Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Round Robin: Rise of The Eclipse
PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 3:25 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: paidsaint
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: who needs one?
"Well uh, things are kinda scarce as you can tell. Dulcien really hasn't done much of anything yet though... Well aside from all those revenants which prevented me from seeing you." Darkrascal responded.

"It wasn't the only thing," Zamorak replied, "What's the status on your forces?"

"Uh... This is it... 10,000 strong and can't do a thing because we've got the world against us if we come out of hiding. The heroes are more than likely to intercept us..." She said said. "And I know it's not news you wanted to hear... Blame Lawrence!" She said shifting the blame on her husband. Lawrence glared at her.

"I've learned over the years I cannot expect perfection from mortals." Zamorak grumbled, and Lime held in a chuckle, "But instead of blame, I would much rather correct." He said. "Summon the troops." he commanded, turning back to Lime, "I would like to personally inspect them, as I've always wanted to for many years."

Lawrence chuckled nervously and obeyed the command, summoning his troops. The shadow gaurd was truly his greatest division.. They were troops any kingdom would be jealous of. The second biggest faction was Kate's mages, and the third being Fletcher's archers. Next was Ace's assasins and recon unit. then came the clerics, and smithers, and chefs. "Everyone's something important to us. Even the non combat units." Lawrence remarked.

Zamorak wasn't really listening, "Yes yes, you all have a purpose. Very good."Then to Lime, "You can fight, right?"
Lime's eyes widened,

"Fight? Uh, yeah, I can. No problem."

Darkrascal listened, wondering what Zamorak was getting at. "I want to take advantage of this summons." Zamorak said, "And lead our forces into glorious battle myself. Wittle down the Liorinists' hope. Perhaps kill a few of them. Show them we are not simply a threat, but a cause for alarm." "And with the might of the Ormra at my side… I couldn't ask for anything better.""

"Isn't that against the rules or something?" Darkrascal asked. "Also... as much as I'd like to bash momsrascal's head in, they aren't our enemies...

"I KNOW FULL WELL WHAT I'M DOING!" Zamorak bellowed in annoyance.

He turned back to Lime, "Continue." Darkrascal shut up instantly, still feeling uneasy. Lime gave a nervous laugh,

"Heh, you think I can be dangerous. Amber's got the temper, and she'll snap necks with her slap of annoyance. And Ochre… he never really told me what he did before we came here, but a ton of blood was involved. Get him riled up, and you just can't stop him. You'd have to kill him 10 times over before he'd stop destroying armies a hundred times over. But even he's nothing compared to Cobalt… if you can get him to fight. Ochre attacked him once. Big mistake. Both wings, both arms, both legs. Clean off. I didn't even see him move and he was laughing. LAUGHING! He momentarily dismembered Ochre, and he thought it was funny!" Lime said. Lawrence didn't like where this was going at all.

"Brilliant!" Zamorak laughed, "And I daresay you've perfected your own art of… stealth?"

"They won't see me coming." Lime replied with confidence, "You know me. I fight best from behind."

Darkrascal was scared stiff, wondering if she'd ever be able to talk to her lord.

"Then I will hold you to that." Zamorak said. He noticed Darkrascal's expression of fear, sighed, and knelt down slightly.

"The Ormra come from my world." he explained, "They were our masters there." darkrascal nodded in understanding.
"I've got four of them to fight with me, and to give me a body with which to stand in the mortal realm. For so long, I have watched your sorry, failed attempts to bring down the faction of the Star. It had sickened me to the soul."

"Question." She said.

"What?"

"What about dulcien? You know he destroyed our fortress in Zaros' name. I think that we should be worried about that..." She mentioned.

"I am not concerend with that" Zamorak replid.

"What...?" She asked. "Then does that mean we can come out of hiding?" She asked.

"Of course not!" he half-shouted, "not yet."

Darkrascal grew quite perplexed.

"While Zaros no longer poses a threat to me, this Dulcien…" Zamorak trailed off.

"Dulcien does?" She assumed. "That's the whole reason we agreed to let Lime summon you." she said.

Zamorak leaned forward, "Let me let you in on a little secret." Darkrascal listened intently

"There is a greater God than Lord Saradomin."

This didn't seem to surprise darkrascal at all. "I would assume so because saradomin's dead. " She said.

"He watches the world without interference, and prevents otherworldly Gods from interfering." "Zaros was once one of said Gods.Unfortunately, circumstances had changed a long time ago, and rather than chase Zaros off, the OmniGod instead enlisted in his service."

Darkrascal's eyes widened. She couldn't imagine anyone more powerful than her own creator.

"His service was expensive, and it corrupted the world beyond what the OmniGod would've liked."

Darkrascal wasn't sure if she understood much of this but listened anyway.

"Our world's lord… my Lord, was a rival of the OmniGods' at the time. But they were passive against each other. Mostly. But they did know each other. They didn't like each other, but they could handle each other. However, Zaros nearly had full control of the world, and if he didn't do something to get rid of the otherworldly parasite, he needed my Lord's help. So for the first time ever, they teamed up."

Darkrascal slowly began thinking she understood what her lord was talking about.

"They joint-commanded us against Zaros' army. It was a glorious, but scarring battle. Our goal was set. We had to lure Zaros, who resided in the mortal realm, into the open, capture him, and expel him from the world. And Zaros knew it was me."

Darkrascal started linking what she learned to what zamorak was saying. "Ah, the staff of arymadyl right?" She asked. Lawrence was surprised that Darkrascal had bothered to pay attention to her history lessons.

"That's what it was called by the mortals, yes." Zamorak replied. "He was expelled, but Zaros had threatened to return. And, back then, I was concerned that this was going to be the case. He was one to hold a grudge. If he returned, I would be his first target. But then something happened. The circumstance that restricted the OmniGod's ability to supervise the planet had been removed. Very recently, in fact."

Darkrascal tilted her head. "Removed...?" She thought.

"He's now once again watching the world, and if Zaros ever turned up, he would cast him away again. If he couldn't do that, he would at least safeguard me."

"Ok, so you're safe from zaros?" She asked.

"Not entirely." Zamorak replied. "We still have to worry about Dulcien. Somehow, he was able to connect with the planet again and send his power forward."

"Right... Him... Problem is, we cant tell what he's up to..." Darkrascal muttered.

"If we attack the heroes, it would get Dulcien's attention." Zamorak said.

"That... Actually makes sense..." Lawrence said.

"He may decide to attack prematurely, realizing I had been summoned, and that I have a limited time on the planet.A blitz attack, if you will." Zamorak speculated. Darkrascal looked concerned.

"Can we prevent that if we move quickly?" Lawrence asked.

"Don't you understand?" Zamorak bellowed, "I WANT him to attack!"
"I don't want him to attack here though..." Lawrence said.

"Clearly we're not inviting him to our doorstep."

"Well... striking the Elduvian isles is clearly asking for trouble but... if it is needed I'm willing to do it." Darkrascal Said.

"Elduvian isles?" Zamorak asked, "You really think marching right to our enemies' doorstep is advisable?"

"Hahaha! Of course not!That would be stupid!" Darkrascal chuckled. "Who thought of that dumb idea?" She jokingly asked, trying to play off the suggestion. Amber and Lime rolled their eyes in sync. Ochre shook his head and sighed. Cobalt was eating raw beef on bread.

"A more tactical location would be falador. Or perhaps Ardougne?" Lawrence suggested.

"By what I'm informed, he resides near the wilderness. Falador would be the more ideal choice." Zamorak replied. Lawrence held back a smile, not letting his pride show for getting brownie points with Zamorak. Darkrascal wagged her tail, eager to go raise some hell.

"I'll simplify things for you." Zamorak said, standing up straighter and more comfortably, "I want dominance. We've got Dulcien and the Tower of the Star in our way. We stage a seige on the Tower of the Star. Dulcien takes interest of our forces weakening each other and makes his move. Seeing him as the greater threat, they will call a temporary truce, and we team up on Dulcien. Tower of the Star fight Dulcien, they are weakened, once he falls, we go right back to it." Zamorak summarized.

"Best idea ever!" Darkrascal exclaimed.

"Of course it is." Zamorak exclaimed, "When have I ever had bad ideas?"

"Well there was that one time you told me to use pickle juice to get rid of grass stains..." Darkrascal mumbled.

"You dreamt it, and there's nothing else to it." Zamorak said, holding up a hand.

"Yep, my mistake!" Darkrascal agreed.

"When do you want us to strike?" Lawrence asked.

"Ready the ships." Zamorak said, "We strike at night."

Darkrascal grinned. "That's what I like to hear!" She bellowed.

Lawrence forced himself not to sigh and began getting the ships and their troops ready to strike tonight.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 3:25 pm 
Runite Member

PostPosted: September 7th, 2011, 1:31 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
I really need to try to get inspiration so that I can get this plot moving along faster...

The question was not 'when do we leave?', for there was no question about that. The Heroes hadn't been in combat or on anything like an adventure in months. Despite being Warriors of Peace, they were still Warriors. And a Warrior's passion is in the challenge. They were all ready for whatever lay ahead out in the dark depths of the wilderness.

The entire company was comprised of Momsrascal, Elise, Alex, Hunt, Jason, Michael, Karmadin, and 43 Rangers. Star Knights, all though much better in hand-to-hand combat, would be much louder, and move much slower. This mission was for reconnaissance, and that's what Rangers excel at. There was no doubt they would have to fight some revenants though. All but Elise had previously fought atleast one revenant. Karmadin had been fighting them daily for the past 3 months. Michael was used to them during his hermitage. Momsrascal, Jason, and Alex had all fought their fair share one time or another. Hunt...well no one knew if he had ever fought any or not. But from how he had acted so far and from what Alex said about him, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that he couldn't beat a revenant.

The company left around midnight. Traveling in the wilderness at dark is the worst idea, which is why they chose to leave their base in Falador at midnight. By the time they reached the wilderness it should be about dawn. The sun wouldn't provide much light, but what light was provided was much better than the darkness given by night.

They could just see the sun rising on the horizon as they passed the ruins of the Dark Fortress. It was almost exactly as it had been when they found it months ago, with the exception of a thicker layer of dirt covering the ruin.

"Whatever did this...is what we're up against..." Jason said as the stopped momentarily by the ruins.

They moved on quickly. The sight of their former enemy's fortress in ruins was chilling, even to the most experienced warrior. The Heroes had spent years preparing, scouting, and strategizing how to attack and destroy this fortress. And then an unknown enemy comes and destroys the entire fortress. If an enemy can do in one day what the largest organized military organization in Gielinor took years to plan to do, you know it had to be powerful.

By noon they were approaching a large hill overlooking the Rogue's Castle. There was no real way to know that it was noon and not midnight again for it was now even darker than when they had left Falador. They peered over the hill and their eyes grew wide. In the castle, the courtyard, and all the surrounding grounds were revenants. Hundreds, atleast. A quick count from a Ranger numbered 200. There were revenant dark beasts, black dragons, black demons, and even a few revenant wyverns(not skeletal, revenant).

"I have never seen revenants of these kinds." Jason said in a shocked tone.

"So the dark beasts were just the beginning..." Karmadin said pensively as he analyzed the situation.

Even Hunt, though no one could tell, was slightly surprised to see such large numbers of so powerful creatures. Did it affect him? Nah.

"You were certainly right about the revenants." Momsrascal said.

"An army of revenants..." Elise said, which reminded everyone of Alex's words in the counsel, "
Not only would this new God have an army of revenants already at its disposal, but they would not have any idea exactly what they were up against."

"They're not random, it's a plan. The entire thing is planned. Hundreds of the most powerful revenants-that we have never even seen! Gielinor fought these as physical thousands of years ago but none from that age are still alive. And none have ever fought the spectral form of them. Gielinor will be completely unknowning to how to deal with these." Jason said, still with a tone of awe in his voice.

"But if you have an army of unknown soldiers, why send the few known ones down to be seen?" Momsrascal said.

"Unless..." Alex said. Immediately after speaking he swung around and quickly formed his left arm into a shield and deflected a fireball away. The rest of the company turned around to see 5 revenant dragons, 5 revenant wyverns, and 10 revenant black demons.

"It's a trap!" He shouted and ducked as another firebreath attack narrow missed him and the heroes beside him. No explanation was needed now. The enemy had used the dark beasts to make the Heroes suspicious. They took the bait and snuck right into the center of a trap.

The Wyverns breathed and sent cold, icy breath towards the Rangers, making them quickly back away. This attack made there be two groups now. The Rangers to the right, and the Heroes (with 3 of the Rangers) to the left, with the enemy advancing in between the two.

Revenants?

Random?

No one would believe that after today.

...If any of them lived through it.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 12:07 pm 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
RS Name: Alex 43
Clan Name: Rsbandb! All the way!
Nothing says inspiration more than a character's life-altering decision...

The fight was on! Surrounded by the spectral anomalies, the heroes formed up in a circle, covering each others' backs. Long-ranged attacks would have to be blocked and deflected, not avoided, for it would then carry the risk of striking someone else from behind.

The heroes formed up, with the close-range fighters staggered outward and the long-range warriors farther in.

Alex flicked out his hand, and his diamond-headed spear quickly materialized, sparking with powerful electrical energy. He would take either role, whichever needed it. An overconfident black demon contested him with a blast of icicles, and with a swift twirl of the spear, the shards were shattered in mid-air. Spinning his whole body around, Alex followed it up with a prolonged blast of energy shot out of his spear, lighting up the battlefield. It overwhelmed the demon in a bright cyan outline and launched it back through the ranks.

Everyone was in the fight now, save for one. Hunt moved to the middle of the circle and… sat down on his knees.

"What the ^@$% are you DOING?" Karmadin bellowed, making Elise flinch and nearly mess up her spell-casting.

"I'm not going to intervene." Hunt coldly replied, sitting perfectly still in a meditative state, "Just ignore me, and focus on the threat at hand."

He shoved his dark beast off him and momentarily turned to face the golden being, "We need all the help we can get! We need someone to safeguard our rangers!"

"Just leave him! It's all right!" Alex called, clashing spear against ethereal claw, "I'll help them out!"

He immediately regretted the responsibility. Upon hearing his change of strategy, three revenant black dragons suddenly cut around and angled themselves between the groups, launching fireballs at the heroes while being covered by the already dominating second group.

The sudden maneuver surprised Alex. Not only were they coordinated enough to create a trap, but they were also adapting on the spot! And in groups, too! It wasn't just a group of coincidental revenants; the three dragons came out from different parts of the battlefield. It was as though they were being controlled by some sort of revenant hive-mind that was supervising the battle.

Just a theory, but he had to test it. He fired a quick lightning bolt at a nearby wyvern and got it's attention. It blew forth a stream of ice, which Alex parried around, and then he thrust his spear in. However, he held back the force, and the wyvern caught it with a wing. Alex put his weight on the spear, but the wyvern was forcing it back.

Then Alex turned his head and called out to his group.

"Eyes open, guys!" he shouted, "I think they may have a leader around here somewhere."

That proved it. Rather than seized the advantage of Alex's lost attention and forcing itself around as expected, the wyvern relaxed for a split-second. By informing them of his discovery, the one controlling them quickly thought about how this information would benefit them, and if but for a moment, loosened its control on them.

Not yet patting himself on the back, Alex flipped his spear over, crouched down, morphed the handle-end into a second spear-head, and thrust it right into the wyvern's neck. Of course, it being a spiritual being, it really didn't matter where he thrust. The premise behind taking out non-solid beings was to disorient their metaphysical existence. If they solidified their bodies, which they would be foolish to do, it would have an effect. Otherwise, he would have to simply whip away at its gaseous existence and make it impossible for it to converge again.

He swung his spear upward, and its head split in two. In a moment, it would return to normal, but Alex swung again. This time, horizontally, cleaving a fine, wispy line between its body. It backed off, trying to regenerate, but Alex gave chase with a whirlwind of attacks, completely messing up its composure. In a dozen quick slashes, it was so messed up that, no longer able to reform itself, the wyvern vanished in a whiff of smoke.

Armed with the knowledge of the revenants being controlled in real-time, Alex focused his mind as he took on a second wyvern. How could he take advantage of this? And was there really only one leader, or were there leaders for each faction? Was it mere coincidence that three black dragon wyverns reformed? Could it have been two dragons and a wyvern? And was the leader operating behind the scenes, or was it physically present on the field or somewhere nearby?

This was what they was best at. Adaptation. A concept the Gods have yet to grasp, and the force that was going to bring them victory today.

Or so he hoped.

Shielding a blast of cold air and sending a powerful current through its existence, Alex took down the second wyvern quickly and dashed for the three dragons. He had a number of different theories already spinning in his head, but he could not overlook what the facts were. And the facts were that the group of rangers were in trouble, and he had to divert his focus onto them.

The dragons fired in unison, and Alex leapt right into the blaze.

"Come on! Just get up and fight!" yelled Karmadin, taking a glancing blow to the shoulder. Alex was definitely onto something. The movements and the anticipations of the revenants were way too coordinated for any normal revenant. If one of his attacks were even just a bit predictable, they would see it coming a mile away. These were definitely not the same revenants he was used to.

But even still, he scanned the battlefield several times. Nothing. No out-of-place scenery, no shadowy ominous figures on the nearby hills, not even a faint glow on the atmosphere. There was no sign that there was anything observing them, and yet there clearly was something observing the battlefield and issuing commands to the revenants.

Hunt had been sitting in the middle of the circle completely undeterred from battle. Sometimes he would even chuckle to himself after somebody made either a mistake or a kill. Otherwise, he had been sitting so passively that even the revenants decided he was not a threat and paid no heed to his existence.

