Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lost Odyssey
PostPosted: December 9th, 2007, 2:19 pm 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Figgurred I'd make a thread about this game, see what peoples impressions of it where.

I'm very very very very very very very very (X10000) picky around RPGs, i only like a few. Mostly because they attempt epic and fall flat on there face, oblivion was boring to me, it's a fine example of failing at being epic.

Blue Dragon i got excited over and it was rubbish.

Hell i can list the rpg's i like it's that limited;

Golden Sun
Jaden Empire
Fable (ish,i actually managed to complete it.)
Fire Emblem 2

Yeah, that about covers it!

And I've yet to find one i liked on the 360, i had Fable and Jaden for the xbox at least.

trailer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nmZpAdxdBJI

http://www.mistwalker.info/lo.html

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 9th, 2007, 2:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2007, 3:14 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Ryno nub
I watched that trailer and, as good as it may look, I think its going to be a failure. Random warrior vs 1000's of robot people in a battlefield, yeah because that's not the most random and unrealistic thing in the world is it? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2007, 3:36 pm 

Ryan wrote:
I watched that trailer and, as good as it may look, I think its going to be a failure. Random warrior vs 1000's of robot people in a battlefield, yeah because that's not the most random and unrealistic thing in the world is it? :roll:

o.0

What?

It was two army's facing off against each other..he wasn't just a random warrior. It's setting the plot. Once the Lava falls from the sky, all involved are wiped out naturally except the warrior you see, who's actually called Kaim.

He survives, no one knows how, but for some reason, he can't die. I believe The game picks off 1000 years later, after hes walked the world for 1000 years and hes discovering things about his past and so on.

It's actually got a really deep story if you look into it.

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Odyssey

Much better at explaining.

edit:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26385.html

Fantasticc opening scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2007, 4:53 pm 
BANNED

RS Status: Classic
I don't like your list of good RPG's mainly because you didn't list a single Final Fantasy. I'm hoping that you have just never played one, or else your definition of 'epic' is terribly wrong.

I fail to see how Fable falls under the epic category and Oblivion doesn't. Although fun, Fable lacked a good story, and I find that Oblivion had some very good moments (ie. the assault on the three gates). Jade Empire, I barely played, I just found it boring because of the setting. I should have given it a better chance, so I won't comment on this one. Fire Emblem... I rarely find tactic based RPG's to be epic, although I quite liked The Sacred Stones for GBA. Now, Golden Sun, there was a fine game. Couldn't agree with you more on that one.

Lost Odyssey looks promising. It reminds of everything Final Fantasy XII was not, in a good way. You know the music is going to be amazing, because Nobou Uematsu is composing this time around. One of the main things missing with Final Fantasy XII was the music, and the game failed because Uematsu hadn't written it. I compare this game to Final Fantasy because I see it as a fresh start for the degrading series. The creator of Final Fantasy, paired with the composer of the first 10 games, it really is a new beginning. The story sounds sweet, who wouldn't want to play as an immortal who has been walking the world for 1000 years, for reasons yet to be discovered by us. The battle systems looks good, with the immortal characters coming back to life after a few turns.

So yeah, this is the one game I'm looking forward to, and the reason why I asked for a 360 for Christmas. The Final Fantasy series is over, I think we all saw that with XII.

And Creepy, if my first statement was correct, I highly suggest you pick up a copy of Final Fantasy X for the PS2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2007, 6:11 pm 

Actually, I've tried several final fantasy's in the past. I've TRIED to like the games. But there crap. There boring.

No matter what version i play, i find myself scared to talk to anyone cause I'd get in a 30 minute bore fest of useless text that didn't serve any real purpose.

Oblivion, the attack on the three gates was dull. It wasn't epic at all. Probably didn't help that the combat system in oblivion is so poor. Honestly next you do that part, take a step back and watch what's going on. It's not epic it looks rather lame considering how badly they built it up and all the work you went through to get "troops" (i.e a small gang) to come.

