Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Statement
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:44 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
RS Status: P2P
Firering401 wrote:
Ranging God wrote:
Firering401 wrote:

You are very lucky then. A lot of childrens (including when i was a child) parents dont have the extra money to do that. Also, what justification do you have to copy media? Would you want to spend countless hours painting a painting that you have put so much effort into, just to have someone photocopy it? No, i dont believe you would.

Also, in reference to your CCP
"while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies."[7] This case made clear that manufacturing and distribution of circumvention tools was illegal, but use of those tools for non-infringing purposes, including fair use purposes, was not.

My parents don't spend all that much on movies..

I said I only like 3 series.

- Spiderman
- Harry Potter
- Star wars

Each of these series has had movies come out at various times.. These are movies I have liked since I was a kid, and I wouldn't even bother looking for an illegal copy online. The illegal copys are of ******* quality. Plus, they can be "potentially dangerous to the health of the consumer", according to the MPAA...

And you are right, I was aware of that case. But if you honestly trust the MPAA not to continue to extend their powers. Next thing it will be "Stop online circumvention act" and then "Stop users from copying movies to their minds by beating them clueless after viewing copyrighted material act" ...

I think we have beat this subject to death (literally?)... I wasn't trying to be insulting to anyone who holds opposite beliefs.

I refer you to this episode of FLOSS weekly, I found it of high importance http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/192
I also refer you to this episode of Triangulation, I found it very informative http://twit.tv/show/triangulation/37

My opinion was likely formed because I read blogs like Techdirt/Torrentfreak and listen to the Twit network, all of whom are anti-regulation

Which is why SOPA and PIPA are not out for voting. It MAY give to much power. But what I don't understand is how you think there is nothing wrong with copying and distributing media.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:44 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:54 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
You are very lucky then. A lot of childrens (including when i was a child) parents dont have the extra money to do that. Also, what justification do you have to copy media? Would you want to spend countless hours painting a painting that you have put so much effort into, just to have someone photocopy it? No, i dont believe you would.

Also, in reference to your CCP
"while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies."[7] This case made clear that manufacturing and distribution of circumvention tools was illegal, but use of those tools for non-infringing purposes, including fair use purposes, was not.[/quote]

My parents don't spend all that much on movies..

I said I only like 3 series.

- Spiderman
- Harry Potter
- Star wars

Each of these series has had movies come out at various times.. These are movies I have liked since I was a kid, and I wouldn't even bother looking for an illegal copy online. The illegal copys are of ******* quality. Plus, they can be "potentially dangerous to the health of the consumer", according to the MPAA...

And you are right, I was aware of that case. But if you honestly trust the MPAA not to continue to extend their powers. Next thing it will be "Stop online circumvention act" and then "Stop users from copying movies to their minds by beating them clueless after viewing copyrighted material act" ...

I think we have beat this subject to death (literally?)... I wasn't trying to be insulting to anyone who holds opposite beliefs.

I refer you to this episode of FLOSS weekly, I found it of high importance http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/192
I also refer you to this episode of Triangulation, I found it very informative http://twit.tv/show/triangulation/37

My opinion was likely formed because I read blogs like Techdirt/Torrentfreak and listen to the Twit network, all of whom are anti-regulation[/quote]

Which is why SOPA and PIPA are not out for voting. It MAY give to much power. But what I don't understand is how you think there is nothing wrong with copying and distributing media.

I didn't say that, I think that's wrong. I wouldn't distribute copyrighted content (apart from giving a book to a friend who is in a younger grade than me).. I just think the issue is overhyped. Yes piracy is a bad thing, yes people are getting **** by sites like the pirate bay. I just think legislation isn't the way to go for this, innovation is. People HATE the RIAA and MPAA. They know them as "those **** who sued a dead guy" or "those **** who sued a lady without internet" (not making this up, real quotes from a foreign exchange student in plain english). Because of the RIAA/MPAA's "abuse" or "strong enforcement", it gives people more of a reason to "steal" from them. Because in their mind, they are hurting the RIAA, not the artist. In their mind, buying the music would support "the enemy", it would support the old internetless lady's lawsuit...

But yes, piracy = bad, legislation = worse..

I think the RIAA and MPAA should control their own music stores, for their stupid label artists, same thing with the MPAA. Some people pirate for the lack of availability.. If they put the content for direct sale, in a non-restricted and non-limited format.. I would bet that piracy decreases. Also, these are old people.. Not young, innovative, free thinking, open people like you or I

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 7:00 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Music is not something that can be physically owned.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » Off-Topic » Non-RuneScape Discussion » Tech Talk » Statement Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]