Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: laptop temps
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 3:31 pm 
Steel Member

RS Name: u s a c l
RS Status: F2P
i have a dell d600, 1.4ghz, 512mbs ram. the processor runs fairly cool, my problem is the paint on the cover for the ram is pealing because it gets so hot. it got so hot my bios actually shut down the computer the other day. my question: is there any tricks that would help this situation?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 3:31 pm 
Steel Member

Post subject: Re: laptop temps
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 3:57 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Are you sure it is running cool? If you're on Windows, try a program like SpeedFan to check the temperature of any sensors your computer may have. You may be able to up the fan speeds as well, depending on compatibility with your hardware.

If your laptop remains cool, it's odd that you say the RAM is getting hot. If the RAM is in a totally different area than other areas of the computer with a fan, there probably isn't too much you can do. But considering this is probably a new issue to an old computer, I'm guessing something changed.

At this point, it's probably not a bad idea to open the covers and clean out any gunk you can. There may be obstructions in the fan that are causing poor airflow, or a general buildup of dust. Considering the laptop came out in 2003, you could have up to 6 years of buildup inside of the case. I'd really consider cleaning it, even if you weren't having problems.

If cleaning doesn't fix the problem, and the fan is still working, you may want buy a laptop stand, and/or make sure you are using it on a flat surface that provides good airflow. I know how the older Dell laptops vent all of the air either out the bottom, or in through the bottom. Horrible, if you're using it on a couch or something else that doesn't provide good airflow.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 4:05 pm 
Steel Member

the fan pulls air from the bottom and pushes it out the back. the area where the ram is located is the only hot part. the hard drive isnt as hot. ill try that program and post back

edit: it seems to only monitor the processor and the hd. it says hd is at 46c and "temp" is at 30c

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 6:15 pm 

RS Name: King Kulla
You could always get a cooling pad/fan. I've got one, and it works wonders on my laptop in the summertime when it gets hotter, though it might be useful for you as well. :wink:

PostPosted: December 4th, 2009, 8:22 am 
Steel Member

kk thanks for the help