Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ubuntu Linux. Should I? And how?
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 1:40 pm 
Well there was a pretty nifty guide (As far as I remember) on all the ins and outs of Linux and how to use it without removing Windows on Runevillage....

But Runevillage's net server is down, and since I've just joined Rsbandb I thought I'd ask here.

So. Is Linux worth it? I know it's open source and not designed for games, but that's what intrigues me, I'm an amateur programmer, I'm not a programming legend but I'm willing to learn, and I have a knowledge of Python and Java, and Linux seems the perfect base.

I've been experimenting a lot recently, for example, I switched from IE to Opera just now.

Is it possible to have Linux as a second operating system, and what files do I need to back up, just my Windows system files? Or everything?

Can I install Linux on my second harddrive? Or even a removeable one so it only boots from linux when I've got it plugged in?

Thanks.

-Matt

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 1:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 1:48 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: General aj01
RS Status: Classic
Clan Name: None
1. Just in time, Masterofthevortex has made a guide to installing ubuntu here:
MOTV's basic guide to installing and using Ubuntu

2. MOTV's a week of using just Ubuntu here

3. Some questions involving Ubuntu Here

My Notes:
Installing was great, except getting partitions to work correctly during install

Well worth it, _> back later

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 1:57 pm 
Alright, thanks. What about risk-wise, what are the problems I might face, and how can I prevent them.

Although I can normally sort things out when it comes on applications on the PC itself, I'm not much of a Techie when it comes to building PCs and/or Operating Systems.

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 2:30 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

As said already in chat: Slight change you might loose your data, but this is usually because of user error in making partitions.

1. Make a backup of all file you want
2. Make a list of all programs you want

All software for Ubuntu is open source (well 99%) and is completely free.

Ubuntu is naturally safe without a firewall or anti virus (unless you d/lin something evil :{)

There is many commands when you first install that require the command line, it's a text command like cmd / command prompt in windows. Ubuntu is the most user friendly and automated of Linux distros. Updates are delivered and most programs can easily be installed with just a few click and no code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 2:37 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
O.o another Matt. Welcome to RSBandB Matt.

Anyways on topic, i'm running on Ubuntu linux atm. Its not to bad after awhile, especially if your really into IM services. You can install java to run RS and flash.

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 2:46 pm 
Yeah I came from RuneVillage, like, it turns out, a lot of others did when RV went down (Temporarily) :P

Can I get it to run only when I have a disk inserted, or only when I have a certain removeable drive plugged in, etc?

-Matt

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 2:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 3:49 pm 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Firemana
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Problem Solvers
I believe you can have it run off a disk, that's what my friend did for the first time on my comp.

Alot of people seemed to have come from RV now that we have an updated chat o.o All the more RSBandBers! :twisted: :P

88th Dragon Member : Informer Writer : Content Crew : Chat Moderator ::
"If it ain't broke, dun fix it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 4:38 pm 
Dragon Member

Quote:
what files do I need to back up, just my Windows system files? Or everything?

Back up everything. Seriously, if something goes wrong in the Installation process, you can screw it all up.

Quote:
Can I install Linux on my second harddrive? Or even a removeable one so it only boots from linux when I've got it plugged in?

Yes, you can put it on a second hard drive. Just make sure that during the Ubuntu Installation process you select to put GRUB on hd0.

As for a USB stick, yes, it's possible, although can be difficult to get working, and not all computers will support it.

Quote:
So. Is Linux worth it? I know it's open source and not designed for games, but that's what intrigues me, I'm an amateur programmer, I'm not a programming legend but I'm willing to learn, and I have a knowledge of Python and Java, and Linux seems the perfect base.

Linux can be a good base for programming, there are various development environments available to install through Ubuntu's installer program.

-

How big is your second drive? How much is in use on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2007, 3:49 am 
Well, it used to be my old system disk, but I added a new one and copied everything over to it so my system disk was larger, and the other day I formatted the old one...

So basically it has like 77/80Gb free. (I put some music on it)

I did a Defrag analysis and it looks clean and there's only a tiny area on the left in use...

Is there an alternative I can use to Grub? I don't want it to boot in Linux by default, I would like something that either still boots up in Windows by default, but during start up I can tell it to boot up in Linux...

Or stops during the boot and asks me which system I want to load, but doesn't choose one automatically after 10 seconds or whatever (Unless of course it's choosing windows by default)

---------

And, Master, how do I go about backing up 121Gb when I don't have the time to spare, nor 121Gb of free space anyway. (And I don't want to go out and buy a new drive for this)

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2007, 6:14 am 
Dragon Member

Quote:
Well, it used to be my old system disk, but I added a new one and copied everything over to it so my system disk was larger, and the other day I formatted the old one...

So basically it has like 77/80Gb free. (I put some music on it)

Thats fine. You could make a little 10GB partition on that hard drive.

Quote:
Is there an alternative I can use to Grub? I don't want it to boot in Linux by default, I would like something that either still boots up in Windows by default, but during start up I can tell it to boot up in Linux...

The bootloader in Ubuntu will boot to Ubuntu by default, and has a timeout of 10 seconds. It is, however, possible to change the timeout and change the default boot with a bit of manual file editing. I'm having a look around for how to do this, so watch this space.

Quote:
And, Master, how do I go about backing up 121Gb when I don't have the time to spare, nor 121Gb of free space anyway. (And I don't want to go out and buy a new drive for this)

If you're installing on the second hard drive, you should be relatively safe. Back up any important documents and things to a DVD, however buying a USB or Firewire backup hard drive is always useful. You can get a good 250GB one off Amazon for about £75. (like this one)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2007, 9:24 am 
Alright, I'll see about backing up my system etc before I consider going ahead, and I'll have a look into configuring GRUB.

Since RuneVillage has a temporary forum online, if Milo (He's RuneVillage's Linux junkie) gets on there I can probably find some information about GRUB from him.

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2007, 5:34 am 
Rsbandb Donor

GRUB auto installs during the installation of Ubuntu, and is auto configured to boot Ubuntu first, with the option to boot windows. Must be installed on you boot drive, 99% sure it's hd0, unless you installed windows on you second hd (and like no one does that .. )