Post subject: F2P Mining Guide (working on P2P)
PostPosted: October 15th, 2005, 12:44 pm 
BANNED

RS Name: Crysala
RS Status: P2P
I know I've posted this before but i thought since we are taking submissions now id post it again in here..

I noticed that we don't really have a detailed mining guide yet so I thought Id take the liberty and post one i made a while ago. Mainly for F2P miners.

Mining Guide (F2P)

Not only is mining an excellent way to make money fast and easily but it can get you heaps of experience and total levels. However it does take quite a while to get to guild status and get to that magical 85. This guide will cover places to mine, picks, ores, dangers of mining, and prices of ores.

Ores

Prices of Ores

Clay - Lvl 1 - 5-10gp
Copper - Lvl 1 - 10-15gp
Tin - Lvl 1 - 10-15gp
Blurite - Lvl 10 - Non-tradeable
Iron - Lvl 15 - 50-80gp (sometimes found as low as 20 each, best not to buy this in ore form unless for use in making steel)
Silver - Lvl 20 - 50-70gp
Coal - Lvl 30 - 100-170gp (sometimes found as low as 30 each but that is very rare)
Gold - Lvl 40 - 100-150gp
Mithril - Lvl 55 - 400-600gp
Adamantite - Lvl 70 - 700-2,000gp (2,000gp is asking quite alot but rich players will pay that, also quite rare)
Runite - Lvl 85 - 10,000-12,000gp (best not to sell below 10k, after all rune is very hard to get)

Respawn Times

Clay - 1 second
Copper - 5 seconds
Tin - 5 seconds
Iron - 10 seconds
Silver - 2 minutes
Coal - 45 seconds
Gold - 2 minutes
Mithril - 3 minutes
Adamantite - 4:30 minutes
Runite - 30 minutes

Picks

Bronze - Lvl 1 (1-2gp)
Iron - Lvl 2 (100-200gp)
Steel - Lvl 6 (450-600gp)
Mithril - Lvl 21 (1200-1500gp)
Adamantite - Lvl 31 (3200-3600gp)
Runite - Lvl 41 (32000-35000gp, if selling best not to sell below 32k because you will be losing money)

Places To Mine

• The best place obviously to mine coal would be the Mining Guild, however this isn't for everyone, it has a total of 36 coal rocks and 5 mithril rocks that are open to anyones disposal as long as they can get in. A level of 60 mining is required. Although all is not lost if you are planning to do a whole lot of coal mining and haven't reached the right level yet, Dwarven Stouts can be used to raise your mining level by 1 so if you are 58 and drink a stout you could be happily mining in no time, however bear in mind that the effects of the beer are limited and wear off after a while so you will need to top up every now and then, also note that drinking 10 and 20 stouts will NOT increase your mining level by 10 or 20 levels, it will go up 1 then stop and your combat stats will continue to plumit. The closest bank is in Falador in the east right above the main entrance to the guild.

• The Dwarven Mines is the central hub for all miners. It contains the most rocks (including 5 clay, 10 tin, 11 copper, 9 iron, 11 coal, 2 gold, 2 mithril, and 3 addy rocks, unfortunately NO silver rocks), 2 mining shops (one selling, buying, and repairing pickaxes and the other buying and selling ores and bars), 2 anvils, a general store (buying and selling the usual), the door to the mining guild, and the room containing the second map piece for the Dragon Slayer Quest, not to mention tons of Lvl 14 Scorpions, Lvl 32 King Scorpions, and Lvl 10 Dwarfs. Many experienced miners mine here and the iron and coal sites are exteremely popular among those not yet able to enter the guild aswell as those able to. Again it is always more helpful to have a higher mining lvl before trying to compete for ores with 5 and 6 people at a time but there are plenty of rocks to go around here and it is probably your best bet if you plan on doing alot of mining, experience and cash wise, that is providing you don't get killed by the scorpions first. The pictures below are not the only rocks of those type in the whole mine...there are too many rocks to take screen shots of them all! The closest bank again is the east bank in Falador, using the alternate entrance located to the extreme east Falador right against the wall. There is a picture below.

