Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Runescape connection problem
PostPosted: December 11th, 2010, 11:05 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: Undew0rld
RS Status: P2P
Hi everybody,

I don't know if somebody might be able to help me on this one but my runescape started recently to lag. At first i thought it could be my router or anything so i unplugged it, resetted it and even resetted the modem. Nothing changed. I've search for viruses desinstall windows firewall ( cause we all know windows can be annoying lol ). I've also ask a mod about the problem and he said there was some port i could use to make the game more smoothly with my router.

Here's the spec of my computer, i know my computer can handle the game super easily;

Intel Core I5 3.33GHz dualcore
4Gig of RAM
Windows 7 64bits
Using Internet explorer v8
Internet Connection: ISP: Vidéotron Canada, TGV30, 30MB/S
Also updated to the last version of Java not long ago.
Also router is a cisco e1000

Looking forward to maybe have some help :)
Thank you.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 11th, 2010, 11:05 pm 
Bronze Member

Post subject: Re: Runescape connection problem
PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 12:44 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Southrend
RS Status: Classic
Your computer should be able to run it very smoothly. You could check if your computer is busy with something else. If you open taskmanager ([ctrl]+[shift]+[esc]) is there something on the Processes tab that uses a lot of CPU?

Proud RSB&B Member #570 since 12/27/04
Proud RSB&B Mod since 7/24/05

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 1:01 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Welcome to RSBandB :)

You say you installed a new version of java recently. Was that when the problem started, or was it before that?

In any case, you should try Jagex's official Runescape client that is available on their downloads page if you haven't already. It comes with it's own version of java bundled (openjdk) and wont use your system java.

You don't need a port open on your firewall or router to run RuneScape.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 9:36 am 
Bronze Member

Thanks for the welcome! :)

The lag was there before the last update of Java, i updated it and on the spot it stopped lagging. So i thought i got rid of the problem finally! but nope :( I tried downloading the client you gave me but even with that it still lag a bit :(

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 11:47 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
What kind of lag are you experiencing?

A) Graphical - Low frame rates, animations are slow, screen rotates slowly if you want to move around

B) Connection related - Everyone moves about in bursts, nobody usually just walks around. This would be exaggerated if you were somewhere heavily populated such as the Grand Exchange. Alternatively, during a combat situation, the hits will be in bursts. Nothing, then 3 hits, then nothing, etc.

Graphical would be something on your computer natively. Likely turning down the graphics settings, or closing out of programs that would be using your GPU (any video, other games, etc) and updating your graphics card drivers would help.

Connection is a whole other issue, and I'd like to eliminate the graphical before delving into connection based.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 12:19 pm 
Bronze Member

It's pretty much i click somwhere and it take some time before reacting, or i click to reaction and then everybody start moving fast. Graphics are really good, they are at maximum right now ( i can run Starcraft 2 at ultra without any problem ). So it would be something related to internet ( i think so ). I've pretty much done any search i could with it to fix it but without any success. Also it seems like my internet in general is working really good, it's only when it comes to playing on Runescape that it's lagging.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 12:19 pm 
Bronze Member

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 1:47 pm 

Yeah, it does sound like a connection based issue (slow reactions, people moving quickly)

Are you on a wifi or wired connection?

Also, try running a test at pingtest.net and post the results here.

And lastly, are you downloading/uploading anything else in the background, or is anyone sharing your connection downloading/uploading on their devices at the same time? I'd think it would take quite a bit to make a difference, but still doesn't hurt to ask.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 2:27 pm 
Bronze Member

I'm wired to the router, two computer are connected to it actually. No downloads are streaming in the background. Here's the picture of my ping test i know it's a bit hard to see. Packet lost wasn't calculated in the picture but i've retaken it and it says 0% for packet loss.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 4:36 pm 

*copy forum link* => paste here ;)

Looking like it has good latency as well as jitter, though it's interesting that it's unable to test packet loss. That could be the issue if you're losing packets along the way. Do you play any FPS games, or something that would require instant updates from a server? It'd be interesting to see if this happens in those as well.

Also, have you tried using a server closer to you for RuneScape? Or at least several different worlds?

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 4:43 pm 
Bronze Member

Yeah the packet loss couldn't appear first time because i desinstalled java to see if it would do a difference but it didn't so reinstalled it and redid the ping test and hitted the 0% packet loss. Also nope i'm not playing any FPS, used to play some Combat Arms but i don't recall having any problems with my connection.

I've also tried changing world yeah, i used to always play in world 132 without any problems, when it started lagging i tried to maybe change to a canadian server since i'm from canada to maybe reduce lag, so i switch to 157. Still no it's still lagging.

This problem is starting to drive me nuts but thanks on trying to solve it tho :)

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 8:04 pm 

Try sorting worlds by latency, see if there is something that is lower than your usual. Also, I forgot to ask, is this issue occurring everywhere you go, or just in high traffic areas such as the GE?

Other things to try -

- Reboot your router (unplug, wait 30+ seconds, plug back in.)

- Reboot the computer if it hasn't been in a very long time (sometimes this helps, though I'm guessing it won't)

- Try a different port on the router. Doubtful that this will help, but worth a shot.

I'd say try plugging directly into your modem vs the router, but generally that's not the best idea due to not having any hardware firewall (your router) to protect you. On the off chance you want to try, this could eliminate your router as the problem.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 8:33 pm 
Bronze Member

Nah the lag is happening everywhere in runescape, it's worst in GE for sure tho :P

Tried rebooting the router and waiting the 30+seconds, rebooted the computer and everything but it still lags.

I'v tried to open a port in my router, ask a moderator if there was any port i could use to maybe get the game to play more smoothly but i can't figure if my router is able to do that.

Can't plug the modem right in my computer cause there's 2 computer that needs internet so i got to have a router.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 9:36 pm 

For ports, some googling / general looking around got me
Quote:
43594 and 43595 (for TCP traffic, both Inbound and Outbound)

So open these on both your software firewall (windows firewall) as well as your router. Never have had to do this personally, but if it helps with your issue, then it'd be worth it I suppose.

If you can get a chance to unplug the other computer temporarily while you check to see if the router is the issue, you might as well. If it ends up being the router's problem, then this could get a lot more interesting. Seeing as though this issue has cropped up more recently though I'm guessing this isn't likely the case.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 10:02 pm 
Bronze Member

I'm trying to open them in my router but i can't get to make it save.
Everytime i open them and come to save it says, information saved successfully but then it comes back to the original information of nothing.:(
Any advice? it's a cisco e1000 Linskys.