"I'm not fighting." he said with forced calmness, "I'm just observing. This is not my battle to fight."

"Yeah right!" was the response, "You're here, and so is the enemy. Even if it's not your battle, would it kill you to just swing your weapon around?"

"DON'T tempt me!" Hunt growled, as though his act of not fighting was causing him as much strain on him as if he was fighting at 300%.

A sword-wielding revenant demon thrust its shadow weapon at Karmadin, who clashed it away with his own before heaving it forth and swinging it with all his might, whisking it into near nothingness and forcing it away. Then he turned into the circle to face Hunt.

"You know what? If I didn't know any better…" Karmadin said, pointing a finger, "I'd guess that you might be the one controlling them!"

Hunt didn't move.

"Assume what you want." he said, "But if I was controlling them myself, wouldn't it have been in my benefit to take you all down at once while I had all your backs to me from the trap?"

Karmadin had to agree. The world's greatest heroes all clustered together, and he had that moment of weakness to exploit. The fact he wasn't participating in the battle at all, and in the middle of their circle where anybody could stop him should he show a sign of betrayal, told him this wasn't the case. And even if he was controlling them and figured the revenants didn't need help, it would've been in his best interest to help take the heroes down and save as many revenants as possible for future battles.

"Fine, then. What'll it take to get you to help?" he asked.

Hunt broke stillness. After glancing to make sure Alex was well out of earshot, his head slowly turned to face Karmadin. He made eye contact, and time seemed to slow down for them both.

"If you promise,"

Hunt spoke, rising to his feet,

"And swear full responsibility"

He stepped forward. The sounds of battle dimmed.

"For my actions"

His right arm reached into his robe, clasping the Hingaerd.

"To the greater ones whom you follow"

There was a soft, blue light emitting from the eye-holes of his mask. A jet of steam momentarily blasted out of the mouth-hole.

"Then I can intervene."

Karmadin didn't like this tone of voice. A dark, spooky aura was emitting from this stranger. Whatever he had to do, he knew he wasn't going to like it.

But they did need help. The rangers defense was breaking, and wouldn't last one more minute. He saw Alex dash at them, but he vanished within a great smoke cloud conjured by a set of revenant dragons. Should he trust Hunt, or should he rely on Alex?

Last edited by Alex 43 on September 24th, 2011, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 1:31 pm 
Chat Moderator

Karmadin was about to reply when the two heard an explosion and then looked towards the Rangers but were quickly knocked back by Alex, who had been thrown towards them from where he was defending the Rangers.

"I take it the Ranger's are gone?" Karmadin said, as he jumped back to his feet.

"I don't know. I was fighting a dragon and the next thing I know I'm flying through the air toward you." Alex replied after instantly getting back up. He had hit Hunt, or at least he thought he had, but Hunt had remained in the same position as before, completely unmoved.

The explosion had gotten the attention of all the heroes, who took a moment to look to the cloud of dust where the Rangers had been fiercely fighting for their lives only a few seconds before. The dust seemed to settle unnaturally fast and as it did so they saw a figure standing in the center. It was about 8 feet tall, from what they could gauge, and had no weapon drawn.

The explosion seemed to of temporarily stopped the revenants too, as they didn't attack during the few seconds that the heroes looked to the cloud of dust. They didn't stop for long though, and were quickly on the Heroes again.

Michael had taken a defensive position in the battle. He could be very effected on the offensive as well, but in this case he was more beneficial as defensive. With the enemy breathing both fire and ice and only a few of the Heroes having the ability to block breath attacks, Michael had morphed into the ground and would shoot up an earth wall to block the breath attack. In this he was safe, his body being fully submerged in the ground.

With the Heroes having the best anti-breath shield possible(assuming they stayed within roughly a 50ft circle), they all focused on the offensive. Karmadin held his sword and an arrow in one hand and his bow in the other, swinging when needed and firing when he could. Arrows didn't do much to revenants if shot to the body, but to the head they were as effective as if the spectre was corporeal. The problem was hitting their fast moving heads.

Jason had quickly sung a crystal seed into a shield which was suitable for blocking single breath attacks, assuming he constantly sung while he fought. Because of this he was able to (relatively) safely leave the safety of Michael's circle(which Michael had made visible by leveling the terrain). Jason would jump into the bodies of the revenants when he got the chance as since they were ethereal except on those parts which they attacked with, he could safely be 'inside' them. No other revenant would attack him when he was like this as since the revenants were on the same plane they would hit the other revenant before hitting him. The protection offered by this 'hiding' technique lasted for but a second or two, but was often the difference between life and death. The revenant he was 'inside' would maneuver to attack him, occasionally allowing him to hit its head or claws as it did so, two of the few physical parts of the revenant.

Perhaps the most effective in the battle was Elise, who, being nearly entirely magic focused, was able to always damage the revenants so long as her spells hit. She was able to counter the revenants rapid movement by using specially redesigned spells. Countless hours after school playing with magic was finally paying off. She would fire a surge of fire toward a revenant who would then quickly move to the side or fly up. She would then do a sideways or upwards motion with her hand and the spell would explode in that direction, catching many revenants off-guard. She focused her attacks on a single wyvern and fired two surges on each side of it. As she thought, it flew up. So she motioned up and the spells hit its body dead on. Unlike physical attacks, her magical attacks dealt full damage to any part of the revenant. The two attacks on the wyvern stunned it just long enough for her to get another surge off above the wyvern to fire down at, sending it into the ground. She stuck her hand into the ground where she was standing and a large earthen hand came out near the revenant's head and went crashing down on it. A hideous screech was heard as the revenant's spectral body vanished.

The battle actually seemed to be going alright. Momsrascal's Saradomin swords were feared by the revenants because they were spirit weapons and would do direct damage upon touching any part of the spectre. Unfortunately she was limited to staying within the bounds of Michael's protection because she had no way to defend against the breath attacks.

Alex, like Jason, was out in the heart of the fray fighting the revenants because his Enogan body could morph into a shield whenever he needed. he did better than Jason though because his weapon was a spirit one similar to Momsrascal's, making him quite feared among the revenants, though by no means unattackable.

Alex and Jason finished off a revenant and turned to continue the fight but found the revenants were...backing away.

"We've only killed half...why are they backing away?" Jason asked as he watched the revenants back away.

"I don't know." Alex asked as the two ran back to the circle of heroes. The thought of the figure which had wiped out the Rangers seemed to shoot back into everyone's mind at the same time, making them all look towards it just in time to see it swing its arm at them. The heroes flew backwards a good hundred feet. All except two. Hunt had moved himself back a hundred feet a moment before the attack hit, thus was not affected by it. Michael, having been morphed into the ground thus far, could not be blown back by the spell. However he was affected. He lay motionless in the center of where the heroes had been standing. The figure started walking towards him.

"We have to save him!" Elise cried as she got up.

One of the three remaining Rangers who had not been thrown as far by the spell got up, pulled out his sword and ran towards the figure. With lightning speed the figure shot forth his hand and grasped the Ranger's sword hand in mid-swing. An eerie laugh emanated from the battlefield as the Ranger saw his hand turn to ash. He burst forth with an unquenchable scream of pain as the rest of his body, following his hand, turned to ash until all of him and his equipment blew away on the wind. His scream remained in the air for what seemed like an eternity as the ashes blew away.

The figure continued towards Michael's body. Elise turned into her elemental form and blasted a boulder up from the ground near the figure. It was incinerated upon touching the figure. A quick realization told Elise not to try to fight the figure but instead to save Michael directly, so she made a crevice under Michael which his body fell into. The figure, however, would not be defied and stomped the ground where Michael's body had lay. This sent a quake through the ground for miles around, shaking the Heroes and nearly knocking them down. Michael's body surfaced behind Elise and at the same time she was knocked back by an unseen force and fell on him and then reverted back to her human form. Both elementals were unconscious.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 8:47 am 
Chat Moderator

Location: There's a place in the world where the sun won't shine, consumed of color and depth. I'm not there. ca
You guys have no idea how much fun I have writing these...

In any other situation, Alex would have no qualms charging right in and contesting any opponent with on-the-fly speed and tactics. Time their long-ranged attack, veer to the side, and strike as they switch. One moment of surefire vulnerability, and once he got in that first hit, the fight was his.

This one was different. It wasn't just the instant, heat-inducing power that radiated from its hands, it too had the speed and power to match. It would hit Alex instantly, stun him with the blow, and finish him off with the weapon sheathed on its back. Or one materialized from the air. Considering it didn't even have its sword out for the battle meant that it was used either as a last resort, or when it figured that the target wasn't worthy enough to be dispelled by magic.

He wasn't about to tempt it. He was getting a very dark feeling from this one, and they were in no proper condition to take it on. It not only had the army of revenants under its control (had to, since they backed off due to its approach), but also the home turf advantage. For all he knew, it had traps laid around the battlefield, and they were not discovered due to their having been confined to one small area.

Jason began to sing his shield back into a sword, but Alex stopped him by holding his spear in front, separating him from the figure.

"I'll keep him busy." he said, "You guys get Michael and Elise out of here. We're leaving this battleground."

Jason stared. Retreat? This wasn't like Alex to just abandon battle.

"You're insane!" Karmadin exclaimed, "You really think you can take him on alone?"

"You're insane." Alex replied, "Thinking I'm gonna try."

Hunt remained motionless, sitting upright on the ground. However, his mask was turned in the direction of the combatants. Even he appeared interested in the outcome of this battle.

The figure heard the plan. No sooner did Alex bring his spear in front did it suddenly thrust forward with a palm pointed towards the unconscious elementals, and a dark, powerful energy burst from it. The ground rumbled as a powerful explosion engulfed the duo in flame and smoke, and all the heroes staggered backward.

Well, almost all of them.

"Ain't gonna work." shouted Alex, holding his free hand outward and giving it a flick. A flash of light, and the smoke suddenly dissipated, leaving a large ring of untouched ground surrounding the fallen heroes. The figure was barely dazed at the result.

He couldn't be intimidated by this creature. He had to divert its focus on him to give everyone else a chance to escape. As for himself… well, a path better decided on when it came up.

He twirled his spear around so quickly that it glowed with powerful energy. Then, grasping it with two hands, thrust it forward, unleashing an intense beam of lightning energy. It lit up the entire battlefield in a strong, cyan light for the millisecond it existed. The point of contact on the figure, however, was the beam suddenly getting cut off by a buzz of black sparks. A magical barrier.

Fortunately, he did get the figure's attention, which was the intent. It was laughing at him - a laugh that seemed to come from every direction, as though he was surrounded by an audience laughing in perfect sync.

"You are nothing without your Lord!" it bellowed.

Not quite true, Alex thought as he regained his battle pose. Although he was more powerful with Saradomin's power, and his upgrade did gave him a greater capacity, without his Lord he was still spending only his own power. Sartranomin couldn't power him up, because he wanted to continue a hidden presence on the world until the general populace was willing to accept his return. Not to mention Alex did already use much of his power fighting the revenants, and even that battle was entered in a less than ideal state after what happened with Hunt.

He was in no condition for a proper fight. But darn it if he wasn't going to try.

The figure stamped the ground, and in a heartbeat, a great boulder tore itself from the ground and hung in the air in front of its outstretched hand. Without a moment's hesitation, he flung it at the enogan warrior at a speed so great that the rock engulfed itself in flame.

Alex faced it head on. With the tip of his spear glowing, he thrust it right into the rock as it approached. A flash of lightning, and the boulder exploded in a frenzy of pebbles, revealing two more behind it rocketing at him at similar speeds. Without a moment to think, Alex threw his spear up into the air and thrust both hands forward. Just as they were about to make contact, he pulled them apart as though yanking open a double-door, and the boulders separated; each one passing beside him.

This revealed one more boulder - one twice as big and coming at him even faster. Yelling in intense effort, Alex thrust his left hand toward the boulder and yanked it to the side. The boulder veered course, aiming not at Alex, but at where he was pointing with his palm. He spun around on one leg a full circle, and the boulder orbited around him following the same path. Upon facing the figure again, he heaved forward, and the rock shot at it instead with renewed speed.

*KAPOW!*

The rock was blasted into dust by a well-timed punch. The figure retracted his extended fist and thrust both hands in the air. Alex felt a slight rumble from under him, and dove just in time to avoid getting engulfed in an eruption of hellfire that burst from the ground like a volcano.

But he didn't hit the ground from the dive. Instead, he felt a powerful jerk, and found that he was getting yanked telekinetically towards the figure, who was charging up another magic-infused punch to meet him with. To retaliate, he poured forth an intense amount of sparking energy into his spear and got ready for contact.

In an instant, the figure rocketed forward and delivered the punch, and the blow went right through Alex. Literally. He burst into a series of small round enogan blobs that scattered around the figure and rematerialized behind it. The spear still holding the charge, he struck the figure from behind, but the figure vanished in a flicker of black flame and reappeared across the battlefield. The attack discharged into nothingness, and the figure laughed at his close-but-no-dice attempt.

Gotta keep trying, Alex thought as his spear changed shape. Get some info about this opponent!

From the moulding metal jutted out a large, drop-shaped mace head, covered in long, thin spikes pointing in every direction. No sooner than it completed its formation did the spikes suddenly start jetting out small orbs in every direction at a rapid rate. Twirling the mace above his head resulted in the orbs scattering all around him, some even reaching the other end of the battlefield. A few of them hit the ground, but rather than dissipate and fizzle out like a flare, they exploded with a loud *POP*, leaving a small smouldering crater in its wake of ruptured mud.

The figure knew what was coming. The orbs were far too small to be effective by themselves as mines, and Alex appeared to have the ability to guide them around. As a result, it prepared itself. It stood upright with both arms crossed, holding its position and gathering power.

*PHZAM!*

In mid-twirl, Alex suddenly yanked the mace down with one hand and fired a beam of energy with the other. Not at the figure's head, but instead at its right elbow. It was a glancing blow, but because Alex's beam attacks were instant, the figure reacted by instinct.

*SHOOM!*

Now the orbs homed onto their target, and having lost his balance along with his defensive energy focus, he was sitting ducks!

"RAAAAAAAAAH!"

Before even one could come in contact, the figure yelled to the heavens, stretched both arms out, and engulfed itself in an intense shockwave, blowing away the attack in a series of loud POPs. The ground erupted all around it, causing a great wave of mud to burst out in every direction, and nearby rocks were cast from their resting places several hundred feet in the air.

It was an incredibly powerful and destructive area attack. However, at the distance, it lacked the power to do anything against Alex aside from blow his enogan helmet plume around slightly.

That was good. A premature power-attack. That will have weakened the figure quite a bit. Behind him, he heard Hunt laughing as the figure staggered slightly from the attack. Had his personality allowed it, he would've been applauding Alex. He didn't mind. In fact, the laugh reinforced his assumption.

Despite having weakened it slightly, Alex had also aggravated the figure. It suddenly stamped the ground in rage and hurled a frenzy of white-hot fireballs at Alex, who prepared for a well-timed dodge. When the fireballs were halfway across the field, it then cast a blast of dark energy at them, tripling their speed at the last second. Unable to dodge in time, Alex was engulfed in the fire, which exploded all around him, completely covering the area up in a hazardous green smoke.

Jason was just able to get Michael slung over his shoulder and run before he was consumed in the toxic cloud. Everything was happening so fast that he had to tear himself from being the cautious observer and just have faith in Alex's attack. However, the figure immediately turned its attention back to them and dashed forth with its fist engulfed in a sphere of black ethereal flame.

Unable to dodge with Michael's weight, Jason turned his body sideways to protect Michael and held his crystal sword up, ready to joust. It was folly, but he was not going to abandon his friend. If anything, he would focus on getting the sword into a vital point and take the hit for the team if it meant bringing down this monster. The figure pulled its fist back, bound forth with both legs, and released, launching the attack like a fireball right at Jason and hurling itself with sudden acceleration right at the hero for a follow-up.

Suddenly, a line of pale, cyanic metal looped itself around Jason's legs and yanked them down at the last second. Due to the unexpectedness of the maneuver, the figure's attack uncontrollably shot right over Jason and exploded harmlessly against a small hill behind him, wiping it from existence. Unfortunately, the figure shifted course in mid-air and instead opted for an elbow smash attack, and with Jason stunned on the ground, he was wide open.

But then another line of metal strung itself around the figure's legs and yanked it back in mid-air, pulling both Jason and the figure away from each other. In between, a large glob of the metal materialized from the ground and morphed back into the enogan warrior, who had both arms still extended into the whip-like lines. His right line left Jason and returned to a normal arm. The left retracted a bit, suddenly yanking the figure back with enough force to break a human spine to prevent it from sending a focused dark charge through the line.

Like a sling, Alex swung the figure around over his head. Then he leapt up into the air, heaved it up and over, and with a mid-air flip, flung the figure right into the ground in front of him. Still airborne, he then thrust his other arm forward, and it extended to form a series of long, pointed tendrils that stretched forth and jutted right at the figure to impale it as it made contact with the ground.

*BOOOOOOM!*

Alex yanked the tendrils back and forced himself to fall. The figure engulfed itself into another shockwave to slow its decent and stop Alex's follow-up with another premature power attack! Was the figure really this crazy with its power, or was it only really showing off a fraction of what it could do?

Alex landed, and nearly fell to one knee. Separating to avoid getting punched, turning his spear into a mace, melting into the ground to minimize the fireball damage, stretching out to several times his length to incorporate a lasso technique, and even the arm extension; all this shape-shifting was taking a toll on his stamina. He was reaching his limit, whereas the figure was unleashing all its might just to prevent a stunning slam attack.

