Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Monitor shuts off, won't turn back on.
PostPosted: September 19th, 2009, 6:18 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: lKiwi
RS Status: Classic
OK, so after about 10 minutes of playing CoD4 my monitor will say it's going to sleep and won't turn back on. The only way to get it back on is to hold the power button on my computer, and then turn it back on.

When the monitor goes off the computer is still on.

This just started happening today. It's really annoying so hopefully someone can help me.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 19th, 2009, 6:18 pm 
Dragon Member

Post subject: Re: Monitor shuts off, won't turn back on.
PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 6:24 am 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: VettelS
RS Status: P2P
Firstly, are you absolutely sure that all that's happening is the monitor turning off? By this I mean, is the computer actually going to sleep? To test this, allow your computer to do its thing. Then once the monitor is apparently off, try pressing the power button on the computer, just as you would if you were turning it on normally. If your computer is indeed asleep, this will probably wake it up. Also, if you have a "wake" button on your keyboard, try that. And then there's the obvious pressing keys on the keyboard and clicking the mouse.

If any of this above works, you can be pretty sure that all your computer is doing is going to sleep. You should be able to solve this easily by going to Control Panel and then Power Options. Look around for the sleep settings and set it to "never". Whilst you're there, the setting for turning off the display should be near, do set that to "never" as well. Once you've changed thse settings, try CoD4 again and see if it happens.

Post back with your results, and also with your operating system. If your problem still persists, I have some other possible causes in mind (but there's no point of going into them if the above solves it).

PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 4:25 pm 
Dragon Member

That didn't work :(

PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 5:56 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: FungiMonarch
Clan Name: The Hot Nuns of Taverley
First things first, are your display drivers up to date? Are you sure your monitor sleep settings aren't enabled to trigger the hibernation? Also, from what I read it could be a hardware problem involving the PSU. If you have the know-how, open up your computer and make sure that dust isn't blocking any of the vents.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 6:05 pm 
Dragon Member

Mushroom Queen wrote:
First things first, are your display drivers up to date? Are you sure your monitor sleep settings aren't enabled to trigger the hibernation? Also, from what I read it could be a hardware problem involving the PSU. If you have the know-how, open up your computer and make sure that dust isn't blocking any of the vents.

Ya Ill try cleaning dust out. First Ill attempt to get new drivers.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 9:30 am 
Rsbandb Donor

I also have two other avenues of investigation. Firstly is your graphics card (assuming you use one). As MQ said, update the drivers, and if this doesn't work, try plugging the monitor directly into the display port on the motherboard. Again, post back with results.

Also if none of that works, it's worth looking at your BIOS settings, although this should be a last resort.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 9:30 am 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 12:29 pm 
Dragon Member

I just updated the drivers, and cleaned all the fans. Left the case open on its side for an hour and a half as everything within it seemed very hot, so I was letting it cool.

I think the computer may be shutting itself of due to overheating. I leave it on 24/7 only restarting for updates or shutting it down due to storms so I think it might be overheating. In which case cleaning the fans should help, and shutting it down for a while more often.

As mush as I'd like to try plugging the video cable directly into the motherboard's port, I wouldn't be able to play any games so that would defeat the purpose of fixing the current problem.

I'm going to try to play again in a short while so hopefully everything will go well.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 2:16 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

Okay, hope all goes well when you try the game again.

Although I don't think over-heating is an issue because if it was, your computer would shut itself down, instead of going to sleep or turning off the monitor.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 4:15 pm 
Dragon Member

aquw 776 wrote:
Okay, hope all goes well when you try the game again.

Although I don't think over-heating is an issue because if it was, your computer would shut itself down, instead of going to sleep or turning off the monitor.

Ya didn't work. Basically the monitor is going to sleep and the power light on the computer is staying on, and the computer stops responding completely.

Really wish I could get this fixed.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 4:31 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Killjoy4eva
RS Status: Old School (2007)
Have you tried a spare monitor?

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 4:55 pm 
Dragon Member

Killjoy4eva wrote:
Have you tried a spare monitor?

All the other ones I have are broken. I wish they worked because they're both bigger than the monitor I'm using :(

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 5:01 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
My guess is a problem with the DVI port(s). Is there a different port you can try?

The reason I guess this is that you say it only happens after playing the game. Playing the game uses the video card which generates heat. The problem could be a bad soldering point with one or both of the ports. Basically the card heats up, the solder can't conduct, you lose your display.

If it was a bad solder point inside the graphics card somewhere you'd be bluescreening as Windows would see it as a hardware failure. This would simply look like losing connection (which is what you describe).

Try a different port or a different graphics card if you have.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 5:10 pm 
Dragon Member

Shane wrote:
My guess is a problem with the DVI port(s). Is there a different port you can try?

The reason I guess this is that you say it only happens after playing the game. Playing the game uses the video card which generates heat. The problem could be a bad soldering point with one or both of the ports. Basically the card heats up, the solder can't conduct, you lose your display.

If it was a bad solder point inside the graphics card somewhere you'd be bluescreening as Windows would see it as a hardware failure. This would simply look like losing connection (which is what you describe).

Try a different port or a different graphics card if you have.

Ill try a different port :D Hopefully I have one.

If it's a problem with the card itself it should be under warranty as it's about 2 months old.

Edit: I have no other ports that the graphics card will fit :(

heres the graphics card (except the fan looks a bit different). I don't know if you guys knowing the exact model will help but I figured it can't hurt.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 12:19 am 
Rsbandb Donor

Does it only happen when you play this one game? Try playing a similar game to put load on the graphics card and see what happens. It could be software issue with the game.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 2:20 pm 
Dragon Member

aquw 776 wrote:
Does it only happen when you play this one game? Try playing a similar game to put load on the graphics card and see what happens. It could be software issue with the game.

happens with all games demanding on the graphics card.