Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tabs tabs and more tabs
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 5:27 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
So at the top of the forums there are tabs runewire and the forums. My question is, why are there no tabs leading to anything elce?

I think there should be one more tab that has things like update, informer, highscore, skotm, and other things under it. That would make ot much easier than going back the the homepage and clicking the links there to get to these parts of the site.

Just something to think about.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 5:27 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Post subject: Re: Tabs tabs and more tabs
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 5:35 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Evalithia
RS Status: P2P
My poor 1440 pixel across screen cannot possibly display all those extra links without the bar wrapping over.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 5:39 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: Bryan Tran
Clan Name: W22 Farming
Navigation in general is pretty much screwed over whenever there's a big change. Remember the new forum theme? Even though the forums back then were on the sub-domain, clicking on the big banner thing would bring you to front page, no longer the forum index. omgwtf that was a horrible change.

And then yesterday's changes sort of made me not want to use RW regularly anymore. I've been super-used to clicking on the big logo on the upper left side of my screen, bringing me to the RW main page. So used in fact, I don't even look where I'm clicking when I want to go back the public timeline. But no, now it has to be consistent with the rest of the site and bring you to the front page. Not a fan of that. Of course there's the navigation buttons but that requires getting used to, on the level of a very frequent user changing his habit.

Oh yeah, and since that RW button is broken 1/3 of the time, if I WANT to visit RW, I'd have to type in the long URl in my bar. (For some reason I notice that runewire.com loads longer than http://www.rsbandb.com/runewire, maybe that's just me, but I also get some ugly number up top that I'd rather not have.)

I don't know what I'm rambling on here about. Maybe none of that crap made sense, but whatever. Navigation should be more thought out.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 6:12 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Quote:
Navigation in general is pretty much screwed over whenever there's a big change. Remember the new forum theme? Even though the forums back then were on the sub-domain, clicking on the big banner thing would bring you to front page, no longer the forum index. omgwtf that was a horrible change.

Clicking the banner would always bring you to the main site. When rsbandb went to phpbb3 it didn't though, as default by phpbb3 but it was quickly changed back to the way it was.

But the RW button has never been broken for me lmao.

Anyways I think customizing the navagation bar would be cool so you could put the links you want into it. So if you don't care about the informer, you can take it out (not that it's in it right now anyways).

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2011, 8:04 am 
Site Owner

RS Name: mike12088
Clan Name: Bits and Bytes
We call that bar the community bar. It has links on it relating to your account here on RSBandB or the community.

It is already full because unfortunately we have to cater to people who use 1024x768 which is still about 15% of our users.

The next thing to go on it will be an events button which will have a drop down showing all the upcoming events replacing the thing at the bottom of the forums, and anyone will be able to enter their events there. This will also replace the current events countdowns that appear and instead the events button will turn a different colour as one or more event times are approaching. That will be in development and will probably replace the 'FAQ' button as it is not of particular use since most of the things that answers are easy to find.

Customizing the bar is an interesting idea but it would look weird with some having icons and some not. It took me more than 30 minutes to just make those two small icons for the Forums and RuneWire and I still don't think they look particularly good. I'm not making icons for every part of the site. XD

Right now the most common things visited are only 1 click away. Other areas of the site are two clicks having to click on the banner and then the site navigation. For those of you used to clicking the banner on RuneWire, well you'll just have to get used to clicking the top level "RuneWire" button instead. I don't think having the whole site navigation on that bar would work that well, it would need multiple levels of drop down and would be slower than just going to the main site and clicking the navigation there.

I'd like to see some image mockups if you're suggestioning to change the navigation. It's easy to suggest something but another thing to make it work while still accommodating smaller resolutions. If you want to see how it looks on smaller resolutions, there is a firefox addon called 'web developer' that is a toolbar and has a button to resize your window to replicate the size of those resolutions.