Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Round Robin: Rise of The Eclipse
PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 7:40 pm 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
RS Name: Alex 43
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Rsbandb! All the way!
You guys have no idea how much fun I had with this one.

HIGH ABOVE THE WILDERNESS

The air above the wilderness was so ashen-filled that dragons in flight had to curve their necks around and face the opposite direction of their travel in order to breathe. It was a mixture of burnt ash, coal dust, and a hint of sulphur; toxic to anyone who inhaled it. Thankfully, he didn't need to breathe, as he would've had both ash and coal dust to deal with. His passengers wore cloth over their mouths to help filter it out, but even that was a minor assist.

Coughing was frequent, but he dared not slow his speed or change his altitude. Below the clouds, they had to contend with scout towers and revenants. It appeared Dulcien was expecting some sort of retaliation from the heroes, as he had the whole wilderness covered from coast to border. If Alex didn't figure he had such fragile plans that required such precautions, he would've called Dulcien downright paranoid.

Above them, as he discovered and took quick measures to evade, a cluster of black bird-like summons that were no doubt the result of a darker magic. They were fanned out and stretched thin all across the wilderness skies, so definitely for recon purposes. Even still, Alex didn't dare challenge their air defences. They were the stealth, after all.

Fortunately, they were not present within the lower heights, and despite how much the ash clouds were suffocating them, it was still keeping them alive and hidden from anti-air measures. Every so often, he had to dip dangerously low just to see where he was going, but once he made out a landmark, he was right back in the smog.

Several more minutes passed, and the coughing became more frequent.

“It's getting much harder to breathe!” Momsrascal complained.

“The smog is getting thicker.” Jason agreed.

“That's because we're moving closer to the northern volcano.” Alex replied, “The heat is greater, so I have to fly higher to stay within the cloud.”

“Can't you go around?” Karmadin asked, also starting to surrender to the ash. Tenshi kept his silence, but Alex felt him struggling slightly.

“I won't have time to do so if I want to coordinate with the ships.”

“Then can't we go above the clouds just for a couple breaths?” Jason suggested, “I doubt anything would see us. And if they do, we'll stay low and you can pass off as an ordinary wilderness dragon.”

Alex wondered for a moment if it would've been better to have gone alone. If they were thinking of taking a risk like that at this point in the mission, they must really be suffocating. Surrendering to his own good conscience, Alex nodded.

“OK. Get ready, you guys.” he said, “I'm only doing this once.”

Curving his wings upward, he let the air carry him up toward the peak of the cloud. True to their word, his passengers kept low, and bracing himself for immediate evasive maneuvers, he plunged upwards with a great flap of his mighty shape-shifting wings.

The evasive maneuvers were not necessary. Neither was the diving back down to avoid being spotted. Above the clouds, the sky was clear for miles.

“Hey, weren't there those birds up here?” Karmadin confirmed Alex's skeptical realization.

“Yeah. Where did they go?” Tenshi asked.

“Maybe they weren't Dulcien's after all.” Jason speculated.

“Maybe.” Alex nodded, squinting his eyes into the distance, “Or maybe we had already been discovered.”

They saw it too. A bright blue light, jetting straight at them. They expected Alex to dart back down into the clouds, but he suddenly went rigid.

“Alex?” asked Momsrascal, getting more edgy with each passing second, “What is it?”

“That...” Alex said, his brain frantically trying to remember how to blink. He suddenly turned toward his comrades.

“That's the thing that attacked Hunt and I!” he exclaimed, “Weapons out!”

Rather than descend, Alex ascended. His eyes burst to bright life, reflected off the surface of the cloud mass below. The light rocketed at them, spitting out sparks behind it and twisting a long tail of flame behind it. If this was Alex's first encounter with this thing, they would've easily seen it as a magic spell.

Instead, Alex knew it was the creature itself and prepared to intercept. Only when it attacked like this was it vulnerable. Otherwise, it just couldn't be hit.

It charged at them, and with a burst of effort, Alex charged forth.

300 feet away. Alex arced a powerful ball of electric energy in between his wings as Karmadin loaded his crossbow and took aim. The ring of unsheathed weapons delightfully filled his ears.

200 feet. Alex took aim. Just a bit closer...

100 feet. Alex held his wings out to glide while Karmadin exhaled to steady his shot.

0 feet. It was in range! Alex and Karmadin fired-

“Oh, I missed you! Almost!”

... actually, they didn't fire. At 100 feet, it suddenly flickered and appeared behind them, seated patiently on Alex's rear. Reacting instinctively, Jason swung his sword right onto its head.

*CLANG!*

The creature was embedded into Alex up to its neck, leaving its legs to dangle over air coming out of Alex's gut. It didn't seem to mind.

“Step step step!” it sang, bobbing its head, “It's one and then it's two. Two legs, two feet, two ways to make a move.”

Karmadin whipped his crossbow around and took aim, but then shared the same stunned, confused expression as the others. Jason's sword still shook from the vibration of colliding with its otherwise undamaged head.

Alex turned his head to look at what was going on. This was the first time he actually got a good look at the creature; it was moving so fast initially. It perfectly resembled the same creatures that attacked Falador. And once again, he thought it seemed so familiar somehow. What was it... when was it...

“Take it down!” he barked. Due to its proximity, he dispelled his charged attack and instead levelled himself out to provide his teammates with more of a platform with which to maneuver.

“Take it down! Take it down!” their attacker mimicked in a falsetto voice, “Take it down what? Don't forget to say the magic word!”

Now Alex was stunned. It had done this before. Completely disregarded Alex as an enemy. Being the first to snap out of it, Karmadin fired. The creature caught the bolt in its teeth.

“Well I reckon there must be a traitor 'round these parts!” its accent changed, and it chewed the bolt in its beak as though it was a toothpick, “Fifty grand to the man who takes 'im down. Dead or alive!”

Annoyed, Alex tensed his body, compressing the Enogan around the creature. In doing so, its head inflated like a balloon. Amidst the severity of the situation, Momsrascal found herself unable to contain her laughter, which was replaced with coughing in an instant.

With a loud *pop*, the being's head exploded into small, harmless embers, revealing... the creature, who was apparently crouched inside as it exploded, hatching like an egg.

“Aah. What would I give for a good massage!” it exclaimed. Then it disciplined itself by speaking in a harsh foreign language and slapped itself repeatedly.

“THIS is the thing that attacked you?” Jason asked, completely skeptical.

Alex was afraid to answer.

Momsrascal slowly and cautiously lowered her sword.

“Excuse me?” she asked.

“SIR!” the creature stood at attention. There was a long pause before Momsrascal continued.

“Um... who are-”

“Forgot.” the creature shrugged, and vanished in a poof of blue smoke.

Nearly a minute went by with the heroes in stunned silence. Tenshi broke it.

“OK. What was that all abou-”

“Forgot again!”

The bird-like being suddenly appeared in Alex's face, and he yanked himself backwards with his wings to avoid a collision. Not that it would've hurt him.

“No no no! Not like that! So forgetful!” it shouted, spinning around in a corkscrew around them, “If I had a flower for every time I saw the world, I would've ended it!”

Alex's head hurt. This creature was going to end up stalling them before it started attacking. Deciding to pay it no heed until it started to pose a threat, Alex continued flying forward.

“Hey!” Momsrascal tried again, “Listen to me!”

“I have no ears. You will have to speak softer! The train, you know.” it replied, shaking its head and cupping a clawed hand to its foot.

“NAME!” she shouted, “YOUR NAME!”

