Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Please recommend software
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 3:18 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
Hi. I use a Base key system for my password authentication (Meaning I write down the first part of the password, aka the key, and I memorize the longer second part of the password called the base). I have been using a popular sync utility called evernote to sync my usernames/keys between my mac/iphone/ipad. However, it is not encrypted or remotely secure. Yes, I know evernote does support some encryption, however this is only for desktop clients and it is no where near what I am looking for.

So: I ask the genius hive mind of RSBANDB, what is the best way to securely sync (preferably strongly encrypted) text between iOS/Mac

Note: I am not looking for something like lastpass / 1password, I understand the benifits of such programs and have come to the conclusion that they just won't work for me.

Thank you, and as always

Love,
F401

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 3:18 pm 
BANNED

Post subject: Re: Please recommend software
PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 7:22 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
It's hard to get something that works on both iOS + a desktop solution. I'm looking up programs, and while there are a few that *might* work for some use cases, I don't think they'd be very worthwhile for you.

I'd just amend your technique by leaving out a character at the beginning or end of the passwords you're storing in the cloud, that way even if the list gets taken, they've got even less of the password than they would have otherwise. The only thing that would keep them from your passwords now is not having your one password, which would grant them access to the entire thing.

In the same instance though, LastPass works great. It might not work for you, but for me it's fantastic. I don't really do much of anything on non-desktop based OSes, so I don't use it too much.. But it does do the purpose well, and their security implementation is hard to question.

Post subject: Re: Please recommend software
PostPosted: March 6th, 2012, 7:39 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: firering401
RS Status: F2P
Pfkninenines wrote:
It's hard to get something that works on both iOS + a desktop solution. I'm looking up programs, and while there are a few that *might* work for some use cases, I don't think they'd be very worthwhile for you.

I'd just amend your technique by leaving out a character at the beginning or end of the passwords you're storing in the cloud, that way even if the list gets taken, they've got even less of the password than they would have otherwise. The only thing that would keep them from your passwords now is not having your one password, which would grant them access to the entire thing.

In the same instance though, LastPass works great. It might not work for you, but for me it's fantastic. I don't really do much of anything on non-desktop based OSes, so I don't use it too much.. But it does do the purpose well, and their security implementation is hard to question.

I considered msecure, but I'm not very keen on paying $30 (20 for mac, 10 for iOS). I could just store the full password on there? Even the key and the base? I would think using evernote is more secure than that.