Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: How to avoid hack, scam, and getting ripped off Guide
PostPosted: January 13th, 2005, 5:02 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Status: P2P
I've seen many topics about people who have been hacked, scammed and getting ripped off badly, so I decided to create a guide to avoid these things from happening.

Thanks
General Message
1.Always check the second trade screen
2.Never change your password to something another person tells you, and never tell another person your password.
3.Items cannot be duplicated by any magic, crafting or smithing trick. If you trade an item for it to be duplicated, don't expect it back.

Avoid getting hacked

1. Change your password into something people can't guess, usually random stuff like spell your name (B3n1am1n whatever)
2. Do not download any program from personal websites.

Avoid Scams

1. Someone goes into a market, say falador, and says buying (usually a useless item that not well known to players like sliced banana) for an obscene amount of money (we'll go with 2 mil) and a few minutes later someone else comes in selling that item for 200k. of course you want to buy it and sell it to the first guy. as soon as you buy it the first guy logs out and your down some gp.
2.Another ploy scammers will use is to replace a valuable item with something less valuable (like replacing a zammy kite with a regular rune kite)
3.A person approaches you, leads you away from other people into the forest, and asks if you want to get rich quickly. He tells you that the cheat is to change your password to something (his choice, the one I got when the newb tried to scam me was "goldrush"). Then you have to open the cheat menu by pressing "Alt F4", which immediately closes the currently opened program--runescape. When you try to log on again, either your account is permanantly gone (he changed the pass, and u didn't have recovery questions) or after recovering your account, there isn't anything left on it.
4.Another annoying scam is the "free armor trimming" everyone advertises on the free world. You give them your armor, and they dissappear with it in an instant.

Avoid getting ripped off(BADLY)

Credits the above message might be edited from original
1. noxhawk597
2. Garm

Last edited by Rocket2004 on January 16th, 2005, 6:52 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 13th, 2005, 5:02 pm 
Dragon Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2005, 6:01 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: lCharizardl
right well with the avoid getting scammed watch out for this ploy: someone goes into a market, say falador, and says buying (insert item) for an obscene amount of money (we'll go with 2 mil) and a few minutes later someone else comes in selling that item for 200k. of course you want to buy it and sell it to the first guy. as soon as you buy it the first guy logs and your down some gp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2005, 6:06 pm 
Black Member

RS Name: noxhawk597
lol, i got hit by that particular ploy........they were using sgg's for the insert item.

another ploy scammers will use is to replace a valuable item with something less valuable (like replacing a zammy kite with a reg. rune kite. they may "accidentally" reject the trade to do this. again, i got hit by this ploy-unfortunately)

I hope this helps stop the scammers :evil:

current goal: get a Abyssal Whip........selling dragon bones to do it, lol (i sell for 3k each, if anyone is interested)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2005, 6:46 pm 
Dragon Member

i'll put these in the post...but next time give an example rather... a simple one so low level and new people can understand

appreciate it... ur names will go to credits

i'm gathering everyone's experiences

also proofread your posting please, that will help us understand better

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2005, 6:56 pm 
Black Member

ok, here is a simple one that low lvls may get:

A person (usually low lvl--though he may be wearing some valuable items) approaches you, leads you away from other people into the forest, and asks if you want to get rich quickly. He tells you that the cheat is to change your password to something (his choice, the one I got when the newb tried to scam me was "goldrush". Lol, I was just smart enough not to fall for it). Then you have to open the cheat menu by pressing "Alt F4", which immediately closes the currently opened program--runescape. When you try to log on again, either your account is permanantly gone (he changed the pass, and you didn't have recovery questions) or after recovering your account, there isn't anything left on it.

That is one of the basic ones.

Another annoying scam is the "free armor trimming" everyone advertises on the free world. You give them your armor, and they dissappear with it in an instant. The only place you can get trimmed armor is off of the member's treasure trails, and even then it is rare. It doesn't matter if you looked the other person up, and he has high crafting, or that he is a member--there is no other way to get trimmed armor! Lol, I have never been gotten by that particular scam, but I have reported a few people.