It floated above them and smiled. That's it.

“WHAT IS YOUR NAME?!”

Its head spun around its neck 360 degrees.

“WHAT ARE YOU CALLED?!”

It blinked. Then it exploded. Then it started laughing so hard it had to clutch its side to prevent cramping.

“WHAT ARE YOU-” she tried, shaking a fist, but Jason pulled her arm down.

“Rasc, just-” he sighed, “Just don't. Leave it alone. Keep an eye on it, but-... ah, we're getting too distracted from this. Alex, fly faster!”

Before Alex got the chance to, however:

“That's funny!” the creature said, shaking a finger at them, “You know, that's real funny, what you've got going on there. He guesses, and she knows, and you are all nine of you wrong, and the rest are nothing but scrap metal.”

“Shut up.” Tenchi barked.

Momsrascal immediately agreed with Jason and sat back down. Tenshi and Karmadin followed suit. Neither of them took their eyes off it. Momsrascal shifted her weight around more comfortably, and after putting both swords back in their sheaths, she turned away.

Right into the creature's eyes.

“You have a nice nose, darling.”

She yelped and jumped, and the swords came back out. Karmadin was left trying to figure out how it was above them one moment and casually stretched out on Alex's back the next, enjoying the ride.

Then they heard laughter. It was Alex.

“Nice 'nose', darling?” he asked.

“I call them as I say them.” the creature responded.

Alex laughed even more.

“Of course! It's so obvious!” he said, shaking his head, “What a fool I am!”

“Checkmate! New game!” the fiery being flicked the end of its beak with a toe.

“That smarts, you know.” Alex replied, “I'll have you locked up for that.”

“Oh, you think you're so almighty, huh?” the creature turned away, crossing its arms and legs.

If they had been bewildered before, it was nothing compared to this. The heroes stared with jaws dropped, eyes wide, and arms flopping in the wind, pondering even if asking “wha-” would have any effect to this madness. Has Alex gone completely crazy now? Or was the creature mind-controlling him? The fear of Alex suddenly forgetting he had passengers and doing barrel rolls crossed their minds, and they got a tighter grip on his scales.

“You will forgive a fool for his worth, won't you?” Alex asked, humbling up.

“Not in your lifetime. They would say, 'No, Cobalt, you will never find yourself a stove.', and I always found a new pair of shoes from then on.”

Then Alex twisted his neck around. A sly smile covered his face.

“Now you know his name.” Alex whispered to the heroes, and a wave of relief washed over them. Incredibly, amidst the confusing talk and actions, Alex somehow figured out a way to communicate with it.

“Well, I say, you must know it by now!”

“I don't. Please keep it from us.” he said, shrugging.

It levitated up, cross-legged in a meditative stance.

“Your wish is my syphon.” it droned.

Karmadin and Momsrascal clutched their heads. Finally, all heroes were succumbing to headaches. All except...

“Can it wait? We're in the middle of an errand.” Alex pleaded.

It surveyed its surroundings before announcing that the master required more milk.

Jason had enough. He tapped Alex on the shoulder, making him turn around again.

“How the $^@! are you talking with him?” he demanded, his voice similar to that of a kyatt growl.

Alex knew he wasn't getting out of this one without giving an explaination. He turned to Karmadin.

“Sing “Uncle Olaf's Rolling Keg” to him while I try to explain what's going on.”

“You are KIDDING me-”

“Just do it.”

Karmadin gave Alex a strange look before hesitantly approaching the strange figure and singing somewhat off-tone. Nevertheless, the creature immediately plopped down cross-legged and started clapping to an altogether different beat. The remainder of the heroes gathered around.

“So what's it actually saying?” Tenshi asked.

“Truth told, I haven't the foggiest.” Alex replied, “The creature's completely nuts. From what I do know, though, its name is Cobalt and it's been travelling on it's own for a while.”

A round of staring made several moments pass by.

“Then how did you get this info from it?” Jason demanded.

Alex chuckled, “Exactly that. The creature's nuts.”

Another round of staring.

“But would you say it's unpredictable?” Alex asked.

“YES!” all three heroes answered. The creature whooped, and Karmadin started adding more than subtle lyrics that involved him strangling the creature where he sat.

“Then why does it speak to us in words that we understand?” he asked.

“You ever notice that about most crazy people?” Alex asked, “They may talk in total gibberish, but they are still somehow able to form complete, if not perfect, sentence structure, use pauses and punctuation properly, and even, in some cases, gesture appropriately to what they're saying despite it being total nonsense?”

The heroes, after thinking for a moment, nodded. Yeah. Come to think of it, they did.

“They don't know what they're saying, but they know exactly how to say it.” Alex declared, “That's how they communicate.”

“It doesn't talk in words.” Alex concluded, “It talks in synonymous ideas and only understands these same ideas.”

Another round of staring. Alex sighed.

“It talks in this strange, unpredictable way because it doesn't take words at face value. It uses whatever words symbolize the meaning it's trying to express. It doesn't matter what it says, so long as the idea behind each word is there. Because we talk in a more word-based format derived from direct meaning, it responds to them only in the way he knows how. Not the way that we expect. To it, we are practically changing our conversation topic with every sentence.”

“Just like it's doing with us.” Tenshi nodded.

“OK, so if you know how it talks,” Jason asked, “Then how do you talk with it? How do you convey 'synonymous ideas', and how do you constitute an idea?”

“Well, take, for instance, when you asked him his name.”

“How could be misinterpret that idea?” Momsrascal asked, “I asked 'what is your name'.”.

“Yes, but the idea behind asking a name is not directly to find out someone's name, but instead to try to warrant a response from them. “What is” signifies your desire for information, and “name” represents the individual directed at. That's why he stared at you blankly. He thought you were saying you want to ask him a question, and he was waiting for you to ask it.”

Momsrascal's ears went completely asymetrical.

“And how did you get his name from him, then?” Jason asked, “You told him to 'forgive an old fool for his worth' or something.”

“I said 'forgive an old fool for his worth, won't you'.” Alex corrected him, “The idea behind that statement was to attempt to start the conversation over from the beginning.”

Another round of staring. Alex didn't let this one last as long, though.

“Taking it word for word, I said “forgive”, which means to “overlook” or “ignore”. I wanted it to disregard something. I then interpreting myself as a fool, which in itself means “one who makes mistakes”. I was acknowledging that I was making a mistake while we conversed, and I wanted him to disregard everything we had said. I used “old” to represent “a long time”, meaning what we have been saying “for a long time”. I said “worth” to also represent my possessions, or value; in this case, what I already knew about him... which was nothing, but that didn't matter. Finally, I asked “won't you”, which signified that I wanted him to take the initiative and begin introductions. As a result, it responded by offering to “start over” and introduce itself.”

“Then it said 'not in your lifetime', which is a long time ago. 'They said no, Cobalt', apparently is what he was called when he was being disciplined, as full names are usually used for disciplining to ensure the target is listening. 'You will never find a stove', where 'never find' signifies hopelessness and 'stove' is a source of warm food. He wasn't able to find any food and was beginning to lose hope. 'I always found': no matter where he searched, and 'A new pair of shoes': the start of a journey; he has been wandering around, lost, for a long time.”

In a strange sort of way, they were beginning to understand this strange jargon now.

“Again, it doesn't matter what exactly we say, so long as I express my idea somehow.” Alex replied.

“What about its actions?” Tenshi asked, “What does...”

They observed it bouncing on its head. Karmadin wasn't even singing anymore.

