Post subject: Re: What Murdered Music?
PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 6:08 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Wolf Solo
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Keepers of Yggdrasil
Lol this are $10 speakers I have hooked up to my laptop. And I'll admit my hearing isn't that well anymore. What I get for working around jet engines :?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 6:08 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 6:17 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Status: Old School (2007)
Yeah I have cheap speaker and earphones too. And my hearing sense isn't good too much, I often ask people to repeat because I can't hear too well when they're talking. But strangely, I still hear sounds nobody hears, I reconize people by their voice rather than their names or faces and such. I guess my hearing sense went down but I keep a lot of sensivity.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 7:32 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
My ears are ridiculously sensitive and any sudden noise will stun me for a good amount of time. All the volume settings are set way low on all my audio equipment and I can still hear things clearly.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 7:50 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Kangas Khan
Clan Name: MaSoRs
I read a couple of days ago that pop songs, while generally speaking are not as insightful or 'intelligent' pieces of music as other genres like to produce, actually stimulate the pleasure region of the brain releasing a ******* of dopamine into your system regardless of whether it fits your personal music taste or not. That's why it's so popular, not because it's good but because the brain likes it.

Therefore in some ways, we all like pop music.

source: A Neural Predictor of Cultural Popularity by Berns and Moore

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 1:34 pm 
Mithril Member

RS Name: Ablazin Scar
Clan Name: Ablazin cc
Quote:
Also remember people like different music. You are comparing mainly Rock/Heavy Metal with Pop. Completely different. If you don't listen to the music, you shouldn't put your opinion on it.

I've listened to it, I just don't like it, most of it is autotuned, and/or it has no meaning. It's usually about a club, dancing, drinking, etc. I used to like it, when I was about 10.
I don't just listen to Rock/Heavy Metal either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5tH7pf8QmY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78IM8BAc9E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw&ob=av2e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMdXOqq3WL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-897p8HQ4 {probably my favorite}

But, I did find a pop song that's just to catchy to not like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRsxpoAc5w

Image[/center]

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 2:21 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
You're still looking to replace rather than compliment. Seems like you want something matching the styles of the old bands you like, rather searching through other genres and even through lesser known and local bands for other things you'd like. Well I guess you are looking to other genres since the mainstream genre has changed in recent decades, but you're just looking to well known popular media and it's not going to satisfy you. I guess if you don't go to the mainstream, you're not going to get $200 per ticket, 100000000000000000000 people concerts, though, if that is something you value in music.

And that comment on Metallica selling all those albums and their tours and longevity, just wait 30 years when one of the artists of today you hate is still going, then you have to apply what you said of Metallica to them ha ha. But yeah that's funny, they sell so much, but they still support(ed?) reprimanding their fans who acquired their music without giving them their due money. Totally about the music there :roll:

Which I'd say again, it's not autotune and stuff raping music, it's money and business.

And on todays songs "*** and partying", what about yesterdays: "***, drugs, and rock and roll" and then before, "wine, women, and song"

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 2:21 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 3:40 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Status: Old School (2007)
Warren wrote:

And that comment on Metallica selling all those albums and their tours and longevity, just wait 30 years when one of the artists of today you hate is still going, then you have to apply what you said of Metallica to them ha ha.

Still? On their first albums only, they created songs that are known to be the very best from Heavy Metal industry. Who the hell doesn't know Master of Puppets for exemple? It is worldwidley known to be a must in metal. Fame isn't all about popularity, it's about how fans see your songs, and Metallica as many others bands I listed have many songs known as references in music industry. And trust me, bands and singers that last 30 years are rare, I'll be impressed if any of modern one achieve that. That is something artists I dislike don't do because they copy 'n' paste the same thing over and over again and people eventually get ***** off about it and stop listening. They might have glory today, but I'm sure it won't last long before everybody forget about them.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 8:46 pm 
Dragon Member

Location: USA, making other people's locations sound nonsensical us
RS Name: BeastZero
What people fail to realize about popular music of today vs. popular music of yesteryear is that all you hear on the radio from the latter category is the good stuff. No radio station could get by playing one-hit wonders all day long. Additionally, these stations often play music that spans at least a decade. I'm sure you could name some mainstream songs throughout the last decade that aren't absolutely awful. A pop station of today has only what's popular right now, and as new songs come out others are replaced. Most of those songs will be abandoned after the artist's fifteen minutes of fame are up. (just think, one day the joke in my avatar will make no sense at all)

If I asked you what year this song was from, what would you say? There are still people making music in the genres that were popular years ago. We live in a time where music can be obtained and shared more easily than ever before. Rather than spending time ranting and raving on the internet about the inanity of popular music (and really, was it always as good as you remember?), go out and listen to something new. If it's good, tell your friends about it. Complaining about the popularity of Lady Gaga is useless, because you can't just force millions of people to stop liking what you don't like. (and side note: she actually does have more musical talent and education than many popstars of any era. find some old videos of her pre-Gaga and you can hear it for yourself, assuming someone hasn't posted some already)

I do agree with you on the loudness war parts though. Having nice headphones is both a gift and a curse sometimes.

bloon wrote:
MY ESTROGEN TAKES OVER AND I AM ALL OOOOOOMG *SCREAMFLEE*