Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Informer #4 - October 2006
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 12:51 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
Hey everyone, Informer #4 is up. Everyone did a great job this month. As usual you can see it at http://informer.rsbandb.com

Shane

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 12:51 am 
Site Owner

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 12:52 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Sevith
Clan Name: RSBandB of course!
Yay! My first month :wink:

Everyone did a great job.

Let's keep up the great work :wink:

Marty O' Donnell says Howdy :)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 2:01 am 
Runite Member

uhm i dont know if its suppose to be but at :

-Building a Gaming Computer and
-Manya’s Meyhem - Guard Picks Nose

it starts at the bottom of the left nav, is it just me or?

btw nice looking issue ;)

[74] | [103] | [125] | [153]_____[74] | [103] | [125] | [153]
[/center]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 3:52 am 
Dragon Member

RS Status: Classic
Better.

Definetely a lot better than September. Crysala and Alex certainly made some good posts. Shanes would have been interesting had i not already known how to make computers. Oh, btw, Shane, you forgot to tell people to add the hard drive XD.

But.

Topher892 did not make an article, and since my last rant about the newspaper staff 2 weeks ago, he has made a total of 1 post on the forums.

7870074's article was in no way impressive. Sure, it used some nice language, but it was too short. 296 words is not enough for a newspaper article.

Alex 43, Southrend, and Gamefreak have, as always, delivered excellent articles. Crysala's was also good, if a little pointless. I see the rants section as rants about runescape, not rants about people who play runescape, but thats just my opinion.

TheMothAssassin's article, like 7870074's, was also too short. His article last month was a lot longer, despite being a little big-headed. TMA, why didnt you offer a few of your own ideas, or maybe quote others ideas an say what you think about them? That would have made it longer.

I will say the following:

1. You need more articles. As i said before, i want to spend an hour reading it; not 10 minutes.
2. You need the articles that are short to be longer.
3. You need to kick Topher892 from the staff.
4. You need another tech article.

Also, Shane, could you make the main div of the page a bit wider, please? At the moment it is a mere 697, so maybe increase it to 800 or 900?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 4:10 am 
Site Owner

MasterOfTheVortex wrote:
Better.

Definetely a lot better than September. Crysala and Alex certainly made some good posts. Shanes would have been interesting had i not already known how to make computers. Oh, btw, Shane, you forgot to tell people to add the hard drive XD.

I did indeed say to add the hard drive :P
Quote:
...For attaching components with screws I’d recommend an anti magnetic screw driver since some of the components are sensitive to magnets. Once the motherboard is in the next piece of hardware I’d add would be the hard drive and CD/DVD writer...

I'll now address your questions:
1. We had applications open, none of the applications we recieved were of the caliber we were looking for.
2. Sometimes an article can only be short as it's a simple topic or simply not much to say in it.
3. Thanks for the idea but we will make the decisions on who is on the staff and who is not.
4. Another tech article may be a good idea, I'll look into this for next month.

Also while most of RSBANDB uses 1024x768 (63%), there are still a vast number that use 800x600(10%), which equates to about 3000+ people that we'd be cutting off. This is why it is designed for 800x600. This design is a fixed layout, not liquid.

Flipvlug: I don't see what is going on here... Looks to be fine for me.

Also if you have suggestions/comments specifically about the tech section that I wrote you can send me a PM on here.

-Shane

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 4:15 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Bogrollbloke
I didn't think it was physically possible for someone to moan so much Crysala :P

Thanks for covering for me too. :oops:

Nice work guys.

Drop me a request on XBL, GamerTag is Barrett 1337

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 4:15 am 
Dragon Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 5:29 am 
Dragon Member

Shane wrote:
MasterOfTheVortex wrote:
Better.

I did indeed say to add the hard drive :P
Quote:
...For attaching components with screws I’d recommend an anti magnetic screw driver since some of the components are sensitive to magnets. Once the motherboard is in the next piece of hardware I’d add would be the hard drive and CD/DVD writer...

I'll now address your questions:
1. We had applications open, none of the applications we recieved were of the caliber we were looking for.
2. Sometimes an article can only be short as it's a simple topic or simply not much to say in it.
3. Thanks for the idea but we will make the decisions on who is on the staff and who is not.
4. Another tech article may be a good idea, I'll look into this for next month.

Also while most of RSBANDB uses 1024x768 (63%), there are still a vast number that use 800x600(10%), which equates to about 3000+ people that we'd be cutting off. This is why it is designed for 800x600. This design is a fixed layout, not liquid.

Flipvlug: I don't see what is going on here... Looks to be fine for me.

Also if you have suggestions/comments specifically about the tech section that I wrote you can send me a PM on here.

-Shane

Ok, you didnt tell people how to add the hard drive.

I would like it if you could tell me how 10% of 9000 is 3000, shane. As of this post, there are 9032 registered users on RSBandB. Now, remember, that not all of those read the RSBandB informer. So to be honest i severely doubt that any more than 500 people who read the informer are using 800x600 resolution.

And anyway, why should you make special arrangements for people who are using old and outdated technology, at the expense of making it look rubbish for those using the now more common, larger resolutions? If 63% are using 1024x768, and 10% are using 800x600, that implies that for 27% of people, the informer website looks way too thin and rubbish. One of those people is me (i use 1280x800).