“What does that mean?” he asked.

“Now that, I have no idea.” Alex replied, “It's alien to this world, so it must be some kind of gesture sequence that his native culture uses. Spinning around may signify joy, and bouncing on his head... I dunno, headache? Irritation?”

Karmadin looked over, annoyed, “Hey, YOU try singing with ash in your throat!”

Jason was nodding, “That's... that's almost deviously clever. You could almost make this into a code language and disguise it under simple jargon.”

Alex agreed.

“That's actually a very good theory. I have a feeling this creature only learned to converse like this because it was in its culture's military. They could converse with each other and give orders, but if they were captured, the enemy wouldn't be able to get anything out of them.”

“So, what do we do now?” Momsrascal asked.

“First, I think we should find out if it's really friend or foe.” he said.

The heroes nodded. Alex had a better grasp on this idea, so they will hold their silence and formulate sentences with the same sort of concepts that Alex told them.

(Reader's note; to make life easier for you, I'll write down the “translations” in square brackets. Assume that the creature is simply dancing around randomly; its actions at this point are really not that important.)

“Where did my friend go? [I want to see you.]” Alex asked.

The creature stood up, cracked his neck between his claws, and flopped over.

“Plan out a sermon yet? [What do you want to learn from me?]” it asked.

“Yes, a sermon regarding the mirror. [I want to learn about you.]” Alex replied, “Does the glass lean on the wall or the door? [Are you with us or against us?]”

“Reject my will, I shall strike you! [I do not want to harm you.]”

“Blame the vulture. It was once there. [Why did you attack me earlier.]”

“Not the vulture. The flea. [Because of your passenger.]”

Alex paused, bewildered. The heroes were trying to follow along, but evidently failing. After a quick glance and the confidence that they were not following as well as they thought, Alex went direct.

“Seriously? It hid from nothing! [You knew?]”

“Teacher, am I the universe? I cannot find the source. [I know everything! Where is he now?]”

“Look for the cooked bread. It's encased in ice. [He is gone for good.]”

“I like bread. The universe can wait if I have bread. [Good! Then everything is forgiven so long as he stays gone.]”

Jason couldn't take it anymore, “OK, what the heck are you two saying?”

The creature turned at Jason and hissed, but Alex interrupted.

“He is but a bee. Its buzzing is very noisy. [Ignore him, he doesn't know your language.]” he said, nodding, “Fill out a form and stand in line to sneeze. [Would you, for a moment, excuse us?]”

It shrugged and sat down.

Alex stretched his neck slightly, having had it curved around for several minutes, and whispered to them.

“If my interpretation is correct, and we're as lucky as we make ourselves to be, than I'd say we're about to get ourselves an unexpected ally.”

... yes. Another round of staring.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 7:40 pm 
Chat Moderator

PostPosted: October 26th, 2012, 8:50 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: paidsaint
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: who needs one?
This had to be the strangest and most confusing thing she'd ever dealt with. Momsrascal had never seen a creature like this is all of Gielinore, and where it came from, she'd probably never know. She got the feeling she didn't want to know. She was more concerned with getting out of this smog.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2012, 9:05 am 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
Don't mind me, I'm just advancing the plot.

NORTHEASTERN WILDERNESS - ABOVE THE ASH CLOUDS

“Are we still going the right way?” Momsrascal asked after an unnecessarily long silence.

Wide-eyed, Alex dipped back into the clouds. After all that excitement, he forgot he couldn't directly see where he was going. Fortunately, as he grazed the bottom of the cloud with only minor disturbance, he saw the fortress looming ahead. Even after all that, he still managed to stay the course.

But the castle was on alert. Spotlights pointed up into the sky. Despite having been chased out, the birds had served their purpose. That creature had put them on high alert with its presence.

But perhaps that was a good thing. They were on the lookout, all right. For a floating, flaming blue bird-like creature.

A faint roaring sound was heard somewhat to the west. Recognizing it instantly, Alex smiled. He had a plan of approach. He asked something to aforementioned blue bird-like creature and was rewarded with a nod (upside-down with a sideways twist, but a nod nevertheless). Then he turned his head to face the heroes.

“How long can you guys hold your breath?” he asked.

“... you're joking, right?” Momsrascal asked in between coughs.

DULCIEN"S FORTRESS - SECONDARY GUARD TOWER

Whres'asth watched the ashen clouds overhead from the guard tower. Shapes. An unlimited number of shapes, molded by the randomness of the wind and highlighted by their many search-lights jetting powerful beams of bright orange light into the sky. The wind alone helped keep the land barren and lifeless, whisking away any tree's foolish attempts at seeding in the volcanic soil. Not as though a tree would survive in the dark plains.

Trees? No! Focus! He slapped himself with a gauntlet. Why think about trees? He had to keep watch! His master was anticipating an attack, and he had to know of it as early as possible!

But that was the problem. Nothing was happening. Nothing was coming. If there was going to be an attack, it would be an army. A massive force marching forth in unison. The only way they'd be able to effectively move through the wasteland. And therefore, such a thing would be impossible to miss from a distance. From up where he stood, almost the entire wilderness stretched out before him. Any higher, and his demonic visage would be covered in ash from the clouds overhead.

He waited a long time, and slapped himself again when his eyes kept on gazing up towards the clouds. Focus on the land. Look out for the enemy army. Once he saw something; a glimmer of dull light, a faint shadow, a tree out of place, he would sound the horn. Such an occurrence had already almost happened, and he was barely able to save himself a punishment with a second glance, realizing the shape he saw was nothing but a fellow greater demon on patrol.

For a moment, he envied them. Sure, it was more work to move around, but at least they were moving around. Changing scenery. Making good use of their time. He, however, was confined to the tall, thin watchtower hardly large enough for him to stand in a comfortable posture. If his armor wasn't touching the wall to his left, it scraped the wall to his right. He even had to stick his tail out of the battlements behind him for that extra space. He tried for a while to simply balance on top of the battlements, but such an action was frowned upon as being “immature” by his fellow demons.

Immature! Hah! Let them be gathered up there for hours and see what they do!

Just his luck he had to be one of the best sets of eyes the legion has known. If only he was a bit smaller, or they accommodated for a demon of his stature. Sure, his leader was powerful and merciless; qualities he simply enjoyed in a leader, but he could've been at least a little considerate. Throw a massive greater demon in a tower fit for a single human just because it's got better eyes.

But it was still an order from the great one, and he had to carry it out, keeping his complaints under hushed breath among his comrades. It was this loyalty alone that allowed him to cope with it.

Still, though, he wished something interesting happened. He was getting annoyed at having to slap himself repeatedly because he was gazing randomly at the highlighted sky rather than where he was ordered to watch. What was it about the clouds, anyways, that made them so appealing. Maybe it was just the lights-

*CRASH! ROOAAAAAR!*

Wish granted. It was either unholy appreciation or karma. The western wall, initially holding nothing but a station of smaller, less able guards than himself, was now playing host to a slew of three vicious black dragons, frantically tearing at each other in a civil war. Squinting slightly, he noticed a large chunk of something meaty in the midst of the chaos.

He sighed. He was thankful for the interesting change of scenario, but was annoyed it was merely the commonplace hassle of chasing away black dragons. It wasn't the first time they took to the walls to settle their savage, internal disputes. For a moment, two of the searchlights enveloped the battle scene, but deciding it was a mere natural occurrence, they returned to scanning the skies.

