Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need Help! Urgent!
PostPosted: May 7th, 2010, 4:21 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Skoolboyy
RS Status: P2P
So ive had this computer for awhile, and its running windows xp home edition, its been starting to go a bit slow, so i decided to restore it. When i tried to plug in the activation key after restoration the key wont work, it says its invalid or whatever.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 7th, 2010, 4:21 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: Need Help! Urgent!
PostPosted: May 7th, 2010, 4:47 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Call Microsoft, they will give you a new key

PostPosted: May 7th, 2010, 5:16 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
Providing you used the correct disk since it's not working, you should call Microsoft.

If you used the wrong disk (not restore) try using any different XP keys you may have lying around.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2010, 8:02 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: d4fin0
Clan Name: blurblue
schoolboy wrote:
So ive had this computer for awhile, and its running windows xp home edition, its been starting to go a bit slow, so i decided to restore it. When i tried to plug in the activation key after restoration the key wont work, it says its invalid or whatever.

When you say "restore", do you mean system restore (restoring to another date) or formatting the whole computer?

Anyway.....

Both my laptop and my desktop run slow occasionally, I use a handy little program package called Uniblue Powersuite 2010 to keep them running efficiently. The package has three programs that help your pc run faster. The first one (registry booster) helps clean corrupt registry values and can repair, the other one (Speed Up MY PC), gets rid of internet cache and other unused temporary junk files that take up resources, and the other one updates out-of-date drivers.

If your computer is running slow, it could be a virus, too many applications open at the same time, temporary internet files that haven't been deleted, or even some of the things mentioned above. Just remember, before you restore a computer because you think it's running slow, do everything you possibly can to improve the speed Before you restore. If all else fails, then restore.

Also, getting more RAM in your computer might be a good idea (32-bit windows can only support up to 4gb).

Edit: If your having activation key trouble, Call microsoft tech support :wink:

Cheers, dafin0 :lol:

PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 6:25 am 
Dragon Member

RS Status: Classic
The reason why it's not working is because the key he's using is OEM but the Windows he installed after reformatting, isn't the default Windows that came with the Laptop. - Thanks Mag :wink:
I think the only solution (legally), is to buy a new key.

Either way, contact microsoft.

dafin0 wrote:
Both my laptop and my desktop run slow occasionally, I use a handy little program package called Uniblue Powersuite 2010 to keep them running efficiently. The package has three programs that help your pc run faster. The first one (registry booster) helps clean corrupt registry values and can repair, the other one (Speed Up MY PC), gets rid of internet cache and other unused temporary junk files that take up resources, and the other one updates out-of-date drivers.

You should be careful with those "suites". They seem to help but they just slow you down. CCleaner is enough to clean up. Registry cleaners may only bring problems in the future. Try to clean the registry once every 3-6 months if you really need to clean it. When updating drivers, do it manually, and only if hardware configuration isn't working properly (except graphic card drivers, these should be updated when a new version is released).

PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 11:12 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: d4fin0
Clan Name: blurblue
Alex_SE wrote:
The reason why it's not working is because the key he's using is OEM but the Windows he installed after reformatting, isn't the default Windows that came with the Laptop. - Thanks Mag :wink:
I think the only solution (legally), is to buy a new key.

Either way, contact microsoft.

dafin0 wrote:

You should be careful with those "suites". They seem to help but they just slow you down. CCleaner is enough to clean up. Registry cleaners may only bring problems in the future. Try to clean the registry once every 3-6 months if you really need to clean it. When updating drivers, do it manually, and only if hardware configuration isn't working properly (except graphic card drivers, these should be updated when a new version is released).

I have it on autopilot so that it always scans for errors weekly. In that case, since it "does" reduce reduce my performance and speed, i use my memory sticks.

And it's full licensed software, so im okay.

Cheers, dafin0 :lol:

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 11:12 pm 
Runite Member