He would have to act fast now.

"What's the matter?" Hunt called as he started gathering power, "You not going to do that thing you did for me? Take him out where he stands?"

"I had exhausted myself over that ocean." Alex called back, "Gotta give it a few days to recharge."

Alex stamped the ground himself, and it lit up. A flurry of light beads zipped around him, spinning great circles and twists of light around him in the mud.

"However, to stall for time, this one will do just fine." he said. His voice boomed several times louder, and a powerful reverberating echo was heard.

The clouds above Alex swirled ominously, lit up by the condensing energy in both his hands, which he outstretched on both sides. Several blasts of lightning cracked out in random directions from overhead, striking the glowing circle. Alex slowly pushed his hands up towards the sky, and his body began to weightlessly float into the air, engulfed in a frenzy of spinning lights. With the intensity of the charge-up, the figure wisely kept its distance.

"Ancient warriors, hear my verse!
I summon your might to dark disperse!
Against all odds, you stood to fight
Through endless flame and blackened light.
With restless death been cast to lore;
Come forth to regain your glory once more!"

With a powerful yell, he rocketed to the ground and, upon contact, trust both hands into the light. Immediately, the circle dissipated, rushing directly into Alex's hands.

With great effort, he tore them from the ground, pulling up a bright white light along with them in each hand. The glare forced everyone to instinctively shield their eyes and let them adjust. Stretching his hands up, the light rose to nearly nine feet high before it was fully out of the ground.

At first, they appeared to be large blobs. The light they were emitting was blinding to look at, and it completely changed the atmosphere of the battleground around them from dark and gloomy to brilliant and energetic. But once the eyes adjusted, they in fact saw that, on either side of Alex, towered two great dragons, standing upright on their hind legs and using their wings and tails for balance. They wore large, bulky plate armor covering their chests and legs, and each of their frontal claws held forth large thick swords, complimented by a drop-shaped buckler attached to their wrists.

The heroes stared in utter shock. Even the figure watched at a distance with curiosity. Did Alex just summon forth some revenants?

No, not quite revenants. Upon closer examination, they saw that rather than a condensed form of gas, their bodies were composed purely of outlined light. In between the highlights of their scales and plate armor was nothing. Also, unlike revenants, they retained their lower bodies and stood powerfully in large, smoothed greaves, ready for action. Alex stood upright with his hands clasped together, his head down and eyes focused.

The left dragon turned its head slightly to look at the one on the right. The one on the right turned in the same fashion for the same purpose. Both of them nodded to each other slightly with a smile. Suddenly, they both bounded high into the air and converged into individual orbs of light, which spiralled around Alex several times before rocketing not at the figure, but the ground right in front of him.

On contact, they converged into one, which suddenly rocketed out in both east and west directions, leaving a long trail of light in their wake. Slowly, it faded away.

And then… nothing else.

Alex ceased his focus and fell to the ground on his knees, gasping hard (which was a trait he now had that the heroes only recently noticed). His back was bubbling slightly; he had difficulty controlling his form.

After a moment, he got up and turned back to the heroes.

"Come on. Let's go." he said.

But everyone just stared. He was treating the situation as though he had just torn the figure's head off and stuck it onto his spear for the world to see. Not only was the figure completely unaffected by the final summoning, but it didn't even leave a trace that it ever happened. And now Alex completely had his back turned!

"DO NOT TOY WITH ME!" the figure yelled. He heaved forth an enormous ball of black flame nearly the size of a house and hurled it at the heroes with both hands.

*VRRYOUUM!*

Suddenly, the fireball made contact. A wave of white light flashed across the battlefield and the fireball, now coated in a white outline, suddenly hurled back towards the figure, who dove out of the way. The wave fizzled into a series of sparks rising up from the ground, and the outline that flashed when the dragon spirits dove into the ground reappeared for a moment before fading out again.

Suddenly, they all saw it. Alex had created a great wall, stretching all the way across the borderline of the wilderness.

The figure screamed and slammed its fist into the wall. Another flash of light, and it was thrown back with even greater force.

Alex stooped down and took half of Michael's weight from Jason before flicking his gauntlet forward, gesturing a retreat.

"What in the Lord's name did you summon?" Jason asked, watching the figure flail at the wall to no avail.

"They were the spirits of the two White Dragon brothers, Ethokaylim and Imdokaylim." Alex said. He paused for a bit as a joke, as he knew there was no way Jason would know the story. He heard it straight from Gia, after all.

"Long ago the dragonkin, allied with the power of Zaros, staged a siege against the great White Dragon city Aeynahathzin. They lured their army out, and wiped them all out in one fell swoop.

At the same time, the two brothers were returning from travelling abroad to reunite with their family in this very city. Their mother had finally given birth to their baby sister, and once they got the message, they hurried home straight away.

With the army defeated and the siege turning to invasion, they were the final two mighty warriors who stood as a last resort to protect their ancient city. Known far and wide for their stamina and endurance, they devoted themselves to hold back the enemy while those unable to fight the menace evacuated.

It was glorious battle that lasted for 4 days. The resolve was impenetrable; to protect their family and everything they held dear. Their teamwork was flawless; covering each others' back at all times. Together, they stood at the gates, sacrificing their lives to let nothing through. Through rot and famine, they continued to fight back, disregarding injury and personal health whenever it didn't immediately cripple them.

It took all of two thousand dragonkin to bring them down. They were able to breath their last breaths with the dragonkin in full retreat, regretting nothing but to have never gotten a chance to see their sister."

"I've seen you summon spells and artifacts like Pureblade," Momsrascal said, "But never White Dragons."

"It's a new technique of mine that I regained from my quest." Alex explained, "With enogan armor, which conducts and moves with majiya, I was able to create a more focused anchor than a mere summon of power. One so powerful that, when tuned to the right frequency, can pull forth spirits such as myself."

"You can summon light spirits, then, to fight for you." Jason said.

"Well, to an extent." Alex replied, "It's a very risky technique. Like my spell-summon, the drawback to my spirit-summon is that I can not control what I summon. Usually I don't know what I'm going to get, or if the spirits I call forth even want to help. It takes up a lot of my power, too, so I have to be extra-careful of my choice."

There was another loud *VRYOOM*. The figure attempted to teleport through the wall, but even that caused it to make the wall flash and it suddenly reappear in time to stop itself from slamming backwards into the ground.

"The barrier's not going to last an hour if he keeps up at it." Alex observed, "Let's get out of here!"

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 1:16 pm 
Chat Moderator

The figure laughed to itself as it watched the Heroes running south on the other side of the barrier.

"Run. Gather your strengths and return, then perhaps we can have a real fight." It said and then turned and said, "Sazanna, play 'catch' with the wall and test it. See how long it lasts and how much power it can withstand. I must go to the Ritual. It has been a long time since I have been and I may have to discipline some of them..."

"Yes, my Liege." Sazanna replied and then walked towards the wall and flicked out her wrist blades. She made an 'X' figure by crossing her blades and then started channeling energy into it, creating an orb of rapidly changing colors at the tips of her weapons. After some time she released it in a powerful, yet majestic, move which sent the orb flying towards the wall at a velocity so high that mortal eyes could not see it.

*BOOOM!*

The orb hit the wall with a sound so loud even the retreating Heroes on the other side could hear it. Unlike before, the spell was not immediately repelled. Instead, the wall rippled with white light from the contact point. Once the ripples had disappeared and the wall was again invisible there was another loud sound as the orb was hurdled back at Sazanna from the point where it had initially hit the wall.

*BOOOM!*

There was an explosion of white light as the orb reached Sazanna. When the light cleared (only a moment or so later), there was Sazanna, holding the orb of power between her blades in the same original 'X' position.

"Hmm, you are an interesting adversary indeed." She said to the wall in a tone that was mostly filled with mischief more so than awe or fear. "Can you withstand volleys, though?" She asked.

The wall made no motion of response.

The orb of power which had been spinning rapidly began to slow. She then lifted it up on one blade and flung it at the wall. It bounced off directly back at her again, to which she deflected it with the other weapon. This continued for quite some time until the orb was moving nearly as fast as it had previously been when she had fired the first intense orb. In a quick move she caught it, and the wall rippled as if it had been expecting her to deflect it again.

"Worthy indeed...you are good at predicting in a split second even...that surpasses most." She said to the wall as she tossed the orb of power between her blades as if it were a basketball. "But," she started, "how do you do against...the UNPREDICTABLE?!" At this she pulled the orb into to orbs of seemingly equal strength to the first and launched them in the opposite direction at the wall. Upon contact with the wall (which happened nearly instantly as they were moving almost as fast as the first super orb) there was a loud *BOOM!* and a flash of light as they were deflected back to her at the exact same angle. She moved to the side and caught both orbs and the backflipped and threw one at the upper part of the wall and one at the lower part. Again they were deflected with the same *BOOM!* and flash of light. She deflected them again in a split second and then tumbled alongside the length of the wall. The orb was deflected at a perfect angle to intercept her when she finished her tumble, to which she deflected it again.

She and the wall continued this 'competition' for a long time as she traversed up and down the length of the wall. She would always deflect the orb at a different location so as to test the entirety of the wall. The wall always gave the same result, a loud crack like lightning, a flash of light, and ripples from where the orb hit.

Finally she deflected one orb to a point on the wall fairly far away and one fairly close. She then did a tumble away. The close orb was deflected back to where her tumble would end but instead of being deflected by her again it crashed against the ground in a large explosion of power, creating a somewhat smallish crater.

"Hmm, missed me by a mile, didn't you?" She said as she appeared half a mile away from the crater. By now the other orb of power had been deflected and was heading towards where she was now. She caught it as if totally expecting it.

She had been at it for half an hour by now and though the Heroes had been good progress towards Falador they could still hear the cracks and booms when the orb hit.

"Let's try one final thing, shall we?" She said, still in the same mischievous tone which did not even have the slightest bit of rapid breathing. She crossed her wrist blades again as she had initially done and then began reciting something. The orb of power she had caught seemed to lessen and finally dissipate and for a long time there seemed to be noticeable result from her recitation. Then a darkness began forming at the center of the 'X' where the two blades crossed. It seemed to be...a black hole. As if she was conjuring a black hole that was being held by her weapons. Nothing could be seen through the hole, not even her weapons as could usually be seen through the orb of power. Pebbles, dirt, stones - anything which was not firmly secured to the ground began being pushed away. Not from her, but from the sphere of darkness. And then-

She vanished.

The battlefield was completely quiet. The dirt settled and stones laid back on the ground. The wall remained motionless.

*SNAP!*

The sphere of darkness shot forth from where she had been and blasted towards the wall at an incredible speed. On contact there was no sound like there had been previously. The wall merely rippled with white light which slowly turned black.

*VWRRRRROOOMSSHHH!*

White light exploded from the point of contact in a nova and emanated forth. The wall of light began waving like a flag in high winds and a sound coinciding with this was heard - the sound of a huge flag waving in the air, only it was much deeper. The light began to fade and in a few moments the battlefield was quiet again. Sazanna appeared where she had been and walked towards where the wall had been and touched it with her weapon.

It went right through.

She chuckled to herself and said, "Not invulnerable, but a good deterrent indeed, Alex."

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 1:16 pm 
Chat Moderator

PostPosted: October 16th, 2011, 10:56 pm 
Chat Moderator

Returning from a retreat was always much more difficult than returning from a victory. Or even not returning at all. The mood was grim, the morale had plummeted, and the damage was done.

It was not just the wasted efforts; it was the casualties. In a victorious circumstance, families grieving the losses would always have the gratitude that they died for a righteous cause, and that if not for them, their world would've become a very different place. Statues would be built and holidays hosted, where the streets would come alive in a celebration of glory, and everybody would party twice as hard to make up for the permanently absent.

However, in defeat there was not much to be said about their sacrifice, as there was nothing to show for it. "They died so we could escape" was hardly worthwhile in its own right; in fact, it sounded downright selfish. "They fought for a noble cause but we just weren't strong enough" not only portrayed weakness in their cause, but also demeaned the dead with nothing short of a direct insult.

All that remained was to swear vengeance for the families. That the survivors would devote every last effort they could to avenge their deaths. And this was always done.

That's why wars existed, after all. Not because of power. Not because of greed. Not because of domination.

Wars were fought because one side lost.

Even faking a positive outlook didn't do Alex any good. The heroes were the only ones who remained from the scouting party, and even then they were in poor condition. Michael had just regained consciousness and was staggering with both arms around Alex's and Karmadin's shoulders while Jason hauled Elise on his back. Even Hunt stomped through the streets in a bad mood, muttering strange words to himself.

They were all exhausted and miserable. They strode through the town avoiding eye contact. Fortunately for them, Hunt gave off his usual negative aura and kept inquisitors well enough away. At least he was good for something, if not a minor convenience.

Night fell faster than any of them anticipated. Returning to the Tower would have to wait until morning. Or at least when they could ensure Falador could hold its ground against a possible second revenant attack.

To further avoid a public confrontation and get some proper rest, they took advantage of the rather large vacancy at the Silver Plume Inn, located in the western shadow of the White Knight castle. They took rooms in two; Michael and Elise, Jason and Karmadin (he didn't want a debriefing until after he was rested), and Alex and Hunt.

Elise had finally woken up from her unconscious state, and thanks to that, he was hardly tired at all. The moon was high in the sky as she wandered from room to room, trying to figure out where everybody else was. Her efforts were rewarded when he noticed a bright light coming from the crack under the door of the far room on the third floor. Finding the door unlocked, she silently opened it and wandered in. Nobody commented on her not-knocking first.

She found Alex sitting cross-legged on the ground, facing the wall. Extending out of his back and running across the ground, he had three small enogan pillars jutting straight upward. His head was bowed down and his hands were in his lap, and the wall in front of him was bathed in a soft, flickering cyan light.

"Who are you praying to?" she asked.

Alex didn't respond until several seconds after she asked.

"Saradomin." he replied.

Her eyes widened slightly.

"But, I thought Saradomin was gone."

Another pause, and Alex nodded, "Yeah. He is."

Now Elise was confused.

"Then why are you praying to him?"

Yet another pause.

"We pay respects to our dead." Alex replied, "Why should Gods be no different?"

It was sound reasoning, Elise admitted.

"I'm sorry." she said, "You're a spirit warrior of Saradomin. Losing him must be like losing everything you've ever had."

The light changed, but Alex remained motionless. Elise could only guess what emotion was plastered on his self-moulding visor.

"Saradomin wasn't just my God." he said, his voice deepened, "He was my father. He raised me. Trained me. Gave me instructions and missions. Gave me purpose; something to fight for."

"His voice was always so clear to me." he said, "But now, it's gone. It makes me feel… empty. Somewhat discarded."

He raised his head, and the wall grew brighter.

"But I will keep trying." he resolved, "I don't care if I will never hear from him, or any God again. I will keep on trying. Not for myself, but to let them know that I will never abandon him."

He closed his eyes and nodded slightly, as though a split personality was agreeing with what he just said.

"Besides, I could never shake the feeling that somewhere, somehow, he is not truly gone. So I keep on trying, in the hopes that one day I will get a response again."

He finally turned his head.

"Why? Is there something wrong?" he asked.

"No, I just… I thought I heard you talking to someone."

Alex cocked his head to the left. Elise looked at his bed and found herself staring into the cold, emotionless mask of Hunt. He too was sitting cross-legged and focused, identical to Alex. However, the room was darker where he sat, and a cold breeze seemed to emanate from him.

Summoning up some courage, she approached.

"And who do you pray to?" she asked.

Hunt chuckled, but otherwise didn't respond. She felt she wasn't going to get anything out of him, and any further questioning would result in a mentally scarring death threat.

Alex broke the silence, "You all right? No permanent damage?"

"Still a bit of a headache." was her answer, "But otherwise…"

The enogan warrior stood up and approached her, letting the lines out of his back extend so the pillars remained. With his new armor, he was slightly taller than usual, so to make sure Elise didn't feel insignificant, he bent down in a crouch until he was eye-level with her.

"You should get some sleep." he advised, "The barrier will have fallen by now. We should all be ready in case we are attacked again."

"Yeah… but before that…"

She gazed into Alex's electric cyan eyes.

"Jason told us about how you summoned a couple of White Dragon spirits." she said, "How exactly did you do that? Since when did you learn of such an ability?"

Alex closed his eyes and smiled for a second.

"Ah, that."

He closed his eyes and focused his senses, making sure there was nobody else outside, listening in.

"Truth be told, it wasn't an ability I just learned over my months of rest." Alex explained, "When I got my armor back, I also got back my memories of my past life."

He glanced over at Hunt, who remained motionless. Deciding that he wasn't going to negatively impact the story he was about to tell, he paid the golden warrior no regards and continued.

"It turns out that I was alive during those ages of the White Dragons, as Allezyamos, serving under Lord Saradomin as a watcher. It was the White Dragons against the Dragonkin. Many battles were fought, and many on both sides were slain gruesomely. I've heard story after story from Gia, but with my memories returned, I now have so much more about that age to tell.

Being a watcher meant that I observed the battles for my Lord as he dealt with more important matters. Back then, though, despite the remarkable abilities of the White Dragons and the never-ending persistence of the Dragonkin, I soon found myself growing bored of it."

Elise was in disbelief, "You got bored of watching battles?"

"You'd be surprised at how boring life becomes after thousands of years if it's the same thing all the time." Alex said matter-of-factly. He dropped his arms and sank from a crouch onto his knees. Elise sat down as well.

"Anyways, to help atone for my boredom, I took up a hobby. A collection. The planet providing so much to offer, all I had to do was help myself. Like collecting rocks from a glacier."