He glanced sideways for a moment to watch the hassle. The guards keeping the wall were yelling and waving their arms. Fools, he thought with a gleeful grin, that's not how you shoo away dragons. However, as much as he enjoyed the incompentance, the dragons were going to provide a greater distraction than the clouds, and with the entire western wall's defences focused on such a miniscule threat, they were vulnerable regardless of the watch.

That was all the reason he needed to abandon the post. Would only take a minute. Taking one more quick glance towards the south, he stretched out his great, leathery wings and leapt from the tower towards the wall.

He landed softly and trotted towards the trio. Many demons liked to wear weighted boots over their hooves to stamp their opponents down, but he found that such gear made it painful to perform maneuvers like he just did. Easier to stay alive when he could move, he figured, and so long as he was alive, he could bring more death than the occasional event where a good hard kick would be enough to fell an opponent.

Immediately he was thankful that he was no longer cramped in the tower, and took a moment to shake out his muscles before charging towards the dragons with his long, cleaver-like sword out. One of them roared at him, and he charged undeterred. Unlike the guards, he had no fear of the living flame.

“BEAT IT!” he roared, whacking the dragon with the dull end of the blade. As much as he enjoyed cutting heads off, this wasn't the first time this had happened, and during that time, two dragons lost their lives to impatient guards such as himself. This resulted in a large, bloody mess that had to have been cleaned up, or else the patrol would've been hindered. It was much better for them all that the dragons took their mess with them.

It hissed and blew flames at him, which he countered by taking the blast with his large, flat shoulder blades. The guards were cheering him on. He was relieved that he wasn't the only bored guard in the fortress.

The dragon with the meat snapped at the third dragon, which bellowed a blast of flame in response. It leapt out of the way, carrying the meat with it, and the first dragon gave chase, ignoring their fourth contender. The meat dragon, backed against the wall, held out its spade-bladed tail in defence, threatening a slashing.

For a moment, there was a stare-off, and Whres'asth took full advantage of it. After making a quick glance towards the horizon, putting his job as priority one, he allowed his focus towards the situation. The way those two dragons were eying the third together, he figured they must be in unison with each other. The third dragon must've stolen the meat from them and attempted to flee, or else they wouldn't have chosen the wall as their battleground. He slowly slid into position. Take out the thief, and the other two will leave. In a way, he was even doing an act of righteousness.

How he wanted to just cleave all their heads off and snack on their own meat. But orders are orders.

He went for the one with the meat, as did the other two. The dragon closest to the demon leapt as a diversion while the other went for the meat. The distraction worked; while the meat-carrier swung its tail around to counter the first, the second got a good grip on the morsel. As the first one reared back from having its face slammed, the second one tugged as hard as it could, whipping its head back and forth. Such a tugging stretched out the morsel dragon's charred, spiny neck, leaving it vulnerable. The demon smiled gleefully as he swung his sword down upon it. Blade or not, a blow to the spine like that would be enough to down a dragon in a single strike.

Sensing the danger, the morsel thief released the meat and pulled back, and Whres'asth's blade slammed into the ground. The first dragon took an interest in Whres'asth again and charged at him with its head down. He spun around, widened his stance, and stamped forward, meeting the dragon's horns with his own.

“GRRAAAAH!” he roared, pushing the dragon back. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the second dragon ram at the third with the meat in its maw. The victim was caught on its horns, and the dragon heaved the thief right over the battlements and into the courtyard. After a moment's silence, he heard it slam onto the ground with a bone-breaking crunch. A dragon falling from that height like that: no chance of survival.

Whres'asth gritted his teeth and heaved the dragon over, twisting his body around and forcing the dragon to veer off to its left. Such a motion caused it to slip, and with an added burst of effort, it was hurled into the second dragon. But just like he anticipated, they turned tail and ran. They had their meat, and accepting the danger that was the mighty Whres'asth, they spread their wings and leapt off the battlement, taking to the sky and flying off into the ash clouds.

A fellow demon, Frahs'asth, dashed onto the scene and took a quick situation report from Whres'asth. He kept it quick and simple; hassle against three dragons, chased two off, left the third to die from its injuries. Grateful for something to do, he told him he would supervise the cleanup in the courtyard and leapt down to ensure the dragon's death. Whres'asth simply nodded; the greedy ash-biter would probably eat the whole thing itself. Frahs'asth leapt down, and as he scanned the tower for damage, he heard a loud slicing sound.

How about that? His counterpart was actually slicing it up. Perhaps they'll all feast on black dragon stew tonight.

And just as suddenly as something happened, all was calm and right with the world again. Without saying a word to the awed guards and once again taking advantage of his decision to not wear weighted boots, he nimbly leapt right back into his tower, scanning over the horizons. The event took no more than 30 seconds, and in that time, nothing had happened in the distance. Not what he would've called a break, but he was thankful for it nevertheless.

He breathed deep. Quelling a civil conflict felt strangely good. For a moment, he even thought he smelled charcoal. Just like home.

Maybe this feeling was why those no-good heroes devoted themselves to such a selfless ambition.

... whatever.

DULCIEN"S FORTRESS - COURTYARD BETWEEN WESTERN WALLS AND FORTRESS

The demon's head thudded to the ground before disintegrating to a pile of black, charred ash. Alex, now in suit-of-armor form, morphed the large mace back into his arm and out of the broken pile of old bones. Momsrascal cleaned her own swords off from the blood, Karmadin recovered his crossbow bolt, and Jason resheathed his own. Poor Tenshi, who didn't get a chance to do anything to the demon, instead settled on stretching and exchanging the ash-filled air in his lungs with something slightly more tolerable. In the shadows of the courtyard, they scanned their surroundings, looking for a way in, or a possible means of doing so.

Taking advantage of the moment of silence, Alex began rubbing the blood out of the underside of his visor.

“Affinity or not, that's the last time I'm doing something like that.” he muttered miserably.

“I couldn't see because we were inside your skin,” Jason said, “But what exactly happened?”

“I snatched a fresh kill from a couple of black dragons.” Alex explained, “Lured them onto the wall, and let them ram me into the courtyard. Make it look like a bunch of black dragons going savage over meat.”

“And you smashed those bones to make it sound like you hit the ground hard.” Karmadin observed, looking at the mess.

“Yeah.” Alex nodded.

“We can't stay here.” Tenshi said, “They'll find the armor and come looking for us. And I'm not hauling it with us.”

“Agreed. We'll have to be quick.” Jason replied. He scanned the courtyard once more before pointing out a single door to the left-most side of the interior cliff-edge. Probably for a guard service passage, for distributing food and weapons (hardly a task worth using the main doors for).

“All right.” Alex agreed, “Let's do it.”

PostPosted: December 6th, 2012, 2:25 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
When they came out of the tunnel(which lasted for only a few minutes) they saw a black wisp seem to fly around two black demons which then both sank to the floor and turned to ash before hitting, not making a sound. Skyrate, Timrak, and Natalya were faintly visible in the shadows behind the demons after the ash cleared.

Skyrate motioned and Alex led the heroes over, "Good disguise, Alex." he said and then produced a smaller version of the map he showed the heroes before.

"We're here. We have to go through these Seven gates before we can reach Dulcien's sanctum.

Momsrascal looked up and towards the center of the fortress. "I didn't notice that spire before." In the center of the fortress, corresponding with the triangular part on Skyrate's map, was a triangular tower that slowly spiraled its way up.

"How will we ever find him in there?" She asked as she stood for a moment in stunned awe of the tower.

"There must be thousands of tunnels and passages in that thing." Tenshi said.

"It is hollow." Skyrate said.

