Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problems IRL? PLEASE READ THIS!!!
PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 11:28 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
I cried today. :(

I am a man who does not openly cry very often. I feel compelled to explain to you why I cried, and share with you what is on my heart in response to the horrific tragedy that happened in Newtown, Conn. on Friday, December 14th, 2012.

Questions… so many questions; most of which I probably will never get answers to.
Why did this happen?
What was going on in that teenage boy’s life that was responsible for this?
Did anything happen in perhaps his virtual online life that contributed to what he was feeling?
Was he a gamer?
Was he immersed in an online world of a first person shooting game like Call of Duty, desensitising him to the sanctity of human life?
Was he involved in any other online multiplayer games, interacting with other players?
Did he have any friends, or family, or people in real life that he could have interacted with and gotten the help he needed?

It is said that every interaction you have with another person, has the potential to affect your life. That includes interactions you have with other people in MMO games. Remember, there is a real human being at the other end of the mouse and keyboard, behind that in-game character. I firmly believe that many of those people are good people. We are there with you in-game playing along. We are also there FOR you if you need any help, in-game or IRL. Please realize this. This is the truth.

Something else you may not realize is that many players of RuneScape, or other online multiplayer games, are older players… players with many more years of real life experience than you have. We have had our share of real life problems, disappointments, frustrations, rejections, feelings of despair and hopelessness. We feel for you. We’ve been there. You are not alone. Most importantly, we are more than willing to help you by listening, empathising, and imparting upon you our wisdom and advice. All you have to do is reach out and ask. All it takes is a few keystrokes and a click of the mouse.

Remember that immersing yourself into an online game, can feel like an escape from all the problems in real life. But when you log off, real life is still there and you still have to deal with it. However, also remember that within the game, there is a community of players, both young and old. A community made up of real people playing the game. When you interact with us in-game you are also interacting with us in real life. We are a resource for you, in times of trouble.

The whole world is grieving today. Our prayers go out to all of those who have been affected by this. [-o< It affected me, even though I did not know anyone involved. For this, I cried today. :cry:

I wished I could have interacted somehow, perhaps within RuneScape, with that teenage boy to help him with his problems. I wish others could realize that I am here for them as well. For this most of all, I cried today. :(

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 11:28 am 
Chat Moderator

Post subject: Re: Problems IRL? PLEASE READ THIS!!!
PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 12:55 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
All I could think about the other day was the shooting. I couldn't believe that someone could do that :(

I agree with everything you said Dan.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 10:38 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
dano there is nothing to explain because there is no way of explaining what happened. there is no reason or ways to make sense of this tragedy. best way is to just support the families and hope they can can get through this ordeal.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 11:01 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
trekkie wrote:
dano there is nothing to explain because there is no way of explaining what happened. there is no reason or ways to make sense of this tragedy. best way is to just support the families and hope they can can get through this ordeal.

The guy was ******* crazy, and on a lot of meds I am pretty sure. We give that **** out like candy in America. It's a problem.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2012, 12:04 am 

RS Name: j1j2j3
so do guns mr god. so do guns, but lets not go there in this thread.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2012, 6:19 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Uncle Dano
Clan Name: Knights of Honour
If someone is in treatment for a disorder, and on medication, the treatment also calls for counselling. This means talking to someone... getting their feelings out... letting them know that there is help. That's the most important missing piece of the puzzle. I don't think there is a lack of compassion in this world, just a lack of understanding that others care. And, I will say it here, as it is appropriate... there is also a lack of understanding that God cares about them and loves them.

Web: Uncle Dano's RS Wiki | RS Hiscores: Uncle Dano

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 17th, 2012, 6:19 am 
Chat Moderator