Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: ipod + computer problem
PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 10:11 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: S0CIAL D
RS Status: P2P
my iPod runs fine.
my computer generally runs fine but it shuts off and freezes randomly sometimes when i play fps games that need a good graphics card

so here my problem, whenever i connect my ipod to my computer (OS XP) it ALWAYS freezes the computer and it never comes back forcing me to turn the computer power off, recently my ipod went into recovery mode because while updated the software on it the computer froze. so now i have nothing on my ipod and i cant get anything on it because it will freeze before it has time to sync. i am 80% sure it is the computers fault, my brother who has an ipod touch also uses my computer and it does the same for him.

(ps - please dont say it was because i jailbroke it because it has done this ever sense i have had my ipod and even when the jailbreak os off it if because of recovery it still does it)

greatly appreciated

Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 10:11 pm 
Runite Member

Post subject: Re: ipod + computer problem
PostPosted: September 14th, 2009, 6:52 am 

RS Name: Silverwiz9
Clan Name: RsbandbStaff
From your FPS game issue, it might be that your computer is overheating, but usually you would see a message that said something to that effect.

The iPod issue could be stemming from the same problem, though it wouldn't be from overheating. Your hard drive could be trying to access specific files for iTunes and/or drivers for your iPod, and is having trouble finding them. It would just continue trying to read where the file was supposed to be, and essentially freeze the computer while trying to complete the action.

If you can, run a Chkdsk on the drive. Sworder was helping someone else in a different topic, and his response for Chkdsk can be found at that thread.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 4:35 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
Does your computer freeze as soon as you connect the iPod, before you even do anything with it? If so, it could be one of several
things. Firstly, as previously mentioned, there could be a problem when your computer tries to access certain drivers or other files. Secondly, it could be a power issue. As I'm sure you know, USB not only transfers data, but also power. If your computer's power supply is unable to provide the power to run the iPod, freezing a sort of way of preventing itself from being damaged. Thirdly, there may be a problem with the USB port on your PC- kind a short-circuiting maybe.

You need to try plugging into another computer. If there are no problems here, you can be sure the computer is the issue, and obviously if the same thing happens, it's the iPod that's the problem. At this point, I'm assuming that the iPod is NOT the issue, but instead there's some sort of problem with your computer.

When your computer freezes, what happens if you unplug the iPod. Does everything return to normal, or does the freeze continue. Also, does the computer ever crash to the blue or black screen. If so, what information does it give you as to the source of the problem?

To eliminate a software- i.e. OS or driver/file accessing issue, try re-installing any driver software that came with the iPod. If there is none or this doesn't work, a more drastic solution maybe to reinstall the OS. If this is likely, do you have the facilities to install a second OS onto your PC to save having to back up?

Once you have eliminated software issues, the final part is hardware. If the problem is an inadequate power supply in the computer, short of replacing it (which is expensive), there isn't too much you can do. However, an inexpensive and easy solution maybe to replace your USB ports. If you're using USB ports on the motherboard, try installing a PCI USB host controller, which basically adds new USB ports your your computer. These aren't expensive- about £10 or $16- and they're easy to install so long as your computer has a spare PCI slot.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2009, 7:08 pm 
Runite Member

You asked a lot of questions I will try and hit most of them

once my iPod is pulled off of the USB cable the computer doesn't crash

when the computer freezes it shows the screen I was on. If you look at my iPod it shows it's not being charged so the computer like turns off somewhat

and if it crashes I would say the time varies a lot from right away before I can even launch iTunes to about 30 minutes max

Odontoceti think it's the USBs fault because I have never experienced any problems

Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 6:42 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Waffle 350 wrote:
You asked a lot of questions I will try and hit most of them

once my iPod is pulled off of the USB cable the computer doesn't crash

when the computer freezes it shows the screen I was on. If you look at my iPod it shows it's not being charged so the computer like turns off somewhat

and if it crashes I would say the time varies a lot from right away before I can even launch iTunes to about 30 minutes max

Odontoceti think it's the USBs fault because I have never experienced any problems

Before going on to the part below, you must know whether the same happens on other computers. If all is okay on another computer, the problem is not the iPod.

For now, I'm going to assume that you have done this, and everything was okay with another computer, but if this is NOT the case, please say so (and ignore everything below this).

----------

Okay, so just to confirm and make sure I understood right, you're saying that:

1) unplugging the iPod once your computer has frozen does not "unfreeze" it, but it also does not crash to a blue or black screen

2) the time between plugging the iPod in to when the computer freezes varies

If this is the case, I think it's reasonable to discount software issues as the same files would be accessed in the same order as every time your plug the iPod in. The fact that the time to freeze varies suggests to me a hardware issue, which means that the problem could be USB related.

Firstly, try plugging the iPod into a different port. Also, when you look at the back of your computer, if the USB port(s) you're using right near the ports for keyboard, mouse, monitor and power etc? If so, do you have USB ports anywhere else on your computer? Some computers have them on the front or side, so if you have any of these, try here instead. Plus, going back to the rear of the computer, do you have USB ports separate to the monitor, keyboard, etc. ports? Again, if you do, try these instead.

Once you've tried each USB port on your computer in turn and still your computer freezes with all of them, I would put money on these being a power supply issue. The fact that your iPod says it's no longer charging backs up this theory. Going down this route, is there anything else plugged into your computer via USB? Also, do you know what wattage your power supply is?

PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 11:24 pm 
Runite Member

You are correct about 1 and 2
I have tried using diff ports and diff cords but it still freezes
all my ports are all generally in thr same spot in the back and only other things plugged into USB is wireless mouse and keyboard

So If the USB is the problem is there amyway to know forsure before I fix that and how much do you think it would cost ?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 11:24 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 9:27 am 
Rsbandb Donor

I don't know FOR SURE there's a USB problem, but because these are the only ports you have, I can't discount it either. The problem could still be a power issue, although this would be less likely than a USB problem.

If I were you I'd buy a USB host controller, which basically plugs into the inside of your computer and gives you 3 or 4 more USB ports. If you look here (http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en& ... ler&spell=1&oi=spell), you'll see they're all around the £10 ($16) mark. You'll also see on that page that the first few have 2 ports, but further down there's a 5-port one for the same price.

However, these are all PCI ports, so you'll need to make sure you have a free one inside your computer. If you don't know if you have one, open up your PC and check. If you need more help, i.e. what they are, etc., post back.