"What?" Tenshi asked, very surprised.

"It's an arena, not a tower. It is also his throne room." Skyrate continued.

"Well let's get to it." Alex said. While the shear mass of it did pique his craftsman's curiosity, he knew this was no time for examinations for craft's sake.

Skyrate nodded and then led the heroes along the foot of the inner walls and through passages and shadows. Some of the passages even surprised Alex, who occasionally thought Skyrate was leading them to a place to hide for a moment when in fact it was another passage.

"How does he know this place so well?" Tenshi asked quietly to Momsrascal who was infront of him.

"I don't know. Maybe he's been here before. He's Skyrate." she replied.

"Maybe he has..." Tenshi said. Karmadin, who was behind him, heard this but said nothing.

"There, this is the fifth door. The next two will require fighting. We cannot sneak passed them." Skyrate said.

They entered and hid in the shadows. Up until now only Alex, Skyrate, and Natalya had drawn their weapons, though they had re-sheathed them.
"Draw. One at a time. Down the line. Quietly."

They were lined up as follows: Skyrate, Natalya, Alex, Jason, Momsrascal, Tenshi, Karmadin, and Timrak.
Skyrate drew one Katanna,
Natalya readied a hand crossbow,
Alex got his spear,
Jason drew the Scaarz-Got and got a crystal seed ready,
Momsrascal drew her swords,
Tenshi whipped out his sword from Lior

*CLIIINNNGGGGGG* It seemed like the loudest sound any of them had ever heard, though it was really barely more than a tap. In Tenshi's anxious haste he had hit the stone wall next to him while drawing his sword.

One of the Black demons in the center of the area looked over. Skyrate didn't even give a command, he was out of their cover and fighting in a flash. The other heroes followed suit and Karmadin and Natalya leaned against the wall and fired.

"On the walls." Karmadin heard in his head.

"Gah!" He said as he grasped his head and shook it.

A hand grasped his shoulder and he looked up. It was Natalya and he heard the voice again, "Shoot the Vyrevolves on the walls." Realizing now that it was an ally and not an evil trick in his head he started to follow the order and take out the vyrevolves that lined the courtyard wall.

The heroes soon had the black demons down in the courtyard but hundreds of vyrvolves began dropping in from the sky. Soon Karmadin had to drop his bow and take up his sword. Natalya fought with a Dragon short sword in one hand and a hand crossbow in the other.

They soon heard a screech and all the vyrvolves(those that remained alive) darted off into the sky towards the direction that should be south. Karmadin picked up his bow and took aim at the fleeing vyrevolves but he heard, "No, do not bother them." in his head.

The heroes regrouped at the next door.

"What happened? Why did they suddenly leave?" Momsrascal said to Skyrate while frantically searching the skies. Vyrvevolves filled the air above them, as did their hideous screeches. Jason, Momsrascal, Tenshi, and Karmadin clasped their hands over their ears to muffle the noise. It didn't help much though. The other 4 seem unaffected, though Natalya and Alex kept their eyes fixed on the sky, watching droves of vyrevolves fly above them. All of them were heading south and didn't notice the many dead bodies in the courtyard with the Heroes.

"The Navy has arrived." Skyrate said after the screeching had subsided enough for Momsrascal to take her hands off her ears.

Ocean South of Dulcien's Fortress

"Those underwater rock walls are working well in our favour, now that Michael and Elise have raised them. Their artillery is unable to reach us." Said the first Mate of Calytha's Flagship.
"Bring the navy in. We must pull as much attention as possible." She commanded.
"Yes, Ma'am." the mate replied promptly and started shouting orders.

On Darkrascal's ship...

"Captain, the Elduvian ship says to move in. Should we?" Darkrascal's first mate asked.
"Of course! What are you doing standing here asking me if we should do something?! We're the left flank of the Navy. If they say move we move, now MOVE!
"Yes'sarm!"

"Captain, Vyrevolves at 3 O'Clock!"
"Archers! Mages!" Darkrascal shouted and archers and mages flooded the deck.

Underwater....

"Good job Elise, those walls will give our ships a fighting chance. Now, how about a game of toss?" Michael said. He then picked up a boulder about the size of Elise and hurled it out of the ocean and it slammed into a vyrevolve in mid air, who promptly plummeted into the ocean. Elise began following suit with slightly smaller rocks. Being an earth Elemental certainly had its benefits she thought.

Dulcien's Fortress, Second to last Courtyard

"This is the last courtyard. It will likely be much more heavily guard than this one was. Once we open this door we'll have to fight. The door on the opposite side of this courtyard leads directly to Dulcien's Sanctum. Under no circumstances should any of you open the door to Dulcien's Sanctum." Skyrate warned.

Skyrate still only had one katanna out. Jason had sung his seed into a shield. Natalya unclipped her second crossbow from her belt and loaded a new clip into her first one. Tenshi made sure to keep his blade away from the wall. Timrak had drawn his sword right after Tenshi hit the wall previously.

The fight with Dulcien will be massive(though the heroes still have one courtyard to go before they reach him). They'll meet him in my next post.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2012, 11:50 pm 
Chat Moderator

I just decided I don't want Cobalt to fight with Dulcien after all, so I'm going to get rid of him the only way I know how:

By means of awesome.

Get ready. Things are about to get very, very interesting.

DULCIEN'S FORTRESS - FINAL COURTYARD

Alex scanned his surroundings. The attention was mostly on the navy now, which meant that they had no time to linger. However, he didn't doubt some attention wasn't going to focus on them. They would have to get in fast, strike hard, and keep the alarm to a minimum. Best case scenario; they take down all enemies and make it to the sanctum without alerting any more attention. Worst case: they are deemed the larger threat and are immediately surrounded.

“Stay near the walls.” Alex advised, “But don't go against them. We don't want them to surround us, but we also don't want to get cornered.”

The group approached the large, fore-boarding obsidian doors. They were very thick and heavy, and the large padlock on the front fastened between two giant hooks meant the only way in was forcibly.

“We'll split into three groups.” Skyrate instructed, “Cover each other's backs. Timrak, Natalya, and I will keep to the shadows on the left atop the wall, getting around the enemy. Alex and Tenshi take the right, and Karmadin follows behind. Momsrascal and Jason follow us to the left, but hang back and keep yourselves separate from my group so you draw the attention away from us.”

Momsrascal groaned as she shifted into position with everyone else.

“Just so we're clear: in 30 seconds, I want us in a triangular formation surrounding the courtyard.” Skyrate summarized. The heroes understood. They readied themselves.

“Hey, Alex.” Tenshi whispered, “What happened to that bird thing?”

“I told it to hold back and give us air support should things get dicey.” Alex whispered back, “The fact that he's kept himself hidden all this time is pretty impressive.”

“But what if he bailed out on us?” Tenshi asked.

“Doesn't matter.” Alex replied, “We weren't expecting him as an ally anyways. So long as he doesn't rain fire on us, I don't really care what he does to pass the time.”

“At the ready?” Skyrate asked, and Alex and Tenshi snapped back to attention. He got seven nods.

With a powerful blast of energy, the doors were blasted open, and the smoke was barely able to start clearing when all eight heroes dove in with weapons out at the ready. Alex took a brief moment in mid-air to analyze the surroundings. From what he could see through the smoke, the courtyard seemed to stretch nearly the size of the Tower of the Star's courtyard. The ground was a dark, onyx-colored tile, messily interleaved and missing whole patches from small craters that likely resulted from powerful bursts of magic.

