Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Something is failing but I don't know what
PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 2:41 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: lKiwi
RS Status: Classic
So before I went on vacation my computer just shut itself off and would not turn on. After about two hours on the phone with HP and Nvidia, the two customer support agents came to similar conclusions.

HP:
Inadequate power supply, the graphics card tried to use too much power and that is the reason the computer will not boot with the graphics card inserted, and will only boot with the monitor connected to the onboard graphics card.
Solution- Needs a better power supply, OEM power supply is only 300W and 450W+ is recommended.

Nvidia:
Inadequate power supply, the graphics card tried to use too much power and that is the reason the computer will not boot with the graphics card inserted, and will only boot with the monitor connected to the onboard graphics card.
Solution- Needs a better power supply, OEM power supply is only 300W and 450W+ is recommended.

Graphics card short circuited
Solution- Repair the graphics card (would be the second time Ive had to send the card off and replace it in less than two months).

Failing PCI Express port
Solution- Unlikely but the entire motherboard may need to be replaced. (I'm really hoping that isn't the problem)

If anyone has some input about the issue I would really appreciate it before I go and spend money to fix something that isn't broken I would appreciate it.

I have a feeling that lack of wattage on the power supply is likely.

Computer specifications
Graphics card

Possible power supply replacements (if you have a better recommendation feel free to suggest one):
BFG - 550-Watt ATX Modular Power Supply
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V

I would prefer to be able to buy the power supply at Best Buy but if they don't carry it I'll buy it else where.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 2:41 pm 
Dragon Member

Post subject: Re: Something is failing but I don't know what
PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 3:13 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
RS Status: P2P
On a desktop computer, the first thing that is most likely to fail is the power supply. If your computer doesn't do anything at all (dry fire on the power button), then it's definitely the power supply.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 3:14 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
If the problem seems to fix itself while using the onboard graphics card, then it's likely the dedicated graphics card, or the power supply. If you've got a good graphics card + processor, you could easily be drawing too much power from your current supply. It'd be a very easy and relatively cheap upgrade, and considering both companies suggested that was the issue I would be amiss if I didn't give it a thought.

This being said, have you tried the graphics card on a different desktop (with an appropriate power supply)? This could help eliminate any motherboard issues / problems with the graphics card.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 6:44 pm 
Dragon Member

Pfkninenines wrote:
This being said, have you tried the graphics card on a different desktop (with an appropriate power supply)? This could help eliminate any motherboard issues / problems with the graphics card.

I don't have another desktop to test it on. I did check the specs on my graphics card though, and the minimum wattage required is 300W. Since I have 300W now, anything extra I'm using such as my external harddrive and USB headphones could draw extra power limiting what the graphics card can get.

I think I'm going to buy a new power supply tomorrow and see what happens. If the graphics card is the problem I'm going to be complaining quite a bit on the phone as the card is 3 months old and had to be repaired already.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 2:15 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bonsai99
RS Status: Retired
My grandmother had this problem once and the graphics card short circuted so that is most likely the problem,don't bother wasting your money on a new power supply.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 2:57 pm 

Al3X wrote:
I don't have another desktop to test it on. I did check the specs on my graphics card though, and the minimum wattage required is 300W. Since I have 300W now, anything extra I'm using such as my external harddrive and USB headphones could draw extra power limiting what the graphics card can get.

I think I'm going to buy a new power supply tomorrow and see what happens. If the graphics card is the problem I'm going to be complaining quite a bit on the phone as the card is 3 months old and had to be repaired already.

Sounds like that would be the culprit. If nothing else, you won't have to worry about something similar to this happening in the future. You should have more than enough reserve power through the supply that you won't have any doubt that the power supply won't be the issue.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 2:57 pm 

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 3:38 pm 
Dragon Member

bonsai99 wrote:
My grandmother had this problem once and the graphics card short circuted so that is most likely the problem,don't bother wasting your money on a new power supply.

If the card is the issue Nvidia will fix it, and I'm going to try to complain my way to free stuff, it worked with Microsoft when i needed multiple repairs in a short time period.

I was planning on buying a new power supply anyway so it's just being done sooner this way.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 8:46 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
Like everyone has said so far, this is almost certainly a failed or inadequate power supply. If when you try to turn on you get some sort of beeps (or anything on the screen), it's probably an inadequate power supply (in this case it'd be the GPU you've added). If you don't get ANYTHING at all- no beeps, nothing on the screen, no lights- then the power supply has failed.

It's also worth noting that, although unlikely, it could be a failure of another component- motherboard, CPU- it could be anything. In any case, you should still get lights and beeping, but probably nothing on the screen. However, as I said, this is extremely unlikely- the PSU is by far the most likely part to fail in your PC.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 6:29 pm 
Dragon Member

aquw 776 wrote:
Like everyone has said so far, this is almost certainly a failed or inadequate power supply. If when you try to turn on you get some sort of beeps (or anything on the screen), it's probably an inadequate power supply (in this case it'd be the GPU you've added). If you don't get ANYTHING at all- no beeps, nothing on the screen, no lights- then the power supply has failed.

It's also worth noting that, although unlikely, it could be a failure of another component- motherboard, CPU- it could be anything. In any case, you should still get lights and beeping, but probably nothing on the screen. However, as I said, this is extremely unlikely- the PSU is by far the most likely part to fail in your PC.

Well after replacing my old 300W with a 550W, my computer still won't boot after putting in the graphics card, but boots fine without it. BFG wants me to send them the graphics card, again. I think I may try to sell the card to someone and get a better/more reliable one if it breaks again after being repaired.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 8:13 pm 

Can't believe the horrible luck :s.

I'll go ahead and lock the thread, as I think we've all determined that at this point it's the graphics card. Shoot me a PM if you want it unlocked.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 2:17 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
You've either got a faulty or an incompatible GPU then. Either way you need to get it sorted.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2010, 4:52 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Chief. Snake
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Ah that is bad luck. Like the others my first recommendation would've also been replacing the PSU. 300W is quite low nowadays and for any computer that you want to play games on you're probably looking at something like 400W minimum. I wouldn't get rid of it now that you've got it (if you had that option) as the new one will still be beneficial to you in future for sure. Good luck getting your graphics card repaired/replaced/whatever they want to do with it!