Fable, meh, i never said it was epic i added in brackets that i managed to complete it, the game was amusing for a play through, wasn't very good but i could at least tolerate it.

Fire Emblem, never attempted to be Epic. You sorta missed my point. Most RPGs TRY to be epic and fail. Fable tried i admit, and failed. Oblivion tried and failed. Mass Effect tried and i hear failed, the list goes on and on.

LO actually has a storyline worth getting interested in, which is more than i can say for any Final Fantasy game, which, to be frank, took so long to GET to the story that I'd lost all interest anyway.

As I said - Very very picky about my RPG's

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 4:58 am 
Dragon Member

CreepyPirate wrote:
Actually, I've tried several final fantasy's in the past. I've TRIED to like the games. But there crap. There boring.

No matter what version i play, i find myself scared to talk to anyone cause I'd get in a 30 minute bore fest of useless text that didn't serve any real purpose.

Oblivion, the attack on the three gates was dull. It wasn't epic at all. Probably didn't help that the combat system in oblivion is so poor. Honestly next you do that part, take a step back and watch what's going on. It's not epic it looks rather lame considering how badly they built it up and all the work you went through to get "troops" (i.e a small gang) to come.

Fable, meh, i never said it was epic i added in brackets that i managed to complete it, the game was amusing for a play through, wasn't very good but i could at least tolerate it.

Fire Emblem, never attempted to be Epic. You sorta missed my point. Most RPGs TRY to be epic and fail. Fable tried i admit, and failed. Oblivion tried and failed. Mass Effect tried and i hear failed, the list goes on and on.

LO actually has a storyline worth getting interested in, which is more than i can say for any Final Fantasy game, which, to be frank, took so long to GET to the story that I'd lost all interest anyway.

As I said - Very very picky about my RPG's

gotta agree, oblivion sucked and ff7 was the only ff game i could bare to play.

Dragon Member #49 as of|25/11/2006
SOTW wins:
[32] [33]

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 4:58 am 
Dragon Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 10:05 am 
Adamantite Member

RS Name: red spear1
I told you about this a while ago and you said it looked .. bad :roll:

I think it looks quite good to be honest, from screenshots I have seen it looks almost like FF..

Can't really comment on RPG's until I play them however, as Oblivion looked great but was ruined by 1. the combat system and 2. the repetetive-ness.

Erm nope, you didn't.

I know about these things weeks if not months ahead of you cause I'm a giant video game ner..erm, I HAS CONTACTS.

-Creepy

You did.

Last edited by Red Spear1 on December 11th, 2007, 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 12:58 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Static Muse
I agree with you about Final Fantasy, they are complete rubbish because of every cutscene being 30-45 minutes long. And I don't know about you but I can't stand turn based RPGs. The only few RPGs that I have enjoyed were Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fable, and Knights of the Old Republic. As for Lost Odyssey I highly doubt I will pick it up just because it really doesn't have anything new in an RPG that would appeal to me. I think personally the best way to go with an RPG style is Fallout because it mixes the RPG elements with the FPS style which is great IMO.

Post subject: Re: Lost Odyssey
PostPosted: December 14th, 2007, 8:37 pm 
BANNED

Gamespot wrote:
Lost Odyssey preorders detailed

Mistwalker's Lost Odyssey stands as one of the more anticipated role-playing games on the horizon for the Xbox 360. Still, Microsoft is keen on having gamers pony up their dollars in advance of the game's anticipated February 12 release. Microsoft has announced that preorders are now being taken for Lost Odyssey, and those who take the plunge will get a jump on some in-game downloadable content.

The downloadable content includes a bonus mission and an unlockable weapon. While everyone will have access to the DLC later this spring, those who preorder will have access to the upgrades when the game launches. The brainchild of legendary game designer Hironobu Sakaguchi, Lost Odyssey, along with Blue Dragon, leads Microsoft's push into the Japanese role-playing game sector. Not yet rated, it will be available exclusively for the Xbox 360.

Suhweet!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Forum Index » Off-Topic » Non-RuneScape Discussion » Gaming » Lost Odyssey Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]