It was surrounded by a fairly low wall; high enough to climb quickly provided there weren't any distractions and low enough to jump down from without hurting himself. The wall itself was covered in thorny stone barricades from both sides to keep the occupants covered should they be attacking or defending the courtyard.

Their timing and coordination was flawless. Alex and Tenshi had their weapons out, back to back, covering Karmadin who held his bow up and ready to fire. Skyrate, Timrak, and Natalya leapt up the left wall, and Jason and Momsrascal covered their ascent while covering each other's shoulders from both sides. All 8 heroes leapt out of the smoke cloud, stormed into the courtyard...

And right into a platoon of almost 4 dozen black demons, lined in a crescent atop and below the wall on the other end of the courtyard, all aiming crossbows with bolts larger than their legs right at them. In front, a large group of vyrevolves charged forth once they had their long-desired visual.

Alex didn't even think. Reaching out with majiya, he yanked the great doors behind them off their hinges, flung them forward, and slammed them upright into the ground in front of their two groups just in time to take a volley of shots so powerful they nearly disintegrated.

“Suppress them!” Skyrate barked.

Karmadin and Natalya opened fire and Alex hurled blasts of lightning at the demons. But despite their comrades falling one by one, the demons rushed their reload and began charging forward. They were not one bit afraid to die. The second volley came at them, and they were forced behind their crumbling improvised cover.

Listening carefully, Alex timed his attack from behind the cover. Once the first vyrevolf's head appeared from in front, his spear went right through its head. The second one was dashing so fast it literally clambered overtop its fallen ally and leapt forward, spinning in the air and frantically scratching its claws on the tiled ground to get back at Alex. Instead, Timrak lunged at it and cleaved its skull in half with his sword, slamming the ground underneath. Fortunately, making loud clinging noises was no longer a concern.

Another duo of vyrevolves jumped over the cover. Alex caught one by propping his spear upwards and letting the vyrevolf skewer itself into the weapon. Ducking to the side, Alex grabbed the shaft of his weapon sticking out the other end of the volf, yanked it clean through, and slammed the hilt down on the second vyrevolf's leg, trapping it for Timrak to decapitate it with a powerful uppercut.

Momsrascal caught a vyrevolf with her swords crossed in front and thrust them apart, slicing its jawline. Two more came in from both sides, and knowing she wasn't alone, she jumped to the left and focused her attention on one. It leapt at her with claws and teeth out, but she had the reach with her swords. One crossed in front to catch both claws, and the other went upwards through its jaw, ending it. As expected, she heard a loud crunching sound as Jason smashed his blade against the other vyrevolf's helmeted skull.

“Volley!” they heard Skyrate shout from midway up the wall behind them. Thinking fast, Jason dove back behind cover while hurling the vyrevolf corpse at Momsrascal, who caught it with her own corpse and held them both outstretched in front of her.

*THAPPA-THAPPA-THAPPA!*

It was sheer dumb luck that the bodies and their armor were enough to stop the shots. Freeing her swords and heaving the weight aside, Momsrascal retreated back to the cover.

Skyrate's group barely made it to the top of the wall when it was suddenly covered by vyrevolves, coming from the courtyard and the surrounding skies. It was fortunate that they decided to stick together; the wall confined the enemy enough to make them manageable and provided them cover for the longer ranged enemies. Slowly, they cleaved through the charging masses.

The ground was an entirely different story, however. The demons had scattered themselves, trying to get around the cover. Forced back by the overwhelming advance, the heroes had to pull back behind the cover. The triangle in 30 seconds just wasn't going to happen.

Alex pulled his spear free from the two vyrevolves he somehow managed to impale at once, but he was forced back down to cover. Two groups came around from either side and dashed at them.

He had no choice. There was just too many coming at them.

“Cover me!” Alex shouted. He crouched behind the thickest part of the cover and focused his energy to his symbol. He hoped a minor spirit-summon would help even the odds here. Just like his spell-summon, it was a gamble at the expense of a sizable chunk of his energy. Nevertheless, he would be calling forth extra hands. Helpful or not, if they could at least distract the enemy for a bit, it might give them a chance to regain their momentum.

*THUNK!*

But it couldn't be done! Alex instinctively leapt into a roll as a large bolt cleaved its way through the cover, missing Alex's head by inches. His focus lost, he reequipped his spear and regained his footing.

Four vyrevolves sailed over the cover in an overwhelming blitz; all of them with a sword either in their claws or their teeth. On either side, Jason and Timrak caught the two on the sides, and Alex charged forward with his spear. He dove to the left, spinning his spear upwards and clashing it against the sword one vyrevolf had in its mouth. Unable to overwhelm it from his current foundation, Alex let the creature pass over him, and instead drove the hilt of the weapon into the other vyrevolf. It struck the side of its shoulder and threw it off-centre, and it crashed onto the ground.

It was quick to rise back to its feet, but its ally was quicker. Alex swapped grips on his spear and drove the tip forward towards the first vyrevolf, who nimbly leapt to the right in an attempt to catch Alex in between them. Alex tried a second jab, but it jumped back. Jason, already occupied with his own three opponents, managed to twirl his sword around at the volf to momentarily get its attention, and Alex took advantage of the moment to regain his footing and morph his free hand into the same spiky mace he once used against Dulcien.

The second vyrevolf attacked, and Alex fended it back with his spear shaft. The beast turned its side to take the expected blow of the mace with its armor, but Alex never swung it. Instead, he spun it over his head like a flail and it spat out large, glowing balls of energy like a fountain into the air around them, where they hung in place. The attack complete, Alex's hand reverted back to normal and gripped the spear with enough force to yank the volf over and upside down.

*PWAACK!*

A large crossbow bolt pierced through his shoulder, partially splashing his enogan material around. Even if Skyrate called it, he didn't hear the warning, so he had no idea it was coming. He felt it as though it pierced his skin, and his flinching was enough for the volf to roll back onto its side and, sliding forward, sink its teeth into Alex's leg.

*PHZZAP!*

Running a strong electric current through himself, Alex fried the vyrevolf in a heartbeat before it could follow up by impaling him with a dagger. Cringing with pain, he stringed out his leg a bit so it passed out of the dead creature's petrified jaw without causing scrapping. Not that it mattered to enogan, anyways. To ensure the beast was dead, Alex double-tapped it by flipping his spear around in one hand and driving the tip right into its spine.

Not forgetting the first vyrevolf, Alex yanked his spear out and dove to Jason's side, landing in a roll, impaling one volf in the back, and heaving it around to throw at another of Jason's targets. To follow it up, Alex coordinated his earlier fountain of energy into the air and with a downward thrust of his palm, the dozens of bright shining balls of energy arced up and rained down upon the demons. Despite the small blasts of electric energy blowing away tiles and dirt, only three of the demons took any damaging. They were just too well-armoured.

He turned back to the battlefield just in time to see six more vyrevolves flying right at him. Two more giant bolts whizzed by his head after he ducked down. Unfortunately, their covered was so whittled down that he had to crouch down on his knees just to keep his head from being a target. Jason, having completed his hustle, ducked down with him, and were quickly joined by Momsrascal, Timrak, and Karmadin.

His mind raced. Was there anything he could do? He could barely keep up with two of the creatures under cover against all this demon-fire, and now he had to take on six with their cover on its last legs. He didn't have time to focus on a spirit-summon, and any more discharges like that would hinder him for the battle to come.

