Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Little bit of ad-ware.
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 7:10 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
So I am having a problem with some ad-ware on my laptop.
A lot of website's text get linked and when you hover over them they cause pop ups than can get quite annoying. (This happens on sites like forums and YouTube. I can provide pictures if you need them)
I also get small pop ups in the corners of website with ads. (Such as Best Buy and Amazon and what not)

I was wondering how you would go about getting rid of this. I am not sure where I got it from as I haven't really done anything lately and haven't downloaded anything shady/illegal in some time.

I ran Avast!, Ad-Aware, and MalwareBytes and nothing found anything. I am running SpyBot now.

How would you guys go about getting rid of this?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 7:10 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: Little bit of ad-ware.
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 7:52 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
I would reformat completely. And next time watch what you install. I recommend using an adblocker for your daily browsing. (But I still think you should support the websites you visit most. I usually "check out" the ads on my favorite sites, because it supports them and Google, a company which I like very much.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 9:50 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Southrend
RS Status: Classic
It's probably not ad-ware. Which toolbars do you've got installed for your webbrowsers? Probably one of them has that as a 'feature'. Uninstall that toolbar and you're done.

Proud RSB&B Member #570 since 12/27/04
Proud RSB&B Mod since 7/24/05

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 5:07 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
Ring wrote:
I would reformat completely. And next time watch what you install. I recommend using an adblocker for your daily browsing. (But I still think you should support the websites you visit most. I usually "check out" the ads on my favorite sites, because it supports them and Google, a company which I like very much.

Hell no. I just got this computer and have way too much **** installed. and I am not reformatting for some ad-ware. You sound like my father.

Southrend wrote:
It's probably not ad-ware. Which toolbars do you've got installed for your webbrowsers? Probably one of them has that as a 'feature'. Uninstall that toolbar and you're done.

Well that turned out to do that trick. I went into my Chrome extensions and there was a little one called "Fastsave". **** fastsave.

Thank you very much! The issue is solved!

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 1:53 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Southrend
RS Status: Classic
Always nice to see it was something easy as that. Safes you a lot of time to track it down.

Proud RSB&B Member #570 since 12/27/04
Proud RSB&B Mod since 7/24/05

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 9:06 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Quote:
I ran Avast!, Ad-Aware, and MalwareBytes and nothing found anything. I am running SpyBot now.

Just a random tidbit - Here's the updated Recommended Programs List as of May 2012. Ad-Aware and SpyBot have been surpassed by other programs in the past five-or-so years, and generally don't add a huge benefit to your experience. SpyBot could be useful for the immunization blacklist, though you could easily debate the usefulness of this feature.

In Chrome, visit chrome://chrome/extensions/ to see any extensions you've got installed. Verify they're all something you use and wish to keep. Disable anything you don't use or don't know the origin of, and if nothing seems to change in the next day or two, feel free to completely remove the extension.

You can do the same in Firefox by visiting about:addons.

Glad that the issue has been resolved :)

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 9:06 am