I hope this is more helpful than the other one i gave you :)

current goal: get a Abyssal Whip........selling dragon bones to do it, lol (i sell for 3k each, if anyone is interested)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2005, 4:42 pm 
Dragon Member

ok i got it anymore

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: January 14th, 2005, 4:42 pm 
Dragon Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2005, 10:33 pm 

RS Name: King Kulla
RS Status: F2P
yea, using bank notes in the same way of replacing a good item (eg zammy kite) with a lesser item (eg rune kite)

This makes it even harder to see it

Usually they offer you the real item first, the decline trade after they offer you item. They then sometimes make an excuse for declining and trade you again. the second time tho, they put up the lesser item in a note, and then ur scammed.

Some lvl 3 was offering me a rune longsword in varrock east bank, i put up the 32k and he declined. he traded again, and then put up a bronze long. Fortunately, im not stupid or distracted enough to fall for something like that :lol:

Hope this helps 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2005, 10:02 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
If you improve the grammer a bit and add some more general methods to prevent being scammed or hacked, maybe we will make this a sticky

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2005, 10:29 pm 
Black Member

Some simple steps to avoid being scammed/ripped off:

1) Always check the second trade screen, and wait about 3 seconds before accepting--read exactly what will be traded, and gauge the current worth of both items, then accept or reject. If you don't fully know the worth of both items, check a price guide, either here or on one of the many other runescape help sites.

2) Never change your password to something another person tells you, and never tell another person your password. Jagex cannot star out your password in-game (as a lot of people use common words in their password), so anyone saying "Runescape blocks your password, see ********** try it!" is an absolute liar.

3) Never trade-for-modification unless you know the person you are giving it to. This involves trading your item to another person for him to change it (i.e., gem cutting, armor trimming, etc.). However, if they offer the finished product in exchange for your item, by all means accept :) (i.e., a cut gem of the type you have for your uncut). Armor trimming is impossible, so don't trust that ever.

4) Items cannot be duplicated by any magic, crafting or smithing trick. If you trade an item for it to be duplicated, don't expect it back.

5) Many people will offer seldom-heard-of items for a very large price (i.e., sliced banana, gnome drinks, burnt bones, etc). Always check your price guides for exact quotes before you pay for them. If the other person can't wait for you to do this, it probably isn't worth it. If the deal was really good, then you haven't really missed out on too much. Remember, it is just a game, and there will always be another one.

6) Some people offer "Really great bargains" on fairly expensive items. Check your price guides, as 50k for a 30k-35k rune scimitar really isn't that great of a bargain.

I hope this helps 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2005, 1:33 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: meatwad3
RS Status: Classic
nice guide you have there! Ill try and think of some scams i have seen.

I love Taco's!!!Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2005, 4:34 pm 
Dragon Member

mike12088 wrote:
If you improve the grammer a bit and add some more general methods to prevent being scammed or hacked, maybe
we will make this a sticky

Where is the grammar problem. can u please point it out.. i'm not good at english

Post subject: I go along with it sometimes.
PostPosted: January 17th, 2005, 5:40 pm 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
RS Name: Alex 43
Clan Name: Rsbandb! All the way!
I know pretty much all the scams. A regular is the 'Selling rare black lobster! 1 000 000 gold!', which is really just burnt lobster which you can always find on the ground around Catherby. Sometimes I pretend to be 'stupid' and go along with it to the trade screen. I'll watch him switch / do his scam halfway, and I'll correct his mistake. Usually other people hear this, tell me he's a scammer if he's doing that...case closed. They know who's a scammer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2005, 12:22 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Stanley1943
RS Status: F2P
Nice guide you got there..good for new ppl on runescape..
I personally got scammed when I was a noob..
A guy said triming armour and i gave my full mith to him..lol..
thinking of it now, man, it saucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2005, 2:58 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Marcownsu
Scammers, check both screens and check price before selling/buying.

Hackers, don't use the same password for anything else and only use the Official Client.

User #680

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2005, 6:37 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Liquidsn4k3
Scamming wouldnt happen if people OPENED THEIR EYES! Its not that hard to differentiate(sp?) "bronze" with "rune" They start with different letters!

Worst scamm happened to my friend. He was buyin a red mask for 900k, and the jerk who was selling it swapped it with a green one.

I fell for the armor trimming thing when i was lvl 34, lost full blk lol.

1070th in RS to Acheive 99 range