Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: laptop problem
PostPosted: September 15th, 2009, 7:44 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: d4fin0
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: blurblue
Just something wrong with my laptop (at least i think so)

Well, my laptop ran out of battery, and i put the adaptor back into the laptop to charge it up. Then, when i press the power button, a little yellow light keeps on flashing up for a few seconds, then goes away. So i figure that if i leave the computer in the charger, It would power on when i press the power button. I'm assuming that this little yellow light might be the recharging light. But the thing is, if that was so, the light would be solid-yellow, which indicates "charging status". when is done recharging, it would turn to solid green indicating it is ready to use again.

I'll use the forums as a last resort before i go to my computer shop and get them to investigate it.

Cheers, dafin0 :lol:

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 15th, 2009, 7:44 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: laptop problem
PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 12:58 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
What's the manufacturer, model ect. of your computer?

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 2:07 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Usually when mine does this, the battery is at a critical level. Once it passes the critical level, and is just low, the battery icon is yellow/orange and is solid throughout charging. If your battery holds a good charge, and no other problems are present, you're probably fine. If the battery isn't holding a good charge, the blinking may be an indicator to show that you should purchase a new battery that can hold a charge.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 4:52 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: d4fin0
Clan Name: blurblue
Well, the laptop's an acer travelmate 4060....

I tried pressing it again. Still doesn't work. So in order to get a new battery, does the battery have to be the same type of battery as my current one. Since it came with it, I'm assuming that it's an acer battery.

Now over here in australia, I'm not sure where to get a battery, if i need one. Maybe, it might just be that i need a new charger. But, i think i wlll grab a battery to be safe =P~.

Should i call up acer and ask them if they sell batteries for my laptop??

PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 5:51 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
OOH, misread what you said. Thought the battery light was blinking..

Anyway, if your computer isn't booting, even with the power cable plugged in, there could be one of a few problems.

The power cable could be the issue if it isn't providing any power, so if possible try a different charger. If the charger isn't the issue, perhaps it is the socket that the power cable plugs into that is causing the problems.

If it is neither of these problems, you could have a problem with the hardware in the laptop. If there is a pattern to the blinking, look it up on Acer's website. The blinking with a specific pattern could signify something like a bad motherboard, similar to my Thinkpad beeping when there is an issue with the hardware.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 4:08 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
All laptops are different. You need to find out whether the light it a charging light, power light or one of several other things.

So you're saying that the laptop won't turn on at all, whether plugged into the mains or not, and whether the battery is charged or not? If this is so, try taking the battery out and running the laptop off the mains only. There maybe a problem with the battery that it preventing power getting to the laptop itself.

Also, check the charger. It maybe that the charger is broken- it's more common than you think.

If you're sure it's not the charger or the battery that's the problem, it could be any number of things. The fact that the light comes on at all means that at least some power is getting in, and because there's nothing on the screen, the problem is likely to be a hardware issue. This makes it very hard to diagnose, but the fact that you can't even get to the BIOS POST stage suggests to me a BIOS or motherboard issue that is preventing your laptop from even beginning to boot, let along diagnosing itself.

Unless there are any other developments, you best bet is to take it to a repair shop.

-----------------------------

dafin0 wrote:
Well, the laptop's an acer travelmate 4060....

I tried pressing it again. Still doesn't work. So in order to get a new battery, does the battery have to be the same type of battery as my current one. Since it came with it, I'm assuming that it's an acer battery.

Now over here in australia, I'm not sure where to get a battery, if i need one. Maybe, it might just be that i need a new charger. But, i think i wlll grab a battery to be safe =P~.

Should i call up acer and ask them if they sell batteries for my laptop??

A new battery probably won't be necessary. If your laptop is able to run off the mains with no battery connected, there's no point in trying a new battery. Take off the battery, plug into mains and see if the laptop turns on. If it doesn't, you've either got a problem with your charger or laptop, or the laptop simply doesn't let you turn it on with no battery. If it does turn on, the problem is with the battery, in which case, you you will need a new one.

When buying a new battery, you need to make sure that it specifically works with your laptop. However, it may not be the exact same one. You can get different capacity batteries, but so long as it works with your laptop, it doesn't matter.

[obviously if the laptop needs the battery in to turn on even when on the mains, you'll have to get a new battery to eliminate this as the problem]

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 4:08 pm 
Rsbandb Donor