"What kind of collection?" she asked.

Alex paused for dramatic effect.

"A collection of White Dragon heroes."

Elise stared in shock.

"You… enslaved them?!" she half-shouted.

"No, no! Of course not!" Alex said, "Unlike the one who enslaved the barrows brothers, I only collected White Dragons that had already died in battle. I collected their spirits, before they passed into nothingness."

The look of shock did not leave her face. To be prevented eternal peace to instead be used in a collection… that was heartless!

To her surprise, Alex started chuckling.

"I know what you're thinking." he said, "What sort of righteous Saradomin spirit am I to contain those deserving a fair death?"

Alex had her attention completely. For the first time, she was learning of a darker side of his.

"Elise, the White Dragons were bred for war by Lord Saradomin himself so that they may contest the dragonkin." Alex explained, "And let all the other creatures live in peace. It was their devoted fighting that let the rest of the world live in a contemporary peace. And once they went extinct and the peace they fought to protect died off, the world revolted against them, leading up to Zaros' defeat and the banishment of the dragonkin."

His eyes curved slightly, and a look of sorrow began to creep over his visor.

"When I found Gia, he had a very hard time understanding peace at first." he told her, "As a White Dragon, he was taught to embrace war and fight for Saradomin's cause as a sworn protector. And in that day and age, the entire world was consumed in such a war. Every day, he trained for battle. He swung a sword. Never a hammer.

But in our day and age, aside from a few battles here and there and the usual struggle for survival, there were places in the world where people and creatures alike could just live without worry or regret.

I thought he would adjust to it and accept it as a contemporary sort of heaven for him. But I was wrong. Outside, he told me that he was having the time of his life. Practicing the art of smithing, creating strange, wondrous contraptions he had dreamt up.

But every time he looked at his sword, leaning against the wall, I saw it clear as day.

He felt lost. Empty. As though stripped of a cause."

Her eyes widened.

"Just like you having lost Saradomin." she surmised.

Alex's shoulders relaxed. The look of sorrow completely infested his helmet.

"Yes." he said, "Just like that."

He took his time in forcing away the overcoming emotion. Hunt shifted over slightly, breaking the silence.

"Like Gia, the race of White Dragons didn't know peace." Alex continued, "They would not find peace in the world, let alone in death. They did not fear death, but at the same time, they could not embrace it."

Alex looked Elise right in the eyes. She blinked several times to adjust to the directed light.

"Do you remember the story Captain Wrean told us about Gia's final moment? That he went down fighting even death as it enveloped him?"

On bringing the bones back to the Tower, Wrean spared no detail when he told the heroes what he had witnessed. Sailors always made good storytellers, and the old captain was no exception. He told about how he saw Gia stand at the ready, with the darkness of death already clouding his eyes. With nothing left but will, he fought. Fought death to the last stand. Fought it, downed it, and planted his sword into it in one final, desperate attempt. And with the final victory, if but for a brief second, Wrean could see a smile of relief cross his jaw before he was wiped away into nothingness. That after so long, having crossed generations of time, his fight was finally, finally over.

"Same thing with the other White Dragons." Alex said, "Each one died with a sword in hand.

In death, they continued to battle, and as Allezyamos, I respected them for that. As they breathed their last, I would go down to the planet in the form of a vision, and offer them the choice of moving on, or becoming part of my collection. So that they may relive their glory once again, I would transform them into spirits so they may continue to fight Saradomin's cause like I did and still do. Otherwise, I would simply allow them to die."

"To a White Dragon, becoming an eternally preserved warrior is a fate they deserve much more than a peace-less death. To be able to continue to serve their Lord and fight for the freedoms of all the world's many creatures… they were only too proud and honoured to accept."

Alex leaned closer.

"I searched my memory very thoroughly." he said, "There is not one instance that I can recall where a White Dragon hero refused my proposal."

Elise had listened very intently. By how Alex had described it, she suddenly found herself looking at the White Dragon race with new eyes. Up until now, she thought them to be peace-loving creatures of intelligence and devotion. Hearing now that they were true protectors of the holy good, sacrificing a life of plenty for the selfless ambition of becoming the military might of the world, she gained a whole new respect for them.

She also had to respect Alex for what he did for them. But even more so that he now had practically an army of spiritual White Dragon heroes at his disposal.

But one question still lingered in her mind.

"So then… can you summon Gia?" she asked. He was an incredible warrior, and she didn't doubt that, as a White Dragon, he would want to fight with them again for as long as he could.

But Alex shook his head.

"I dare not try." Alex replied, "Unlike the rest of his race, he had learned of peace. Instead of destroy, he learned to create. To thrive. To live. And therefore, he died in peace. To attempt to summon him would yank him from his peace and destroy him."

Had Alex the ability, he would be shedding tears now.

"I could not do that to my best friend. Not even to save my own life."

He stood up.

"That's enough for one night." he said, returning to his pillars, "Go get some rest. You'll need it in the days to come."

Now sated for things to think about, Elise bowed her leave, took one last scornful glance at Hunt (no reaction), and left, softly closing the door behind her. Alex remained in silence for a minute, listening carefully to her footsteps as they quickly faded away. Then after a quick glance at Hunt, he turned back to face the wall and sat down once again. His eyes closed as he bowed his head down.

"You still there?" he asked.

"Yes." replied Sartranomin, "And that was a very nice thing you said to her. About praying to a God that no longer exists so that he may perhaps know you will never give him up."

"I was hoping you liked it." Alex replied, smiling slightly, "These days, we need all the hope we can get."

They were both silent for a time, and there was not a sound but the very faint rustling of leaves outside the inn. Alex heard something creak just outside his room.

"You miss him." his Lord observed.

"I do, my Lord. Very much." Alex admitted, "I can only pretend I don't, and even doing that hurts."

There were clouds in the night sky, and no light emitted from outside the window, so Alex's eyes and symbol were the only sources of light in that room. Therefore, the atmosphere in the room matched his emotion. With his state of sorrow, it wavered slightly, dimming with each passing second like a candle at the end of its wick. With a burst of mental effort, he forced the past from his mind back to present, and the light picked back up to represent a solid, sectional light like one that came out of a battle staff orb.

"Anyways, as I was saying,.." Alex said slowly, "The Unknown and I only have one more to fill, and then he's gone for good."

"HAH!"

Alex jumped. Hunt was so silent this whole time that, for a moment, he forgot he was in the room.

"And good riddance, too." Hunt replied, "You have any idea how difficult it was for me to not intervene during that battle? They were fighting revenants! REVENANTS!"

"I imagine if a human had to sit out fighting a bunch of medium-rare steak dinners, he wouldn't have the patience like you did." Alex said with annoyance and a touch of sarcasm. Nearly the entire battle, Alex could hear Hunt muttering impatiently in his head. Alongside the battle, it was mentally frustrating to keep up wits against Hunt to prevent him from joining the fight. After all, how else could he explain defeating revenants by sucking them into his own body to power himself up?

Thank goodness he wasn't able to get Karmadin to make him fight. That would not have ended well...

"I will take that as a compliment." Hunt muttered.

"I will be able to sleep more easily once he is forever out of mind." was his Lord's reply. The tone of voice made Alex's smile and Hunt's frown widen.

"When do you expect to get it done?"

"Before the event, I hope." Alex replied, "Wouldn't want to miss it. Only happens every 500 years, after all."

PostPosted: October 31st, 2011, 4:12 pm 
Chat Moderator

"If this isn't a battle for the ages..." She said as the three watched the battle, "I had long suspected one of our kind lay hidden in the desert. I did not expect him to be so involved in the Mortal's quest though." They watched as General Khazard and some of his men fought two Temple Knight Commanders and the Mahjarrat Wahisietel as well as a Mortal. At last the Knights and Mortal defeated Khazard's men but the General teleported away before they could finish him.

"After all these centuries he is still a coward..." She remarked as they moved towards the Ritual site.

"Reveal yourself, Khazard, you coward!" Wahisietel said.

Rather than the defeated General appearing, a darker Mahjarrat wielding an ornate staff appeared and laughed.

"Lucien!" She gasped, "How did he get the Staff of Armadyl?!"

"I will tell you later." Skyrate replied.

Lucien summoned Ice Titan's but they were quickly destroyed by the Mortal and Temple Knights. Then the dark Mahjarrat summoned an army of Ice Demons.

"DESTROY THEM ALL!" Lucien commanded as he stood near the altar.

The battle was very close until another Mahjarrat, Sliske, appeared and summoned with him the Barrow Brothers, his minions.

"I GROW WEARY OF THIS BATTLE!" Lucien boomed after the Mortal, Wahisietel, and Sliske along with his minions, defeated the last Ice Demon. "IT IS TIME FOR THE RITUAL." He boomed, "COME FORTH MY BRETHREN!"

Many Mahjarrats teleported in, among them were Enakhra, Akthanakos, Zemouregal, Azzanadra, General Khazard, and Hazeel.

"Shah! Finally we may be rid of Akthanakos! Sacrifice him!" Enakhra said with a hiss towards her nemesis which stood across from her.

"Bahk! We all know you grow weak and thus should be Sacrificed! Only the strong may be rejuvenated!" Akthanakos retaliated.

"SILENCE! THE SACRIFICE HAS BEEN CHOSEN!" Lucien commanded.

"And who made you the great decision maker, Lucien?" A Deep booming voice said which echoed around the plateau and seemed to come from everywhere.

The three turned to see a tall, dark, figure walking towards the group of Mahjarrat.

"So I see him again...it has been a long time..." She commented to herself and the other two.

"HAH! THE PRODIGAL SHOWS HIS WORTHLESS FACE FINALLY? YOU HAVE NOT COME TO THE PREVIOUS TWO RITUALS, WHAT MAKES YOU THINK WE'LL LISTEN TO YOU HERE?" Lucien boomed.

"It is a well known fact that the more powerful a Mahjarrat that is Sacrificed is, the more power we receive. I propose we Sacrifice NATALYA!" Again his voice emanated from the very ground. The Mortal and Temple Knights shuddered slightly and even some of the other Mahjarrat looked as if they were trembling on the inside.

"Show yourself Natalya Norodrium! I know you are here...coward...You have missed the past 10 Rituals!" He commanded.

"Are you sure he can't feel us?" She asked her comrades.

"Yes." Skyrate replied.

After a few minutes of silence Lucien broke out in laughter, "AHAHAHAHAHA! AGAIN YOU COME TO US WITH FALSE HOPES! IGNORANT FOOL! WE SHALL SACRIFICE JHALLAN!" At this he summoned forth the frozen Mahjarrat, Jhallan.

"The last 3 times a Zarosian Mahjarrat has been Sacrificed! I think it is high time a Zamorakian fills the altar! Who better, like my friend Dulcien says, than one so powerful? YOU, Lucien!" Wahisietel said and pointed at Lucien.

"HAHAHA! ALL FOLLOWERS OF ZAROS ARE FOOLS! I AM NO LONGER A FOLLOWER OF ANYONE! I AM LUCIEN, LORD AND MASTER OF ALL MAHJARRAT! MOST POWERFUL OF ALL! WE SHALL SACRIFICE THE KNAVE JHALLAN THIS TIME AND NEXT TIME WE SHALL SACRIFICE YOU, WAHISIETEL!" Lucien boomed again and began preparing Jhallan for Sacrifice.

However he was interrupted by Wahisietel attacking him. At this, Sliske and Azzanadra began fighting Zemouregal, who summoned his bodyguard Sharathteerk. Zemouregal summoned armoured undead and Sliske summoned the Barrows brothers again. Dulcien drew the curved sword on his back and then jumped into the fray and pulled Sharathteerk out and began battling him.

"I desire easy prey before I consume your master." He spoke, directly to Sharathteerk.

"Grauhk! Easy to say but hard to accomplish!" Sharathteerk said as he ducked the swing from Dulcien and then counter-swung at Dulcien's chest. Instantly the gargoyle's hand was caught by Dulcien's right hand. He twisted it and then with a swift stroke of his sword cut the hand clean off from the elbow down. The rest of Sharathteerk's arm began to turn into ash and blow away in the winds being made from the surrounding battles.

"No! Sharathteerk!" Zemouregal yelled as he narrowly missed being hit by Azzanadra, "I will not let you take him, Dulcien!" The Mahjarrat necromancer summoned a portal beside Dulcien and cast a jet of black smoke towards Sharathteerk. The smoke surrounded Sharathteerk and then rapidly dissipated, revealing that Sharathteerk was gone. Through the portal stepped Arrav who swung at Dulcien but missed as the Mahjrrat ducked and swiftly came up behind the undead warrior. He picked Arrav up by the neck and belt and hurled him away. He landed with a loud THUD near the Mortal who began fighting Arrav as he stood up.

"Lucien shall pay." Dulcien shouted as he jumped over the battle and landed with a large tremor near Lucien. He swung his sword and Lucien blocked with the Staff of Armadyl. Simultaneously the two Mahjarrat kicked each other, sending both rolling backwards.

Meanwhile the Mortal fought Arrav and strategically led him towards a stone containing Arrav's stolen heart. As he approached he began to break free of Zemouregal's control. Finally having his heart back, he broke free and charged the necromancer. Under the attacks of Sliske, Azzanadra, and Arrav, Zemouregal pleaded with Lucien, "Cousin, help me! Destroy these fools and together we will remove Dulcien!"

"WEAKLING! HANDLE THEM YOURSELF IF YOU THINK YOU'RE FIT TO SERVE ME! OR DIE AND REMOVE A WORRY FROM ME." Came Lucien's booming reply as he continued to fight Wahisietel and Dulcien.

"Lucien has gone mad! We must team up to destroy him, my brothers!" Zemouregal said in a last attempt to save himself. The Mahjarrat's attacking him and Arrav stopped and considered this and then they all turned to fight Lucien. Azzanadra took a moment to tell the Mortal something and then went towards Lucien.

"STOP! IT IS TIME FOR THE RITUAL!" Lucien commanded.

Seemingly required to, all the Mahjarrats stopped fighting and lined up around the altar. Lucien put Jhallan into position and then initiated the Ritual. Jhallan's body was consumed by the power of the altar and a darkness poured forth from the altar towards each of the Mahjarrat.

"Ahhh!" She said in relief as she soaked up the power, despite there not being a line of darkness coming towards her, "It is good to feel the Rejuvenation again."

"The Ritual is completed, now you will die and return to me the Staff of Armadyl!" Dulcien shouted, his voice coming directly from him. He placed his right hand on Azzanadra's back and a blackness swirled about the two Mahjarrat. Finally Azzanadra and Dulcien each released a blast of power, doing severe damage to Lucien.

"HAHAHAHAHA! YOUR PATHETIC COMBINED POWER IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE LORD OF THE MAHJARRAT AND THE STONE OF JAS!" Lucien said with a shrug and a motion of the staff. The Stone of Jas appeared next to him and he touched it. A wave of force blasted everything away from Lucien except the other Mahjarrats.

"NOW NONE CAN DEFEAT ME!" He boomed.

Three Dragonkin flew in and shouted, "You are no god, False User, just anotoher fool who believes they can manipulate the power of the Stone, like other fools before!" and then dove at him. He quickly defeated the first one and then the second by slamming it into the ground after it picked him up. He had lost the staff, however, when the second one picked him up. Dulcien went to take the staff but the third dragonkin grabbed it before him and hit Lucien on the back with it, shattering it.

"Foolish birds! HOW DARE YOU DESTROY THAT ARTIFACT? THE DRAGONKIN SHALL PAY AT THE HANDS OF ZAROS!" Dulcien's voice thundered around the entire plateau. At this the third Dragonkin turned to Dulcien and then back to Lucien who he now stood over. He took a shard of the staff of Armadyl and stabbed the fallen Mahjarrat with it. Lucien's body flattened as if being deflated.

At the fall of Lucien all the Mahjarrat except for Dulcien and Azzanadra teleported away. The Dragonkin stood up and looked towards the two remaining Mahjarrat and said, "Flee! You relatives of the False One! Know that those who try to use the Stone will share in the same fate as this fallen one!"

"I did not care about your worthless pebble before today, but now you have made Dulcien your enemy by destroying that which he sought, the Staff of Armadyl. Know that from here on the Dragonkin shall be hunted by Dulcien. And this pebble of power which you hold dear will be taken for his own, when the time is ripe."

"Blasphemy! You will pay now for your actions! None may touch the Stone of Jas!" The Dragonkin replied.

"NONE DEFY DULCIEN!" He replied and stretched his arm out and touched the stone. The Dragonkin approached him but a swing of his sword sent a wave of power towards them, knocking them against a cliff face which made holes where they hit. When the Dragonkin stood up the two Mahjarrat were gone, but the Stone of Jas remained. They hissed at the Mortals and then left.

"Great...because of the Dragonkin Dulcien has now been enchanted by the Stone of Jas. That will make him more powerful than we had planned." She said.

"I will have to fight him before you can banish him. If you fight him straight off he would kill you and then the world would have no hope. You're the only Mahjarrat willing to do this, Natalya. For that the world would thank you, if they were only able to know."

PostPosted: November 14th, 2011, 9:03 pm 
Chat Moderator

I apologize for taking so long. I have a reason, but I'm not going to tell you.

THE MORNING BEFORE THE RITUAL

Waking up to bright sunlight made Alex somewhat miserable. Since he had not been having envisionments anymore (for whatever reason), he had instead been enjoying his dreams for once. They wouldn't thrust him out of them anymore, waking him up at unnecessarily early times, and for the first time in many years, he was getting some good sleep.

