Post subject: Attack/Strength Guide
PostPosted: December 8th, 2006, 1:36 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Kangas Khan
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: MaSoRs
This is a combined guide of Attack and Strength. If you see a (*) you should take note that that feature is only available to RuneScape members.
-

What are Attack and Strength? Well, they are the skills which determine how often and how high you can hit damage while using a melee weapon. Where as Strength mainly focuses on increasing your maximum hit, Attack increases your chance of hitting your opponent. A certain attack level may also give you the ability to wield new weapons, and some of these also require a strength level.

To begin, I have created a table containing basic information about what weapons you can wield with these two skills, for more detailed information, continue to read past the table.

Type of WeaponAttack Level requiredStrength Level Required
Bronze WeaponryLevel 1N/A
Iron WeaponryLevel 1N/A
Steel WeaponryLevel 5N/A
Black WeaponryLevel 10N/A
Mithril WeaponryLevel 20N/A
Adamant WeaponryLevel 30N/A
Rune WeaponryLevel 40N/A
Granite MaulLevel 50Level 50
Dragon WeaponryLevel 60N/A
Obsidian WeaponryLevel 60Level 60
Abyssal WhipLevel 70N/A
Torag's and Dharok's WeaponryLevel 70Level 70
Guthan's and Verac's WeaponryLevel 70N/A

-----
-----

Level 1 Attack.
-----
This level gives you the right to wield two types of weapons, Bronze, and Iron.
Most of these weapons can be found in shops, however things such as spears(*) are more accessible by killing goblins, near Lumbridge.
Of course, there is also the smithing skill, which can help you get a weapon, if you are unable to buy one.
-----

-----

Level 5 Attack.
-----
This level gives you the right to wield Steel weaponry.
A lot of monsters drop these weapons, but like Bronze/Iron weapons, they are much more easy to find within shops.
Steel weaponry is also smith-able, but you'll need a level 30 smithing skill in order to create yourself the most basic of those.
A hard feat to obtain if you're a New Player, so I would still recommend buying them from shops.
-----

-----

Level 10 Attack.
-----
At level 10 attack, you'll be able to wield the incredibly cool looking Black armour.
These are harder to obtain, as these weapons are unsmithable.
The Battleaxe, Dagger and Long/Swords can be bought from shops, along with the Black Two Handed Sword if you're a member, however, the rest are found through drops.
The sole exception being the elusive Black Scimitar, which can only be found in Ardougne castle, and only then, if you have a high thieving level.
-----

-----

Level 20 Attack.
-----
At level 20 attack, you'll be able to wear the blue, Mithril Weapons. Most of these are bought from shops, however harder to obtain weapons are found through monster drops. Smith-able at level 50+, it is a rare event that someone who needs Mithril armour can smith their own, but if you enjoy smithing, I'd definitely go for it!
-----

-----

Level 30 Attack.
-----
Adamantite. The cool looking green armour you see various people wandering around Varrock in. Unlike most other metals, only the Two Handed Sword, Battleaxe, Dagger and Long/Swords are available in the shops. And so you're likely to have to buy weaponry off another player if you're searching for a certain kind. (Such as a scimitar).
-----

-----

Level 40 Attack.
-----
The last stretch for Free Players is finally over, you can wield the very shiny runite weaponry. Unfortunately, almost all of these come from monster drops or a very experienced smith. You'll need to gather a bit of cash, or become very lucky in training areas to receive one as a drop. The longsword, dagger and sword are available in the Champions Guild for a small sum though.
-----

-----

Level 50 Attack. (*)
-----
Currently, only one weapon is available for those with 50 attack. Unfortunately, this weapon also requires the level 50 in strength as well! Fear not, as this weapon was very popular during the first few weeks of it's release, and will certainly not disappoint those who train to wield it. I am talking about none other than the Granite Maul.
-----

-----

Level 60 Attack.(*)
-----
The blood-red dragon weapons are now your allies. Don't expect an easy "buy from a shop" like you're used to though, all but three of these weapons have a nasty habit of having a quest requirement for you to fulfill before you can wield them. The weapons also have special attacks, to aid you in your combat.
Dagger/Longsword - Available from a Zanaris market stall after completing the Lost City Quest.
Battleaxe/Mace - Available after completing Heroes quest, in the Heroes guild.
Halberd - Available at Tyras camp, and able to be wielded after completing Regicide.
Scimitar - After completing Monkey Madness, this sleek weapon is yours for a mere 100k from Baba, a monkey salesman n Ape-Atoll.
Dragon 2 handed sword, Dragon Axe and Dragon Spears are the weapons which have no requirement for you to wield, and can be bought from players, or received as a very rare monster drop.
-----
Another feature of becoming level 60 in Attack, is the ability to use Obsidian Weaponry, these also come with the 60 strength requirement, but with one of the available weapons being the obsidian maul, the levels are well worth it. The obsidian maul may be slow, but certainly hits high, every now and then. Other obsidian items include the knife, sword, mace, staff and rings(ranged weapon). And are all available in the TzHaar area under Karamja Volcano.
-----

-----

Level 70 Attack.(*)
-----
The Abyssal Whip, and Barrows weapons are now available for you. Abyssal whips are dropped by the Powerful Abyssal Demons, attackable at a monstrous 85 slayer. Apart from the Dharok's Greataxe and Torag's Hammers which also require 70 strength to use, all Barrows weapons can be used with the attack level, they tend to only be of use with the full Barrows Set with it, and can be found in the Barrows Catacombs, beware though, only the worthy can survive there.
-----

-----

There are many types of different melee weapons. Here's a brief description of them.