His thoughts trailed back to that creature named Cobalt he met in the sky. He had told the creature to stay hidden and he would signal it if he needed the assist, but that was really just to make sure it didn't start any more trouble for them. He wasn't at all intending on giving the signal after all. Now, he was driven to the point where he dared to actually fulfill this promise. This was an even worse gamble than the Spirit-Summon; he had no idea what the creature would do once it figured it was allowed to go berserk.

Maybe Alex had a strong gambling spirit, or maybe he just figured himself lucky. Either way, he didn't think any more on it. With as much effort as he could muster, Alex heaved his spear straight up and slammed the end of the hilt down onto the tiled floor thrice. Three loud, rapid *PANG* sounds were heard by all.

And before the echo could return to them:

*CRRWWWEEEEEYYAAAAAAAAAAR!*

An explosion of light erupted overhead as the skies suddenly burst into a maelstrom of bright blue fire that lit the fortress ground to the brightness of day. Its raging fury stunned everybody in the courtyard, and before they had a chance to catch their breath, the courtyard was hailed upon by giant fireballs that crashed with the force of meteors, tearing away at the ground and leaving great charred craters in their wake.

The demons regrouped and turned their crossbows to the air, and the vyrevolves already in the air dove back to the ground to avoid getting fried by the maelstrom.

The six vyrevolves that were bearing on the heroes suddenly disappeared in a flash of light. A loud series of *SPLATS* were heard a split-second later on the wall behind him, and Alex shuddered to even think about looking. Instead, he focused on the enemies ahead. He had to admit, the strange creature was giving them good support.

But Cobalt was not about to settle for just that.

It flickered through the battlefield at blazing speeds. Sometimes there appeared to be a dozen of it, and sometimes it seemed to vanish entirely. All the while, it was either laughing maniacally, singing in an unknown language, or babbling in the heroes direction about book covers and turtles.

When it did appear, there was death in the most extreme ways imaginable. It threw a vyrevolf into the air and, with whip-like arms, tore it apart into two large piles of giblets on either side before it could land. He tore off a demon's chest plate, melted it into a slab of molten metal in a flash, and slapped it on the demon's face where it stuck and suffocated it. It tossed a vyrevolf into the air and spun its tails around into its torso so fast that they sliced it into thin slices as it fell, which were then set on fire and thrown like flaming discs at other enemies.

Cobalt rocketed at one demon so fast it didn't even have time to raise its weapon in defence. It jammed both claws into the demon's mouth and pried it open twice as far as it should've gone with a sickening cracking sound. Partially melting into a lava-like fluid, Cobalt leapt up and literally dove into the demon's mouth in the blink of an eye. Its body burst into uncontrollable blue flame that fried it inside its armor, and it could do nothing but scream as its arms, no longer in its control, routinely shot and reloaded its crossbow against its own comrades.

Two vyrevolves and four other demons fell before the victim exploded on its own into ashes and fragments of metal armor, revealing the twirling, upside-down Cobalt, caught up in a dance of some kind. Immediately, it was enveloped in a whirling twister of molten stone as the ground erupted around it and rose into the air.

Alex didn't dare try to get its attention. Tell it to watch for the crossbow-wielding enemies behind it. Tell it to stop and have some mercy on said enemies. He had fought the creatures before, and he had fought this particular one before, but this was nothing like he had ever seen. For the first time in a long time, Alex felt a pang of fear well up in him.

The remainder of the enemy force surrounded the twister, keeping a distance. They fired bolts and threw rocks, but it only seemed to make the twister spin faster. However, just by looking how the core of the storm was beginning to glow a piercing white, everybody knew exactly what was going to happen in the next 5 seconds.

“Take cover!” Skyrate yelled.

Nobody needed second telling. Skyrate's group dove behind the barricades on the wall and the rest of them made do with whatever cover they had left of the obsidian doors. For extra safety, Alex moulded most of his body into a large, curved plate and stretched it around them like a shell. None of their enemies had cover. Their mistake.

*SHA-BOOOOOOOOM!*

Alex felt the heat off his shield and was pushed back several inches. Above them, the sky was completely obscured by a blast of devastating inferno. For what felt like an eternity, they crouched as low as they could possibly go, trying to will themselves to go deeper into the ground.

And just as suddenly as it happened, it stopped. The blast was so bright that none of them could see for the first few moments. Aside from the low, dust-kicking gusts of wind, there wasn't a sound to be heard around them. Even the sounds of battle on the sea seemed to have halted, giving way to scary, uncomfortable silence.

Alex peeked out from above his shield and was presented by a gigantic cloud of smoke that prevented him from seeing his hand in front of his face. Confident that there wasn't going to be any more, he shook off the ashen char and morphed his shield back into his arm. Gradually, it began to disperse, and with some coughing and covering their mouths with handkerchiefs or parts of clothing, the heroes rose at the ready again in case anything survived the final burst.

But it wasn't necessary. Not only did Cobalt destroy everything in the courtyard; he destroyed the courtyard itself. The crumbling walls leaned backwards, exposing several holes and gaps in the stonework, and Skyrate's group were forced to jump down because they were unable to traverse them. What was left of the tile-work dotted the edges of the giant, ash-filled crater. Bits of metal and splinters were splattered against the walls, and there wasn't a single physical body or bone to be found anywhere. There was nothing left of the courtyard doors or the hundreds of bolts that were once embedded in it; they had served their purpose twice over.

And when the smoke finally settled, they saw the creature lay peacefully on its side in the middle of the courtyard. It was curled up with its knees to its head and its wings overtop like a blanket, and its flaming blue skin was dimmed down to a flickering glow.

And it was snoring loudly.

The heroes slowly regrouped in a stunned silence. That was beyond what any of them were expecting. The world around them was incredibly quiet, and just their footsteps alone were enough to make Momsrascal flinch. After several moments, they began to hear the sounds of cannonfire and yelling in the distance, and a chorus of dragon roars echoed from several miles away.

Finally, Skyrate broke the silence by grabbing Alex by the collar and heaving the enogan warrior right at his chest. Everyone jumped.

“WHAT... the... #@!%ING... @$!%... was THAT?” Skyrate almost screamed at Alex. As much as he wanted to, he didn't dare try to stick his blade into the creature's brain to end that potential for world annihilation, so he had to get his rage out somewhere.

“I... DON'T... KNOW!” Alex answered in the same tone and volume. He was just as petrified as the rest of them. Not just at what they had witnessed and not just at the thought that this was all his fault, but at the sheer possibility this yelling was going to wake the creature up and start the chaos all over again.

A civil conflict was only going to cripple the heroes, so Skyrate released him without another word. Besides, it wasn't as though he backstabbed any of them. Aside from a few wounds and burns to share, none of them were in any serious conditions.

The heroes stared at the sleeping creature for what seemed like an eternity.

“Should we... wake it up?” Momsrascal asked.

“Yeah, uh... no. Let's not.” Karmadin unanimously voted.

They walked around Cobalt, giving him a very large, safe distance, and approached the foreboding sanctum doors. They never seemed so far away.

“Like it or not, it did just save our hides,” Alex mused aloud, shaking his leg out to null most of the pain, “And not only that, but we're also still in pretty good condition for the battle that matters.”

Skyrate took a deep breath. There was a buzzing of agreement among the warriors.

“He's right.” he said, relaxing, “We've got more pressing matters on focus on at the moment. Heroes, at the ready!”

The event was thrown in the back of their minds. Their weapons were out, and they regained their combat focus. Skyrate stepped in front of the large sanctum doors. They were even bigger than the courtyard doors, with and greater frame and even more intricate carvings, and were no doubt much thicker and heavier. It was going to take some effort just to get them open.

