Post subject: RIAA
PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 6:26 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
Hi;

What are your thoughts on the RIAA?

Personally, I think they are an organization of scumbag pieces of ****.

What are your thoughts on Google's circumvention of the RIAA by directly selling artists' music via the Google music store.

I think this is great. I'm sick of these scumbags trying to regulate the existing internet.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. (I was unsure whether to put it in "music" or "Tech Talk")

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 6:26 pm 
BANNED

Post subject: Re: RIAA
PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 6:50 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Firering401 wrote:
Personally, I think they are an organization of scumbag pieces of ****.

I do too, but then again I don't know that much about them.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 8:22 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Duke Juker
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Perhaps if you could elaborate a bit more on what your issue is, it would make more sense. I believe the more direct artists can be with the sales of their music the better profit wise. But in terms of piracy and torrenting, I think it potentially causes more problems which I would think is what the RIAA is trying to avoid...at least that's my understanding of what you are getting at.

82nd Dragon Member since 05/12/2010
RSBandB Member #517
Current Activities: Ports, Dailies/Monthlies, DXP
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 8:42 pm 
BANNED

Duke Juker wrote:
Perhaps if you could elaborate a bit more on what your issue is, it would make more sense. I believe the more direct artists can be with the sales of their music the better profit wise. But in terms of piracy and torrenting, I think it potentially causes more problems which I would think is what the RIAA is trying to avoid...at least that's my understanding of what you are getting at.

The point of this was to see how many people hated the RIAA

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 8:56 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

But how would you know if you hate them if you didn't know who they were or what they do?

RSBandB Member #517
Skill Masteries: Firemaking, Cooking, Woodcutting, Fletching, Mining, Agility, Prayer, Smithing, Fishing, Summoning, Construction, Herblore, Hunter, Thieving, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Farming, Runecrafting, Slayer, Magic, Ranged, Defence, Constitution, Attack, Strength, Invention & 1st Max (3/9/19), Archaeology & 2nd Max (4/16/21), 200m Firemaking, Necromancy

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 9:19 pm 
BANNED

Duke Juker wrote:
But how would you know if you hate them if you didn't know who they were or what they do?

I know they sue 12 year olds for alleged copyright infringement, and nearly every artist I know (in the real world) thinks they are scum. I know they are pressuring google to censor their search results. I know they are trying to push (ineffective) censorship bills through their U.S congress via their lobby groups.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 9:19 pm 
BANNED

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 9:28 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
The record label Fat Wreck Chords isn't a member of and doesn't support the RIAA but for some reason the RIAA put them on their member list (spelling the label name wrong too). And then after many attempts they did to get it removed from the list and after it finally was, it eventually appeared back on the list for some reason. So yeah they're weird in wanting to control every single piece of music. They seem more interested in themselves than actual music (well obviously).

I don't like them either but by their very nature I don't think it would be possible for me to like them. But they don't control Canada so whatever.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 9:55 pm 
BANNED

Warren wrote:
The record label Fat Wreck Chords isn't a member of and doesn't support the RIAA but for some reason the RIAA put them on their member list (spelling the label name wrong too). And then after many attempts they did to get it removed from the list and after it finally was, it eventually appeared back on the list for some reason. So yeah they're weird in wanting to control every single piece of music. They seem more interested in themselves than actual music (well obviously).

I don't like them either but by their very nature I don't think it would be possible for me to like them. But they don't control Canada so whatever.

I'm assuming you own/work for "Fat Wreck Chords"?

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 10:02 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

No just a funny story on their FAQ page

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 11:42 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Firering401 wrote:
Duke Juker wrote:

I know they sue 12 year olds for alleged copyright infringement, and nearly every artist I know (in the real world) thinks they are scum. I know they are pressuring google to censor their search results. I know they are trying to push (ineffective) censorship bills through their U.S congress via their lobby groups.

The other problem if I'm not mistaken is that they go through record companies, not the artists themselves. Record companies are very strict about copyright and RIAA reflects that as a result. Censorship is a grey area. Again, I don't know much about it myself. What I do know is that most artists are attached to a label, and what the recording company says goes. That's probably more of a problem than the RIAA. If more artists were independent, the RIAA might be less of an issue.

RSBandB Member #517

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 1:01 pm 
BANNED

Duke Juker wrote:
Firering401 wrote:
Duke Juker wrote:

The other problem if I'm not mistaken is that they go through record companies, not the artists themselves. Record companies are very strict about copyright and RIAA reflects that as a result. Censorship is a grey area. Again, I don't know much about it myself. What I do know is that most artists are attached to a label, and what the recording company says goes. That's probably more of a problem than the RIAA. If more artists were independent, the RIAA might be less of an issue.

I will proudly admit to circumventing forced upon me by the U.S government and subsequently the RIAA and MPAA; they can suck it.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 2:13 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Dothal Detra
Clan Name: Irenic
I've had instances were I was ticked off enough at DRM on my music that I just got the .FLAC files off TPB, and then emailed the artist about where I could send them 10 bucks for the great music, and then gave the artist the money directly. Granted this might not work for anything above a small indie band.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 9:03 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Lol send the artist the money, WHAT ABOUT THE HARDWORKING RECORD LABEL? Where will they get their 80% so they can pay their workers 5%!?!?!

I don't know the actual numbers but I figure I'm being generous with what I made up....................

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 10:14 pm 
BANNED

Warren wrote:
Lol send the artist the money, WHAT ABOUT THE HARDWORKING RECORD LABEL? Where will they get their 80% so they can pay their workers 5%!?!?!

I don't know the actual numbers but I figure I'm being generous with what I made up....................

I can sense a bit of sarcasm :D.

I think......

Post new topic Reply to topic Forum Index » Off-Topic » Non-RuneScape Discussion » Music » RIAA Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]