Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy S5, thoughts?
PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 9:44 pm 
Iron Member

RS Status: P2P
So I just want to chime in on the feel quality, I only have an S3 but I never once thought that it felt cheap. Ok, the back is plastic and it felt like it was going to snap the first few times I took it off, but it never has and never will. Plus it feels sturdy and never leaves it's case anyways. I assume that build quality would have improved since this one so I don't think that should be a concern at all, unless you care about people judging you based on the quality of your phone. Which no one will.

A month ago I was out camping and was holding my friend's S4 in one pocket and my S3 in the other and had to cross a river and ended up slipping. Both phones survived no problem. Obviously I credit that to luck and not each phone's quality, but if the S5 is waterproof then that'd be a huge reassurance in those kind of situations.

I'm not suggesting one thing or another though. I went with it at the time because I guess I wanted a popular phone and for some reason at the time the lowest plans for an iPhone were $75 a month where the equivalent plan for every other phone was $40 a month. (That was with avoiding a contract though, which I guess I now see as pointless since I've only upgraded phones when I started having issues with the one I had)
In the end it is just a phone and it has done everything I've needed and more. I look at the new iPhones and think "Oh I want that" and then think "Oh wow but its an expensive upgrade" and then think "Oh but I can afford it!" but I know it's not going to be any significant improvement even over my older phone that's still doing what it needs to do (and well).

So definitely make an informed decision, but just get what you want, they're all phones and some are better in certain areas but their advantages and disadvantages aren't going to make a difference in your life anyways. Until you get stuck on electronic holding duty and end up slipping in a river and have to spend $3000 on new phones for everyone since they weren't waterproof. But that's just a minor setback.

Image as of may 5 2015 6:55:35 pm EDT / 10:55:35 GMT
achieved in: 396 days 9 hours 11 minutes 24 sceonds

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 26th, 2014, 9:44 pm 
Iron Member

Post subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy S5, thoughts?
PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 9:48 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Chief. Snake
RS Status: Retired
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
Wheres Jay wrote:
So I just want to chime in on the feel quality, I only have an S3 but I never once thought that it felt cheap. Ok, the back is plastic and it felt like it was going to snap the first few times I took it off, but it never has and never will. Plus it feels sturdy and never leaves it's case anyways. I assume that build quality would have improved since this one so I don't think that should be a concern at all, unless you care about people judging you based on the quality of your phone. Which no one will.

The one thing I really liked about the S3's build was that it actually felt great to hold, even though it looked fairly cheap. It's thin and super light because of the plastic, and the rounded edges made a huge difference compared to holding my own phone, which is less rounded because of its glass back (also not all that practical but I digress). The S5 is heaps bigger of course though so likely not quite as nice in terms of holdability any more unfortunately.

Wheres Jay wrote:
So definitely make an informed decision, but just get what you want, they're all phones and some are better in certain areas but their advantages and disadvantages aren't going to make a difference in your life anyways. Until you get stuck on electronic holding duty and end up slipping in a river and have to spend $3000 on new phones for everyone since they weren't waterproof. But that's just a minor setback.

^ This :P