Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: THE STONE SPIRIT SAGA
PostPosted: March 30th, 2019, 1:13 am 
Chat Moderator

RS Name: Pyrnassius
RS Status: P2P
We have seen the continued debate over the Stone Spirits introduced into the game as a replacement for ore drops back in January with the M&S rework. Sadly, these have very little gp value from runite down, due to the amount of ore already in game and the huge success the new mining mechanic introduced.

Another casualty from the M&S rework has been the availability of smithed items available for breaking down into components for invention purposes. Hardest hit by this of course, are ironmen, but it has also severely hampered regular players too. Before, a player could smith 14 scimitars in 15-20 seconds and either break them down for their own use, or put them on the GE for profit. Now, it takes 30 seconds to make 1 rune scimitar, double the time it took for an inventory of bars to make 14 (scimitars took 2 bars per item to create).

My suggestion will help both of these issues, in bringing value to the stone spirits, as well as creating a market again for items for those needing components; this will also help bring some profit back to the smiths of the game that was lost with the update.

Smithable salvage, called corrupted salvage, could be made by the players using a combination of stone spirits and metal bars. Two options could be looked at here. Firstly they could come in 3 sizes; small, medium and large, needing 1 stone spirit and one bar for the small, 2 spirits and 2 bars for medium and 4 spirits and 4 bars for the large version of either Bladed, Spiky, Blunt or Plated. The bigger the size, the better percentage of the rarer component for them. To my mind, this is a little convoluted but an option if players wanted variation. The second option, which is my preferred one, is that we introduce 1 size, requiring 3 spirits and 3 bars. These would offer a 3-4% chance at the rare components, a 35-40% chance at the standard components and a 35% base junk chance, which obviously scales as your invention level goes up. The use of the stone spirits means that creating these corrupted items would use the “older” smithing mechanic and again allow an inventory of items to be made in that 15 second model, rather than 1 item every 30 seconds. It would be a tip of the hat to the old legacy smithing, without having to change anything about the new and improved smithing training methods.
Creating smithable salvage would offer little or no xp (perhaps, like unfinished potions, it could give 1xp per item) and have no alch value. These are not being created to bring more gold into the game, only to create a fair market for players wanting components. By selling them on the GE, we create a market of supply and demand driven by the players and not by a “floor” set by an alch value.

Jagex said they didn’t want a knee-jerk reaction to the stone spirits until the market settled and they saw what happened after the DXP weekend. Sadly, the debate still goes on. Given that it is over 2 months now and players are still very vocal about these, it is time to look at an alternative use for stone spirits. I do not believe they should be removed from the game, as I think they have role to play. But I do believe we need another use for them outside of just receiving double ore from them.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 30th, 2019, 1:13 am 
Chat Moderator

Post subject: Re: THE STONE SPIRIT SAGA
PostPosted: March 30th, 2019, 11:16 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
I think it will be interesting to see what Jagex comes up with for their design. They said they want to tackle it from the Smithing side but I think stone spirits are a fine option too.

I like this idea and it probably should be mentioned on the show again.

Post subject: Re: THE STONE SPIRIT SAGA
PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 4:57 am 
Bronze Member

RS Status: Classic
Shane wrote:
I think it will be interesting to see what Jagex comes up with for their design. They said they want to tackle it from the Smithing side but I think stone spirits are a fine option too.

I like this idea and it probably should be mentioned on the show again.

Absolutely Shane, I am always excited to see upcoming Jagex designs they are absolutely stunning with their artworks.