Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Concept modelling: Orbs of Oculi
PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 11:59 pm 
Iron Member

RS Name: Grquartzds
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: Party Pete's People
When I was looking at the Orb of Oculus article at Runewiki, I saw this piece of concept art made by Jagex:
I was already at the article to make a 3D model of the in-game Orb of Oculus, so it occured to me, why not try modeling Jagex's concept arts as well? So I did. But I didn't stop there...
I made 8 orbs of oculi. One's based on the in-game one, two are based on Jagex's concept arts, and the other five are inspired from another game (try and guess what :p).

Anyways, each orb has a name. The first, of course, is just a normal Orb of Oculus. The second is a Gazing Stone. The third is the Eye of Malediction (which makes reference to what inspired the design). The fourth is Sphaera Vigiliarum (Latin for Sphere of Viewing/Vigilance). The fifth (first on the bottom row) is a Scrying Orb (Jagex's original name for the Orb of Oculus on the concept art sheet). The sixth is a Box of Viewing. The seventh is a Sphere of Sight. Finally, the eight is called the Depths of Vision (again, vaguely referencing my inspiration for it).

Here are Grand Exchange Database and inventory sprites of all of them:

Here's a front view:
The spoiler has side, back, top, and angled views:
Spoiler for 1:

Now, all of those images were orthogonal (no perspective). So here are a few views with perspective:
Spoiler for 1:

Also, here's a large version of the item versions (yes, they are somewhat different models. Mainly I made them lower detail):

Also, here's a shot to give you a small idea of the detail in some of the models:

Finally, I made an animated GIF of my favorite one. I plan on rendering a video and showing all eight like this soon.

Honestly, I know most don't seem RuneScapish. At any rate, the Eye of Malediction and Depths of Vision (the blue and red ones) definitely aren't possible with RS's current graphics (well, maybe they could do something similar to what I did if they used particles... I didn't use particles for the glow effect; I used UV-mapped texture masks, which Jagex has said can't really be done yet). But I don't think they're too unrealistic - maybe some have a higher-than-normal polygon count, but they'd otherwise be possible (if we're not talking about textures, then all of them are possible :P). As far as RuneScapish-ness, the one I'm most satisfied with is the second one (Stone of Gazing). But the one I like best visually is the Eye of Malediction (blue one).

Feel free to give me CC, tell me which ones you like/hate, and which ones you can imagine in-game :P

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 11:59 pm 
Iron Member

Post subject: Re: Concept modelling: Orbs of Oculi
PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 8:59 am 

RS Name: j1j2j3
RS Status: P2P
that's really cool. all look very nice. very well made.

9/10

PostPosted: April 9th, 2011, 10:56 am 
Steel Member

RS Name: YakHunta
Clan Name: 4 Str 4 Stam LB
Amazing! The art of faking sounds like a great one ;).

PostPosted: April 10th, 2011, 5:08 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Well done :o

The animated gif isn't loading for me, but it does if I load it in a new tab. Regardless, here it is using a different host.

They're all well done, but my favorites are the lower right and lower left. Lower left reminds me quite a bit of Kick-Ass.