Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: graphics card/mother board question
PostPosted: November 30th, 2009, 7:57 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: S0CIAL D
RS Status: P2P
i have a question for you. i recently purchased call of duty modern warfare 2( yeah i know) and after 6 hours of installation i can play the game because my graphics card isnt good enough. (min requirements are shader 3.0, 256 mb nVida, GeForce 6600GT, ATI Radeon 1600XT)
but i was looking around for a new card but someone told me i would need to get a new mother board which would then need me to get a bunch more parts memory ect. so my question is, is there a memory card that will work in my mother board and meets the min requirement for mw2. [pls note my motherboard only has PCI and Agp it doesnt have the newer slot that you could attack graphics cards forgot the name :o)]

thanks for any help you can give

Manufacturer:
MSI
Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory:
1024MB RAM
Hard Drive:
620 GB Total
Video Card:
RADEON 9600 SERIES

Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:
SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [D000]
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Motherboard:PT880 Neo series
Computer Case:

Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 30th, 2009, 7:57 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: graphics card/mother board question
PostPosted: November 30th, 2009, 8:17 pm 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
So here's what I can find on your mobo. http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=249

Has PCI and AGP slots, so you could upgrade the graphics card if you wanted. However, the rest of your stats on are barely scraping bare minimum. With DDR based ram, you're already set back a bit. However, it's cheap and would be easy to upgrade. I'm not sure how the processor will handle MW2, as it requires a minimum of a 3.2ghz P4, though I'm guessing that is a single core processor. I'd make sure that your CPU won't need upgrades as well, if you're determined to play MW2.

I'd run the quick Can You Run It? test to verify everything before you get too much further into upgrades.

As for the graphics card, here are your options on Newegg. PCI AGP

I'd also take a look at your power supply, just to make sure it can handle any extra power you put in the case.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2009, 11:21 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: S0CIAL D
Thanks Paul I can always count on you :)

Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2009, 10:00 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
Paul seems to have done a good job of finding you some cards. But just to chime in- you won't necessarily need a new motherboard if you change your GPU. But you do need to check it's compatible. The biggest hurdle to overcome is the connections, in your case PCI. There are a few other conditions to check for, but there are often less of a problem.

I know that wasn't a solution- just a bit of background info.