But not nearly as much for what lay ahead for them.

UNDERWATER

A glimmer of light through the murky waters attracted her attention. Fearing they were finally being attacked, Elise held her fire and looked towards the source. There didn't immediately seem to be anything approaching, but there was a flickering sort of light flashing in the shapeless fog.

“Taking a break?” Michael taunted, launching a boulder into the air, “You're not going to beat my hit-count at that rate!”

Elise ignored him. There was something in the water, reflecting light at them. It could be a spell or an underwater enemy, like a shark.

Then she saw it.

“Hey, Michael.” Elise piped up, “Look at that!”

Michael sighed, “I'm not falling for that. You're trying to distract me so you can raise your kill count.”

“No, I'm serious!” she whispered pointing, “Look!”

Deciding to shame on her if she really was trying to trick him, Michael briefly glanced. However, to his surprise, he was rewarded with physical proof that she did indeed see something interesting in the murky waters.

A large, smooth, round shape was drifting slowly through the water, drifting through the salt water. Judging by how it moved offset the current flow, they figured it had to be alive. The light was reflecting off its shining, transparent skin, and its only sign of movement was its long, finned tail flipping up and down, pushing it forth. Sometimes its four legs pushing out from below its body, twirling it around to turn it slightly. Slowly and gradually, it sunk down several yards away from them until finally settling down at the foot of the first few protruding underwater mountains.

Michael charged up an earth spell and waited to see what it would do. But the creature lazily passed them by, and he lowered his hand.

“Probably just a sea monster or something.” he shrugged, “Never seen them before because we're hardly ever down here.”

Elise slowly nodded, but then spoke up again.

“Yeah, but... don't you think it looks familiar to you?”

Michael looked again. It was sinking below a large crevice made from a volcano splitting open underneath the surface of the water. A small cloud of black mud was kicked up below it.

“Forget it.” Michael said, turning his attention back to the air, “It's ignoring us. Focus now.”

Elise agreed, peering over one last time after one more distraction. Then, deciding that the dull grey flashing coming from the crevice was all in her mind, she focused extra-hard on trying to beat Michael's kill count.

???

Analyzing current scenario:

Alliance - attacking party: based primarily of scattered naval forces. One flagship, two primary ships, several support frigates. Attack pattern focused primarily on long-ranged capabilities. Defence pattern mainly armor reliant. Heavier ships complement longer ranges.

Alliance - stealth party: based on small elite force. Utilizes small size to confuse and undermine enemy while enemy discards as threat compared to fleet. Strategic advantage based on strength behind stealth party; deviated defences may permit weaknesses that prove fatal through exploitation.

Enemy - land-hewn fortress: based on extensive naval defensive measures both applied and provided. Cannons; mainly portable. Used to focus on directional force. Negative consequence a considerably poor range, despite commonplace land defence tactic of devoted long-ranged capabilities. Unable to fully utilize in long-range bombardment scenario.

Enemy – air-based militia: based on fleet of several small infantry opponents. Good evasive measures against poor naval anti-air capabilities. Can also overwhelm and potentially conquer ships, turning them against naval fleet. Fully utilized in long-range bombardment scenario.

Synopsis – alliance unable to approach fortress due to coordinated naval defences. Possible motive; to exhaust air forces until possible substantial push. Tactic ineffective; air forces overwhelming and crippling.

New synopsis; attack fully relied on stealth party. Naval fleet primary objective to divert main forces from land. Air forces a primary threat for detecting and confronting stealth group. Utilizing attractive large-scale weakness proves advantageous. Tactic effective.

Analyzing present situation:

Naval forces midway through bombardment run. Ammunition still plentiful. Given current attack rate and disregarding opposing influence, provided distraction may continue for approximately twenty-one minutes, thirty-three seconds.

Caution: enemy air forces gathering for massive assault. Forming groups for precision attacks. Keeping focus through smaller sacrificial parties. Calculating flight vectors... given best-case reaction timing, ships will be assaulted and overwhelmed in approximately six minutes, twenty-nine seconds.

Initiating anti-air support measures. Time delay; five minutes, forty-six seconds.

Preparing now...

NORTHERN PLATEAU – SITE OF THE MAHJARRAT RITUAL

Last time he was there with Alex, he had bundled himself up with furs thick enough to insulate himself against the bone-crumbling breath of Ice Strykewyrms, but despite the furious winds and relentless chill of the weather, he found himself considerably warm during the watch. Deciding that he wasn't going to be there for quite as long this time, he bundled up with a lighter set of leather. Specially treated cow hide, sewn together with thin steel wire to cover up the majority of his limbs, wrapped together with several bands of what he guessed was fox fur (he found it in Alex's workshop, guessing it was some kind of herblore ingredient).

Viewing his reflection in the ocean as he sailed over it, Nuli thought he looked a bit like a fremennik with the garb. He wondered if they would accept him as one of their own if he wandered over.

Under cover of darkness, he landed in the deep snow and kept his head down, taking shelter behind a large cluster of rocks that removed him from view of the nearby fortress. The relic marker stood right in front, about a 30 second dash away, illuminated by nothing but the one candlelit window on the upper floor. Despite the light, the window appeared lifeless.

Around him, he smelled the stench of rancid meat, and it wasn't long before he caught a glimpse of the source. With green flames for eyes, the undead watchers of the cold scoured the field on bony rotting legs, keeping an eye out for any intruders.

Nuli frowned as he peeked out from behind the rock to get a closer look. Zombie Broavs? Why undead pigs, he wondered? Did they actually maintain their sense of smell after death?

He had not seen them before during the ritual. By what it appeared, they were on some kind of roundabout pattern, so they couldn't be there because of a simple curse. They had to be the ground keepers to the site, risen to supervise the battlefield and prevent tampering during the 500 year wait for the next fight. He would have to avoid them; stay upwind, and work his way around the marker. Like a hunter keeping out of detection from its pray.

A sudden loud snorting from behind made him leap. Caught with his back against the rock, he found himself staring eye to eye with a Broav that took a keen interest in him. Or rather, it was there to begin with; he just didn't see it because he was too focused on the surrounding area. Holding his breath, Nuli could do nothing but stare in fear as the Broav eyed him down, illuminating his body with a pale green light. It stepped back, gave one loud snort...

And then it wandered off, taking more interest in a nearby tree husk.

Nuli was confused. Surely if it was a watcher, it would've seen him as an intruder. It should've squealed an alarm, or held fast and kept him within sight as backup arrived, or at least cast a teleportation or binding spell on him or something.

Nuli watched as it repeated the same motions with the tree, decided it was equally as uninteresting as a White Dragon, and disappeared behind the rock Nuli had previously hidden behind. His senses refined from the sudden adrenaline rush, he could then swear he heard a distant roaring carried by the wind. A familiar sound.

Dragons! There were dragons nearby. So that's why it ignored him. They were apparently not “set” to consider dragons, in general he imagined, to be a threat. They were natural creatures, and for some, this was perhaps their natural habitat. No sense in calling an alarm for something that's already coexisted with them for quite some time, seeing as they would have no reason to desecrate the grounds anyways.

While that made things simpler, he doubted any proper-thinking minds would have the same idea, so he had to stay cautious. Keeping one eye on the fortress and the unlit windows (movement would be revealed through peripheral vision), he crept out from behind the rock under the cover of darkness and sprinted silently towards the marker, passing by another Broav and confirming his theory when it barely even made eye contact with him.