They were good dreams. Dreams of when Gia was still alive. Dreams of being taught by Lord Saradomin. Dreams of adventuring across the land, above the clouds and through underground caverns, sailing vast seas and striding endless deserts. He didn't want them to end. So despite the warmth and uplifting nature of the light, Alex still found reason to despise it.

Regardless, he still preferred it to waking up to bright sunlight which rumbled the ground with a loud blast of noise and faded out in an instant.

Which is what he just did.

Spear materialized in hand, he leapt through the window and was presented with an incredible pillar of flame stretched in front of him. Nearly every building around was covered in it. A loud banging of a gong was coming from the castle, but it was silenced immediately which an explosion of flame jetting out through every hole of its mighty walls.

What the heck was happening? Was it that figure? He broke through the barrier and was now seeking out revenge. To take down all the heroes in one swoop as they recovered. Dirty, but an effective tactic. He landed and dashed towards the castle, keeping his eyes focused for a target in the midst of all the flame. Because of the castle's explosion, he knew there had to be something inside.

Suddenly, to his shock, the town was coming to life. Civilians dashing out of their burning houses, trying to put their clothes out. White Knights charging out for combat. Guards lighting the sky up with flaming arrows (not that there was much choice). It wasn't just him that slept through it. In fact, by what it appeared, he was one of the first to awaken. But the town was so full of fire, he would've believed he had slept through at least an hour of battle. What was going on?

Another burst of flame from the castle, and Alex approached the moat. He was at the southwestern side, and the castle's only entrance was north. A minor inconvenience. With a powerful stride and a leap, Alex sailed over the moat, planted both feet on the ground at the other end, and sprang upwards. His enogan armor, being a material based off an ethereal power, was not properly affected by gravity (Alex literally had to keep himself pulled down to Earth), so scaling the tower was easy enough.

Alex tore open the trapdoor and leapt down, not bothering with the ladder (it was on fire, anyways). The sight was devastating. Tapestries engulfed in flame, weapon racks and torch chains dripping molten metal, piles of armor covered in ash strewn about without any traces of bodies left inside. Even the stone walls themselves were burning. And the atmosphere; Alex found himself fighting to stay conscious from the intense heat. Not daring to stand still for too long, he dashed through the castle, seeking out the one who caused this devastation.

He heard banging on a door as he passed by. The lock itself had melted, effectively sealing the door in place.

"Get away from the door!" Alex yelled. Taking a running start, he spun into a powerful heel kick right at the lock.

*BWOOM!*

But rather than cave in, the door swung open, and an explosion of flame burst out, launching Alex into the wall behind him. The world around him blurred, and through faltering vision, he could just barely see white knight squires mindlessly stagger out of the room before literally disintegrating into ash.

He peeled himself off the wall, shook it off, and continued his run. He had to keep moving. Save as many as he could, and hopefully take down something. But as he went through the castle, he encountered nothing. It was almost too strange; he was expecting to run into a demon or something at any moment, but there was nothing. He would hear an explosion above him, but once he made it to the floor, no sign of an assailant.

His trek through the castle lasted ten minutes, and only a cluster of knights survived thanks to him. Unfortunately, it got much too hot for him, and he wound up ramming himself through a nearby wall and into the northern moat to recover. The city was an absolute disaster. If a building wasn't on fire, it was already reduced to ash and stone fragment.

He pulled himself out of the moat and stood at the ready, keeping his eyes open. Where were the other heroes? Where was the enemy? There was no sign of enemy troops, nor catapults, nor flaming arrows. There were terrified people frantically running around, but no signs of actual battle anywhere. The sky was clear, except for a series of bright, colourful lights darting here and there. Spells. But who was casting them? And why were they so wily and random-

*THOCK!*

Alex did not see it coming. From behind, a bright, glowing claw smashed its way through his chest in a powerful, spike-assisted punch. Looking down in surprise, he saw the claw clearly. Two long, curved, spiked bones protruded from the top of the knuckles of both wicked fingers, which clenched together over the thumb so tightly he almost felt them cracking under the strain. He felt the radiant heat pulsing from the thick skin; hot enough to melt adamantite.

But not nearly hot enough for enogan. He felt the force behind the blow, and was fortunate he didn't keep his star in his chest this time or else he would've been taken out in a single blow.

He wasn't in time to avoid the punch, but he had plenty of time to react. Forcing energy into his chest, he contracted the hole the claw made around it in one quick squeeze, and with a burst of lava-like blood, severed the claw completely off. No longer bound, he spun around with his spear in tow and swung as hard as he could against the strange creature the claw once belonged to. For an instant, Alex found himself gazing at a strange, orange bird-faced creature with a large dome-like expansion on its head and limbs thinner than twigs. Having just lost one of said limbs, Alex was surprised it was not showing any signs of pain.

He swung with the intent of decapitation (literally), but the creature suddenly phased out and away from him. And suddenly, it was everywhere, popping up out of thin air and all over the place, creating a bright, flickering army all around him.

…wait, this was not an army. It was still just the one creature; it was just moving really fast. Dashing back and forth, Alex saw its light flickering here and there, but no real solid shape to compliment it. How clever. One would think that its bright glowing color made it an obvious target, but with its unparalleled speed accompanied along with a strobing light effect, it created an illusion impossible to follow. Attempting to do so would hurt his eyes and mess up his focus, and even if he could, there was no hitting a target moving at such speeds.

*FWOOOOSH!*

It suddenly stopped, shining brightly, and two lines of what appeared to be liquid flame shot out of its arms. They zipped around Alex like snakes, threatening any attempts to dodge. Alex whipped his spear in front and fired a blast of lightning, but the creature had phased again. It was now running in circles around Alex, and with each lap, the lines of flame also wrapped tightly around Alex. But before they could ensnare him, Alex severed his own upper half of the body and leapt above the line, which yanked away the empty space in between. With the line gone now, Alex's upper body landed on and reconnected with his lower half, and he fired another shot of lightning. But the creature was still moving, and despite lightning being an instant strike, there was just no way to tell exactly where it was.

Up until it struck, anyways.

*BWOOOM!*

The creature knew what it was doing. It zipped in behind Alex and hit him with a wave of heat, throwing him into the air. It felt like his back was suddenly turned to lava, and he spun himself around in mid-air to disperse the heat. Curving his body back around, he held his spear forward and fired another blast of lightning. This time, he hit, but the creature took the blow to the shoulder on purpose, shrugging it right off in a show of intimidation.

Once his feet touched ground, he dashed at it, hoping to go on the aggressive this time. It let out a loud shriek and darted right at him, and he was barely able to take a second step when it was right in his face, glaring all three of its eyes into his own. Fortunately for Alex, the shock of such a maneuver forced his body to react instinctively, and he… thrust his knee into its ribcage while stepping forward. OK, not something he would've usually done, but it worked.

Moving with the force, it backflipped backwards several times and came to a sudden stop on both feet with both arms raised. Bellowing a loud, high-pitched screech, it crouched down and slammed its spiked hand onto the ground, yanking up a series of different-sized boulders which floating right in front once freed from the limestone road. Then it straightened up so rapidly that it sprang off the ground and twirled in the air, leaving a trail of fire in its wake. The boulders followed suit, twirling along with it, and they accelerated so quickly that it was only a few seconds before they suddenly burst to flame.

Then it hurled them. Into the ground around it. Alex didn't even have to dodge. What was it doing? Just hurled them all around the battlefield without even aiming for Alex. Was it too dizzy from all that spinning that it couldn't coordinate? Or…

Willing himself to remain calm, Alex clasped both hands together and summoned forth a magical barrier that covered him in a bright white film. Not a second after he put it up, the rocks detonated, covering the entire battlefield in a frenzy of earth-shattering explosions. The barrier took the force of the explosions, but Alex didn't even get a chance to unclasp his hands when he was suddenly rammed in the side by the creature and smashed into the side of a flaming building.

It gave way, throwing him into the flaming inferno within. Quickly recovering from the blow, Alex twisted his body and bounded off the ground into the already-smashed window on the other end, not wasting any of his momentum.

Landing in a roll, he rightened up in a low crouch to bear witness to Falador square. Nearly all the buildings around him were flaming in some way. A strange, powerful flame that made stone glow red and crumble to the touch like molten metal. Loud, glass-shattering explosions made random buildings here and there burst open and disintegrate into piles of ash and dust. The sky was completely obscured in black, smoky cloud, lighting up the entire city in a bright orange flame light reflected from below. Even the central fountain, to his surprise and dismay, was spewing lava instead of water. The streets were empty; either everybody evacuated the city or perished in the blaze. Not even the guards stayed behind to try controlling the fire.

He paused, the desire for vengeance welling up inside him. Never in his life had he seen disaster like this; not even during the God Wars.

A screech brought him back. The ochre-colored bird thing was back, crouching feral-like on the building he just shot through. It darted towards him, but he was able to stand and twirl around just in the nick of time and bring his spear around for an attack. The creature already moving forward, it would have to defend.

He went for a side-slash, aiming at its lower body in hopes to take out a leg. That should slow it enough to strike. But then, as though by instinct, he felt his body instead decide on an overhead smash instead, flipping the spear up and over in mid-swing. Not daring to self-correct in the heat of battle, he followed through the attack. The creature had lifted its incomplete arm to defend itself, but it was straight vertical, covering its lower body. Alex's attack passed clean through.

*WHAAAANG!*

The tip of his spear smashed against its cap and forced the creature down to all fours. Despite being fast, it was considerably weak when it came to physical strength.

He was surprised. Sure, his full body weight (what he could create, anyways) was enough to bring it down into the ground, but that wasn't all. Why did that work? How was he able to predict its movements? It was as though… wait, they were familiar! He had seen them before! …but where?

He didn't get the time to think. Sensing his shock, the creature suddenly leaned back and pulled Alex forward. He staggered back into reality just in time to take a spiky uppercut to the visor. Of course, it more splattered than smashed against his jaw, but the heat force from its flaming fist was enough to heave him airborne once again.

The creature phased again, this time appearing in the air above him, beating its thin, triangular wings at speeds so fast that they would've been rendered invisible had they not glowed. It stretched both arms forward and brought fiery justice down at Alex. A double blast of streamed flame, and he had no way to dodge it.

*FWOOOOOOOOSH!*

The force of it pinned him to the ground and started working away at his armor. To avoid exposing his star, he forced his armor together as hard as possible, but the heat just kept on intensifying. Slowly, painfully, he felt himself melting from the non-stop blast. Through the heavy blasting of the flame, he heard the monster screech with laughter.

*BBRRRYYYYZZZZ!*

A screech that Alex never thought he would be glad to hear. The creature stopped its torrent and leapt back to avoid getting torn to shreds by the loud, spiky Hingaerd, and Hunt landed between them with such force that the ground cracked at his feet.

"Rise, warrior!" he growled at Alex, who immediately tip-upped back into a fighting stance. Like the revenants, he would've contested that Hunt not participate in the battle from the possibility of it losing control. But this was a surprise attack by creatures that were anything but revenants, and the fiery chaos they had bestowed upon the city was enough to get everyone's attention away from their fight. Hunt could go all out if he wanted, and nobody would know (or care).

And then Nomad appeared! …no, I'm kidding; he didn't.

A powerful rumbling made Alex stagger. A building to his left exploded, and suddenly a jet of green light rocketed out and back into the sky. Then he understood. They weren't spells; they were of the very creature he was attacking. Aside from the one he was fighting, there looked to be two others. Green and orange. But once was plenty enough for them to handle, and it was coming at them again.

Hunt charged forth; his armor shining in the wicked firelight. In mid-run, their opponent conjured up two great fireballs, which exploded into existence in its hands, and hurled them at the heroes. Not breaking stride, Hunt thrust his free hand forward, and the fireballs were suddenly yanked from existence by a series of flash holes, popping into existence to suck up the flames and vanish with them. In a heartbeat, the bird-like creature darted right past Hunt and straight at Alex, who discharged a powerful field of electricity around him.

Without missing a beat, it weaved around him and hurled flames from behind at lightning-rapid speeds. Alex shifted his arm into a shield and took the first one, but it carried enough force to blast him several yards backwards. Not expecting him to actually try to defend, the other fireballs exploded harmlessly in the area Alex was in not two seconds ago.

Alex landed on his back, skidding across the cracked pavement for a ways before kicking his feet downwards and back-flipping upright in mid-flight. He reverted his shield back into his arm, and his spear transformed into the spiky mace he used once against the strange figure he would up summoning White Dragons against. He knew he wouldn't be able to hit the creature with this attack, but if he could limit its movements, it would be ideal. Swinging the mace over his head, he littered the battlefield with a frenzy of floating, electrical orbs.

Hunt once again dashed at the creature, twirling his weapon in an ear-splitting ravaging of screeches. The creature screamed back at him, but its volume couldn't match that of Hunt's vicious, spiked bone-shredder of a weapon. It moved back and forth, but suddenly took a hit from one of the orbs and stumbled in stunned surprise. Hunt thrust a hand forth, and its head was suddenly covered in a large, dark mass. Alex prayed this attack would work. Come on… come on…

*SHA-BOOOOOM!*

Even Hunt had to leap back. A massive explosion rocked the globe, erupting the ground all around him in flaming dust. The entirety of Falador square was reduced into one big glowing crater. In the midst of the explosion, the creature stood with its chest thrust into the air, laughing hysterically. Hunt's suction technique was dispelled, either from the blast of Hunt's loss of concentration, and Alex's electrical orbs had all but dissipated.

Covered in flame, it darted at them again with renewed speed and vigour, slamming a flaming arc at Hunt, who leapt sideways to dodge. It was no longer applying any dancing movements or taunting them with its speed. It was much more direct.

After all that, they finally managed to make it fight seriously.

Hunt whipped his Hingaerd around and twirled it to make the bird thing keep its distance. An orb of clear, disturbed air surrounded Hunt, piercing through the ashen environment. Strangely enough, it wasn't the Hingaerd the creature was keeping its distance from. It was the loud noise it was making. But Alex didn't blame it; the sound was incredibly deafening, and it robbed his opponent of one of his senses in mid-battle.

Hunt bought him the time he needed to charge up his spear. It glowed with a powerful blue light which wavered through the air as it moved around. Summoning up even more energy into his legs, Alex also got into a much more serious mode. With one incredible bound, he hurled himself at the ochre-colored monster and unleashed bright, sky-lighting justice upon it in the form of a large, house-engulfing beam of crackling energy.

It hit, but not to the extent Alex hoped. The creature started spinning again and threw up a cone-shaped barrier of flame, blasting the beam away in all different directions. Hunt leapt at the barrier and slammed his weapon onto it, but it suddenly flickered out, and Alex withdrew his attack to stop from hitting Hunt.

The creature was on the move again, dashing right at Alex this time. It shot at him almost completely horizontally, driving its fist at him in a speed-driven pound. Alex stamped into the ground, sending solid enogan spikes out of his boots down into the cracking pavement. Grabbing his spear with both hands, he thrust it in front, vertically rather than his usual horizontal guard (again, his body told him it was the thing to do), and he held against the blow. It slammed its fist right into his spear, and he felt a wave of intense heat and a powerful force jarring his arms, but he still held his ground.

The creature continued to push, attempting to overpower Alex with one arm. A metallic screeching brought it to spin around and erupt a heavy flame out of its outstretched handless arm in the other direction into the held-up guard by Hunt, holding him back at bay. It was now standing with both its opponents trying to overpower it from both ends.

Then Alex saw it. Its right arm was slightly thicker than the right. The creature was imbalanced; having used its right arm more, it was more developed. Removing it would greatly weaken the creature, and for the moment, it was actually the more openly exposed area because of its missing left hand. Warriors had to balance their arm usage, either with two-handed weapons or a sword and shield; to develop a proper sword arm with their right, and to be able to defend this sword arm with their left.

"Duck and go for the right shoulder blade!" Alex hissed at Hunt.

"DON'T tell me how to fight!" Hunt hissed back.

You're right, Alex thought, that would just be spoiling you.

Abandoning the idea of collaboration, Alex and Hunt pushed forth, but the creature suddenly darted sideways and away from them both. Out of its mouth, it spewed what looked to be droplets of white liquid metal. From what he's experienced so far, anything that came out of this thing's mouth was bad.

And he was right.

*PRAPPA-RAPPA-RAPPA*

The sound was that of a holiday firecracker roll; loud, rapid raps that made Alex's head ring. The explosions were that of exploding dwarven hand cannons; gigantic, with bits of flaming metal jetting everywhere like grapeshot. Then the fragments of recent explosions exploded themselves into many more, smaller bits. A rather effective anti-infantry attack, despite the random frenzy that ensued

Alex threw up his barrier again. There was just much too many for proper means. Hunt, on the other hand, was back on the aggressive, spinning his weapon with such ferocious speeds that his bubble of clean air even tore through the metal droplets.

The bird-like creature struck again, holding up its severed hand. A fountain of bright, lava-like blood covered it and expanded it into a spiked club, which was swung with due force against Hunt. Not one to dodge such a primitively basic attack, he took the blow with one of his own arms.

And suddenly, to his surprise, Hunt actually ducked around and brought his Hingaerd into an overhead swing onto the creature's right shoulder.

*BBZZZZHAAA*

The shoulder was shredded into ribbons, and its arm came clean off. The creature yelped and swung its club at Hunt's head. Hunt couldn't duck in time.

*PWING!*

Alex's heart made a leap. That wasn't a good sound.

The golden mask embedded itself into the stone wall of the crumbling building behind them and slowly melted from the heat. Hunt's cover was off. The creature reared its fist back, ready for a second strike. But once it laid eyes on Hunt's exposed face...