(mini-map view of secret entrance)

Here are the pictures of the 2 mining shops, general store, and anvils. Nurmofs shop sells the pickaxes and is located in the left branch of the mine right in a little passage at the back, it is difficult to find at first but once you find it its not hard after that.

The anvils and general store are located below Nurmof's shop. The other mining shop is in the right branch of the mine and is fairly easy to see.

Nurmof's Pickaxe Shop:

Drogo's Ore and Bar Shop:

Anvils:

General Store:
  • If you have a crafting lvl of 40 or higher and a brown apron you can get into the Crafting Guild that has 7 gold rocks, 6 silver rocks, and 6 clay rocks. This is a great location for increasing mining, then using the ores to increase your smithing, and then use the bars to increase your crafting as well as money. Closest bank is also east bank in Falador.

• Another excellent place to mine coal, addy, and mithril is the Hobgoblin Mine located in Lvl 32 Wilderness. Again not for everyone as the wildy is dangerous and often competing for the same rock with someone else will result in death, I should know its happened to me. The mine is fairly un-popular due to its danger factor which is good for those of us wanting to mine a whole lot of ores. The place is swarming with lvl 28 and 42 hobgoblins though so caution is advised especially if you have a low combat level. Its a good idea to take some runes to teleport somewhere if you run into trouble or some food and also save your energy so you can run away if you strike trouble as well. All in all a great spot. Closest bank is in Edgeville but bear in mind that it is quite a hike to go back and forth to the bank for a long time and people often get bored quickly, sometimes teleporting to Varrock and using the banks there is useful aswell but it almost doubles your walking distance to get back to the mines.
  • The Barbarian Village is good place to grab some tin, however who needs tin in great amounts? There is also 4 coal rocks along side the 5 tin ones but it is not too good to try to get coal from here unless you have quite a high mining lvl because you will be there for years trying to fill up your inventory. Closest bank is in Edgeville, to the north of the mining site.

• The Varrock West Mines are located just under the city, south west, right next to the Champions Guild. It isn't too good for anything really accept a few quick ores. It only has 8 tin, 3 clay, 3 silver, and 3 iron. Closest bank is also west bank in Varrock.

• The Varrock East Mines is relatively similar to the west mines but has less rocks. Rocks include 6 tin, 9 copper, and 4 iron. Closest bank would be east bank in Varrock.
  • Lumbridge Swamps also has a small mine containing 7 coal, 5 mith and, 2 addy. This is a good place for mithril and some coal but alot of high level miners mine here as not alot of players can be bothered to make the treks from the swamps to the closest bank in Draynor Village to drop off their loads. Useful for the occasional long stint.

• The little mining site in Rimmington is great for getting lots of iron. It has 2 clay, 2 tin, 5 copper, 6 iron, and 2 gold rocks. There are never too many people here compared to the amount that try to mine, say iron, in the Dwarven Mines so there is a much better chance for the less experienced miners to get in and get some ores. Also its a great place for experienced miners to get ores as well as there are never too many good miners passing through so we can hog all the rocks! The closest bank is the east Falador one.

• Al Kharid Mining Site or otherwise known as the Scorpion Pit because...well...its got alot of scorpions roaming around. This has at least 1 rock of every ore apart from Runite so it is an excellent place to mine. The rocks include 1 tin, 3 copper, 9 iron, 5 silver, 3 coal, 2 gold, 2 mithril, 2 addy rocks. Due to there only being 3 coal rocks, 2 of which are together and the other is at the opposite end of the mine it is probably best to try to mine coal somewhere else that has more rocks, however I mined there for around 3 weeks before I moved somewhere else and didnt find it too annoying to wait for ages for the coal to respawn. For those of us that dont yet have a crafting level of 40 to get into the crafting guild to mine silver this is a great place to mine it, once you get into a pattern it seems like there is no waiting time in between respawns. Low level combats should be careful of the scorpions here aswell, Ive seen quite a few people die and even though its good for everyone else when someone dies...be careful because they wont leave you alone till you reach a combat of 30+! The closest bank is the one in Al Kharid itself.

