Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best PC case fan setup for me...?
PostPosted: July 7th, 2013, 3:22 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Jadchor
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: The Order of War
Hey there,

So after looking at some detailed pics of the full tower case I bought there will be limited space to mount my Corsair Hydro Series H100i liquid cooler radiator inside at the top. Basically with the placement of cables and interior dimenions I have to have the two 120mm fans on top of the radiator. I don't think I'll have enough clearance between the MOBO heatsinks and radiator to fit two more fans on the bottom side of the radiator. See the picture attached for the rest of the case fans I have. This is the only place I can install the radiator. I can't install it as intake at the front because I'd have to remove all of the bays in order to make enough room. The setup can't really be changed from what's shown in the diagram below.

I've thought of two options for managing air flow. Option A includes rear fan, radiator at top and side fan as intake while bottom 2 and front 2 fans as outtake. Option B includes 2 front and 2 bottom fans as intake and radiator as exhaust at top, rear as outtake and the side fan can either be intake or outtake (what way do you think?). Testing and monitoring the temps would be the best way to tell which is better, but I don't have all the parts yet to build the PC. In your opinion which option would be the best for cooling?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: July 7th, 2013, 3:22 pm 
Dragon Member

Post subject: Re: Best PC case fan setup for me...?
PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 12:16 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
If you don't put anything on top of your computer, you could potentially make a push/pull configuration by putting your radiator against your case at the top, your fans on the bottom of that, and two more fans on the outside. I'm pretty sure you'll want to pull out at the top though, as that is where the heat will end up. Option B looks better, for that regard.

I'd be concerned about the two bottom fans, in that they might not be pulling in a lot of air if your case isn't situated right / if your case isn't elevated enough to provide for enough air under the case. I'd probably be tempted to leave that as intake.

I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to airflow, so please don't take that as an end all beat all answer.

Post subject: Re: Best PC case fan setup for me...?
PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 8:16 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Jadchor
Clan Name: The Order of War
Thanks for the post. One of my good friends who knows PC's pretty good recommended option B as well. There's a traignle sloped grill on top of the case that is removable. I could take that off and mount the radiator on top and do a push/pull set up (fans on top and below). I'll monkey around with it once I got my hands on all the parts and start the build.