"HYOOOH!" the creature shrieked, losing all composure and pointing at Hunt in shock.

"Yes! Me!" Hunt roared, tossing his Hingaerd away with his left hand. His other hand suddenly extended into a blast of blue smoke, and the spiky, multi-colored conundrum of a sword that Alex once fought against appeared. The gloves were off, and the Unknown was about to go full force against these creatures.

But the look on its bulging eyes was of genuine fear. For a moment, it stumbled and fell backwards, frantically trying to get as much distance as possible. Upon getting back onto its feet, it reared its head back, let out a shriek, and rocketed into the air. All three creatures suddenly converged on each other, turned tail, and darted to the south, vanishing in a strip of light.

Disappointed that he was unable to actually use the blade, Hunt dematerialized it and immediately stormed towards Alex, who dispelled his barrier.

"We're doing the last one NOW!" he growled.

Alex flinched. Hunt's disguise was off, and the creatures they fought seemed to recognize him. But his duty was to the Star and the safety of the city. Argh, but he couldn't let them see Hunt's true face, and those creatures were no doubt going to return with reinforcements to fight Hunt. If not that, there were definitely going to report it to their higher power, and then word will spread. And as much as he felt that Hunt would deserve what was coming to him, he simply out of moral conscience couldn't do that to the monster.

He made his decision immediately. As much as he wanted to save Falador, he had to get the Unknown off their planet as soon as possible. After all, it was supposed to be a secret that it was actually there. His secret. And should things get complicated with the Unknown… well, he was simply an enemy far worse than whatever these creatures were, capable of sucking entire planets into a blackened abyss. Best get rid of him as fast as possible.

Guys, forgive me, he thought, but this is for your own good.

Alex dashed to Hunt, who leapt up and onto his back with his face covered by his robe (what remained). Without breaking stride, he morphed into his more aerodynamic form, and in one quick bound, lifted off and shot southwest of Falador, leaving the burning mass behind them. Even the great pillar of smoke and flame that was once the White Knight castle vanished in the duration of a minute.

OVER THE OCEAN TO THE FAR WEST

The cloud of steam faded, and the Unknown went limp and fell into the water. His blue glowing outline had vanished, leaving him a dark, unreflective black mass. Alex pondered whether or not he should scoop it out of the water, but before he was able to summon the confidence to do so, it rose back out of the water like a strung puppet.

"You all right?" Alex found himself instinctively asking.

"…what do you care?" the Unknown grumbled.

Alex held back laughter.

"You're right; I don't." Alex replied, "I just thought it polite to ask."

Floating in the air by itself, the Unknown straightened up, but it was not without effort. It literally had nothing left. No power. No remorse. No task.

"I guess this means you're done." Alex said, looking over its handiwork. Despite not actually feeling it being broken, he almost felt relieved at seeing the planet once again whole and complete.

"I am…" it muttered.

And there it was. The time for Alex to finally say farewell to the very creature that threatened absolutely everything he cared about. His friends. His brethren. His home. His Lord. His planet. Himself. How did one say farewell to something like that? "Goodbye and good riddance" only sounded proper in his head. Knowing the Unknown, if he did say something like that, he's get a scratch or something from its crazy blade, and he knew first hand on what kind of pain it was capable of dishing out.

Besides, it would be beneficial to leave it off on a positive note. On the off-chance 0.00...01% on the likelihood metre they meet again, it won't "immediately" want to kill him. Perhaps there will be just a touch of mercy, and a death only slightly unbearably painful and agonizing. The Unknown or not, he was saying goodbye to somebody he spent time with, and it just wasn't in him to not be grateful for the minor positives that came out of the experience.

So Alex finally broke the unnerving silence.

"Thank you for upholding your end of the deal and replacing what you took." Alex said, clasping both hands together in a bow. The Unknown's eyes squinted.

"After all I've put you through, you still uphold your manners and show respect?"

Alex simply nodded.

The Unknown regained a partial glow; enough to materialize its sword in hand and use it to "draw" a round hole of black, fiery light. Upon completion of the circle, a vortex spawned forth and began to pull material in. In the midst of the portal, Alex saw a frenzy of intense lightning jolting in-between black, shapeless clouds. Even the sky turned dark and a harsh wind began to blow.

"Allezyamos, you had best count your blessings while they last." it warned, "Long ago, the realm of reality was governed and gloriously populated by us, the Race of Guardians. Not the mortals. We created the mortals as a form of entertainment, and allowed them to coexist peacefully alongside us.

But the mortals rebelled against us, our ancestors betrayed us, and we were cast from the very realm which we created for ourselves, leaving us on the verge of extinction. It is not out of pity or remorse that I upheld my deal and returned your planet to normal. I did it to fill you with false hope for your future, because it simply didn't matter."

The Unknown floated menacingly towards Alex, and he propelled his wings forward, pushing himself away from it. What little light seen emitting from its hide in the morning sun was flickering violently, as though it was about to spring off in all directions.

"We WILL have our revenge for this humiliation." he roared, "The mortal race will pay for disgracing my own, and if you were wise, you would heed this warning and let yourself die before it happens."

Alex said nothing. For a moment, he almost found himself appreciating the answers and talks he had with the Unknown. At one point, he even found himself teaching it one of the reasons the mortals saw life in such a positive outlook. For a mere moment, he felt that the Unknown had a lick of redemption on itself after all.

But not anymore. The Unknown always has been, and always will be one of the worst enemies the universe will ever encounter. It will not stop until it meets its ambitions down to the very last swing of the sword.

It turned and strode, on air, towards the portal. As it approached, its highlight regained its former glow.

"Pray that we will never meet again." it growled.

"Always do." Alex said. That was the closest to "goodbye" he was ever going to get from the monster.

Without any further hesitation, it dove into the sparking dimensional hole and vanished in a flash of sparkling light. Relieved of such a heavy weight, Alex let himself momentarily pass out in the cold, refreshing ocean water.

BACK AT THE SWC

With the Unknown gone, Alex felt almost relieved to return back to his beloved chapel. Every waking moment, he was almost unnerved that it would place a curse or marker in his house for its own vengeful reasons. He knew that the Unknown told him that he wasn't going to keep vengeance against him, and that the Unknown hated lying enough to give his words warrant, but Alex couldn't help but think that the Unknown would've rather told a lie than let a lesser being have dominance over a Guardian.

No sooner did he touch down and morph back into human form was he suddenly tackled from the front by a blur of white darting out of the second-storey chapel window. Which was open, of course. The little guy wasn't much for licking (thank Sartranomin), but when it came to tail-wagging pounces, Alex could not help but feel relief that he wasn't getting any bigger. At least, not to his knowledge.

"Hey, Nuli! How'd it go?" he greeted, recovering the wind knocked out of him and scratching behind both ears with a gauntlet.

Nuli opened his mouth wide and pointed with a fore-claw to the newest member of his molars. It stood out as being slightly whiter then the rest. Nothing a good stretch of time won't fix.

"Ah, you got yours too!" Alex said, "Well done!"

Nuli then tilted his head with a perplexed look.

"Yeah, I got one myself." Alex said, smiling, "Although it's not quite what you think."

Nuli jumped off and sat down obediently, as though about to receive a treat. Alex sat up and stretched out his arm, exposing a clear, cyanic aquamarine gem. Pointing to the interior, Nuli noticed a small, out-of-place speck, refracting the light in an odd way.

"I daresay it probably didn't hurt as much as yours, though." Alex said, grinning sheepishly.

Nuli shuddered slightly in response. The memory was still fresh in his mind, and he wasn't about to try out his new tooth anytime soon.

"So, what was the problem that you helped fix?" Alex asked, retracting the gem back into his body.

Nuli then launched into an entire pantomime demonstration, switching personalities and energies to depict different characters. Werewolves. A kidnapped queen. Panicking fairies. A bribed adventurer. Himself doing some thinking. Sending off bait. Luring the werewolves into a trap. Destroying the werewolves for such a hateful crime against an entire race. Saving the queen and the bait. Celebration. A rather painful reward.

Alex watched and deciphered it as fluidly as he could. What would the werewolves have wanted with the fairies? No, not the werewolves; they were probably just pawns for Lord Draken or whoever was in charge nowadays. By the sounds (or in this case, sights) of things, perhaps they wanted to take control of the fairy ring network to send their troops all throughout Gielinor in one big surprise assault, scattering the three kingdoms' defences to the point where a full-on assault from Morytania would encounter the least resistance. Having multiple werewolves capable of travelling onto a newly cobbled fairy ring with one staff … well, that's vital information by itself. Imagine if a vampyre or several got their hands on such a relic.

"How exactly did you destroy them?" Alex asked, crossing his arms.

Nuli then flinched, rearing back slightly with his tail between his legs.

"It's all right, you did the right thing." Alex assured him, "I would've done it too. Otherwise, they would've killed you or reported their findings to Draken, and that would've seriously harmed the fairy race."

Nuli hesitantly accepted the forgiveness, and drew a wavy circle in the ground.

"Water …" Alex interpreted, nodding.

Nuli added some protruding wavy lines.

"Swamp. Mort Myre swamp."

Nuli pounded a fist twice in the centre.

"You threw them into the swamp water."

He then unleashed a blast of lightning breath right in the middle, leaving the markings in a splatter of blackened rock.

"Ah! You boiled them to death, huh?" Alex said, "As gruesome as it sounds, I'm actually quite impressed you thought of that. Like a hunter, one shot taking all 6 of them out without having to resort to combat."

Nuli didn't know what to think about that statement. But he did mindlessly tap his claw twice and hold one up.

"Sorry, 7. I do hope you prayed for them."

Nuli clasped both frontal claws together, squatted down on his rear, and closed his eyes with a nod.

"Good. Remember to always pray for every kill you make, so they may rest eternally and not haunt the land." Alex instructed, bending down to Nuli. It did sound sort of cheesy, but he didn't want Nuli to know the real truth behind revenant souls. Heck, he himself didn't want to know.

The White Dragon nodded confidently. He was following Alex's instruction to the letter, praying even for kills he makes while hunting for meat. He did remember he got some attention once from a band of travellers who watched him take down a rabbit. He pinned it to the ground with his body, bowed his head in prayer while gently pressing its head down as it squirmed, and with one smooth, swift motion, rapped its skull in with a fist. Every time he remembered their transfixed faces after having watched an otherwise wild dragon kill its pray as humanely and saintly as possible, he couldn't help but laugh. Even after grabbing the fresh kill in his mouth and flying away, they remained unmoved past the point where he was out of sight. That by itself made himself guaranteed to do it in hopes that another bunch of witnesses watch the unexplainable and react in such an amusing fashion.

But that was it, wasn't it? He was a hunter. His father forbid him to practice combat, but it was his mother in him that made him a natural hunter. He not only chased; he constructed traps of all kinds, taking interest in the physics incorporated by the devices the humans used through observation (and in some cases, personal experience). He had intermingled with what they deemed "Master Hunters", learning several tricks of the trade, and it was a collaboration of these devices that he constructed which won the fairy race back their queen.

Suddenly, Alex stopped and straightened up slightly. He was gazing just behind Nuli, who after a brief, silent chuckle, turned to look as well. All he saw, however, was the ocean, rippling off the rocky coastline. Nothing out of the ordinary. There were no flashes of light, or boats on the horizon, or even a hint of rogue sea-life breaking the surface of the water in an inspiring attempt to show the world it existed. Just clear sky and still water. Lovely shade of blue, though.

"Excuse me for a moment." Alex said, nodding quickly before jumping up and running off to the basement.

Again! This is the fourth time this had happened. Alex "notices" something in the distance, and then suddenly just takes off for the basement for half an hour. The other three times, he figured he just saw the time and had to tend to the fungi inside the cavern or something. But this time, the sun was entirely in the opposite direction, and he was looking directly at the water. Nuli wasn't going to let anything distract him this time.

It was time to find out once and for all the reason behind this strange behaviour.

Nuli bounded right after Alex, jumping through the trapdoor before he had a chance to close it. Alex wordlessly allowed Nuli to come with him, and they both hurried down the slippery, rocky stairs. Nuli was relieved. He knew Alex liked to keep secrets, and the fact that he was allowed to participate meant it wasn't something supposed to be done privately.

They emerged in the cavern, and Alex dashed right for the pond. He stopped at the edge, peered down, and slowly lowered himself in until he was fully submerged. Nuli stopped, confused at the action, before approaching. The water was too rippled to see anything underneath, but after a moment, he then saw Alex sitting down under the water, and there was something red in the water with him. It was small; smaller than he was, and it flowed and rippled slightly with the water. A smooth, almost featureless dome-like shape, with three- … no, two string-like protrusions, about as thick as his own claw nail. Was it a plant?

… tentacles. They were tentacles. This was an actual living creature that Alex was interacting with. One of its tentacles wrapped around Alex's hand, and Alex had his eyes closed. What were they doing? Meditating together? Taking a deep breath, he poked his head into the water for a clearer look. The red, jelly-fish like squid creature suddenly raced around, reacting to his intrusion, but Alex held up his other hand to calm it down, nodded his head slightly. It quickly calmed down, pointed its cap towards Alex, and then to Nuli. With each movement, there was a reaction. They were both clearly speaking to each other, but neither of them made a sound. Strange.

The creature then suddenly shot a tentacle at Nuli, wrapping it around his neck and pulling him down. Nuli squirmed, and Alex reacted with wide eyes and a shaking head. The creature, taking an immediate hint, released Nuli, who wasted no time pulling himself out and away from the water, taking quick relieved breaths. His heart was racing, and his legs shook uncontrollably.

The water rippled, and Alex's head appeared above the surface.

"Are you all right?" he asked; his voice filled with concern. Nuli nodded in response, stemming his breathing and "unwidening" his eyes.

"Sorry about that. She didn't realize you were an air-breather." Alex apologized, "She makes quick assumptions sometimes."

Nuli tilted his head.

"This is Koyl." Alex said, "It- … well, it- it's neither boy nor girl, as they're asexual, but I call it a "she" because it gives off the vibe. "She" is an Oocon; an underwater race whose directly-injected blood is a universal cure. She cannot leave the surface of the water, or she'll shrivel up. I haven't invited you down here because I figured you wouldn't be able to communicate with her. Plus, she only visits with updates and stories. I could just tell you if you were interested."

Nuli squinted slightly with a slight smile. Alex shrugged.

"… well, if you wanna try," Alex returned the look, "Then hold your breath and come on in."

Nuli looked at the pool, rubbing his neck with one claw with the bitter reminder that he indeed could not breathe underwater. Then his eyes suddenly widened, and he turned tail and bounded up the stairs. Alex simply smiled. He'll be back, no doubt, with a solution. Nuli wasn't one to let things stay unresolved.

He returned to the water and rejoined the conversation with Koyl.

"Sorry about that." he thought in his mind, gently gripping the squid-like creature's tentacle, "That's my new friend, Nuli. Gia had left me his son to raise in his place."

"You had told me that White Dragons were really big." he heard the strange, somewhat monotonic voice in the back of his head, "But this one was not even bigger than I am."

"He is still very young." Alex replied, "He will get big with time. At least, I hope he will."

Koyl slowly approached Alex's head in sympathy. He had spoken with only a smidgen of hope, if any at all. Even in his final letter, Gia wrote about how he had his doubts that Nuli will get any bigger than he was now, as his growth in size had stemmed itself at around 7 months. Even now, Alex had been raising Nuli for 5 months, and even he had barely noticed any change in Nuli's size. Such was the consequence of breeding a hundred thousand year-old dragon with its more evolved and developed modern counterpart. He would've liked Nuli to grow big, like Gia was, because having Gia's muscle around had proved to be invaluable. Nevertheless, Nuli still displayed his own strength several times, being able to do his own smithing-work while smaller than even a dwarf.

No matter the result, Alex would be proud of Nuli for being what he was. That, he believed with hope.

Plus, Nuli was a shoulder-dragon, and as silly as it sounded, he kind of always wanted a companion like that. Some sort of avian creature who made its home on his right shoulder-blade.

"Anyways, you said you had a surprise for me." Alex said.

"Yes!" Koyl said, zipping around the water slightly, "Guess what!"

Alex figured he already knew, what with the excitement she spoke with, but it would be much more fun for Koyl if he appeared to remain clueless and surprised.

"What?" he asked, trying to seem as eager as possible.

"Aw, come on! Guess!" Koyl taunted, dancing around joyously.

Alex could not hide his smile.

"You … defeated a Gabonat all by yourself?" Alex asked.

Koyl was laughing now. She released herself and rocketed around the space in front of him so sporadically she actually collided with the rocky walls twice. She had a sort of childish humour about her, despite her being a fully grown, respectable Oocon with a definable role and purpose.

"No, try again!" she said, reconnecting.

"You … got yourself a pet shark?"

More laughing. She was enjoying this game very much, and Alex suddenly found himself laughing as well, thinking up silly guesses and projecting them through his mind. Did she evolve, sprout wings, and fly above the surface? Did she spar with a swordfish? Did she slice through a fishing trawler's big net to free all the fish it had captured? (Turned out she had, twice, but that wasn't the surprise).

"Give up?" she asked eagerly.

Alex's smile went smug. Yeah, he gave up.

"We found wyverns!" Koyl exclaimed with glee.

Alex was going to pretend to be surprised, but now that he actually heard the report and that his assumption really was fact, it suddenly became legitimate.

"You're kidding!" he half-shouted (he actually did, underwater).

"I am not! We found them! A bunch of them, too!" she bounced around victoriously.

"That's fantastic!" Alex congratulated her.

