Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
How would you rate this update out of 5?
5 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
5 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
4 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
4 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
3 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
3 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
2 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
2 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 20
 Post subject: 15-Feb-2011 - Skill Bonanza: Urns, Ashes and Shortcuts
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 12:59 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
RuneScape.com wrote:
15-Feb-2011 - Skill Bonanza: Urns, Ashes and Shortcuts

Today's update is a skiller's paradise, with updates for crafters, prayer-lovers and agility fanatics. Make urns that benefit a number of other skills, scatter demon ashes, and build permanent agility shortcuts.

Urn Crafting

No matter what your Crafting level, you are now able to make urns for Cooking, Fishing, Mining, Smithing, Woodcutting and Prayer (but more on the Prayer urns later) at any pottery oven. Form it, fire it and attach an appropriate rune to it and you’ll be able to carry the urn when training the related skill. There’s no effort required, as your urn will fill up passively as you train, until it becomes full and you can teleport it away for a tidy batch of XP.

Urns can be made from Crafting level 1 all the way up level 81; the higher your Crafting level, the higher quality your urns will be. Higher quality urns are able to collect by-products from a wider range of fish, logs, ores, etc. For example, a cracked fishing urn (made at level 1 Crafting) will fill up if you're fishing catches below Fishing level 10; however, a decorated fishing urn (made at level 76 Crafting) will fill up when you are catching any type of fish.

Urns are made just like any other pottery, but require two pieces of soft clay. Once it has been fired, you can either trade it or add a rune to 'activate' it. You can then start to fill up activated urns – with the ability to check how full they are – and then teleport them away once full. Wondering where all your urns go? In south-east Varrock there is an interesting newcomer: Ernie, the urn collector. Ernie will offer help on making or using these urns.

Pottery Improvements

To ease the pottery process, you can now make soft clay directly at a water source (you no longer need a container for the water). Additionally, new clay mining sites have been discovered south of Barbarian Village and near Draynor Village, and there is also a new pottery building in south-east Varrock, on the bottom floor of Ernie's house.

Demon Ashes and Prayer Urns

Demon slayers will find that, from now on, their demonic prey has a new 100% drop. These will be impious ashes (from imps and fiends), accursed ashes (lesser and greater demons) or infernal ashes (black and abyssal demons, nechryaels, boss demons), depending on the demon defeated. Any ashes you currently own will remain as just that: ashes, like you get from burning logs.

Much like bones can be buried for some immediate Prayer XP, these ashes can be scattered (including at a POH altar). Alternatively, you may want to keep hold of ashes to use at the Ectofuntus, where they effectively work as pre-ground bones, which will save you a bit of grinding... To tie in with the pottery crafting update, you’re also able to make prayer urns – urns that automatically collect the ash of any demons you defeat, and which can be teleported away for bonus Prayer XP in the same way as the other urns.

Shortcut Improvements

Finally, we've made some changes to a handful of shortcuts and transportation methods to streamline their use. First off, we've made the River Lum canoe system available to free-players. At points along the Lum, you can build canoes to take you on a one-way trip into the Wilderness. You can even now borrow a hatchet off one of the canoe tutors.

Members can also use their Construction skill to build hidey-holes at crossbow shortcuts and rope racks at eagle eyries/Baxtorian Falls. In these will be stored crossbows/grapples and ropes, so you won’t need to carry these items in order to make use of these shortcuts and transport methods.

Mod Ana (urns and pottery updates) and Mod Dylan (ashes and shortcuts)
RuneScape Content Developers

In other news...

The legendary wolf, Hati, has retired to a colder land, so players will no longer be able to hunt him. The gloves fashioned out of his paws still have his lingering magic effects on them, but this will disperse on Tuesday 10th May, so make sure to use their power up if you haven't already!

An exotic delicacy awaits you near a banana plantation...

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 12:59 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: 15-Feb-2011 - Skill Bonanza: Urns, Ashes and Shortcuts
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 1:15 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Opeth
Clan Name: Dung Smith
I didn't expect this update to revolutionise the way prayer would be trained. Sure the extra experience can be nice but the time spent and the inconvenience that occurs during the collecting of the ashes does not seem to appeal.

With the urn update, I haven't made use of it yet but I've heard mixed reviews. Mining is useless for the low xp gain, Woodcutting for not being compatible with ivy and smithing for not working with gold (all three are understandable due to ivy/living rock caverns/gold smelting gloves though). I can see fishing and cooking gauntlets being the only two useful ones if made in bulk, hence the higher level needed.

I love the small secret update with the acai berries though in Karamja store. Just waiting for my $75/monthly subscription to come in explaining the weight loss I will now succeed in! (Not that I need it).

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 1:57 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: B66f
Clan Name: bitsbytes
While some of the urns aren't useful at all, I have used the Decorated Cooking urn, which is very good. It's as simple as leaving one in your inventory while you cook (after obtaining it, of course), and after 1-2 inventories, it's full. I saved them until my 15k exp limit was reached each time, then teleported them. Because of this update, I received an extra 50k cooking experience for free, which is not bad at all. 4/5

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 7:08 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Rodsay
I am using the decorated fishing urn which takes 80 monkfish to fill; it certainly has encouraged me to stick at fishing to get the lvl 81 I need, almost there :)

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 2:31 pm 
Bronze Member

RS Name: FatalProShot
4/5. I think it was a good update, definitely useful.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 2:50 pm 
Black Member

RS Name: 1965Mustang
Just saying, but this looks SO SICK!

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 2:50 pm 
Black Member

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 5:45 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: JessePinkman
Clan Name: The Cafe
I have mixed feelings with the urns update. Some of them are terrible such as Mining and Woodcutting, but others are great like Cooking and Fishing. Well, I suppose free xp is never a bad thing. :)

As for the ashes update, this was MUCH needed in my opinion. I was tired of no prayer EXP from the ashes. Good job by doing this Jagex. :D

Overall, I'd rate this 4/5.

ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage

653rd to 120 Divination
550th to 200m Divination

PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 11:52 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Lisaz
RS Status: F2P
I like the idea of scattering ashes. Now you can get Prayer experience even training with Lesser or Greater Demons :)

And, by the way, are urns only for members?

PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 11:59 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
The Prayer Urns are pointless imp. I killed around 120 Greater Demons and that filled up 1 jar, which gave me 1,850 exp... Not really worth it imo

PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 11:16 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: Rodsay
Lisaz - urns are for f2p as well, but not sure if the full range available.

There is a clay deposit just south of Barbarian village and a new well inside, which makes pottery very easy there now; yes you can turn dry clay to wet just by 'using' on a well :)

Ranging god - did you get any XP before? if not it is all extra; has to be better than nothing ;)

PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 4:12 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Azek
Rodsay wrote:
Lisaz - urns are for f2p as well, but not sure if the full range available.

There is a clay deposit just south of Barbarian village and a new well inside, which makes pottery very easy there now; yes you can turn dry clay to wet just by 'using' on a well :)

Ranging god - did you get any XP before? if not it is all extra; has to be better than nothing ;)

No, since it auto collects it. I guess it is better than nothing I suppose.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 1:42 am 
Iron Member

RS Name: lnfectl0n
Clan Name: Team Eternity
Haven't tried but it looks like a fun changed to crafting

ImageImageImageImageImage
Zerker.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage