Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: I wanna build a new computer
PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 8:54 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Pengu i n
RS Status: P2P
Yeah. Another one of these threads >_>

Spoiler for what im thinking so far:

Fix/Comments? Price range is like 500-750. I have a 1TB hard drive already.

Content Crew Oct 26, 2009 - Nov 22, 2012

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 8:54 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: I wanna build a new computer
PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 12:42 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Maybe you might want a bigger SSD, a 120 maybe?

Also what video card do you have now? (as a benchmark to see where everything falls in line)

PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 1:35 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: EnkindleThis
I would suggest another PSU for sure, I've heard bad things about Rosewill PSUs in general plus it's not modular. I can confirm this one is a great choice:

Antec BP550 - $65

I've used these in three separate desktops for the last few years and they've worked fantastically.

Also, for the SSD I would recommend:

Intel 520 series 120GB SSD - $130

You would be getting a better quality drive with Intel plus much more storage :)
Plus I'm reading a lot of reviews for the Crucial saying it has a very short lifespan..

I tend to recommend Antec cases as they seem to be the most solidly built, while brands like Coolermaster and Rosewill end up having cheesy plastic components everywhere. These two cases are basically the standards when it comes to custom gaming PCs:

Antec Three Hundred - $55
Antec Nine Hundred - $77 after rebate

Register for Dropbox and get both of us bonus storage space on top of the 2GB!

PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 7:21 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Just some quick notes -- Here's the recommendation for GPU at your price point. The 560SE or 7770 is recommended at that price point (~$130), with the 7770 being lower-power and roughly the same performance.

I tend to go cheap on the case since it really doesn't add anything to the build, performance wise. As long as there is decent airflow and doesn't break/fall apart, you'll be fine. With that being said, it looks like the Rosewill case you chose should fit those requirements without issue.

If you're planning on doing some overclocking, I'd consider a better cooler for the CPU, but since that's not added in your list, I'll not include that here. But that is the other usage case where looking into the case (dimensions, specifically) would be beneficial.

64GB is fine for a boot drive, though I'd recommend 90-120GB if you want to put a few programs on and not have to worry. The Crucial M4 drive was one of the fastest drives you could buy when it came out. It also had good reviews regarding longevity, but not as good as Intel or Samsung. Granted, longevity is still fairly relative when you're having to write terabytes and terabytes of data (to the point that most SSDs will last 8-10 years, potentially longer, given average use cases).

I've got no real idea how the Rosewill PSUs behave, and would tend to buy something more name-brand. OCZ, Antec, Cooler Master, XFX, Silverstone, SeaSonic, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, and NZXT would be the brands I'd probably choose from. Additionally, try to find something 80 Plus Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum certified. 80 Plus is fine, though Bronze seems to be the goal to shoot for. My PSU is only 80 Plus certified, and it seems to be perfectly fine so far with CrossfireX and and an overclocked CPU. Here is a 80+ Bronze PC Power and Cooling 500W modular PSU with 2x PCIe power connectors. It's $80, with a 15% off (instant) till the 26th, and a $20 MIR. That brings the total price down to $48 for a stellar 500W PSU with plenty of upgrade options.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 11:59 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Pengu i n
Thanks everyone, I'm going to switch to a 120GB SSD as one came on sale today for $80 (ADATA, never heard of the brand but it has decent reviews) and a different PSU (Probably the Antec Kef mentioned as I loathe rebates)
Also Shane, this is the GPU I have installed on my current computer.

Content Crew Oct 26, 2009 - Nov 22, 2012

PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 1:48 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Ha, I've got that same GPU (the GT 220) running 24/7 Folding @ Home on my server. From what the friend who gave me it said, it's pretty crappy for gaming. You'll have a *huge* improvement by going to the GTX 560SE.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 1:48 pm