Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Runescape Lag - Just slow internet? UPDATE
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2009, 2:26 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: RightNow-EVH
RS Status: P2P
Pfkninenines wrote:
UnpossessedBrawl wrote:
Hey just recent;y when Runescape was lagging alot I opened the task manager. It said CPU usage was at 100% and java was using 50-60 of it. Any ideas?

That's normal. Jagex has made it so that RuneScape looks pretty good now, and to accomplish this they need to make use of your computer's CPU and GPU. You'll be using quite a bit of that processor power if you want to keep playing games that are higher intensity.

I have it on Standard Detail with all of the settings off...and my computer has fairly good specs? 1.73 GHz Dual-Core CPU and 4GB RAM...

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2009, 2:26 pm 
Mithril Member

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2009, 4:15 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Pengu i n
UnpossessedBrawl wrote:
Pfkninenines wrote:
UnpossessedBrawl wrote:
Hey just recent;y when Runescape was lagging alot I opened the task manager. It said CPU usage was at 100% and java was using 50-60 of it. Any ideas?

That's normal. Jagex has made it so that RuneScape looks pretty good now, and to accomplish this they need to make use of your computer's CPU and GPU. You'll be using quite a bit of that processor power if you want to keep playing games that are higher intensity.

I have it on Standard Detail with all of the settings off...and my computer has fairly good specs? 1.73 GHz Dual-Core CPU and 4GB RAM...

Sorry but 1.73GHz isn't fairly good >_>. Runescape doesn't run too well on most laptop/integrated graphics cards, I've found. My old laptop had one and it could barely run SD. I think the issue may lie here. Try downloading the client as it uses less CPU then a full browser, and have no other programs running and see if the problem persists.

Content Crew Oct 26, 2009 - Nov 22, 2012

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2009, 4:29 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
Jay wrote:
UnpossessedBrawl wrote:
Pfkninenines wrote:
[*quote="UnpossessedBrawl"]Hey just recent;y when Runescape was lagging alot I opened the task manager. It said CPU usage was at 100% and java was using 50-60 of it. Any ideas?

Sorry but 1.73GHz isn't fairly good >_>. Runescape doesn't run too well on most laptop/integrated graphics cards, I've found. My old laptop had one and it could barely run SD. I think the issue may lie here. Try downloading the client as it uses less CPU then a full browser, and have no other programs running and see if the problem persists.[/quote]

I'm running runescape on a 1.2GHz and it runs ok.
A little bit of lag, but bearable.

Post subject: Re: Runescape Lag - Just slow internet?
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 9:38 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
Well for whatever it's worth, you can turn down the CPU settings now.

But considering the hardware issues are secondary, I still think the main problem is with your connection.

The client is just an application that runs whatever version of Internet Explorer you have in it's own window without any other buttons. I'd use Chrome or Chromium then use the Application Shortcut to perform the same action. Either way, I don't expect this to provide a huge performance boost.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 4:38 pm 
Mithril Member

So if it is my connection how would I fix it?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 8:43 pm 

Unfortunately, connections are fairly complex. Any part of the network could be causing the issue, anything from your service plan, to your wireless card in your laptop, to the router, to just not being in good range of the router. Hell, it could even be that if you're between a few walls or electronic devices, that if something turns on, there would be enough interference between your computer and the router to cause intermittent problems. This wouldn't be noticed in short tests; only over a longer test that could be looked at broadly.

I'm guessing you have a decent connection to your router, though I don't think I had you run a speed test. Your ping suits something that is some type of broadband, and I'm guessing bandwidth isn't an issue.

If you have a router with antennas that protrude from the housing, you could try something like the Wind Surfer to direct the signal to where you are usually using your computer. This would probably help a bit if interference of any kind was a problem, and it's extremely cheap and easy to do.

I know I haven't said this before, but I've got pretty much the same specs as you on my laptop, though I'm running Windows 7. More than enough to handle RuneScape. There shouldn't be a need to do anything to Java unless you've really got a massive amount of junk running in the background that is taking a higher priority.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 8:43 pm 

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 10:11 pm 
Mithril Member

Again thanks for the help.
Speed Test:

As for the wind surfer, I will try to work on that tomorrow. It might help.
And regarding the massive amount of junk... I do not download many programs offline...and I know how to disable services and programs that boot on startup, etc. So I don't think that is an issue.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2009, 7:56 am 

The speed isn't overwhelming, but if you're on RuneScape it isn't a problem at all. I could see it becoming a problem if you had enough services (antivirus updating, something else that periodically checks for something online) that would occasionally do something to cause momentary bouts of lag, but nothing that should last 5 minutes or thereabouts. This would apply to anything on the network, not necessarily originating from your computer. But again, the chances that his lasts for an extended period of time is not very likely.

Good luck with the Wind Surfer :)

PostPosted: December 6th, 2009, 2:26 pm 
Mithril Member

Made the windsurfer. I normally get 2 bars off of my wireless signal, now I get 4. Internet is significantly faster. Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2009, 5:49 pm 

:D Glad to hear it.

Locking, as I take it that the problem is solved. Let me know if I assumed incorrectly.