Post subject: Changes to Skill of the Month
PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 2:21 pm 
Site Owner

RS Name: shane12088
RS Status: P2P
Skill of the Month goes back to November 2006. Every month since then we’ve run one competition. Starting in April 2007 we automated the XP gathering system and have had great success with this system. Since then though the amount of XP that someone can get in RuneScape in a month has changed.

We’ve gone from winners gaining a few million XP to tens of millions. It’s also become unrealistic to ask someone to dedicate an entire month to gaining experience in one singular skill with the hope of winning.

With that being said, here are some of the changes that we would like to make:

1.) We will run two competitions per month instead of one. Each competition will run for 10 days (this is subject to change if the desire is there). There will also be a cool down period of a couple days before the next competition begins.

2.) There will be at most one combat competition per month. Constitution will be dropped as a possible contender. Slayer will be grouped as a combat skill.

3.) Miscellaneous activities will be added to the basket of competitions possible (i.e. RuneScore, easy/medium/hard/elite/master clues completed, and Barbarian Assault role ranks)

I am fairly confident that #1 and #2 will be simple to do and well received. I do want to hear what feedback you have on #3 and which activities from here that you’d like to compete in.

Finally… prizes! What would be an acceptable prize for winning a skilling competition? And would you be willing to donate GP to a bank to purchase prizes?

We were initially going to role these changes out for the April competition but given that we’re dealing with an almost 12 year legacy, it’s best to post what’s happening first well in advance.

So, thoughts?

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 2:21 pm 
Site Owner

Post subject: Re: Changes to Skill of the Month
PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 4:42 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
Ah I remember you mentioning this in the FC a few weeks back.
Cooldown periods are nice, even for someone like me who always finishes 4th-5th, I get burnt out too hah. I hate dailyscape and that's what over the years the SKOTM feels like to me, why I'm very picky to which ones I sign up for.

3 - Hard to find something else to add as a competition because nothing can really be tracked. Most of those activities Jagex still has highscores for are long dead content. Duel Tournaments. Really?

I would be willing to donate GP for fun cause, but I still feel in the end, the same people will just win over and over. (to people who already have more than I ever will, hardly fun or spirited)

Who would be able to sign up? Sadly us still here on RSBandB is what made the SKOTM events needed to be revamped in the first place.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 5:25 pm 
Site Owner

The minigames are a big question mark. If anything RuneScore and clue scrolls are simple enough. That's why I wanted feedback on #3.

Anyone would be able to sign up.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2019, 11:03 pm 

RS Name: Lord Earth
Clan Name: Clan Quest
Shorter competitions might get me to sign up. Full 30 days contests aren't really anything more than an endurance contest IMO

Global Moderator since August 25, 2014 18:30:29

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2019, 1:29 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: Jade Gizmo
Clan Name: Pawscape
Jagex could of done lots more with the Seasonal Hiscores, that they always re-abandon quickly (BnB could of had our own spinoffs)
Yawn to any combat / bossing competitions. It's not me.
Back in the day RSBandB had lot of ingame events back when the community was bigger. I wish I partook in more of them.

Big issue is still finding a audience to sign up
but with more Skills a month , the more likely one of the skills I want will be picked so I can play too.

I lack suggestions (for any new events) or for any prizes?
it's just not the same game

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 2:57 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

RS Name: RRman Nz
I like all the changes, I would have to go through the whole list of mini game high scores but most of them would work. Since it's only 2 weeks how about adding an overall xp option into the mix?

Also maybe consider putting a double chance that achievements comps are drawn.

Post subject: Register and login to get these in-post ads to disappear
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 2:57 pm 
Rsbandb Donor

PostPosted: April 25th, 2019, 10:18 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Jamandy52
Clan Name: 1elitesc / Jamandy52
I am so happy I found this post. I was excited to sign up for the next competition. If you look at the last several-I either have 200m in them or I have been sick. As a teenager and before life and marriage- I LOVED 30 days of competitions. Now I love the idea of shorter ones.

I cannot wait to see what happens next. I dislike things like clues enough that would be motivating for me. I'm not sure how to fairly and realistically input anything not tracked on the external rs hiscores. Runescore sounds kinda fun too!

PostPosted: April 26th, 2019, 9:46 pm 
Site Owner

Our skill(s) of the month for May have been posted:

Firemaking in honour of our first competition ever: https://www.rsbandb.com/skilling-competitions/may2019firemaking

And Slayer since it's a good combat skill: https://www.rsbandb.com/skilling-competitions/may2019slayer

PostPosted: April 27th, 2019, 7:57 am 
Runite Member

RS Name: Jamandy52
Clan Name: 1elitesc / Jamandy52
I have happily signed up for both! These excite me very much! =D