"It is! Macan told me to let you know, and he is negotiating with them to accept Mirral, and then he is going to go-"

*SPLOOSH!*

Both of them jumped. Nuli had returned and plunged into the water. The first thing Alex noticed, however, was that Nuli had built a strange mouthpiece hooked around his jaw that ended off in a long, rubber hose that went up through the surface of the water. The way it kept itself in one direction meant that Nuli had hooked the other end somewhere, so that the other end wouldn't get pulled in with him. In that short amount of time, the young White Dragon had created an underwater breathing apparatus. Once again, Alex couldn't help but feel proud for the little one, reaching out with a gauntlet and scratching him behind the horns.

"He looks funny now." Koyl remarked.

"He made himself a device to let him breathe air through a tube so he could last for a long period of time underwater." Alex said, "He's a brilliant one."

Koyl's head bobbed up and down. She agreed.

"Koyl is telling me that my brother Macanyale found an island of wyverns." Alex said proudly to Nuli, "You remember how I told you about Mirral? The wyvern who grows that bitter plant you tried once and hated?"

Nuli nodded. Koyl nudged him on the side of the head.

"Now that we found more of them, Mirral doesn't have to be alone anymore." he continued, "Isn't that great?"

Koyl nudged again.

"Everything all right, Koyl?"

"It is not an island." her voice resonated in his head, "I did not say we found them on an island."

Now Alex was confused. Not an island? Then did they find an underwater group or something? Or perhaps a bunch trapped inside a large air pocket? Or an underground cavern with a spring streaming through?

"It is not an island." Koyl repeated.

"It is a continent."

Alex blinked. Nuli then nudged Alex, hoping for a translation update. He didn't get one.

"A continent?"

"Yeah. A giant mass of land." Koyl replied, "At first, we thought we had gone in a complete circle around the world and wound up in the northern lands. But then Macan went looking around, and nothing he found was familiar."

Alex tilted his head. Macan had remained in isolation for a long time, having not surfaced for very long to really get to know the continent of Gielinor. Perhaps he was simply mistaken?

"And there are a lot of wyverns on that land mass. And other strange creatures. Even the fish are unique. Their skin is all crusty. I don't like touching it."

Alex pondered it. Crusty fish … could they have travelled into the alternate-dimension ScapeRune somehow? The land of opposites, completely perpendicular to the world they knew and loved today? Probably, but he doubted it.

Nuli was now tugging at Alex's helmet plume, itching for a translation. After a month of experimentation, Nuli found that doing so was the most effective method of getting Alex's attention.

"Sorry, Nuli." Alex apologized quickly, "Koyl said the wyverns they found are on a continent, not an island. A continent unfamiliar to our own."

Nuli shared the look of confusion. He also stopped tugging, as he now understood where Alex's mind was.

"How long will Macan be staying there?" Alex asked.

"Macan likes to prioritize." Koyl replied, "He will negotiate with the wyverns, and then he will either bring some back or take Mirral there. Either way, he will be coming back in the near future, and you might get to see him again."

Alex smiled. It would be nice to see the hypothetical-thinking emotionless crystalline dragon, who speaks in the longest, most complicated vocabulary imaginable. At the cost of a headache, Macan usually had his own insights to offer, and unlike his more violent, negative sister, Macan usually liked to take a more positive and logical approach, eliminating any and all possibilities of misinterpretation. Not the best conversationalist, of course, but he was nevertheless fun to be with.

"Thanks for the update." Alex said, "And as much as I'd like to chat, I'm afraid I have to go now. There's an event happening today that I do not want to miss."

Koyl said nothing for several moments, but one could only interpret her sudden loss of energy and drooping tentacles as sadness.

"Another time then, OK?" she finally replied, perking back up.

"Promise." Alex nodded, "Oh, and please tell Macan that I await his victorious return."

Her energy was back. Passionately taking the mission, she released Alex and zipped off into the small opening. Nuli watched with wide-eyed interest, wondering just how it moved so fast through the water. Without missing a beat, Alex pulled himself out of the water, and Nuli quickly followed.

"You know what day it is, right?" he asked.

The White Dragon nodded, eyes wide with bewilderment.

"Then dry yourself off quickly and bundle up," Alex advised, "Because it's going to be awfully cold where we're going."

RITUAL OF THE MAHJARRAT

Alex stood, perched atop one of Zemorgeal's flag-shafts overlooking the battlefield. Perched on his shoulders was Nuli; his torso and wings covered in a self-sewn black bear fur.

"Dragonkin…" he muttered, "…Zaros, you sneaky little… you made us think that you really were risking it all."

The dragonkin took off toward the east, blazing rage-infused flame along the way. Several flashes of dark light, and the mahjarrat had all vanished, leaving nothing but what appeared to be three humans left to huddle around the stone. It was fortunate for them that neither one appeared to dare to touch it.

"You saw the dragonkin?" Alex asked Nuli without turning his head, "Those are the same creatures your father and his race were bred to combat. They were both incredible warriors in the past, fighting at levels not even demons could match."

He felt Nuli's claws dig into his shoulder for the fifth time.

"I promised Gia that I wouldn't let you follow the same path." Alex replied, "So don't you worry. You leave the fighting of them to us and instead focus on your studies."

Nuli relaxed, his attention now diverted to the humans.

Alex watched carefully. That one human… exceptionally powerful and witty, almost as though controlled by some higher power. Nevertheless, an adventurer like the rest of them. It was mere talent, nothing more. The one in White… that was a Temple Knight. One of their leaders, it appeared. What was his name again? Sir Kit? … no. Ah, never mind.

That third human, though. A guthixian druid, by the suggestion of the robes. And he didn't doubt he was perhaps versed in the rule of balance. But still, something about him seemed off. The Temple Knight had summoned him forth to help deal with the stone. But why him? Surely there were several others who would've liked to deal with this conundrum. The Guthixian Edict, for example.

His attention focused as he saw them gather around the stone. They were going to do something. Knowing the humans, they were going to teleport it away to an inaccessible area so that nobody may use its power. Typical humans; just hide the source and never speak of it again, and the problem just goes away by itself. Ain't gonna work, you guys. The dragonkin will just get angrier.

What's this? He was calling something… math… port… underground…

Alex's eyes widened. A "math-based random teleport"? He had not seen one of those scams since the dawning of the first age, where the first humans discovered teleportation by the runes provided by Guthix. They found unspeakable treasures on the planet, but were afraid that others may try to take them, so they would teleport them to a hidden location. Of course, some darker folk got wind of an idea to modify a teleport and make the treasurer think that it was a much more secure teleportation than anything they could conjure alone. Unfortunately, the numbers were just for show; it was always the instigator that teleported the item wherever they wanted. It was how a teleport worked after all; an anchor point had to be defined and marked by a set coordinate. If they worked by randomness, then there would be a whole lot more "teleportation accidents" out there.

He watched with focused curiosity. Yup, just like he thought, it was the druid instigating the teleport. Those poor, clueless humans. He was no Guthixian. In fact, Alex wouldn't have been surprised if that druid was another mahjarrat, or mind-controlled. Only question now was whose druid it really was. Zamorak, Zaros, or a mahjarrat's.

The stone vanished, and the humans did too. Nothing remained but the ashen-charred sweep of ice surrounding the altar. Alex looked at Nuli. The little dragon didn't know what to think.

"Don't worry, Nuli." he assured, "This story's far from over. Now come; let's get out of this cold."

With a graceful leap, he bounded off the flag-shaft and down the fortress walls.

They never touched the ground.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 5:06 pm 
Chat Moderator

Jason awoke to a low rumbling. He drew his knife and sat up and quickly noticed two things. First, the roof and all but one wall of the room were almost completely gone, incinerated was his guess from a quick look. Secondly he noticed a man kneeling near the center of the wall which was still intact. The man had both hands on the top of a kiteshield. Jason was relieved(as much as one could be when one wakes to find one's room almost completely destroyed) to notice that the man was Timrak. He got out of his bed and nudged Karmadin and then walked over to Timrak.

"What's the situation?" He asked Timrak. When knelt near him he could see that Timrak was concentrating very hard on his shield. After a few moments he responded, "Three creatures. Fire Based. Attacked Falador." Between each statement he paused briefly as if talking lowered his concentration on his shield. "Skyrate sent me down here," he continued, "just in time to see the first creature strike the store. My only choice was to put up a spherical shield. No time to wake you and the girls."

By now Karmadin was awake and fully equipped. Jason put the rest of his gear on while Timrak continued to explain, "Alex and his friend are out fighting them. Our only chance is to teleport away. I can't hold the barrier much longer."

At saying this Jason began to realize what actually was happening, or maybe, what had happened. Their room, or what was left of it, was in a half-moon shape. A slightly visible blue light could be seen near the edge of the half-moon. On their side of the light the room was normal, on the otherside it was non-existent or burning. Timrak had shield their room in a half-moon and since he said 'sphere' that would mean that the adjoining room would also be shield. That was, of course, the room where Michael, Elise, and Momsrascal were.

"Break through the wall and then wake the others and teleport out! I can hold another five minutes - MAYBE!" Timrak commanded, his voice thundering with the strain he was under.

Jason drew the Scaarz-Got and swung at the wall. Perhaps not the best use of the weapon nor the best tool for the job, but it was effective nonetheless. A few strong swings chopped through the boards dividing the two rooms enough for them to get through. The blade didn't even flinch. A kick from Karmadin finished opening the holes. The noise woke Momsrascal, who jumped up with one of her swords in a defensive stance. She quickly noticed the cause was not enemies but rather her comrades. She lowered her guard and then realized the room was on fire - or not quite. A (very) quick debrief from Jason and she was on the ball. Karmadin had woken Elise by now and he and Jason tried to wake Michael but to no avail. Elise tried a quick commune with him via earth spirit abilities but he didn't respond.

Jason returned to Timrak and gave him an update, "The girls are up but Michael won't wake."
"Don't worry about him, I'll get him. You and the rest teleport to The Tower. I'll follow." Timrak said.

Elise teleported first, then Momsrascal, then Karmadin, and finally Jason went. They all appeared in the courtyard of the Tower. In was quiet and peaceful, as the Tower's courtyard usually is in the middle of the night. They anxiously waited for what seemed like hours but in reality was only a little more than a minute for Timrak and Michael to appear.

*SNAP*

They all turned around to see Timrak with Michael around his shoulders. He had appeared outside of the teleport quadrant and was actually carrying Michael, not just supporting him. Jason and Karmadin ran over to take Michael from Timrak. After letting him go Timrak collapsed to one knee and was breathing very heavy. Momsrascal rushed over to help him up but he put his hand up and she stopped.

"Nothing....you can....do for me...but thanks..." he said in between breaths.

After a few hours Michael awoke. He had been brought to the Medical Wing of the Tower, though the medics weren't able to do anything to help him. Elise was overjoyed when she was told he was awake and when she asked how he felt he assured her he was fine and would be tired for a few days but was not injured.

The five heroes met in the lounge (yes, the Generals have a lounge in the Tower) for breakfast and though Michael was tired his appetite didn't show it.

"Where is Timrak?" Michael asked after Jason had recounted what had happened.

"I think he's still in his room. After he came here with you we brought you to the Med Wing and Momsrascal spoke with Timrak some." Jason said.

"Yea, he said he was going to his room to rest. Haven't seen him since." she replied.

"What brought him to the inn at just the right time?" Michael asked.

"Skyrate sent him."

"Ahhh, I knew he hadn't left us yet. I wonder where he's been these past few months..." Michael pondered as he continued to eat his breakfast. Originally his whole plate had weighed a large portion of Elise, but he had eaten about half by now. Nature Spirits sure can put it away.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 8:59 am 
Chat Moderator

I personally think we should revert back to the quick, page-long back-and-forths to help give the story some creative, collaborative flow. This way, there won't be these long breaks in between and not as much pressure to get them done.

Alex had an apology prepared for the Star. He was prepared to accept the consequence for desertion of the town. With Hunt no longer on the planet, he was more than willing to do the necessary step in redeeming his actions. Hopefully having the planet repaired and Varrock back will have some positive merit towards him.

He touched down in the courtyard and morphed back into human form with Nuli fluttering overhead, surveying his surroundings. This was his first time at the Tower of the Star; Alex saw no reason to bring him there, as he wasn't a warrior nor a hero of the world. Simply a little dragon with a keen intellect, a thirst for the hunt, and a strange interest in astronomy. And the last surviving White Dragon, but no pressure there. He approached the door and, summoning up his courage (and energy into his hand to conform it to a large, solid ball for powerful knocking), rapped loudly on it.

But instead of having to use the apology, he was greeted with relieved sighs that he had survived and taken in immediately. The initial report was that since Alex and Hunt went missing during battle, and Hunt's half-melted mask was found in a nearby wall, they were defeated and moreover vaporized. Then there were some reports that witnesses claimed they had fled the scene after the attackers vanished; the assumption was that they had given chase. Alex decided to simply leave it at that, as that was what the heroes wanted to believe.

Alex had also learned that because the attack was so sudden, he and Hunt were the only ones to actually run out to thwart it while everyone else teleported to plan their next move. This made Alex rather suspect to their intent. I mean, sure it was priority to regroup after such an attack, but surely their combined efforts might have at least taken one of these unknown assailants down for studying.

… no, not unknown. Alex shook his head. He HAD seen them before, in his past life. That's how he was able to combat them so effectively despite it being his first time. But where? And what were they?

… ah, he'll figure it out soon enough.

Turns out the damage wasn't as bad as he thought, either. Sure, the city was pretty much levelled and it was going to take many months for the smog to fully dissipate, but a considerable number of Faladorians had survived the attack. Several bunkered down in fire-proof shelters (old, paranoiac dragon-attack shelters; the lucky stiffs), and several more had evacuated the city on the first strike. The attack simply happened so quickly and powerfully that Alex had thought he had already slept through a full hour of it rather than only 5 minutes. For the human race, sometimes that's all it takes to survive.

Alex barely had time to finish his breather; the meeting was called, and he was hurriedly escorted to the meeting room, where all the heroes had already gathered.

"Where's Hunt?" was the first question thrown at him before the great doors could close.

"Gone forever." he replied with no regrets and as much disdain towards the subject as possible. They didn't ask any more on it.

Instead, Alex turned to the one riding his shoulder.

"Nuli," he said, pointing around the table, "These are the heroes of the star: Michael, Elise, Momsrascal, Jason, Karmadin, and Timrak."

Elise approached, taking an innocent interest in Nuli, "Hey, Alex, is this your pe-"

Alex swiftly held up a hand to silence her. He knew how much Nuli didn't like the disrespecting classification.

"This is Gia's son, Nulirathra." Alex introduced, gesturing with an open hand as Elise scratched under the White Dragon's chin. Neither of them were really listening to him. Might as well have called him a pet, since his pleased reaction did everything to support the case. This was the making of a good friendship right here.

The draconic duo took their seats. Alex took the advantage to allow Nuli to take the chair his father left for him, to which he accepted. While it did make the table much more satisfyingly occupied, it did look rather ridiculous that the smallest member of the meeting was now occupying the largest chair. What's more, he took full advantage of the seat space to sit upright and bow his head in a focused manner. He was keenly interested in this meeting of the heroes, and wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 2:52 pm 
Chat Moderator

I agree. I was going to post only a few days after you but I got really busy. Trying to make time to post though.

Jason started the meeting by recounting the events of the past 48 hours. After traveling to deep wilderness to examine the Ranger's reports of a large concentration of Revenants, they were ambushed. They put up a stout defense but were defeated and had to retreat when a strange dark figure appeared and vaporized all of the Rangers. Alex was commended for fending off the figure while the rest of the heroes regrouped and started towards Falador.

The night they returned to Falador the entire city was attacked by unknown flying creatures that seemed to either be made entirely of flame or were some sort embodied fire spirit. Timrak noted the state of the city when he arrived and Alex verified when that was. It turned out that Timrak had arrived right before one of the creatures hit the inn with a large blast. The blast was more powerful than most so they agreed that the creature must've known the Heroes were in it. Timrak explained that he though two of the creature were attacking the Inn by the time the Heroes had teleported out because the strain on him was so intense. Alex agreed that could be since he was fighting one and later a total of three flew away. Alex saw a glimpse of the Inn collapsing just a few moments before the creatures flew away. This was when Timrak took Michael and went to the Tower.

After bringing Michael to the Timrak had gone back to Falador. By then Alex, Hunt, and the Creatures were gone. The majority of the city was in flames. Timrak searched through the streets quickly but found no one or corpses outside of the houses. Either they had made it out, were safe in the shelters, or even their bodies were incinerated. After the search he returned to the Tower to rest until morning.

After they had finished going over the events there was a knock on the door. Jason bade them in and a Lieutenant stepped in and said, "Commander Kerrtin of the 3rd Ranger Squad, sire, has returned and wishes to speak with the Generals."

"Kerrtin? He was killed in the ambush I thought." Jason said to the table, baffled.

"He was alive before the figure appeared but I didn't see him after that." Karmadin said.

"Send him in." Jason said.

Kerrtin came in with a slight limp. His gear and clothing were badly damaged and he was bandaged on his left arm and right leg.

"You could have stayed in the sickbay and they would've sent a message to us." Jason said as he greeted Kerrtin.

"No, sir, I'm not that bad off. I look worse than I am." He replied. His voice was slightly raspy, which was odd because the Elves of Elduvian have fair voices. "Excuse my voice sir," he said, "the dust of the battle has affected me some. Medics say it should clear in a few days."

"You should go to your room and rest." Karmadin said.

"I will, sir, but I wanted to tell you of my survival before I do so that you knew that not all were lost." Kerrtin said.

