Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: A warning.
PostPosted: March 21st, 2012, 3:10 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Ult_Spash
RS Status: Classic
Ladies.

I got an e-mail on Saturday the 10th.

Normally I would just ignore something like this, but I did check both of my accounts and they are both totally green. This website is the only site that I have gone on in a LONG time that even mentions Runescape, and that means there is something sinister lurking on the forums.

Strange, since I have both "Users can contact me by e-mail:" and "Administrators can e-mail me information:" set to "no".

Thought you'd like to know that you're e-mails are not safe.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 21st, 2012, 3:10 pm 
Dragon Member

Post subject: Re: A warning.
PostPosted: March 21st, 2012, 4:03 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Parselmouth
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: DGS
These kinds of emails are fairly common but aren't hard to recognize that they are fake. They aren't related to this forum at all, as these phishers just sent out massive amounts of email and by chance many of them do get to runescape players.

Most if not all of these emails are regarding the status of your account in the sense that it has been caught botting, muted, or something along those lines and they ask you to log in to do something about it. These are always fake as they only contact you by the message center for any infractions on the account. However they will email you about loyalty points or if you change your contact email. Another thing you can notice is in the email settings on the rs site, it allows you to enter a name for them to call you by, so all me emails from them are started with Dear Jason, whereas yours was started with Dear Player.

RSN: Parselmouth | Jaysawn on ********

PostPosted: March 21st, 2012, 7:41 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
This is the only RS related site I go to and yet I get one of these a day. You know whats scary though? It's not to the e-mail I have on here!! holy **** what's happening
I also get these scam e-mails but for WoW even though I've never visited any WoW site... also, I didn't even use this e-mail on the accounts. scary stuff

But yeah I wonder how they got my e-mail addys when even ones I never use for anything related. WHO SOLD MY E-MAIL? WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME SO I COULD SELL IT TO THEM MYSELF

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2012, 10:49 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
honestly, it's from jagex itself. the email i use for this site isn't even on here, but i sure as hell get WoW and jagex emails about my account or from zezima. and i don't even play wow.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 4:27 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
It was actually these fake emails that got me into playing Runescape again after being away from the game for almost a year. Was getting these emails for months even though I thought they were real, somehow I was smart enough to not follow the links but to access my account on Runescape's site itself. I was told I was real world trading and was more sad then ***** my account had been hacked and stolen.

But after checking their site everything was all good, still updated my questions and changed my pass just to be double safe. First thing that came to my mind how they got my email was RSBandB too.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 9:00 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
You know what's funny? I get them to the e-mail I have registered on my RS account and it's the only rs-related site i have that e-mail on.

Too be honest, and I'm not being paranoid conspiracyish now, I really wouldn't be surprised if Jagex sold players e-mails to solicitors. Not like I'm going to accuse them of doing it since there's nothing that points to it, but they're so shadey now that the practice would fit their business model. XD

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 9:00 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 6:08 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Monstermas22
Clan Name: Skillah_Kings
Odd.. I haven't received one of those in a month.

My provider automatically flags it as phishing, and I forward it to Jagex for them to take legal action on the host/staff of the phishing site.

Dragon Left half drops: 14
Most Recent: 1/24/11 (Black Demon task; Kuradal)