• The Skeleton Mine located under Edgeville, a.k.a the Edgeville Dungeon, is also a great place for mining coal, addy, and mithril. Its got 2 tin, 2 copper, 3 iron, 3 silver, 6 coal, 1 mithril, and 2 addy rocks to dispose of. Even though there arent a great deal of rocks its still a nice little site as not many people know about it and/or go down there. Its relatively close to a bank, the closest one being the west one in Varrock and there are little to no dangers, actually none if you have a higher combat level. There are only some skeletons that walk around. However to get inside from the closest entrance, the one not in Edgeville, you will need a key that respawns on the floor just below the mine site. Keep walking and you will see a ladder, climb that and you come to a little hut, using the key on this door will unlock it and then you can come in and out this way to use the bank rather than walking all the way through the dungeon to the Edgeville bank, provided you have the key.

Entrance closer to Varrock and the Key:
  • The Ice Dungeon is another little area barely used for mining unless youre doing the Knights Sword Quest where you are required to mine Blurite. Ice Giants and Warriors hang out around the ores and are the only real dangers to miners. There are 4 Blurite rocks and the ores are non-tradeable, personally I just like to mine the ore because it looks pretty, otherwise it has no real value. The closest bank would be the one in Draynor Village but mining great amounts of Blurite ore is pretty pointless.

• Wilderness Runite Mine is the place to go for the gifted players of Runescape who have managed to get to that magical level 85. This is the only place that F2P can mine Runite ore and there are only 2 rocks of it there and its in level 46 wilderness. All i can suggest so far is be **** careful you dont get pked before and especially after you mine the ore. This is a tactic used by alot of people around that mine, they wait until someone has successfully mined some Runite ore and then kill them and take the ore and make a small fortune, high combat being an advantage if youre mining here. Low combat can also help here because if youre a lvl 3 for example the high lvl pkers cant attack you. If you do decide to mine here it would be unwise to mine without either a friend to help you, a 'bodyguard', or a scout controlled by you. When logging in to mine here, log in with your scout (if you have one) to check if the coast is clear - this scout only needs to be lvl 3 with no skills or items, it doesnt matter if it dies - as in there are no pkers or Deadly Red Spiders lurking about. If the coast is clear log out of your scout then log back in with your main which should already be at the rocks and mine the ore. This way you avoid being pked as soon as you log in. You can also take this approach with a 'bodyguard' or a helpful friend that has either high mage or range. The idea is they do the exact same thing as your scout would do but they kill the awaiting pkers and then you log in when the job has been done. They then remain there while you mine to protect you from danger until you finish then you both log out. Personally I use the scout option as I have found it most effective, not many pkers bother to kill your scout so you can get away if there do happen to be any there. Basically the only ting you can do other than using scouts and extra help is be careful and the log out button. The rock area is a no-tele zone and I can almost guarantee you wont get away easily if at all to the KBD area in order to tele away so your best option is to watch the mini-map and log out as soon as you see a white dot appear, dont wait to see who it is or if they are going to kill you...99.9% of the time they will be out to pk someone and by the time you notice that you dont have time to get away. Best of luck mining here, its a tough one!

• The Wilderness Skeleton Mine only has 2 iron and 3 coal rocks and is located just on the level 6 wilderness mark. If you are planning to be mining considerable amounts of ore then this probably isnt the best place to mine. If you have a low combat level, yet again, be careful you dont get killed by the skeletons roaming around. All up it is an okay spot as there is the Edgeville bank close by.
  • The Wilderness Coal Mine is top notch for coal mining as it is almost exactly the same as the guild with increased danger factors and no mithril rocks. It has a total of 34 coal rocks to mine and is out in level 10 wilderness, pretty low. This mine has no real dangers apart from the occasional pker, but most serious pkers dont hang around here. Great place to mine lots of coal with only a small hike to the Edgeville bank which is the closest.
  • One of 2 island mines is the one on Karamja. It only has 4 gold rocks to mine but this is a good place to get your helping of gold if you cant get into the Crafting guild or find the other sets of 2 rocks in other sites too slow. You can mine some kill some, that takes up time during respawning and allows you to increase both mining as well as combat. The only problem is the distance and price of return to a bank. If you are planning on doing alot of gold mining this is probably a good spot for a while but it costs 30gp each trip on the boat. Closest bank is in Draynor Village.