And why dont you make it a relative or liquid layout anyway? Make it 90%, and it will work at all resolutions.

And maybe you should think more about people's posts on the forums than their application, Shane. Its like an exam - some people who are incredibly intelligent dont do very well in their exams, but when it comes to applying their knowledge, they do it incredibly well. The reverse is also true - someone may do very well in an exam, but do not deliver results when it comes to applying their knowledge. Im sure 7870074's application was excellent, but he really didnt amaze me with his article this month.

The RSBandB informer was an excellent idea that is failing, in my opinion. A month between the editions is too long - however busy someone's social life is, it does not take one month to write one 300-word long article. It hardly even takes half an hour. I think you are also starting to lose interest from people as the articles become even more uninteresting every month. Just have some guest articles every month or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 5:44 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Punisher1288
Clan Name: The Cookie Armada
alot better issue, i loved crysala's rants. and i always love shane talking dirty computer talk to me.....xd.

*Member #514*
*Rsbandb Donor*

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 7:09 am 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
RS Name: Alex 43
Clan Name: Rsbandb! All the way!
You sure have a knack for details, MasteroftheVortex.

Hey, even I'll agree that an entire month for a few articles is a little long. Seeing as Runescape has a monthly "Postbag from the Hedge", and that's only about as long as ONE of our articles, we don't have very extreme competition in the field.

But yes, I'll admit that only once a month is a little long. I usually get my articles done the first week, and have to wait for so long in order to hear other people's feedback of my ideas, writing, and ... artwork.

Perhaps if it was Bi-monthly, or had a few smaller articles per week of tech and ... creativity, that lead up to the bigger one with all the Runescape updates and stuff. Can sort of be like a regular newspaper that has a major version once a week with smaller ones each day, except a bit more spread out.

But yes, we all have our social lives and don't want to have to concern ourselves too much with writing an essay per week.

Some of us, however, do have time. I can do it while I'm fishing or woodcutting no problem. Maybe if Shane wanted to, we could make some small weekly Informer aticles that lead up to the larger one. However, with all our ideas spent, we can't guarentee that the larger one will in fact be larger then the previous ones.

Just my insights on the situation. You brought up a very good point, and I wanted to comment on it.

Oh, and for the win, I use 800 x 600, and 10% of 9000 is 900, not 3000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 7:14 am 
Runite Member

heres a screeeeenshot :D

[74] | [103] | [125] | [153]_____[74] | [103] | [125] | [153]
[/center]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 9:09 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Sevith
Clan Name: RSBandB of course!
MasterOfTheVortex I have a good reson for that. Shane knows it. I know my article wasn't that impressive but it's pretty hard to write a long article when your moving from computer to computer all day.

Next month I'll do better, but thanks everyone :wink:

Marty O' Donnell says Howdy :)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 10:02 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Melanie256
Clan Name: Oak Island Pirates
MasterOfTheVortex wrote:
TheMothAssassin's article, like 7870074's, was also too short. His article last month was a lot longer, despite being a little big-headed. TMA, why didnt you offer a few of your own ideas, or maybe quote others ideas an say what you think about them? That would have made it longer.

Well, I started at the last minute, and by that time the sticky was already long gone. Perhaps I should have begun writing sooner. :?

*Totus vestri substructio es usus nobis.
*You'd be surprised at the kinds of chances they have in Hell.
*Corndogs ease the pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 10:03 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Stanley1943
RS Status: F2P
Quote:
Ok, you didnt tell people how to add the hard drive.

I would like it if you could tell me how 10% of 9000 is 3000, shane. As of this post, there are 9032 registered users on RSBandB. Now, remember, that not all of those read the RSBandB informer. So to be honest i severely doubt that any more than 500 people who read the informer are using 800x600 resolution.

And anyway, why should you make special arrangements for people who are using old and outdated technology, at the expense of making it look rubbish for those using the now more common, larger resolutions? If 63% are using 1024x768, and 10% are using 800x600, that implies that for 27% of people, the informer website looks way too thin and rubbish. One of those people is me (i use 1280x800).

And why dont you make it a relative or liquid layout anyway? Make it 90%, and it will work at all resolutions.

As Shane said in the article, he won't go in detail on the "how". It is usually in the manual and the method differs from each case.

Remember, not all people who read the newspaper register on the forums. What I suggest Shane do is actually setup a simple script that will get the stats on informer.rsbandb.com.

Liquid layouts look terrible on widescreens. I know you can use max-width and min-width, but Internet Exploder doesn't support them.

Flipvlug wrote:
heres a screeeeenshot :D

What browser are you using? I don't have any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 1:08 pm 
Site Owner

I've tweaked the system so that now you can view by author. You can go to the staff page and click on the authors names or just when your viewing an article click their name on that to get more.

Shane

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 1:21 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: REDRANGER
Quite the critic, aren't you MOTV?

Hm. I really don't see the problem with monthly issues. If everyone else does monthlies, I don't see why we shouldn't. I don't see it as that much of a problem. You're just going to have to get used to it.

Great job as usual, everyone.