Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: External Hard Drive Requiring Format
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 9:09 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bryan Tran
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: W22 Farming
Let’s start with a bit of what’s happened over the last few days, if you don’t wanna read THAT, skip to below.

[spoiler=another of bryan's epic stories]
Ok, so there was this big Flash Player exploit that my mom fell into. And what she fell for was bad, bad, bad. Ever go around the internet and see those ads where they trick you into pretending that they’re scanning your computer, and you have to click here to solve? Well, my mom knew better than that, what she didn’t know enough was was the english involved in it. All these “ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CLOSE THIS TAB, CLICK CANCEL TO RETURN...” really confused her and she ended up installing some rogue malware. Which really sucked. It disabled Microsoft Security Essentials, Action Center, all the browsers, and constantly monitored Windows Explorer, which was frightfully concerning. So I googled (from my phone) how to disable it. Apparently, there’s this license key that the creator of the program had in case of a failsafe, which put the program at bay and stopped all the annoying messages that your computer was at risk and all that ****. So we were safe, as long as my mom didn’t enter any passwords or credit cards, everything was cool. EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT MSE WAS STILL DISABLED AND ANOTHER ROGUE PROGRAM WAS INSTALLED. So I was like to my mom,
“**** THIS.”

And we went and bought an external hard drive and backed everything up. I called in Process Tamer, because every time we were transferring files, the malicious process popped up for every file, so I set it to instantly kill the process whenever it came up. Then we did a hard reset. Boom. Everything was gone. First thing I did was install MSE and scanned the whole hard drive. It would have sucked to lose everything if they viruses attached itself onto it. But I had to do that with my new computer. Why? FIND OUT WHEN THE PEOPLE WHO WERE TOO LAZY TO READ THAT LAST CRAP JOIN US.
[/spoiler]

Ok, welcome. I gots meself a problem. So whenever I plug in my external hard drive to restore all the files I backed up from before my hard reset, I get an error message saying I have to format the drive. WHY?! That’s *******! It worked fine before the reset, why does it need to format? I have nowhere I can put the files temporarily (no way in hell I’m backing up gigabytes of data online), so I am completely stumped as to what I should do. Is there any way to get around this? Any help would be appreciated.

Btw, being a cheap Asian, does a refund policy allow returns of external hard drives? BB and FS sites are down FML.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 9:09 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: External Hard Drive Requiring Format
PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 6:55 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
It's possible that the filesystem on the external got corrupted somehow... Could be a dud drive, or just bad luck.

I'd consider trying something like NTFS Recovery to see if you can recover the filesystem (I ASSUME it's ntfs, though whatever it was you'll want to use something that can read the filesystem (guessing ntfs, could be fat32)

Seeing as how you can't back up the drive easily, just be cautious.