously mentioned, then reinstall after you've got Firefox installed and working (without flash) again. Hopefully this will fix any issues, but as I said, you're not alone in this issue... Though you do seem to be one of the few people with Windows with this particular problem.

EDIT - Firefox 3.6.7 just got pushed out? Er... Apparently I'm in a beta program somehow. Eh. Well either way, this build fixes some stability issues, and I'd look at it if you're still having issues. All three Windows based fixes are related to Flash.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2010, 9:00 am 
Dragon Member

RS Status: Classic
Duke Juker wrote:
1) The whole point of a work around is to "work around" the problem. Therefore, switching browsers would most likely fix the problem and thereby be a successful work around.
[...]
Keep working at it, but I still suggest changing browsers for the time being at least. The other reason for a work around is a temporary solution more often then a permanent one. Heck, you could even find you like a different browser, making the work around an excellent solution. That's my opinion.

Switching browsers wouldn't fix the problem in Mozilla. If the user prefers to use Firefox he should find a solution for it instead of avoiding the problem.

Duke Juker wrote:
2) Browsers and cars aren't the same thing, namely that a car costs money and a browser does not. Your comparison, therefore, is invalid.

Don't take comparisons so literally.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2010, 9:54 am 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Gameboy1182
Ive never had this problem... You should try updating your flash player or using a different internet service throgh.

Thats right its invisible...

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2010, 2:01 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Alex_SE wrote:
Switching browsers wouldn't fix the problem in Mozilla. If the user prefers to use Firefox he should find a solution for it instead of avoiding the problem.

That's what I'm saying. But if the problem is strictly Mozilla only, then switching at that point might be helpful.
Alex_SE wrote:
Don't take comparisons so literally.

If you want to make a comparison, make sure it works, literally and non-literally. It doesn't make sense to compare cars and browsers since the way we are talking about it is so unalike. Analogy can be used as a good tool for comparing things, but if the things you are comparing are not similar at all, then it defeats the purpose of an analogy.

RSBandB Member #517