Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Upcoming RuneWire Changes
PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:33 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
For a long time I have been working on a project to unify the two types of accounts RSBandB members have, RuneWire accounts and forum accounts. Initially this project was just going to be an add-on to the current RuneWire we all know. The codebase was messy and I determined that it would be better to just re-write the whole thing due to all the time needed to refractor the codebase. The purpose of this post is to highlight the changes that are coming down the road.

The simplest change that we are making is changing the name from RuneWire to The Wire.

Secondly, we will be unifying accounts. You will now use your forum account to log into RuneWire. Please continue using RuneWire as you have been ever since it was created. When the time comes the process for merging your account will be painless. If you're logged into RuneWire and the forums your conversion will happen automatically upon first visit. If you're not logged into RuneWire or the forums you will be asked to log in and the conversion will happen.

Upon converting your user account your forum profile data will be used on the Wire. Your old RuneWire profile data will be available for download once your account is converted. We will try to migrate as much of your friends list as possible. We can not migrate a friend unless that friends has migrated their account as well. So you know what this means, get your friends to convert! The same will also apply to your block list.

The other large change we're making deals with the event post type. The event post type is going to be removed completely. The event post type was rarely used by people outside of the events crew and it was a complicated tool to use. As a replacement we ask that you use the community events forum. Events posted in this forum currently can be promoted site wide and will continue to be promoted site wide. To get your event added to the rotator make sure it has all the necessary data and then send a message to Mike or myself.

To sum up the changes:
- Name change to "The Wire".
- Tighter integration with the rest of RSBandB.
- Unified account throughout RSBandB.
- Removal of event posts in favour of community events forum.
- A few other add-ons and improvements ;)

I'll open this topic up to questions now should anyone have any.

PS: The Wire is in a testing phase and is expected for release within 2 to 3 weeks.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:33 am 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: Upcoming RuneWire Changes
PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 5:24 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: iZant
Clan Name: Apocalypse Slayers
Sounds good, I can't wait!

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 7:34 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bryan Tran
Clan Name: W22 Farming
Event thingymajig removed = BETTER MOBILE BROWSING EXPERIENCE! Now it will only hurt A BIT LESS to use The Wire on my phone.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 7:34 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Why the name change? RuneWire is a perfect name I think. I think it sounds much better than The Wire.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 7:39 am 
Steel Member

RS Name: YakHunta
Clan Name: 4 Str 4 Stam LB
Ranging God wrote:
Why the name change? RuneWire is a perfect name I think. I think it sounds much better than The Wire.

Woah, almost didn't use the quote button there! I agree though, I'm going to miss the good ol' RuneWire logo that I'm so used to seeing :(. I'm also going to miss the Events tool, I thought it was easy to use, it just needed a big giant edit button most of the time :P. I'm surprised there's no Facebook, Twitter, or Google sign-in option coming, but it sort of makes sense.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:01 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
I don't know about the name change... "The Wire" sounds like an old newspaper when telegrams first came out. That isn't what runewire is...
Runewire just has a zing to it.

Everthing else sounds wonderful though and are welcome additions.

Question: Will there be new URL?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:01 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:51 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
I like the sound of runewire a lot better than the wire. That is all.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 4:16 pm 
Site Owner

Old URLs will be forwarded, you won't notice anything in that regards.

As for the name change that has to happen because there's something out there going by a somewhat similar name that isn't all that legal. We want to avoid any confusion between that and our service.

As for events, just post in the community events forum. We will add any event posted there that has all the proper data.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 4:36 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Ice Blk Drgn
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: MaSoRs
Sounds cool.

@Shane: I'm assuming you're referring to that thing at .org?

New logo, then? That'll be nice to see.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 4:39 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
Shane wrote:

As for the name change that has to happen because there's something out there going by a somewhat similar name that isn't all that legal. We want to avoid any confusion between that and our service.

As for events, just post in the community events forum. We will add any event posted there that has all the proper data.

Why should we have to change our name just because some private server came along and took --------.org Contact Jagex and tell them to take that website down and to actually do something for once because they don't seem to do anything about the bots >.>

And since we are an official fansite they should actually do something about it.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 4:46 pm 
Site Owner

bonsai99 wrote:
Shane wrote:

Why should we have to change our name just because some private server came along and took --------.org Contact Jagex and tell them to take that website down and to actually do something for once because they don't seem to do anything about the bots >.>

That's exactly why we have to change it. There's not a high likelyhood in getting Jagex to take down that website. Regardless even if we didn't have the issue of the illegal website we would still need to stop using runewire.com because of how the unified accounts work.

The name change is really the least significant thing. Everything else will behave in the same manner, you won't even notice the difference.

For all of your concerned about the URL stop panicking. There are bigger things to panic about and bigger things to be excited about.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 8:13 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Bigger things to panic about: RuneWire will now be subscription based, basic starting at $4.99 a month. Lol I'm just joking, I don't know.

Anyways about that private server thingy, Jagex definitely wouldn't take the legal efforts to have it taken down which will probably be in vain if they did. Especially if a FANSITE asked THEM a favour? Good luck on that one. XD More likely that they would take action to get RSBANDB RuneWire to change their name and then mute everyone for saying RuneWire in clan chat (I wonder how long that private server existed and if that's why everyone was getting muted for saying RuneWire in clan chat in 2008 -_-).

I agree I don't like "The Wire" but it's better than giving that other site views I guess. I am interested to see the changies though

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 9:44 pm 
Runite Member

RS Status: Classic
this is actually *twitches* where i *twitches* agree with shane on "the more things change the more they stay the *twitch* same"

i said it! *goes to a psych to get the twitch checked out*

ill always call it runewire ^.^ no matter how much it changes ;)

oh and cant wait to see the changes other than the name

PostPosted: June 1st, 2011, 12:58 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: Zilla Pk
Clan Name: Knights Of Honour
I'm excited. :D Never really used the forums all that much, so integrating them will definitely allow people to use them both actively. :)

Steel Member Since 10.05.11

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 3:02 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bryan Tran
Clan Name: W22 Farming
Bryan will be automatic dragon member pl0x?