"Then you may do so if you feel up to it." Jason said and then sat down.

Kerrtin began, "I was about 50 yards from the rest of the Rangers when they were hit. Poor souls, I believe they were all vaporized. At least they felt no pain. I injured none from the blast but was thrown away a good many yards and landed on my leg. At first I thought it was broke but it seemed to only be a minor fracture as I was able to get up and make my way towards you. When I saw you retreating I decided to turn south and go to Falador. I was too far away from you to meet up before reaching there anyways as you were going south-west and I woulda been following you with a bad leg.

So I made my way south and west some to Falador. No sooner had I gotten some 100yards near the gate did three streaks shoot through the sky and rain fire down on the entire city. I wanted to rush in but with my bad leg I woulda been burned to a crisp in no time. Instead I took my emergency tablet and broke it to return here. I figured you musta returned here as well with the city on fire."

"Thank you, Commander Kerrtin. Your return brings us some relief." Jason said.

"I wish I coulda saved the rest of our Rangers though. Tears my heart that they died."

"Ours too." Jason said.

"You should get your rest now, you surely need it, my friend." Karmadin said.

"Aye, thank you, sir. I'll get my rest and report back in-"

"Report back when you're well rested, don't worry about the time." Karmadin said.

"Thank you, sir." Kerrtin said and then left.

After he had left Jason spoke, "One survivor. 42 of the most valiant and experienced warriors of our time. Gone. When I get my hands on that creature that attacked us in the wilderness...."

"That may not be far off." A strong voice said from the doorway. Everyone, aside from Nuli who quickly focused his attention on the speaker, knew who the voice was. Standing in the doorway was Skyrate, in his usual black garb and cloak. Next to him stood a nearly identical brown figure. The primary difference being it was much more slender and a just a tad shorter. Skyrate walked to his seat near Timrak and his companion followed him.

"You're a welcome sight!" Jason exclaimed as he came towards Skyrate. He was going to hug him but instead decided a handshake would be much better. Everyone was glad to see him though the rest simply greeted him with a 'Welcome Back' or the sort. Alex gave a slight smile at his return because not only did his return add one more man, but Alex also knew that in some circumstances only he and Skyrate were able to combat their foes. Alex leaned over to Nuli and explained a little about Skyrate.

Skyrate put his hood back, something that very rarely happened(and almost never did in battle), and then began to speak, "I've been away in search of, and to train, a very important comrade of who I will speak more about shortly.

The foe you fought in the Wilderness is Dulcien. He is, and has been for the past few ages, the most devout Mahjarrat follower of Zaros. He hates Zamorakian but has never been a friend of Saradominists nor Armadylians. His goal is total world domination. He does not care who he destroys first, as his plans are that all shall fall. You have already seen but a small part of his power on the battlefield when Alex fought him."

At this Skyrate gave a nod of commendation to Alex. Alex was slightly shocked that Skyrate referred to what he had fought as 'but a small part of his power'. If that was true, than Alex would have to be in the utmost of top shape to stand a chance against Dulcien when he got serious. Thankfully with Hunt gone he wouldn't have to worry about him and so could put even more into the battle. He hoped he would have at least a few days to rest though.

Skyrate continued, "Dulcien is as close to a god as is possible, in fact he is stronger than some gods. He is the one responsible for releasing the Revenants. He has released some for pure fury while keeping a large portion under his control. Those under his control have the power to leave the wilderness should he bid them to. He also has an innumerable army of demonlike creatures. Unnatural combinations of the demonic races that live around Gielinor combined with undead.

His most dangerous minions, however, are the Gormons. They are direct creations of Zaros himself. Thousands of years ago they were banished to the realm of Eqru-Nahk. They are about 50 feet tall, weigh 10 tons each, and can lift 4 tons. Their hide is a foot thick except for a small spot behind their ear which is very susceptible. Any puncture to that spot will kill them. Dulcien has been able to revoke the banishment on over 500 of them by binding them to himself. This weakens him to a slight extent. Every Gormon defeated allows him to use a little more of his power. Likewise, if he uses too much he will lose his hold on some Gormons and they will return to Eqru-Nahk.

I must make one thing extremely clear and you all must understand it without fault, Dulcien can only be harmed by a very few weapons. The only type known to Gielinorians is Dragonite. This is the only type that can harm him or protect from his sword. If his sword makes contact with any other material it will disintegrate it. If his sword touches flesh it will cause instant death. For this reason you all must carry a dragonite item when we siege is castle.

As most of you probably know, Mahjarrat are immortal and can only be killed a few ways. Dulcien's power is so great that if killed he would be able to reform in a few years, or at most, a century. That is why we must send him back to Freneskae. To do this requires another willing Mahjarrat to accompany him."

"That could be hard to find." Michael said, "There are very few Mahjarrat left in Gielinor. And of those that are left I don't think any would willingly return to Freneskae."

"That is where my companion helps us, or rather, helps the world." Skyrate said. His companion lowered their hood. She had clay colored skin, yellow eyes which had a slight glow, and dark brown hair in a small ponytail.

"Natalya Norodrium, the last neutral Mahjarrat on Gielinor. For 5,000 years she has remained hidden, secretly destroying Zamorakian and Zarosian forces as she could. She has selflessly volunteered to be sent back to Freneskae forever with Dulcien. There they will continue to fight each other, forever."

PostPosted: January 5th, 2012, 9:26 pm 
Chat Moderator

Nothing spices a plot up like a little misunderstanding.

TOWER OF THE STAR MEETING ROOM

Alex wasn't about to tell them what had happened to Freneskae from the death of Zamcatristak. For one thing, it would be a heartbreak for Natalya. For another, being sent there as it was now would most certainly beat being locked in eternal battle.

Instead, when he opened his mouth, it was for another concern altogether.

"If I may bring up a point, the Mahjarrat have just recently had their Ritual." Alex announced, "And Dulcien made contact with the Stone before they vanished."

Skyrate gave him a look. Alex took notice.

"... yes, Skyrate. Nuli and I were there too, atop Zemourgal's fortress. Last place anyone there would look, we figured."

He nodded. If anything, Alex understood the situation perfectly.

"This means that Dulcien has regained even more power. Not only that, but after casting the majority of us into a weakened state with, as you say, a "small part" of his power, I fear we won't get much time to rest at all. It would be wisely strategic for him to take advantage of our moment of weakness and mount a full strike in the very near future. This would guarantee him victory and eliminate even the slightest chance at defeat."

Jason turned sharply. He had started pacing as he listened to Skyrate's report, but as he heard Alex's idea, he approached the table in all seriousness.

"I agree. We can't rely on reconnaissance anymore. We'll need to once again gather up as many forces as Gielinor can offer to combat this threat as soon as we can."

But Karmadin was shaking his head.

"The last time we did this was barely half a year ago." he said, "How many soldiers out there do you think are willing to put their lives on the line again so soon?"

The room went silent for a bit. Karmadin was using personal experience to reinforce his point. Deep down, the majority of them were really only fighting because of their sworn duty to Gielinor and the Star. If the chore was optional, none of them would be in the room. It was difficult to have faith that they would have a hefty turnout, let alone one at all.

"We'll need to hit them at the source." Skyrate advised, "Bypass Dulcien's defences, and take him out from behind his own lines."

"An assassination." Natalya concurred.

The majority of the heroes stared. Assassination. Such a dishonourable tactic. Sure, they didn't have much choice in the matter, and they were up against an incredibly powerful foe, but they were warriors of Saradomin and the holy good. He would not have liked them having to resort to such a tactic.

Nevertheless, these were dark times, and Saradomin was no longer with them. If it was to safeguard the good of the world, "any means necessary" had to be as literal as they could make it.

The only one not staring at the duo was Nuli. He had been sitting in silence for a while, and just now, he took out his notepad from his pouch and began writing into it. Alex peered over and took interest, but it only looked like he was drawing a star pattern. More of a doodle than anything. He smiled to himself and returned to the conversation. Of course Nuli wouldn't have much to contribute to the conversation; he had no idea what was going on at all.

"I don't like that idea." Elise said.

"Me neither." Michael agreed, "I would sooner die than resort to such a dishonourable tactic."

Timrak remained unsure, "Gentlemen, we don't have very much choice in the matter. Do we risk maintaining our honour and risk sacrificing absolutely everything else?"

"And what about that attack on Falador?" asked Momsrascal, "Dulcien's already making his move. We barely survived. These are dark times for all of us."

"I wonder, though," Michael said, "I didn't witness them, but the way you described them to me, were they really Dulcien's elites?"

Jason exchanged glances with Timrak and Skyrate, and then replied, "They attacked Falador while we were asleep and recovering from a hard battle in which we had to retreat, most likely in an attempt to wipe us out. Dulcien would've been the only one to know of this, as we went straight back, so thinking by strategy and motive, I'd say they have to be part of Dulcien's force."

"Can't be."

His voice wasn't overwhelmingly commanding, but it might as well have been. The discussion suddenly stopped, and all eyes turned to the enogan warrior. Even Nuli took interest.

"Well… I'm going to be perfectly honest with you guys." Alex said, "I totally agree with what you said, but I have seen those fire creatures before. I don't remember where, but when I fighting them, I somehow knew how to properly retaliate. As though I had fought them once before, a long time ago."

"You don't remember where?" asked Elise.

"No. Still a blank." Alex replied, "I regained so many strange memories that they befuddle themselves. I can't say for sure, but for some reason, I have a feeling they have a different allegiance than to Dulcien, and we were only coincidentally in Falador when they attacked just to… I dunno, get our attention."

The table erupted in an exchange of murmurs, but it was Timrak who stood up.

"Alex, the last thing we need is a three-way war based on an uncertainty." Timrak said, "Unless you can remember or figure out who and what those creatures were, we're going to have to assume they're working for Dulcien, as their intent to wipe us out is apparently the same."

Alex hesitated, but nodded in agreement. There was no denying that he was right. Three-way wars were much more complicated than simple good-vs-bad due to the aspect of negotiation. Sides joining up and betraying one another during a time of weakness were always commonplace in such events. At least with a 2-sided war, there were usually no chances at negotiation and alliance; if there were, there wouldn't even be a war.

The room was thrown back into silence, with not a sound save for the soft scratchings of Nuli's scribbling. After a silence long enough for Jason to have enough confidence to speak uninterruptedly, he did.

LAWRENCE'S ISLAND

Zamorak watched the night sky light up, and the three colored beams of light smashed into the beachhead in front of him. Strange, they had returned awfully early.

A wave of flame erupted around them, causing the sand to splatter into a splash of glass
, and the three bird-like creatures marched up the hill. While the amber-colored one remained indifferent, though annoyed at the two, the ochre-colored one was missing both arms and the lime-colored one was shouting in his ear.

"What the heck?" he heard Lime shout in their own language, "Why'd you call a retreat? You, of all Ormra!"

"The Unknown One!" Ochre roared at Lime's face, then to Zamorak, "It was Unknown One! It was there!"

Zamorak's eyes bulged, "WHAAT?!"

"I recognize!" Ochre shouted amidst quick breaths, "Eyes! Sword! Energy! No doubt!"

"That's impossible!" Zamorak yelled in disbelief, "It was defeated! I saw with my own eyes!"

"I saw what I saw!" Ochre argued, "Nothing you say can convince me otherwise. It was the Unknown One. It is on this planet!"

Zamorak didn't want to hear another word. With a sweep of his cape, he turned and stormed off, trying to comprehend this strange, horrifying claim.

"So, wha? Tha's why yer arms ain't there is cuz 'is sword sliced 'em?" asked Amber.

Ochre grumbled, only just remembering he was literally armless. A burst of bright, glowing blood jetted out of his arm stumps, materialized into a distinguishable shape, and solidified to identically replace the limbs he had lost in the battle.

"No, it didn't use sword." Ochre hissed, catching his breath, "Different weapon. Unknown metal. Masked. Didn't know when I fought."

"How could you not know?" Lime asked, "You pick your targets, don't you?"

"It not fight alone." Ochre shouted, "I fought other warrior with it. Taller. Used spear. Made of Clay Metal."

"WHAAAT?!"

Even Ochre jumped. As fast as Zamorak stormed off, he was right back into the conversation.

"Clay Metal? A warrior made of Enogan?" he barked.

"Yes!" Ochre shouted, apparently annoyed at the outburst and interruption, "Clay Metal Warrior. Probably puppet!"

But the look in Zamorak's eyes forced Ochre to silence himself. He had once feared before. The very name of the God he fought to bring down once brought the bones in his legs to quiver, as though they suddenly were whittled to toothpicks. He didn't like that feeling, and did everything in his power to avoid it again. Death threats of the mere mention; the burning of the ashes of books that once referenced it; the attempt of complete annihilation against anyone who so much as knew the Z in a God's name that wasn't him. He once knew fear before.

It was nothing like what he was feeling now.

The Ormra watched in shock as their mighty Lord Zamorak staggered over to a suitably large rock, plopped down on it, and buried his face in his hands.

This was it! There was no other explanation!

The Unknown came back to finish him off!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2012, 8:15 pm 
Runite Member

RS Name: paidsaint
RS Status: F2P
Clan Name: who needs one?
A feeling of despair welled up within the shadows as they witnessed their god in such a state. What would they do without him? Darkrascal only stood there frozen with fear to witness the terrible events that would likely transpire. Kate teleported away, becoming too cowardly to witness the beginning of the end of her people.

"No! NO!!" Darkrascal screamed with horror in her mind, too panicked to make an audible sound. Lawrence fell to his knees as his people tried to flee from doom. They feared the end of the Shadow race would be nigh.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2012, 2:47 pm 
Chat Moderator

Sorry about that. Going to try to post Saturday or Tuesday night now.

Jason looked around the room at the Heroes. While he valued everyone's thoughts and ideas greatly, the final decision ultimately came down to him unless he was either incapacitated, widely outnumbered in opinion, or the rest of the Heroes deemed him unfit. As he looked at each one he saw in Natalya's eyes that she seemed to have something on her mind.

"What are your thoughts, Natalya?" he asked her.

"I would agree with Alex." she said. Everyone, except Nuli who was still eagerly writing, turned towards her. Timrak had been staring at a wall in deep thought, contemplating either strategy or the outcome of what must be done. "The creatures did not strike with strategy," she continued, "as they would have if Dulcien was commanding them. The main reason I believe this is because they did not attack until you were asleep in the inn. If they were Dulcien's then he would have had them come around behind you while he fought Alex or, even more likely, already had them behind you before he appeared. He sets his board like a chess clockwork. Each piece has a purpose and a time and he does not move until they are in place. If they were his it is unlikely that most, if any, of you would have survived."

Jason thought about this. She was right, this was more of a chaotic attack than a planned one. Sure, the creatures did lots of damage but in the end the city still remained standing and the Heroes all survived. If they were the target the creatures had failed.

"Why do you think he set us up in the wilderness and ambushed us but let us escape? According to Skyrate he could have destroyed us there if he had wanted." he asked.

"He knows you usually scout and assess a threat and then assemble your army accordingly. First he alarmed your Rangers which brought you into the wilderness. There he was able to show you a large danger but let you escape so that you would call a meeting and assemble your army and attack him in the wilderness. By then he would have the entire wilderness set as an ambush. Once you were far enough in he would give the attack order and attack from all sides. And I mean every conceivable direction."

"Why didn't you tell us this in the first place?" Jason asked.

"You didn't ask." she said with a slight laugh, "Mahjarrat have a tendency to not say things unless they would otherwise be in danger."

"Our course of action would not have put you in danger? Were you not planning on coming?" he asked.

She laughed lightly again, "The majority of his creatures cannot harm me. Skyrate and I would still be able to combat him in the wilderness. The primary difference would be that many more of your people would die."

"Difference versus?"

"Versus combating him in his own fortress as Skyrate suggested. Fighting him on his own turf will catch him off guard. He knows there is no way for any known enemy to reach his fortress except by his heavily fortified land bridge. None can teleport there because the coordinates are unknown. With him off guard he'll be unable to fully use his large force because he does not have a plan to protect his fortress from the inside."

"How do you know that?"

"I know him." she said.

The room was silent again for a time. Timrak would be the last to go against anything Skyrate or a companion of his might say and so was thinking very hard on what Natalya had said. He and Skyrate had spent much time studying Dulcien and he had to admit that Natalya was correct - these creatures could not have been his.

"Who were the creatures then?" Timrak said, breaking the silence.

"I do not know. Both I and Skyrate have seen them a few times before, but never have we bothered much with them. They are an enemy of sizable degree though to who they belong I cannot say." Natalya replied.

"It would seem, then," Jason started, "that although these creatures have ill intent towards us they are not Dulcien's. Also, we must not assemble our army and march straight to fight Dulcien. I believe we must go in covertly. I know it may be dishonorable," (with this he looked at Elise and Michael) "but I think we must do it."

"How do we get in though?" Elise asked, "Natalya said the coordinates are unknown so I can't teleport there."

"Skyrate, Timrak, and I can get in. But by ourselves I do not think we could win." Natalya said.

"What if you brought a beacon with you?" Jason asked, "We could teleport to the beacon."

"Nay, Dulcien would feel the presence of the beacon and be prematurely alerted.

"Well, I still do not like the idea of assassination. But I'm not going to stand by either. Elise and I should be able to reach the area by earth, though it may take awhile and we'll need a guide of some sort." Michael said.

"I will be able to guide you as you travel." Skyrate said.

"That leaves Karmadin, Momsrascal, Alex, and I." Jason said.

"I believe Alex may be able to accommodate the rest." Skyrate said.