Post subject: Re: Newer vs. Older Music
PostPosted: May 11th, 2010, 7:02 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
RS Status: P2P
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Lord Zamorak wrote:
Almost all the music I listen to is from the past twenty years. It's not all about going AQSDAFJKGHASDKFJGHADLKAH@@@212342345 in your ear, you're just finding the wrong stuff.

I respect older bands, but I just don't really enjoy it too much.

I'm talking more about today's popular stuff. It's either Disney, nickleback or the DIFORHAJDKSGWKDDH@@@@
Remember, there are exceptions too :p

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 11th, 2010, 7:02 pm 

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 1:36 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Kill Kenny97
RS Status: Classic
Earth wrote:
Lord Zamorak wrote:
Almost all the music I listen to is from the past twenty years. It's not all about going AQSDAFJKGHASDKFJGHADLKAH@@@212342345 in your ear, you're just finding the wrong stuff.

I'm talking more about today's popular stuff. It's either Disney, nickleback or the DIFORHAJDKSGWKDDH@@@@

By WENJGLKSDJNGKSDJLNGKJSDNG@@@@ do you mean screamo? If so I don't think you're right about today's popular stuff, you forget the autotuned R&B crap.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 7:37 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Kill Buddha
RS Status: Old School (2007)
Earth wrote:
Lord Zamorak wrote:

I'm sure there were bands people thought of as lame even in the past. They simply didn't make it into the present. That's what pop music is, music that's popular for about two minutes and then no one cares.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2010, 2:48 pm 
Dragon Member

This is simple. You have the choice between extremely talented bands playing with REAL instruments and who are amazing live, or a generic band who get a few hundred studio edits and sound horrible live because they don't have their computer to edit the music.

I think Old music is by far better. No band of today has even came close to be as awesome and popular as AC/DC, Kiss, Aerosmith or Pink Floyd.

Old songs had nice lyrics, talking about REAL stuff. Today lyrics are totally ''BOOM BOOM POW!''.

I'm with old stuff. Today, they're lacking of talent and creativity. If they don't copy oldies, it's to create crap. But like Earth said, there's exceptions ^^

PostPosted: May 16th, 2010, 7:39 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: ggggbabybaby
Clan Name: N/A
People are looking in the wrong places. This generation has plenty of talented artists, musicians and songwriters.
José González
Joshua Radin
Jack Johnson
Jason Mraz
John Butler Trio
To name a few. They're all wonderful singers, excellent songwriters and brilliant musicians.
Not to mention some more mainstream bands like Coldplay and Snow Patrol. Yes, I know they're popular and liking popular bands apparently isn't what's cool anymore but they're popular for a reason. It's because they're bloody good. I've seen them both live and I can't fault them, they all played their instruments perfectly and the vocalists weren't off key. They are talented.
On the other hand, I took my father to see Status Quo a year or two ago and they mimed EVERYTHING. I'm not even joking, the guitar, bass, drums and vocals were all mimed and everyone noticed.

Yeah I'm definitely on the newer side. I like very little older songs. I'm a big fan of Abba, Paul Simon and The Monkees mind you. There are a few other gems lying around on my iPod like Don't Stop Believin' but for the most part it's newer music. Not just acoustic like what I linked above, either. I listen to a lot of Daft Punk and I'm not afraid to admit I've got Ke$ha's album which is growing on me.
It obviously comes down to taste but claiming a whole generation is talentless ("with a few excepetions" - nice safety net) is absurd. Even if you don't like the more modern types of "electronic" (for lack of a better generalization) music believe it or not it does take a certain skill to put together and I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum could match Basshunter (not the international versions of his songs, they're terrible adaptations of his Swedish versions) or Daft Punk's technical expertise when it comes to creating a song of their genre.

Edit: just noticed all the names of the artists I linked begin with J heh ;3

PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 10:42 am 
Cleverly Disguised Spammer

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Tend to agree with the little shaved munky above me. Theres plenty good stuff out there today. Problem is theres about 100X more crap these days as well which makes finding the good songs tricky at times. You've just got to go out of your way and dig through the crap.

I can appreciate and do listen to some old music but it's more modern stuff on my tracklist i need new, interesting music or i get bored. I don't see why they can't co-exist anyway stating new music "blows" is nothing short of ignorant and your only cutting yourself off from some great bands which is your loss at the end of the day.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 10:42 am 

PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 1:05 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Skype Jay
RS Status: F2P
Wouldn't there have been just as much ******* older music that just didn't survive

PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 2:07 pm 
Dragon Member

CreepyPirate wrote:
Tend to agree with the little shaved munky above me. Theres plenty good stuff out there today. Problem is theres about 100X more crap these days as well which makes finding the good songs tricky at times. You've just got to go out of your way and dig through the crap.

YES! That's what my friends and I conclued today.
Back there, there was 30/50 good bands.
Today, it's still 30 good bands, but out of 5 000. That's why today's music sounds more horrible.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 8:28 am 
Dragon Member

RS Name: Kill Kenny97
Yeah I agree with what has been said. I think in 20 or 30 years, we'll look back and remember only the best bands. I do think music has become a lot more universal now, with far more bands all trying to emulate one successful act.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 10:36 am 

RS Name: Piratesock
Clan Name: The Mushroom Pirate Federation
Warren wrote:
Wouldn't there have been just as much ******* older music that just didn't survive

Naa. Sure there was **** but they lacked a lot of the resources people have today. You can get your stuff out there much easier today and record labels are looking for people they can sell to a mass audience not actual talent.

Naturally it wasn't as bad then because the industry wasn't as big. It's grown and grown.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 12:46 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
CreepyPirate wrote:
Warren wrote:

Naa. Sure there was **** but they lacked a lot of the resources people have today. You can get your stuff out there much easier today and record labels are looking for people they can sell to a mass audience not actual talent.

Naturally it wasn't as bad then because the industry wasn't as big. It's grown and grown.

As in the Jonas Brothers, Justin Bieber, Nickleback ect.

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 5:07 pm 
Dragon Member

RS Name: ggggbabybaby
Clan Name: N/A
All 3 of those have good voices and can play their instruments to a sufficient level. They're not talentless. Again you're hating on people that are popular because they're popular and it's hip not to like popular acts nowadays.