Hatchet - Primarily used as a Woodcutting tool, but can be used as a weapon. Normal speed but weak.
Pick Axe - Primarily used as a Mining Tool. Possibly the worst weapon to use, these are slow and weak.
Dagger - Fastest Weapon in RuneScape. These aren't used often, unless the dagger is a dragon one. In which case it is normally only used for it's special attack. Daggers can be poisoned.
Sword - Weaker than the Longsword, but slightly faster. Not used very often, and many prefer the longsword over it.
Mace - Used to compliment prayer, as it gives a slight bonus. However, they are normally weak.
Longsword - A longer, more powerful version of the longsword. More powerful but will empty your pockets a bit more.
Scimitar - A curved sword. Quite powerful and possibly the fastest type of weapon bar the whip and dagger.
Battleaxe - Sluggish but deadly. One of the more popular weapons in RuneScape, along with the Scimitar.
Warhammers - Slow, but somewhat powerful against monsters and other players in armour.
2 Handed Sword - Very Slow, but devastating if used correctly. Shields or Prayer Books(*) cannot be worn at the same time.
Claws(*) - Fast, but weak. Not as popular as the Dagger by a long shot. Very rarely used.
Spear(*) - Two handed, and weak. Not used often. These can be poisoned.
Halberd(*) - Slow, with normal power. Used to hit monsters at a distance, protecting the user. These are two handed. Halberds also require a strength level to wield, different for each of them, here's a table to show you;

Halberd TypeAttack Level RequiredStrength Level Required
BronzeLevel 1Level 1
IronLevel 1Level 1
SteelLevel 5Level 1
Black/WhiteLevel 10Level 5
MithrilLevel 20Level 10
AdamantLevel 30Level 15
RuneLevel 40Level 20
DragonLevel 60Level 30(?)

Whip(*) - Fast, Strong, and the most popular weapon in game.
-----

There are many other unique weapons out there for you to try. Try them all and see which you think is the best!

*ticks 2 more skills off the list*
I know I need pictures. You can help if you want. Any more suggestions? :D

Last edited by Anubis on January 26th, 2007, 9:10 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 8th, 2006, 1:36 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 1:16 pm 
a very nice guide,

I know u already said but it needs pics :D

and possibly maps for ppl

Good luck with ur other guides :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 1:55 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Southrend
RS Status: Classic
You can add warhammers to the list. They're usefull against people with metal armor.

Proud RSB&B Member #570 since 12/27/04
Proud RSB&B Mod since 7/24/05

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 2:10 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Gotekn
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: TKC, The Kindred Clan
say this is a weapon guide and levels needed. Because when I looked at it I thought it was a guide to help raise strength and attack. Other than that great guide. Also you didn't include that you need 50 attack for granite maul. You might wanna add that. Anyway great job.

~Gotekn~

a recent study showed that 92% percent of all teenagers converted to emo/puck etc. put this in ur profile if ur one of the 8% who stayed gangsterr
I post in cyan cause I'm good like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2006, 9:28 pm 
Great work, will help lots of people 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2007, 3:49 am 
Rsbandb Donor

It's a guide to the skills and what they can give to you, since a guide explaining how to train attack and strength can consist of telling a player to kill chickens for 5 years and can be easily considered a combat guide, I suggest someone create a guide on how to train various combat skills, as I'm sure it would be much more organized to have that sort of training together. (Apart from those reasons, I'd just say "Train slayer with attack". XD

Updated; Warhammers, Greataxe and Maul.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 25th, 2007, 3:49 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2007, 4:31 am 
Dragon Member

Use tables. Period.

And if I'm not mistaken, 3rd age is armour only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2007, 4:45 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Frankie042
I can see you made the edit, i think this is a good guide, mabye table it like ^^ said, and then you can mabye have a few styles of context.

The context could be mixed around between attack then strength, then attack again, because just attack and just strength gets a bit confusin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2007, 1:37 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Dragon 2 handed sword, Dragon Axe and Dragon Spears are the weapons which have no requirement for you to wield, and can be bought from players, or received as a very rare monster drop.

Do you mean no quest requirement? Or no level requirement?

Scimitar - A curved sword. Quite powerful and possibly the fastest type of weapon bar the whip and dagger.

Besides?

I think Torag's Hammers have a strength requirment, same with halberds. Also you could add the prices of the weapons from the shops for the dragon weapons. You missed the "o" for "on" in the 60 attack scimitar description.

Very nice guide. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2007, 3:15 pm 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: StraySatsuma
nice guide hopefully it will help a lot of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2007, 4:22 pm 
Dragon Member

Add Obsidian to the table, add pictures, weapon types, weapon stats, special attacks, attack styles, weapon speeds. and remove the ridiculous ---

Weapon speeds vary from 0-10 and can be found here - http://kbase.runescape.com/lang/en/aff/ ... le_id=2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2007, 4:53 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

I'll get a ton of pictures during the first few days of next week, thanks for the help so far everyone.

~Added Torags Hammers and Obsidian to table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2007, 5:47 pm 
Dragon Member

Obsidian requires 60 strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2007, 7:10 am 
Mithril Member

RS Name: The Summer X
Clan Name: Clan Peacefull
Impressive, Just need a few pictures.. etc, As you mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2007, 7:49 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Southrend
RS Status: Classic
Halberds require a weird strenght lvl.

Bronze iron and steel requires 1 str
Black requires 5 str
Mith 10 str
Addy 15 str
Rune 20 str

Proud RSB&B Member #570 since 12/27/04