Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: RSBANDBUpdate! 355 - Buying Squeals
PostPosted: April 7th, 2012, 2:49 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
Easter's just around the corner, we examine just why Buying Squeal spins is controversial, and we delve into what could be coming in April with the new BTS article.
Download Now
Direct Download - 64 Kbit MP3 (Full Show Notes)

Hosts: Shane and Trekkie
Duration: 1:39:57

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 7th, 2012, 2:49 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: RSBANDBUpdate! 355 - Buying Squeals
PostPosted: April 7th, 2012, 3:05 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mercifull
Clan Name: Council of Elders
Looking forward to listening to this one :)

PostPosted: April 7th, 2012, 6:28 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
Where was my youtube link ? :(

PostPosted: April 8th, 2012, 4:55 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Mercifull
Clan Name: Council of Elders
I think I count as a older player (27) and played runescape since 2001. I am against the concept of buying spins for the squeal of fortune. I think it encourages gambling in a game which is to supposed to be an escape from real life. I don't even like the concept, its so far removed from the lore of RuneScape it isn't even animated in the game engine. It's just a silly cartoon shoved onto the top of what is supposed to be a fantasy adventure game. I don't like the idea of being able to purchase xp or items with stats. I do NOT have a problem with micro-transactions however. Jagex could have added all the cosmetic rewards to the loyalty shop and then sold loyalty points for money. Instead they have made the squeal knowing that people are doing it to buy xp. This puts people who do not want to spend real money at a disadvantage to those that do. There are already stories of people gaining tens of millions of xp. High level "popular" people have already begun asking their subscribers and followers for real life donations. There are also allegations against some people who may or may not have gained their massive wealth through questionably legal means selling the gold to gold traders and then using real money to launder that into legitimate xp on the squeal.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2012, 5:10 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: blethorskite
Clan Name: Fealty Stars
For me JAGEX has now become totally morally bankrupt. As most of the players are pre 18 and below the legal age to gamble this is simply endorsing, encouraging and providing an avenue for under age gambling.

And as for demeaning those levels people gaining through time, effort or skill, and agree with what Mercifull outlines above.

We all at times might complain about some of the updtates making things easier or removing some element we enjoyed but this is a whole different thing.

ImageImage

PostPosted: April 8th, 2012, 5:16 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Mercifull wrote:
There are also allegations against some people who may or may not have gained their massive wealth through questionably legal means selling the gold to gold traders and then using real money to launder that into legitimate xp on the squeal.

Interesting point here, it sounds like a feedback loop. I never thought of it this way before, should be interesting to see what happens in this area.

I think if this is indeed true Jagex needs to rectify it by having some form of buyable currency in game usable for things, not necessarily already existing in game.

Also, Blethorskite I would agree with the whole morally bankrupt point of view. Gambling for minors is a big big no no. Jagex also has shown that this year with the carnival update...

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 8th, 2012, 5:16 am 
Site Owner