• The other F2P island location is Crandor that has a total of 4 mining sites, each with different ores. There are 10 coal, 8 mithril, 3 addy,and 3 gold rocks over the 4 sites. The island is only accessible however to players who have completed the Dragon Slayer quest as you need to get through the secret passageway in the wall on Karamja to get onto the island. This is a great place to mine mithril, theres lesser demons, moss giants, king scorpions, hobgoblins, and skeletons on the island and in the passage to the island that will attack you. If you get bored of mining you can also fight some mine some here. The mossies are great for increasing combat skills, so are all the other monsters. Below are 2 mine sites out of the 4. Closest bank is either Draynor Village or Falador East.

Dangers of Mining
  • You're happily mining and all of a sudden a giant brown thing pops up and yells 'Flee human!', this is a Rock Golem that appears at random while someone is mining. They can appear at any time and while mining any rock so you cant predict then, hence the reason they are a random event. The higher level you are the higher level your golem will be so everyones golems will be unique to them. When your combat level hits the 62 mark you will get level 120 rock golems. The golems can be killed whether you use fighting, magic, or prayer to help you out (e.g. protect from melee spell) and once they are defeated they can drop quite good items including picks, runes, and ores. The higher level the golem is the better items it will drop when it dies. Its always a good idea to be watching whilst mining because if you get a golem and aren't wearing adequate protection you could tune back into the game and find yourself in Lumbridge, which is never the best.

• Another random event that occurs quite frequently is the steaming rock. This is when there is a bunch of white stuff coming out of the rock, whatever you do DONT mine it, unless of course you want to injure yourself and blow your pick to pieces. If this happens and you don't realize, bad luck, but it doesn't mean you have to buy a whole new pick either. Depending on what kind of pick you have when you take it to Nurmof's Pickaxe Shop he can repair it for you for a small fee, a fraction of the cost it would take to buy a new one, especially if you blew up a rune pick. Use the broken pick with Nurmof and he will ask you if you want him to fix it for a price, say yes, pay the money, and he fixes it for you and away you go again.

• One last random event that happens whilst mining is that your pick head will fly off and land somewhere near by. Don't fret this doesn't require buying a brand new pick either, simply pick the head up and use the pick with the handle, good as new. Keep in mind if you leave it too long to pick up the head it will disappear leaving you with just the handle and well, you cant do too much with only a handle can you? If you wind up like this you will have to buy a new pick.

I hope my wow..extremely indepth guide helps you out :P

Last edited by Crysala on October 16th, 2005, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 15th, 2005, 12:44 pm 
BANNED

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2005, 7:24 pm 

RS Name: King Kulla
RS Status: F2P
I would like to point out that the closest bank to the Barbarians village is the edgeville bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2005, 2:27 am 
BANNED

thanks edited

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2005, 3:10 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Gontcha
Clan Name: Pork Forces, gtfo MM!!
how many perfect guides do you plan to write?

EDIT: [runs back, w00t post n°500]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2005, 8:30 pm 
BANNED

i wouldnt consider them perfect. and i pla on writting as many as i feel like :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2005, 11:24 pm 

RS Name: j1j2j3
don't forget the hero's guild and hobgoblin and wilderness mine

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: November 7th, 2005, 11:24 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2005, 11:47 pm 
BANNED

Hobgoblin Mines are already there as are all the other F2P wilderness mining site :? did you even read it? and this is also a F2P guide..emphasis on the FREEPLAY..last time i checked non-members cant get into the heros guild. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2005, 12:04 am 

RS Name: j1j2j3
hey i did back in RSC, just that there were no rocks :P

Post subject: Nice!
PostPosted: November 14th, 2005, 7:01 am 
Nice guide and picks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2005, 1:36 pm 
Nice Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2005, 7:09 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: REDRANGER
RS Status: Classic
Eeps! Nice guide. :D Come out with P2P mining guide quick..*Puppy face* Please? :roll: